Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Fidget Cube update:

I bet someone $20 I could get a Chinese knockoff before backers got theirs. So I ordered one on ebay on November 17 and it arrived November 30th, $6.50 us and free shipping.

Now the cost for the actual cube was $14 or $19 during the Kickstarter and $25 retail. Also none of the backer rewards have shipped or arrived yet, though they were just promised to arrive "December before Christmas" so they're not late.

Anyway the thing I got looks and functions identically and the little instruction sheet says "Fidget Cube" on it. And I'll be ahead $14 soon.

You probably have some of china's signature free lead and funny chemicals too which is always nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

unpacked robinhood posted:

You probably have some of china's signature free lead and funny chemicals too which is always nice

Unlike the kickstarted ones which will be uniquely handcrafted by American patriots?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

unpacked robinhood posted:

So the same thing as the "real" cubes manufactured in the factory next door.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
You mean the same factory with same materials.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The real Fidget Cube uses only artisanal lead.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

fishmech posted:

Fidget Cube update:

I bet someone $20 I could get a Chinese knockoff before backers got theirs. So I ordered one on ebay on November 17 and it arrived November 30th, $6.50 us and free shipping.

Now the cost for the actual cube was $14 or $19 during the Kickstarter and $25 retail. Also none of the backer rewards have shipped or arrived yet, though they were just promised to arrive "December before Christmas" so they're not late.

Anyway the thing I got looks and functions identically and the little instruction sheet says "Fidget Cube" on it. And I'll be ahead $14 soon.

And the ebay ripoffs even use the same artwork as the kickstarter amazing.

*buys three*

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Foxhound posted:

They were? What?

Someone should make a Kickstarter to cash in on this gap in the market.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Sormus posted:

You mean the same factory with same materials.

I will only pay double what this item costs, and not a penny less! Otherwise I might get scammed.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Dec 2, 2016

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

A quick google confirms that they've been well and truly beaten to market.
I don't remember which company promotes these knock-offs in Facebook, but it's so pleasant to read the butthurt comments touting the product being ripoff. :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zanzibar Ham posted:

BRB, selling paperweights made from artisanal, radioisotope‐free lead harvested from Roman shipwrecks and mediæval church roofs.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Why build a gaming PC when you can spend even more money on a handheld that will let you play Steam games (poorly)(on a tiny screen)(only ones with Linux ports)?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

And locally sourced.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Also, Smach is a super dumb name. With the Z at the end, it's even dumber. It only needs some meaningless number for the trifecta.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

Fidget Cube update:

which one did you order?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

well why not posted:

which one did you order?

I went with this seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/152312869778?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=451520880793&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pebble, one of Kickstarter's biggest success stories is out of business.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Veotax posted:

Pebble, one of Kickstarter's biggest success stories is out of business.

Christ, what a garbage article. They refused an offer for a $740 million buyout from Citizen last year, then refused a $70 million offer from Intel after the Pebble Round didn't really go anywhere, and now they're bankrupt. It's not "a blow to crowdfunding", it's bad business practice.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

gschmidl posted:

Christ, what a garbage article. They refused an offer for a $740 million buyout from Citizen last year, then refused a $70 million offer from Intel after the Pebble Round didn't really go anywhere, and now they're bankrupt. It's not "a blow to crowdfunding", it's bad business practice.

No more warranty sounds super illegal if you sell in Europe. But then they completely hosed up their first Kickstarter by not getting the required declarations of safety to import into the EU, which meant you could watch the nice import guy destroying it, if you were unlucky...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Decius posted:

No more warranty sounds super illegal if you sell in Europe. But then they completely hosed up their first Kickstarter by not getting the required declarations of safety to import into the EU, which meant you could watch the nice import guy destroying it, if you were unlucky...

True, though if they cease to exist, they cannot provide warranty...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gschmidl posted:

Pebble still probably would've fallen apart even if they accepted those offers but yeah what the gently caress is wrong with people not accepting a 740 million buyout? Did they think they could get billions like Occulus or that they were going to lead the way and be generating billions in revenue via their lovely gimmick product? Accept the hilariously inflated buyout offer and spend the rest of your lift in extreme luxury doing any and everything you can possibly think of. :psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pebble still probably would've fallen apart even if they accepted those offers but yeah what the gently caress is wrong with people not accepting a 740 million buyout? Did they think they could get billions like Occulus or that they were going to lead the way and be generating billions in revenue via their lovely gimmick product? Accept the hilariously inflated buyout offer and spend the rest of your lift in extreme luxury doing any and everything you can possibly think of. :psyduck:

Microsoft offered Yahoo! $45 billion to buy them out in 2008. Earlier this year, Verizon bought out Yahoo! for $4.8 billion (yes, nearly 90% less) and is actually negotiating to pay even less in total because of the email passwords leak Yahoo! suffered.

Stupid turndowns of high buyouts happen all the time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Maybe if Pebbles were good and made by a company that didn't habitually promise poo poo they were never going to deliver, or if they did deliver, it would be mad late, they might not have died.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Barney, where's my Pebble?!"

"Hehehe, read the risks and challenges, Fred!"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Are we allowed to say lol Pebble here?

Because lol Pebble.

I love all the wailing and gnashing of tears from people about this. Also the crazies who are blaming FitBit for making an absurdly shrewd business decision. They get all the good parts of Pebble and don't have to support their broken products or deal with any of their contracts. But nope, FitBit are just BIG MEANIES FOR KILLING MY TOY WATCH AND NOT LIGHTING MONEY ON FIRE TO PLEASE ME. :mad:

How the gently caress are people still this stupid?

gschmidl posted:

It's why crowdfunding is a fundamentally flawed idea. Typically investors not only get equity or bonds (which kickstarer will never give anyone) but they also get a high level of access/insight into how the company runs. Kickstarter has no requirement that you have to actually have a solid business plan or provide updates beyond "working on the $COOL_THING guys it'll be great!"

If there was a requirement that these projects would have to comply with standard operating procedure in business then sure, go ahead, but I doubt even with that it would make a difference. The typical backer who would read that crap and care about it is the same person who was still thinking the OUYA! was going to somehow dethrone Sony/MSFT. They people who care are delusional zealots, not businesspeople who know what differentiates success from failure.

axeil has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Dec 8, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think it was in Silicon Valley or one of the tech bubble threads, but there's some kind of perception in tech that taking a deal like that means you're just in it for the money and don't have confidence in the product (gently caress yes i would), and your company is actually weak and not a good investment.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, will pebbles no longer work now or is it just buyer beware?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomPauI posted:

So, will pebbles no longer work now or is it just buyer beware?

They probably won’t receive software updates and will cease to function as smart watches at some point in the future when your phone receives an update.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
And Fitbit bought all the coding so it won't be possible for people to take a diy/abandonware approach?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

And they still haven't made delivers of their backer rewards. Jesus Christ.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

kjetting posted:

I just don't understand how anyone, except maybe Xzibit, would think that screens on their footwear is a good idea.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prtyny/disco-dog-the-smartphone-controlled-led-dog-vest?ref=tag

Tears In A Vial has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Dec 8, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Finally, a graphic equalizer for my doge

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
LUST DOG

:eyepop:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

You were a lust dog.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Hmm, well, light up vests are a real thing to keep dogs safe at night, so one with a simple pattern-display setup for a bit extra could be kind of fun...

quote:

$300

Welp, so much for that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's at least a working prototype, even if it's of dubious value. The "lost dog" mode is a neat feature, but that could be built into light-up LED collar that could act as a tracker if the dog leaves certain parameters (like your home and yard) or smartphone range.

Oh, wait, TrackR already works for that purpose.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

that's no way to talk about ur mom

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RandomPauI posted:

And Fitbit bought all the coding so it won't be possible for people to take a diy/abandonware approach?

Nah, people could do it themselves. It would just be a huge pain, and they'd have to keep on top of it as iOS/Android devices continue to update and stuff.

So basically most of the people with them would have to trust some random guy's app to work right.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

red19fire posted:

I think it was in Silicon Valley or one of the tech bubble threads, but there's some kind of perception in tech that taking a deal like that means you're just in it for the money and don't have confidence in the product (gently caress yes i would), and your company is actually weak and not a good investment.

These people are in it for the money though. Or they think they'll be the next Steve Jobs or Bill Gates and sit atop the world as a (multi-billionaire) tech god others will worship.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1417574484/cubesat-project-earth

quote:

Many believe that what we are being shown is not an accurate portrayal of the world we live on. There are many who believe that the size and shape of Earth are modified or altered in official NASA images through the use of things such as fish-eye lenses. Some individuals have launched balloons in an attempt to get images of Earth without any hidden agenda or visual trickery.

We do not want anyone other than the people directly involved (you) to have any say in this project. No favors or agendas shall interfere with our goal. This is why we refuse any outside "assistance" from anyone other than those that contribute directly to the campaign. Again, you.

We plan to go higher, much higher, in order to obtain unaltered images of our planet to see whether or not there are any signs of curvature as well as hopefully getting proof of the tens of thousands of other satellites and space junk said to be orbiting our planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah, because that's not been done at all by anyone. I weep for the future.