Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah Rupert is a bad dude. I came back after being reminded that I am in fact a formicid, and he still nearly killed me. Had to blink around for a bit until his berserk wore off and I could actually tank him.

How... how did you blink around as an Antman??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

FulsomFrank posted:

How... how did you blink around as an Antman??
He's an AK - Lugonu still lets you blink around a bit.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He's an AK - Lugonu still lets you blink around a bit.

Ah, didn't realise that AK got to circumvent that rule. Interesting.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Heads up anyone playing on Trunk, Vehumet's mana-on-kill ability currently isn't working so plan accordingly (get a staff of energy)

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Luceid posted:

Heads up anyone playing on Trunk, Vehumet's mana-on-kill ability currently isn't working so plan accordingly (get a staff of energy)

I think we were wrong in Discord; you were using spellforged servitor, right? I think Vehumet's energy boost only triggers when you are directly responsible for a death, not a summon.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

jerkstoresup posted:

I think we were wrong in Discord; you were using spellforged servitor, right? I think Vehumet's energy boost only triggers when you are directly responsible for a death, not a summon.

I tested it killing things with bolt of cold and OOD too, nothing's giving mana back for me. I picked a lousy time to work on a caster!

edit: it works after a save/quit, so uh nevermind I guess but be wary just in case!!

Luceid fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 6, 2016

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FulsomFrank posted:

Ah, didn't realise that AK got to circumvent that rule. Interesting.

Lugonu warps space rather than you, so it works. Formicids can use Passage of Golubria too.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally getting back into this after a brief foray into it a few months back. I remember the basics, but it's fun figuring out the specifics. What's a good build for a summoner or some kind of "let your companions do the fighting" type character?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Hooray, I finally won my first Kobold Assassin ^ Dithmenos. I'm usually opting towards tanky or casty, but this guy won with zero magic skill. I had some good luck that made things easier in some ways, but I did learn a few lessons I could use to repeat it on less fortunate characters.

I already knew about needles of confusion and sleeping working on more targets than poison and curare due to being a hitdice check, but I didn't realize that Ancient Lichs would ignore them outright. Orbs of Fire go wihtout saying but Ancient Lichs provided more of a challenge for me than all of Slime Pits to my surprise, at first. My formicids tended to treat them more as speedbumps than anything else. My collection of rods of inaccuracy and iron didn't help me one bit, but the pair of rods of shadow I had saved the day. I was already stealthy enough that tabbing solo against orb guardians the monsters sometimes lost track of me midtab, but that alone wasn't quite enough. With adds, I got in a lot more distraction stabs, not to mention a friendly ettin isn't a joke.

If I didn't have the rods of shadow, I could have gotten away with bags of spiders and boxes of beasts, if not scrolls of summoning, or a different god altogether.

10/10 would KoAS again, would no magic again. Having started in 2006 I continually underestimate exactly how good evocables can be.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tweet my meat posted:

Finally getting back into this after a brief foray into it a few months back. I remember the basics, but it's fun figuring out the specifics. What's a good build for a summoner or some kind of "let your companions do the fighting" type character?

That isn't a really supported archetype anymore. All ally-based strategies should have you fighting side by side with them.

That said, if that's what you want, worship Hepliaqlkana

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I will not say this is a good build, but I'm currently having a little more fun with MuSu of Sif Muna than I expected. First, the summoning starting book really is quite nice. Having spammals, imps, and dog is a really nice progression for the early floors especially with mummy apts. The guardian golem is really nice when it explodes, leaving behind lasting clouds of flame- being a mummy I'm really glad I haven't been caught in that. Ice beasts and lightning spires are also good, and although my apts are bad I should have it online by lair. Second, Sif Muna is still a bit boring so far but a lot less tedious, and a tiny bit awesome. Only *** piety ATM, but the new channeling is pretty potent, 4-5 mp a turn, like ambrosia without the health or confusion, a lot more efficient in combat despite the piety cost since you only use it once. I have not yet tried the * ability to cast without mp, since I found a ring of magic early. Third, mummy still probably sucks, but the summoning start is surprisingly smooth... Before I'm forced to branch out with crap apts. I'll regret it later. But at least i can laugh at Menkaure.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

LordSloth posted:

. . . The guardian golem is really nice when it explodes, leaving behind lasting clouds of flame- . . . . . . I have not yet tried the * ability to cast without mp, since I found a ring of magic early . . .

a) WHY is this effect not listed? I've been skipping guardian golem because it can't so much as throw a punch

b) I have never gotten a rune with a mage without either a ring of magic or staff of power. It's such an essential piece of gear that I kind of think that MP should just be boosted

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Speleothing posted:

b) I have never gotten a rune with a mage without either a ring of magic or staff of power. It's such an essential piece of gear that I kind of think that MP should just be boosted

concise, clear example of anecdotal fallacy

(I'm not trying to disagree with you, it's just that it's a perfect two sentences to show that off)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I just did a 3 rune run with my draconian conjurer and I ended up having allies fight a lot of battles for me. Spellforged servitor is the best spell in the game and channel death let's you steamroll through a lot of vaults once you get momentum.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
code:
B - the +8 ring mail of Duty {*Contam rElec rF+++ rN+}
drat fine armour for a caster, crawl.

Edit update: Found OCPA. Time to become the strongest Demigod :getin:

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 7, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Speleothing posted:

a) WHY is this effect not listed? I've been skipping guardian golem because it can't so much as throw a punch

... Let me know how new Sif works for you. I've only tried once after all. That two active abilities seem perfect.

OTOH, i will disagree, I have gotten that rune without. I do feel level one mp should be higher, but the rest is fine.

What I do feel is I'm hating the inventory limit. I just want four more slots, is a 28 letter alphabet too much to ask the devs for? Somehow my packrat conflicts are worse than ever, despite the seeming removal of items.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

LordSloth posted:

What I do feel is I'm hating the inventory limit. I just want four more slots, is a 28 letter alphabet too much to ask the devs for? Somehow my packrat conflicts are worse than ever, despite the seeming removal of items.
If you get standard English to adopt four more letters, then *of course* Crawl inventories would grow by those four letters. I'll point that in an alternative history where German was the dominating language, you'd enjoy 30 item inventories, thanks to äöüß. Bitte sehr, gern geschehen!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

dpeg posted:

If you get standard English to adopt four more letters, then *of course* Crawl inventories would grow by those four letters. I'll point that in an alternative history where German was the dominating language, you'd enjoy 30 item inventories, thanks to äöüß. Bitte sehr, gern geschehen!

Can we adopt kanji instead, then?

E: 紫の = potion of mutation

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Aaaaa. Shafted myself and landed next to a bailey entrance. Inside were 10 gnolls with electric halberds and an orc knight with an antimagic battleaxe. Qazlal was instrumental in surviving that insanity, got good weapons and an xp potion out of it.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Floodkiller posted:

Can we adopt kanji instead, then?

E: 紫の = potion of mutation
Jokes aside, if you want my real opinion as a designer: I think that tight inventories are good because they potentially force decisions. I realise that, in Crawl, the lack of a tight clock means that storing stuff on the floor largely circumvents the inventory cap. (Two notes: 1. Not fully, as everyone notes in portal vaults or the Abyss. 2. Check Brogue for a game with a smaller inventory and a tight enough clock to make it work -- the decisions are agonising and meaningful.)

If I had my say, I'd solve this conundrum not in the lazy way (increase inventory) because while that does solve the interface problem, it does away with the choices. Instead, I'd make items on the ground disappear after a while. I've never formally proposed this (and, like any bigger change, this would necessitate a whole bunch of follow-up tweaks), but I'm convinced Crawl would become a better (=more meaningful decisions, that's my metric) game for it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

My DSCK in my phone game is doing better than any of my GaFis have online or on my pc and it's upsetting me

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Speleothing posted:

Summons a protective golem. It redirects the injuries of its allies (but not
the caster) to itself, though it risks overheating after absorbing significant
amounts of damage. It will gain more health at high power.

Probably 'overheating' could be more clear. :)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Considering that's clear as mud, yeah.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Yeah, honestly when I read that I read 'that sounds real bad, so I guess it will stop working reliably when it takes damage', not 'this thing will make cool fire clouds for you when it gets punched'.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Can Of Worms posted:

code:
B - the +8 ring mail of Duty {*Contam rElec rF+++ rN+}
drat fine armour for a caster, crawl.

Edit update: Found OCPA. Time to become the strongest Demigod :getin:

I've found OCPA two games in a row now, and one of them was even a heavy armor caster with 30 str and 37 int, but I don't know how you could use that thing unless you're a Cheibro.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've found OCPA two games in a row now, and one of them was even a heavy armor caster with 30 str and 37 int, but I don't know how you could use that thing unless you're a Cheibro.

He said he was a demigod; they get double the normal stat-ups by level, don't they? That might make it usable.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Prism posted:

He said he was a demigod; they get double the normal stat-ups by level, don't they? That might make it usable.

Yeah. I can't remember how high their stats get by the end of the game, but I didn't think it would be much more than the 30/37 I had.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah. I can't remember how high their stats get by the end of the game, but I didn't think it would be much more than the 30/37 I had.

I misunderstood then, I thought you meant that your stats were enough to use it with, and 30/37 is certainly going to be achievable for a demigod with a couple +stat randarts. (I don't remember how high demigod stats get either, other than that they get more of them.)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Really good on say HO/Gr of Veh too. I even used High Council alongside it (rip best hat). Finished with 28 str 37 int (prioritized str items more than usual because of the armour).

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/hyperrchandra/morgue-hyperrchandra-20161031-082058.txt

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

rchandra posted:

Really good on say HO/Gr of Veh too. I even used High Council alongside it (rip best hat). Finished with 28 str 37 int (prioritized str items more than usual because of the armour).

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/hyperrchandra/morgue-hyperrchandra-20161031-082058.txt

Vehumet's extra wiz would definitely help. I could cast in the thing, but not very well. I was casting tornado in shadow dragon scales, for reference.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Aaaaa. Shafted myself and landed next to a bailey entrance. Inside were 10 gnolls with electric halberds and an orc knight with an antimagic battleaxe. Qazlal was instrumental in surviving that insanity, got good weapons and an xp potion out of it.
I love getting this bailey as beogh follower and gifting all my orcs elec halberds

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

You know, I've never really played as a Hill Orc. Maybe I should change that. Do followers automatically grab better gear sitting around? What happens to them if you get banished?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They do not grab gear, you eventually get an ability which lets you give gifts to named followers(orcs earn names after leveling enough), one gift per orc.

If you get banished once you get back they'll still be hanging out

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or you can recall them into the acid trip that is the Abyss. It's not like you have to suffer alone!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm thinking of running a troll of Jiyva because that sounds super fun. Should I start out with an earlier god? Any advice for gods that help early on but have pretty survivable punishments?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I'm thinking of running a troll of Jiyva because that sounds super fun. Should I start out with an earlier god? Any advice for gods that help early on but have pretty survivable punishments?

I've heard Fedhas is good for this sort of thing, but I don't have good experience with it because I don't use Fedhas if I can help it. I would advise you to have a good plan to survive to Slime:5 if you are dead set on Jiyva, because that may be the sole altar that game.

Alternatively, if you don't care about winrate or start scumming, keep trying faded altars until you get a Jiyva start (or find an early Jiyva altar/Slime temple).

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

I've heard Fedhas is good for this sort of thing, but I don't have good experience with it because I don't use Fedhas if I can help it. I would advise you to have a good plan to survive to Slime:5 if you are dead set on Jiyva, because that may be the sole altar that game.

Alternatively, if you don't care about winrate or start scumming, keep trying faded altars until you get a Jiyva start (or find an early Jiyva altar/Slime temple).

Every single game I've played with the slime pits in it always had an altar outside the entrance.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I've tried Trolls of Jiyva more than a few times in the past and they're really painful to play if you get an early altar, slimes just eat too many valuable items (unless they changed this behavior recently). Also trolls + slimify is a good combo until you run into nasty enemies immune to it, in which case you better have a plan B, which will usually be expensive because slimes love gobbling up your potential plan B's off-screen.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

My second ever win was a TrCK that left Xom for Jiyva. It was a very fun trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Every single game I've played with the slime pits in it always had an altar outside the entrance.

You got extremely lucky.

• Locked thread