Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
In their defense, there was that one person who managed to wreck on their way out of the parking garage. Careening off of the wall, down the steps, and into one of the pillars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

kuffs posted:

Heading either direction on E Park Blvd (west is best) you can easily catch air going the speed limit at the K intersection. Was my little burst of joy in an otherwise dull commute.

I was secretly hoping I'd do it in front of someone with a dash cam and I'd end up on utoob.

I was also able to catch air leaving the parking garage at the last place I worked. Incredibly fun on the DRZ. That is, until building security told me to cut it out.

There is a big dip on eastbound Frankford at Kelly, especially in the right lane.. Notice all the car scrapes on the far side of that one. The first time I hit it, I caught air on my old FZR1000, and was totally unprepared, since it doesn't look all that bad from a distance.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 4, 2016

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

In their defense, there was that one person who managed to wreck on their way out of the parking garage. Careening off of the wall, down the steps, and into one of the pillars.

Always someone ruining it for the rest of us. Though that was a car and not a bike. An interviewee no less (they didn't get the job).

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Alceste posted:

I did have the cam running, yeah, for as long as the battery held out. I still need to dump the footage and see what I got, so once I get it on YT I'll let you guys know. Unfortunately my little knockoff doesn't have external mic capability so the audio is muted and lovely.

Excellent. I may not be in it much and certainly didn't look flattering doing it, but I'd love to see your angle. Especially the view on Chapman crossing the dam.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I finally got time go through the footage I captured, and I am disappointed to tell you that most of it is fairly unremarkable and the battery died before we got to Ray Roberts. Looks like I get a little under 2 hours of continuous use out of it, which is probably the biggest disadvantage to not using a real GoPro and something I may have to address later.

Anyway, I took a few screenshots from moments I was looking at you, so you can admire your studliness atop the Duke. I liked the white helmet with the KTM colors, by the way. Most of the rest was just standard riding stuff and a lot of me looking for you in my mirrors.

Some idiot made an inane comment during the 10 seconds I accidentally had this made public, but I hid it again, if it matters.

http://imgur.com/a/FamWU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
So, did anyone else have today off to enjoy this fantastic weather? Days like this are why we ride.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
gently caress no, I've been working all day looking at the gorgeous weather through my goddamn window like usual.

I did get in a pedal bike ride this morning at 6 AM but it was dark and 46 degrees, so, not optimal conditions for that. I got to experience 30 minutes of sunshine when I walked the kids to school and came back but that was it.

How'd you get today off?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Alceste posted:

gently caress no, I've been working all day looking at the gorgeous weather through my goddamn window like usual.

I did get in a pedal bike ride this morning at 6 AM but it was dark and 46 degrees, so, not optimal conditions for that. I got to experience 30 minutes of sunshine when I walked the kids to school and came back but that was it.

How'd you get today off?

I work most weekend days, so my days off are usually during the week, and had requested today off due to it being the USMC birthday. I take it off nearly every year. My timing, for once, was excellent. Went for a little celebratory ride. My quiet pipes did save my butt once, since I saw the cop before he saw my "arrest me" red paint.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 11, 2016

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Oh, yeah, I actually knew about the USMC birthday. My closest colleague reminded me of the occasion by warning me he might wake up in jail this morning.

I Am Not A Cop, nor do I know any personally these days, but I was under the impression that ATGATT and luggage on your bike was basically stealth mode for motorcycles. Then again it must be difficult to stay below attention-grabbing speeds on a ZX14.

Fridays are typically slow for me so I might be able to sneak out today for a bit. I'll have to see how it goes. I work from home, which is great, but on really nice days sometimes I wish I had to go in just so I could spend a little time on the SV trying to enjoy it. Then I remember that I'm so much less productive at the office that it's not really worth it.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I work an overnight shift and commute by bike most evenings/mornings. Luckily I'm either going into work at 10pm and there aren't many people on the road, or going home at 10am and I'm going more or less the opposite direction everyone else is.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I imagine one good thing about that schedule is not feeling the effects of DST as much. Like, it should be dark at 10 PM and light at 10 AM year round, right? Does DST piss you off as much as it does other people? It always bothers me in the fall and winter that it gets dark so early. Before I started WFH I used to hate having to drive home from work in the dark.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Alceste posted:

I Am Not A Cop, nor do I know any personally these days, but I was under the impression that ATGATT and luggage on your bike was basically stealth mode for motorcycles. Then again it must be difficult to stay below attention-grabbing speeds on a ZX14

I ATGATT and usually have a tail bag or saddlebags, and I have definitely accidentally done stupid poo poo in front of cops and never had any attention (knock on wood).

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Sagebrush posted:

I ATGATT and usually have a tail bag or saddlebags, and I have definitely accidentally done stupid poo poo in front of cops and never had any attention (knock on wood).

Me, too. But a bright red bike is a magnet for the eyeballs. I had a Carrollton moto cop staring at me as I went by a couple weeks ago, he seemed surprised when I gave him the wave.

I nearly picked up a green one a couple of weeks before I bought this one, that would probably be even more of a red flag.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 12, 2016

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Dunno how much you guys enjoy the adv dork look, but CCoD has a bunch of gear on sale. Including the current-generation Klim Badlands jacket in L and XL. 50% off. Still $500 with that discount, but it's a hell of a jacket. With the exception of the weird upper arm vents being kind of a pain to use, I love the poo poo out of mine.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Anyone off of work tomorrow? I am, and hoping to use up the remnant of my tires.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Saturday and Sunday are looking a little chilly at this point, but this may be my last chance to do any fun riding for a while (holidays/upcoming surgery/winter maintenance projects happening soon). Anyone up for a weekend ride?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Always up for a ride. Let us know where you want to meet or if you have a plan.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Busy weekend ahead for me, but I don't have anything specfic planned for Sunday just yet. That's quite liable to change, though.

e: This'd also be assuming I could borrow the li'l Dook again unless we're going on an impromptu dual-sport adventure.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Give us a place to meet and I'm up for it. I was going to try and hit the saturday ride at Maxim too. Though I'll leave the hooligan stuff to other folks.
The Duke is available.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Does anyone need set of riding shoes? Good for casual outings. Sidi Doha in a US size 11, but for narrow feet. They crush my pinky toe. I am offering them here first. If o one here wants them, I'll throw them in the main for sale section.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Wish I could go with you guys again but we have to spend next week with grandparents and in laws in Indiana and we are en route now. There's nowhere worth a drat to ride around where we'll be so I didn't bother to bring the bike. Gonna be a boring week.

Hope that wind dies down for you.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I am off Sunday, so if something is set that doesn't involve some off roading, and you all are willing to meet a shaved Wookiee, post here.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Flint Ironstag posted:

I am off Sunday, so if something is set that doesn't involve some off roading, and you all are willing to meet a shaved Wookiee, post here.

I too am off on Sunday. Post up where you want to meet and what time and I'll be there.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

I too am off on Sunday. Post up where you want to meet and what time and I'll be there.

My apologies, things didn't work as planned today. The only bike related thing I got to do was put on the adapter for my tank bag. Rest of the day is me pretending to be a grown-up, and doing responsible things.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well I went on my own ride, with black jack and hookers, well without the blackjack and hookers. I just hit a few of the familiar roads around McKinney.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
And everything always happens about the same time. The tires on the Bandit are about shot so I've been riding the Duke around town. I picked up a pair of industrial staples somewhere in the rear tire of the Duke. Not even 800 miles on it yet and I have to replace a tire. (Yes I am familiar with riding around with plugged tires and it doesn't bother me, it's just that the holes for the staples are so close to each other, there isn't much material left between the holes to make me feel comfortable riding on them for any distance.)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Skreemer posted:

And everything always happens about the same time. The tires on the Bandit are about shot so I've been riding the Duke around town. I picked up a pair of industrial staples somewhere in the rear tire of the Duke. Not even 800 miles on it yet and I have to replace a tire. (Yes I am familiar with riding around with plugged tires and it doesn't bother me, it's just that the holes for the staples are so close to each other, there isn't much material left between the holes to make me feel comfortable riding on them for any distance.)

If you want a wider tire I have a PR4 rear for my SV650 sitting in my garage that I want to give away. It has maybe 5k on it? It's a 160/60 but the internet claims it'll fit on the duke 390. Though looking at the youtube video of it fitting doesn't make it look like a great idea.

Goes for anyone else, I have a front/rear PR4 off an SV650 with plenty of miles left on them, I swapped Q3s onto it for the track and saved them but at this point I'd rather have the space in my garage. I should probably give some bikes away too I haven't ridden at all since my kid was born in June. Anyone want to buy a VFR800?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

M. Night Skymall posted:

If you want a wider tire I have a PR4 rear for my SV650 sitting in my garage that I want to give away. It has maybe 5k on it? It's a 160/60 but the internet claims it'll fit on the duke 390. Though looking at the youtube video of it fitting doesn't make it look like a great idea.

Goes for anyone else, I have a front/rear PR4 off an SV650 with plenty of miles left on them, I swapped Q3s onto it for the track and saved them but at this point I'd rather have the space in my garage. I should probably give some bikes away too I haven't ridden at all since my kid was born in June. Anyone want to buy a VFR800?

Congrats on the kid, too bad for the riding. Which video did you watch? The standard tire is the 150/60-17, though I've seen forum reports that a 160/60-17 does fit.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

M. Night Skymall posted:

I was wondering how that whole thing was going since you've been so quiet on this thread. Congratulations on the baby and I hope you're enjoying the parenthood experience. It starts getting good right about now.

If Skreemer doesn't claim that rear tire, I might like to take those PR4s off your hands for cash money or a bottle of good wine or an economy pack of diapers or something. My PR2s are old now, and although they have plenty of tread left, they're a little squared off and they don't feel as good on my pathetically rare rides as they once did.

Can't help you with the VFR though. :sigh:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alceste posted:

Needs tires too...

I can pass on these and leave them for Alceste as they are a set and I need only a rear. If transport for the tires is needed, I work right down the street from where M. Night Skymall lives, and can grab the tires and get them to at least Plano.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Most kind, both of you.

My SV remains functional, even on the old tires, so if you need this more, please don't let me take priority.

But if you felt like meeting me in Plano with said tires I'd be happy to buy you...well, with your schedule, would it be breakfast? I was going to say lunch but would you be in bed by then? What works for you?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Then again I would need to get something back to MNS in thanks for those tires, were I to take them.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
We can relay in both directions. MNS just let em know when I can pick them up.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

Anyone want to buy a VFR800?

I might be in the market, actually, although it may be a month or two before I can really put anything together.

e: Oh jeez, that's quite new. I'm more of a shitbiek man myself.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 16, 2016

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

N is for Nipples posted:

I might be in the market, actually, although it may be a month or two before I can really put anything together.

e: Oh jeez, that's quite new. I'm more of a shitbiek man myself.

Did MNS leave the ghost skulls on it, that's like +2 to sexiness and +8 to price.
The VFR is a drat nice bike. If it's in your price range to buy and for care and upkeep, I'd suggest it highly.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I don't know what year the VFR is, but, having recently owned a 2007, I can highly recommend one.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Is anyone going to the motorcycle show this year?

Dallas Motorcycle Show
KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON CONVENTION CENTER
January 13 - 15, 2017

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm planning to go, but obviously can't ride there :(

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well I hope you're healing up and can get out to ride this year. From what I recall the projected full recovery would put you riding about near the beginning of summer?
Want to meet up for the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, I can ride again at the start of June. I have a meeting with the surgeon next week and I'm gonna ask if I can get back on it sooner.

I'm down for meeting up. Probably Saturday?

• Locked thread