Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Welp I finally beat Skyrim. Finished the main quest, finished Dawnguard, furnished all three Hearthfire homes (including one where I got all materials myself) and I demolished Maraak in Dragonborn. Finished Companions, Winterhold and Thieves Guild and sided with Ulfric because gently caress the Empire.

Dragonborn is pretty great but those twisted book reality levels kind of suck. Dawnguard is boring all around and genuinely loving sucks with those vampire attacks. Also gently caress all Dwemer ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Ceive posted:

I was having the same trouble recently. Tons of mods and my game would crash trying to load saves or get stuck loading forever. I enabled two mods that seem to have fixed my issues.

For eternal load screens - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/46465/

For crashing on load - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78557/

I heard that the first one was obsolete and no longer needed but I'll give it another shot.

I think I found the issue... it was 2 part but one of the major issues was apparently having more than 2 followers on at the same time... which at the time, I had 4 to 5. Ugh.

Unfortunately I can't find a good home scape to use to retire my NCPs to so they keep trying to wander back to their original starting point which is becoming a hassle.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

CascadeBeta posted:

Considering its way better than the main skyrim questline in basically every way, I'd go ahead and do it. I encountered a lot of death lords at 14 - 15 though, and with wildcat it made the fights almost too difficult. Still a lot of fun though.

I started on Solstheim with the Live Another Life mod, and it was pretty brutally hard at low level. Even turning the difficulty down to minimum, I got my rear end handed to me a couple of times. After a few levels, I caught up and was able to play for real, and the Dragonborn content is really good.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I love the mods I can load up old Skyrim with, but even though I did all the right things (sorting, compatibility patches, Mod Organizer, and so on) the frequent and inexplicable crashes I got sap most of the enjoyment out of the game. Since special edition is apparently much more stable, I'm looking to give that a shot even if the lack of SKSE sharply limits the content available.

I'm not going to bother rigging up MO beta for the special edition, so I grabbed NMM. How do I get NMM and MO to play nice together? I've tried to get MO to not associate Nexus files with it, but anything I download on the Nexus through their NMM option still gets directed there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Isn't that decision in your browser's territory? What's it associate "nxm" stuff with?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

scamtank posted:

Isn't that decision in your browser's territory? What's it associate "nxm" stuff with?

Not sure how to set that. I had NMM associate .nxm files with it during installation, but it doesn't seem to work.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
It's got to be more involved than a file association, though; otherwise all the Fallout 4 and New Vegas and Oldrim, etc. files you downloaded would just pop up in the most recently installed mod manager regardless of the game it was managing.

I know when I was monkeying with the MO beta one of the optional steps was to install a greasemonkey script that translated skyrim se nexus urls because they weren't what the manager was looking for.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's the most convenient house? Haafinheim is neat but I don't want a loading screen between house sections. I want something compact with all the crafting stations nearby. I wouldn't mind it all being outside, if such a base exists.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Rinkles posted:

What's the most convenient house? Haafinheim is neat but I don't want a loading screen between house sections. I want something compact with all the crafting stations nearby. I wouldn't mind it all being outside, if such a base exists.

Same question from me, preferably one I can send a follower to so I don't have to "coc" everywhere to pick my party back up.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm a fan of the house in Riften. Close to the fast travel marker, small, and can have both the enchanting/alchemy labs.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Rinkles posted:

I like Riverside Lodge. Central location, only one area worth caring about, indoor crafting stations with ventilation for the forge, and auto-sorting of most vanilla components.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mizuti posted:

Not sure how to set that. I had NMM associate .nxm files with it during installation, but it doesn't seem to work.

You might want to try this:

Go to start menu -> Control Panel -> Default Program

When you're there, select "Associate a file type or protocol with a program".

Scroll down until you find ".nxm". Select it and click "Change Program", like in the picture:

Then track down Nexus Mod Manager and try setting it as the default program for handling .nxm files.

If that doesn't work, then whelp

Also, protip: Never change .exe's default program over to Internet Explorer or something like that, just don't. Trust me.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Functional homes might work for you. I'm using it with SSE this playthrough and, at level 61 now, I've not noticed anything messed up with it. Just don't run it with other mods that alter the default houses and if you use elfx exclude the houses or the lighting will be ugly.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rinkles posted:

The house in a bag.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rinkles posted:

There are some housemods which exist in the Skyrim worldspace so no need for a second loadscreen. I haven't used it but I've had Roadside Ruins recommended to me: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19228/

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What are some good gimmick builds?

I tried vampire mage and it was ok, but the maintenance for vampirism is obnoxious even with the better vampires mod.

Being a Mage is hilariously broken, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lots of cool options, thank you! Don't know what to pick.

Riverside has sorting but unlike Lombard, the game doesn't recognize those materials when crafting (in Lombard they were treated as if in your inventory - unless I'm misremembering).

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sylink posted:

I tried vampire mage and it was ok, but the maintenance for vampirism is obnoxious even with the better vampires mod.

The Paladin is pretty good. In order of importance:

1) Block
2) Restoration
3) One-Handed
4) Destruction (CLEANSING FIRE)
5) Heavy Armour
6) Atronach Stone

Flavour with Smithing/Enchanting but they're in every loving build. With Dawnguard, Restoration has a bunch of anti-undead attack spells, and its passives are great.

Important Spells

1) healing (final form: close wounds)
2) vampire's bane
3) Stendarr's aura
4) fireball
5) Turn Undead

Make sure you've got magic resistance/block buffed up with enchanting. I'm pretty sure there's a cap on the amount of damage you can soak, but you can make yourself almost totally immune to enemy magic. You want to stick Turn Undead and fire damage on your weapon. (preferably an axe: the Dawnguard get the fancy anti-vamp axes, and they can be enchanted on top of that).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sylink posted:

They tend to require mods, but I've heard fun things about punch cats in this thread.

Speaking of which has that dialogue replacer for Khajit been ported to SE yet, because I've never used either and that seems like a good combination if I'm not going to be using a lot of new quests and poo poo.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Then track down Nexus Mod Manager and try setting it as the default program for handling .nxm files.

If that doesn't work, then whelp

I found my way there and it was already the default program for opening .nxm files. I tried redoing it just to be sure. Nope, Mod Organizer always intercepts the download. I'm not sure what to do now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mizuti posted:

I found my way there and it was already the default program for opening .nxm files. I tried redoing it just to be sure. Nope, Mod Organizer always intercepts the download. I'm not sure what to do now.

You're clicking "download with manager", right? It's not intercepting the file, it's intercepting the link type. You can probably uninstall MO then NMM, then reinstall NMM to get the association set correctly again.

Jack Ratigan
Jan 26, 2005

...Ok

Skwirl posted:

They tend to require mods, but I've heard fun things about punch cats in this thread.

Speaking of which has that dialogue replacer for Khajit been ported to SE yet, because I've never used either and that seems like a good combination if I'm not going to be using a lot of new quests and poo poo.

Khajiit speak. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/441/

Kittys talks funnie...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

As always, Uncle Sheo sums up Dawnguard quite well:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
So I was directed to TESVEdit to clean up conflicting mods but have little to no idea how to use it.

Is there some good documentation I can read up on on how to use this or is there a better option for checking for conflicts? Note, I am already using LOOT and now logging in Papyrus in terms of trouble shooting so ... yeah.

Disregard, I see it as TES5edit not roman numerals, derp.

Malek fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 8, 2016

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Hasn't been mentioned in awhile, but if you're looking for build ideas, you can't go wring with the Tamriel Vault's Character Build Archives. Lots of great ideas there, searchable by character archetype, race, popularity, etc.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Psion posted:

As always, Uncle Sheo sums up Dawnguard quite well:

I didn't know until now that there was an updated (or rather, extended?) version for the legendary edition. :eyepop:

(http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66372/)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey, just a heads up for this thread, I'm putting mods that I convert for personal use that don't have an official SE version into a Google drive folder in case anyone's interested.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Agents are GO! posted:

Hey, just a heads up for this thread, I'm putting mods that I convert for personal use that don't have an official SE version into a Google drive folder in case anyone's interested.

Brother you had me at "I'm going to put work into things that you can enjoy with very little effort of your own"

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
Are many mods converted over to the special edition yet? I wanted to give this a shot again after not playing for a few months, and wanted to try the special edition, however if its going to take me two hours messing around with trying to get all my existing mods working with it then I can't be bothered.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gavinvin posted:

Are many mods converted over to the special edition yet? I wanted to give this a shot again after not playing for a few months, and wanted to try the special edition, however if its going to take me two hours messing around with trying to get all my existing mods working with it then I can't be bothered.

Chances are most of your mods will not work if you are looking to move from Oldrim to Special Edition mainly because SKSE doesn't exist on SE yet.
Some of us though are diving into SSE with a wildly different set of mods and having a grand ol time. Someone posted Ordinator as that's been converted over to SSE and it's super fun. I've dumped in a bunch of magic mods, enemy mods, jacked up the combat difficultly and am having quite the fun time because it is so different than normal Skyrim. The only thing that I do different than before is use Nexus Mod Manager vs. Mod Organizer otherwise download mod, wrye bash the leveled lists, SSEedit (instead of TESVedit you see) check what conflicts and what settings I'd like to change with whatever mod I popped in, merged patch, LOOT and then manual placing of mods it didn't sort correctly and then I jump in the game and play for hours.

So I wouldn't bother. :v:

I was a die-hard SPERG user before but I really like Ordinator for it's weird novel specializations. The Alteration spell tree is nuts.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 8, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Gavinvin posted:

There's a decent amount out, most of the popular mods for Oldrim seem to have been converted.

The biggest issue atm is the lack of SKSE, which means some mods (like say Simply Knock) can't be made at all, while other mods make do with slightly gutted functionality and menu spells.

I'd say you may as well give it a go.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Speaking of houses, is there any house mod that enhances the functionality of the Hearthfire houses with stuff like sorting? I'm playing an immersive game so Clockwork is a little overpowered (instant teleportation, which I've had to make rules for myself to counteract) but Clockwork's sorting functions are too useful to give up right now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gyre posted:

Speaking of houses, is there any house mod that enhances the functionality of the Hearthfire houses with stuff like sorting? I'm playing an immersive game so Clockwork is a little overpowered (instant teleportation, which I've had to make rules for myself to counteract) but Clockwork's sorting functions are too useful to give up right now.

I'm using Clockwork also but since I have fast travel turned off the recall spell they give you is useless so I still have to go to a major town first. Also helps for the towns that don't have a carriage.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Psion posted:

There are some housemods which exist in the Skyrim worldspace so no need for a second loadscreen. I haven't used it but I've had Roadside Ruins recommended to me: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19228/
In that nature, really liked this one - not that convenient a location though.

Cliffside Cottage
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4036/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lurksion posted:

In that nature, really liked this one - not that convenient a location though.

Unless I missed it, Riverside doesn't have a smelter.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Currently 80 hours into my playthrough and it's hitting me again.. The same reason I didn't finish the first time.

Combat and dungeons become boring and repetitive, even with wildcat I've now hit an armor rating and weapon rating that most monsters don't do much damage and the ones that do is berserker rage time and bash to a pulp with my molag bal mace of ending.

I hope their next game isn't as horrible for combat.

Concentrating on just finishing the main quests now.. How do you start dragonborn btw?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hollow Talk posted:

I didn't know until now that there was an updated (or rather, extended?) version for the legendary edition. :eyepop:

(http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66372/)

I remember hearing the Legendary Uncle Sheo lines weren't as good as the originals but that one's amazingly on target. I mean drat.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I'm using Clockwork also but since I have fast travel turned off the recall spell they give you is useless so I still have to go to a major town first. Also helps for the towns that don't have a carriage.

I haven't turned off fast travel because I'm a hoarder and sometimes have to make multiple trips to a dungeon (and hauling overland gets boring after a while), but I'm playing as though this were the case anyway. My problem is Clockwork still feels too "easy" to use, in that I can go to any big town and use the same house. I've even set a rule for myself that I can't teleport directly to any hold I don't have a dwelling in (except Winterhold, where my "house" is the Arch-Mage's rooms), but it still makes it really easy to abuse the almost instantaneous movement from one hold to another.

I guess I wish Clockwork were somewhere in Skyrim's main space, so I would have to take more time to get to it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Gyre posted:

I haven't turned off fast travel because I'm a hoarder and sometimes have to make multiple trips to a dungeon (and hauling overland gets boring after a while), but I'm playing as though this were the case anyway. My problem is Clockwork still feels too "easy" to use, in that I can go to any big town and use the same house. I've even set a rule for myself that I can't teleport directly to any hold I don't have a dwelling in (except Winterhold, where my "house" is the Arch-Mage's rooms), but it still makes it really easy to abuse the almost instantaneous movement from one hold to another.

I guess I wish Clockwork were somewhere in Skyrim's main space, so I would have to take more time to get to it.

Maybe you can crack open the mod have have to go through the tunnels again :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Concentrating on just finishing the main quests now.. How do you start dragonborn btw?

You will get approached in a random location by some cultist goons who will proceed to attack you and leave behind a note which starts the questline. I thought it was level-based but if you're already that far in and haven't started it it must have to do with the main quest.