Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
in the control ending did shepard take control of all ai or just reapers?

why was the control doodad capable of targeting only reapers but the destroy doodad and synthesis doodad couldnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

You can choose to destroy the Reapers once and for all, Commander Shepard, but know this: All memes, even the ones you think are really funny + share with your friends on Facebook all the time, will be destroyed as well.

n...no!

Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

You can choose to destroy the Reapers once and for all, Commander Shepard, but know this: All memes, even the ones you think are really funny + share with your friends on Facebook all the time, will be destroyed as well.

Synthesis it is then!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zzulu posted:

in the control ending did shepard take control of all ai or just reapers?

why was the control doodad capable of targeting only reapers but the destroy doodad and synthesis doodad couldnt

The Control ending is like Shepard's consciousness becoming the new Catalyst / Reaper AI. I think Destroy is just a big beam that seeks and destroys all synthetic life if you wanna delve into the ending.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
drat it's almost like a better plan than the reapers would be to fire off that big beam that kills all synthetic life every few years along with an included broadcast that says "NOPE don't do that"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
shut the hell up about the god drat bad end!!!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

drat it's almost like a better plan than the reapers would be to fire off that big beam that kills all synthetic life every few years along with an included broadcast that says "NOPE don't do that"

What a strange trick.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

shut the hell up about the god drat bad end!!!

A better ending would have been at the conclusion of the Tuchunka storyline Shepard and Wrex high five sending a shockwave across the planet. Shepard and Wrex ride it into space and headbutt every reaper to death before landing on the Citadel to have their interstellar kegger. Afterwards they catch Joker trying to gently caress one of the dead reapers so they throw him out the airlock. The end.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

It turns out the good Mass Effect ending was Shepard dying on the Suicide Mission.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

It turns out the good Mass Effect ending was Shepard dying on the Suicide Mission.

Ideally with Zaeed as the sole survivor, letting Shep slip from his grasp as the shuttle accelerates away

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

He slowly stands and mutters "This takes me back..."

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I would have quite liked a Mass Effect 3 starring Joker as increasingly-put-upon reluctant anti-hero.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Lt. Danger posted:

I would have quite liked a Mass Effect 3 starring Joker as increasingly-put-upon reluctant anti-hero.

Joker was pretty bad and only got worse once EDI got put in the sex-bot.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It's almost like...between joker and the geth and Kai Leng and the ghost dreams and the Star Kid and edi....that ME3 was pretty loving bad and I hope they fix all of it for andromeda.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's almost like...between joker and the geth and Kai Leng and the ghost dreams and the Star Kid and edi....that ME3 was pretty loving bad and I hope they fix all of it for andromeda.

Actually the ME2 Geth were pretty cool and good. The ME3 Geth didn't have much in common. But you're right about the rest of the stuff you mentioned.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why do you think they're doing a soft reboot, if not to get a do-over of the things that didn't go over well?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Trast posted:

Actually the ME2 Geth were pretty cool and good. The ME3 Geth didn't have much in common. But you're right about the rest of the stuff you mentioned.

The ME2 Geth were basically Legion and more disposable bodies to shoot. Still, so much better than ME3 and the Pinocchio story, just like EDI.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Geostomp posted:

The ME2 Geth were basically Legion and more disposable bodies to shoot. Still, so much better than ME3 and the Pinocchio story, just like EDI.

I liked that they just wanted to build their dyson sphere and chill in space. But that went against the whole "all AI are bad" mission statement so no chill robot bros for ME3.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Kai LAME indirectly gave us the N7 Slayer in mutliplayer which despite being a big weeaboo class was cool and fun to play

you could teleport through the window and 10 vertical feet between the two floor on firebase glacier that was super handy

e; remember firebase white gold geth farming? good times

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Kai LAME indirectly gave us the N7 Slayer in mutliplayer which despite being a big weeaboo class was cool and fun to play

you could teleport through the window and 10 vertical feet between the two floor on firebase glacier that was super handy

e; remember firebase white gold geth farming? good times

Don't forget you could pair up with one of the volus and have a little murder chain of hand beam blasts and volus shield recharges.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The MP team taking even the most ridiculous ideas and making them fun and good was a big strength of ME3, no matter what else you say about it

volus vanguard? batarian punch gauntlet? sold

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Why do you think they're doing a soft reboot, if not to get a do-over of the things that didn't go over well?

Player choice was such a key part of the ME trilogy that I think no matter what the reaction to the ending any further ME games would try to avoid making any of those choices canon.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
"The genophage cure? I heard that was a myth."

"Who died on Virmire? What's a virmire?"

"Shepard? He was the guy who endorsed that lovely shop on the Citadel, wasn't he?"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
We can all learn from Shepard. His/her diplomatic/brutal methods made him/her the finest soldier/biotic/tech in the galaxy. Why, remember how he/she talked down/killed the Krogan battlemaster Wrex? Or how he/she made the hard decision to save/sacrifice the Council? We can only hope to act with even a small portion of the magnanimity/pragmatism he/she did.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope there's Geth in andromeda because I want to have sex with one

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

This unit is user friendly.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

"Flashlight? More like..."

"Does this unit have a hole?" etc etc.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I always liked Joker as a character.

But the whole EDI sex bot / "AI's can feel love too" thing was loving awful and kind of ruined Joker for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The best Mass Effect ending was when you told TIM to gently caress off at the beginning of 2 because joining Cerberus was such a retarded idea. They kept killing themselves as usual and nothing bad happened. Reapers are still in dark space because their alarm clock didn't go off. Turns out Harbinger ran out of easily reachable humans in remote settlements to liquefy and baby Terminator never got finished.

Bring on Andromeda.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

To ignore them instead.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm finally doing another replay of ME2 to lead into 3, which I never played half of. After I'm done with this run I'm thinking about doing another run with way different choices to see how that all plays out. Any advice on characters I should get killed off to see interesting, different stuff? I remember hearing that losing Wrex and Mordin both cause the Tuchanka story to be pretty different. Not sure if I should kill off both or just one though. Any other suggestions for things I should do that you normally wouldn't? Letting the council die is the only "bad" choice I can think of having in my current run, that one always felt right to me even if it cuts you out of some ME2 dialogue.

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 8, 2016

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I liked Wrex dead but Mordin alive for Tuchanka, it allows you to pick a resolution to the storyline that you can't get otherwise.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I really want a world where it turns out Shepherd massively overvalued themselves and everybody was kinda just playing along to make them feel better.

It would line up with the ME3 multiplayer perfectly: Shepherd kills one banshee and everybody is like WHOA SO POWERFUL while this nameless Turian sentinel in the background is powering through wave after wave of them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also Wreav is just really interesting in that there's a huge amount of dramatic tension to the genophage cure story that is less present otherwise. It's the right thing to do to cure the Krogan - but Wreav is very obviously a dangerous and unpleasant individual. So the dilemma between "cure Krogan/possibly endanger galaxy" gets a little more layered and probably leaves you feeling conflicted either way, which I think is a sign of a good decision point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I kind of wish Wreav showed up in some capacity in 2 and 3 if Wrex lived, but I guess the only thing he could really do then is show how great Wrex is.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kibayasu posted:

I kind of wish Wreav showed up in some capacity in 2 and 3 if Wrex lived, but I guess the only thing he could really do then is show how great Wrex is.

He does, he gets headbutted by Wrex for disagreeing with him in 2 and he gets eaten by Kalros the Thresher Maw in 3! His job, as you guessed, in both is to basically show how great Wrex is in comparison.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Genophage climax probably would have made more sense if Wreav had killed Wrex and wrested control from him at some point.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
EDI getting a robot body was something I liked a lot because I liked EDI a lot

The crippled dude romancing her didn't bother me much either because it wasn't too in your face. You could ignore or skip past most of the dialogue, of which there wasnt much, if you wanted to

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zzulu posted:

EDI getting a robot body was something I liked a lot because I liked EDI a lot

The crippled dude romancing her didn't bother me much either because it wasn't too in your face. You could ignore or skip past most of the dialogue, of which there wasnt much, if you wanted to

You could also tell them it wouldn't work and prevent the relationship from ever happening.

Mass Effect 3, for all its faults, had some amazing branching. Let's put aside that Wrex and Mordin could both be dead, with interesting, well written replacements. If they're both alive, you've got three main routes.

1) Saved cure: Wrex and Shepard, together again, like old times.

2) Destroyed cure, apologize immediately: Wrex would like it to be like old times again, but is unsure if he can trust you since, you know, you dicked his entire species over something fierce, no matter your intentions

3) Told Wrex you made the right call destroying the cure: Wrex doesn't like you any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Helith posted:

He does, he gets headbutted by Wrex for disagreeing with him in 2 and he gets eaten by Kalros the Thresher Maw in 3! His job, as you guessed, in both is to basically show how great Wrex is in comparison.

I don't remember Wrex headbutting anybody except that rear end in a top hat who wants Grunt.