Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

The MSJ posted:

New Spider-Man trailer coming, so here is a trailer for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbLP_SmhtuM

Armpit webs, going full Ditko

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Horse posted:

Armpit webs, going full Ditko

No, they're really loving not.

Unless you just mean design.

In which case his colors are too desaturated.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I know this is probably "organic webshooters" territory, but I really don't like that Spider-Man, the perennial "just scraping by" superhero (at least in theory) is getting fed cool poo poo from hyper-capitalist Iron Man.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You'd think Spidey could earn a good chunk of change by just bringing a donation bowl with him when he saves the streets.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's more accurate to the modern day. The lower class are only allowed to elevate themselves on the whims of the wealthy who find them entertaining, and STILL only scrape by.

Iron Man needs full time availability for Spider-Man but can only guarantee him 25 hours of work a week and no benefits.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Electromax posted:

You'd think Spidey could earn a good chunk of change by just bringing a donation bowl with him when he saves the streets.

This Spidey should have a Patreon

Its possible Tony just gives him the good stuff when he needs him. Who knows the timeline because its 20 seconds long, but Peter is both familiar with Happy, and back in his sweatpants suit. Tony might have yanked the Civil War suit back once he didn't need Peter anymore.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tony Stark has enough gear and money that the end of Iron Man 3 was him basically throwing out 50 suits of gold-titanium alloy superweapons, and he's meant to be sweating Peter over what looks like an under armour onesie?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Arriving too late, after the burglar has fled the scene and Uncle Ben is beyond saving, Peter Parker cradles him in time to hear his final words.

"Peter... Criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot. With great power you must become a bat".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Terrible Horse posted:

Its possible Tony just gives him the good stuff when he needs him. Who knows the timeline because its 20 seconds long, but Peter is both familiar with Happy, and back in his sweatpants suit. Tony might have yanked the Civil War suit back once he didn't need Peter anymore.

I'm certain that scene is mid-Civil War, the way it's presented is that Pete is seeing the suit for the first time. It looks like Happy goes to pick up Peter for the fight and presents him with the new suit (after some comical confusion where he changes into his dorky suit). I think he's "familiar" with Happy to the extent that Tony probably text him "hey my guy is picking you up" and Happy showed up to get him.

EDIT: actually it looks like they're in a hotel so Tony probably put him up somewhere close to the fight

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

greatn posted:

It's more accurate to the modern day. The lower class are only allowed to elevate themselves on the whims of the wealthy who find them entertaining, and STILL only scrape by.

Iron Man needs full time availability for Spider-Man but can only guarantee him 25 hours of work a week and no benefits.

I actually wanted to post something along these lines but it felt too Jacobin.

It's true, though. It feels like Marvel is taking their working-class hero and turning him into Elon Musk's protege.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also can I ask

The gently caress is Peter recording himself without the mask on IN THE SUIT for

Will he just not have a secret identity this time around?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm certain that scene is mid-Civil War, the way it's presented is that Pete is seeing the suit for the first time. It looks like Happy goes to pick up Peter for the fight and presents him with the new suit (after some comical confusion where he changes into his dorky suit). I think he's "familiar" with Happy to the extent that Tony probably text him "hey my guy is picking you up" and Happy showed up to get him.

EDIT: actually it looks like they're in a hotel so Tony probably put him up somewhere close to the fight
It appears to be a different suit than the CW one, what with the armpit wing nonsense.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

True but I don't buy that he went back to his old suit and then freaked out over armpit webs. Also the "minor upgrade" thing seems like snarky Tony Stark language for "I made you an expensive new suit that's not made of sweat pants". I think the webs are either a feature he didn't use in CW or something he webs up on the spot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Burkion posted:

Also can I ask

The gently caress is Peter recording himself without the mask on IN THE SUIT for

Will he just not have a secret identity this time around?

The whole direction they're going with Tony and Pete in these movies is that the former is out to back the other so that he can also indoctrinate him. The camera in the suit may all be part of some co-ordinated marketing tool.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Peter Parker hasn't been barely scraping by for a long time now. His dad's the mayor, he was the president of a super-science factory, and I think now he's the headmaster of the X-Men school

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Peter Parker hasn't been barely scraping by for a long time now. His dad's the mayor, he was the president of a super-science factory, and I think now he's the headmaster of the X-Men school

B-b-butt he's not a mutant!!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Basically, the whole Favreau connection is that he was the original "indie director" they got to jump start Iron Man, so now with Cop Car-guy at the helm it's gonna be Iron Man 4.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why dont they just shoot Spiderman dead? Is he faster than a speeding bullet? I hardly think so. His spider sense wouldn't be able to keep up with a machinegun

so unrealistic

loving BS

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

You know when he was?

When he was a kid in highschool at the start of his career

Funny that this is the same set up.

But no let's just have Tony invent and give him everything he needs to make sure Peter can stay kid friendly and happy go lucky because who needs depth or just gently caress it

Just gently caress it. This movie is going to be a trash fire.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Faster than a speeding reboot!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

You know when he was?

When he was a kid in highschool at the start of his career

Funny that this is the same set up.

But no let's just have Tony invent and give him everything he needs to make sure Peter can stay kid friendly and happy go lucky because who needs depth or just gently caress it

Just gently caress it. This movie is going to be a trash fire.

They already did a movie where Spiderman was a lovely crying high school student, I'm fine with new Spiderman not being a lovely crying high school student again

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:agreed: high school kids suck anyway, why do you want anything school related in this movie to begin with

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I want the middle aged dad Spiderman movie, bring back Maguire and forget the rest of this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Spider-Man was married to a supermodel, yes, but he was still scraping by in a one bedroom apartment in NY and totally stoked when he found $20 bucks on the street when I read the comics in the 1980s.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I want the middle aged dad Spiderman movie, bring back Maguire and forget the rest of this.

No can do, Slurms. Marvel freaks out whenever his Dad Coefficient goes too high.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know this is probably "organic webshooters" territory, but I really don't like that Spider-Man, the perennial "just scraping by" superhero (at least in theory) is getting fed cool poo poo from hyper-capitalist Iron Man.

Like all the other Avengers, he's a Stark employee.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
the movie is called homecoming and is centered around him in high school so the movie is doing that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

They already did a movie where Spiderman was a lovely crying high school student, I'm fine with new Spiderman not being a lovely crying high school student again

If you're going to evoke Ditko in the imagery wouldn't it make sense to evoke Ditko in the story?

No of course it wouldn't because Ditko's style is about as far from what Marvel or Sony wants to do with a super hero property as possible. They want to keep Spider-Man sanitized and kid friendly, despite the fact that he should be a reflection of youth- frustrated, bitter, wanting to change the world for the better but not knowing how to. This was true in the 60s when he was made and it's still true today.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Peter will have a falling out with Tony during the movie because of Tony's shady poo poo. It'd be nice to be wrong and have a good Spider-Man movie again.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
for bein a genius, spiderman is pretty drat bad at getting a job apparently

foreverially poor, despite superpowers and superintellect

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah but the whole stated point of this was that they wanted to do a younger Peter Parker who had to deal with teenager problems to be truer to the original comics, which Marvel is the best at doing. The two previous incarnations were seniors on their way out of high school and you only got some token bullying scenes from the high school setting. Giving him a wealthy financier is about as far from the original comics you can possibly get, why would he worry about bullying when he's an Avenger with Tony Stark mentoring him and lending him money?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Burkion posted:

No of course it wouldn't because Ditko's style is about as far from what Marvel or Sony wants to do with a super hero property as possible. They want to keep Spider-Man sanitized and kid friendly, despite the fact that he should be a reflection of youth- frustrated, bitter, wanting to change the world for the better but not knowing how to. This was true in the 60s when he was made and it's still true today.

Sorry, this isn't fun. The new Spider-Man will dab and Snapchat and feel good and save the world, probably from a big blue pillar of light shooting up into the sky. You're going to love it.

I said: You Are Going To Love It

Zzulu posted:

Again, the nature of comic book smarts is that a "pretty good" engineer can make 4 AI-controlled mechanical arms with no external power source, and it barely rates as an invention.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

If you're going to evoke Ditko in the imagery wouldn't it make sense to evoke Ditko in the story?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Peter will have a falling out with Tony during the movie because of Tony's shady poo poo. It'd be nice to be wrong and have a good Spider-Man movie again.

Spiderman is like 60 years old and has been written by hundreds of different people. Sometimes he's even in space. There's no "should be" about it. You have a Spiderman you like. Great. But Spiderman is large, Spiderman contains multitudes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

yeah that era in comics where peter was tony's protoge was cool for like half a minute but then spider-man comics ended up really boring until the devil made everyone forget who spider-man was so he could go back to the relatable 'just scraping by' stuff

but i dunno maybe kids these days dream less about the freedom of swinging across new york city and more about being groomed by peter thiel

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Spiderman is like 60 years old and has been written by hundreds of different people. Sometimes he's even in space. There's no "should be" about it. You have a Spiderman you like. Great. But Spiderman is large, Spiderman contains multitudes.

They're the ones bringing it back to his roots.

I'm not.

They're the ones who keep jerking fans off with Ditko designs without any of Ditko's style.

They're the ones making this about kid Peter Parker again.

They could make this about Peter in space, they could do any number of things with it. They're not. They're just doing the original stories again but this time with the edges filed off so no one has to feel uncomfortable.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zzulu posted:

realtalk it would make alot of sense to how spider-man stories tend to go if peter parker had adhd

and not in the haha 'distracted by shiny things' tv adhd, the actual 'has hella trouble in school or keeping down a job that utilizes your intelligence' kind

boy makes his one nuts scientific innovation(web-slingers) but doesn't do much more science poo poo beyond that because crime-fighting ends up so much more stimulating than being cooped up in a lab

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I will take back every bad thing I've said about the MCU if the new Spider-man movies show Peter growing into a mature and well-adjusted adult with a loving wife and a happy famhahahahaha I need to stop daydreaming!!

:smith:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Equeen posted:

I will take back every bad thing I've said about the MCU if the new Spider-man movies show Peter growing into a mature and well-adjusted adult with a loving wife and a happy famhahahahaha I need to stop daydreaming!!

:smith:

agreed homecoming would sound way better if his mentor was hawkeye

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

but i dunno maybe kids these days dream less about the freedom of swinging across new york city and more about being groomed by peter thiel

Again, a great idea if they had any nuts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

this spiderman drains the blood of young criminals to stay young and vibrant himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

this spiderman drains the blood of young criminals to stay young and vibrant himself.

a sort of black widow, if you will...

• Locked thread