Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't played it in a few months, but I don't think so. Most of the combat at the time was just "smack enemy/run out of enemy attack zone/repeat" and after a while I got bored with that and the lame tryhard jokes.

Well, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am liking this roundup precisely because I bought the Good Bundle and I need help sorting through what is worth playing! I know the heavy-hitters in there (Gone Home, Nuclear Throne, etc.) but there are like hundreds of other games that I probably would not know where to start with unless someone says "Hey, this is all right"

FWIW, so far from that bundle I'd recommend:

* Lost Constellation
* Panoramical
* Dr. Langeskov etc.
* Capsule
* Proteus
* Gone Home
* A Good Snowman
* Strafe Speed Zone
* Windosill (classic poke-around-at-the-screen toy)
* Downhill (super minimal but fun to chill/zen out for a bit)

I'm in the middle of Sokobond (another puzzler from the Good Snowman guy), so far so good w/ that one, and Fjords. Fjords is an intentionally cryptic 2D exploration quasi-ASCII-tiles sort of game. It reminds me a little of Starseed Pilgrim both in the aesthetic and the what-the-hell-do-I-do-now feeling.

Obviously there's a ton of stuff from the bundle that I haven't looked at yet. I also played and had mixed reactions about Sand and Stars, Hungover, Borb the Birb, Killing Time at Lightspeed, The Temple of No, and Combat Genetics.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Morter posted:

Does the combat get anymore fun/involved than the couple of basic gameplay vids i've seen months ago?

Yeah, it really doesn't. I think at that price point, even on sale, you're better off with Don't Starve and Shipwrecked or a total conversion mod.

We've kinda passed through the Survival/Building Games golden age, I think, which is unfortunate. I feel like we haven't fully tapped the potential of the "build a cool fort in <SETTING OR SITUATION>".

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I use geforce experience for streaming to moonlight app on my iphone/ipad. Works well for controller games with an accessory, and sometimes it's just nice to open up bestiary or look at my dude's stats while falling asleep or pooping.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Palpek posted:

Rogue is basically a distilled Black Flag with bad parts dropped and fun parts expanded upon (mechanically). It has however a worse story, the sea area is split in 2 and it exchanges the tropical atmosphere for a spring/winter one which dulls the pirating effect imo. It also suffered from Revelations effect where it was too much of the same thing right after Black Flag. I really liked it though.

Rogue is what happens when you tell a group of developers to make a disjointed mashup of AC3 and black flag, but to try to fix all the bad parts of each. And also that both games had way too many main plot missions, so fix that too.

I like Rogue a lot.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, it really doesn't. I think at that price point, even on sale, you're better off with Don't Starve and Shipwrecked or a total conversion mod.

We've kinda passed through the Survival/Building Games golden age, I think, which is unfortunate. I feel like we haven't fully tapped the potential of the "build a cool fort in <SETTING OR SITUATION>".

Have you tried Dragon Quest Builders?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Any chance this could be added to the OP?

aba posted:

From several pages back, but it was also bugging me:

How to view Steam linked images via HTTPS connection

0) Skip if you trust me: Look into source of the page to find a link to some image which is not working.
1) Example from the first page: open http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/539646410295191903/BDB1BDE3A021DF201C673786E6FDF45ED6C56318/
2) Check that it works.
3) Now change protocol to HTTPS. I.e. https://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/539646410295191903/BDB1BDE3A021DF201C673786E6FDF45ED6C56318/
4) Confirm the security exception as you're a big boy and you know what you're doing.
5) Refresh the first page of this thread to verify that it's working.
6) Reply to this message with your results.

As long as Steam or their CDN can't fix their poo poo, it's pretty drat good advise to be able to quickly point to.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Justin_Brett posted:

Have you tried Dragon Quest Builders?

It's not on a platform I own :shrug:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Deakul posted:

And I'd like to request the opposite: how about games that primarily take place in snowy areas or just during winter in general?
I always loved snow in games.

Some examples:
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Assassin's Creed: Rogue
Steep
SNOW
Skyrim

Midwinter. :D

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

It's not on a platform I own :shrug:

don't you know this is the general games thread? it's incredibly common for steam users to also have sony products!

Morter fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 7, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

*you're

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Morter posted:

don't you know this is the general games thread? it's incredibly common for steam users to also have sony products!

Instead, I have Nintendo products :science:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

One of my favorite parts comes early in the game when Edward is first introduced to the Assassin's and their philosophy - paraphrased:

Mary: Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Edward: Cool, well I'm off to live my life of being a drunken, whoring pirate then!
Mary: No you can't do that, that's bad!
Edward: What happened to everything is permitted? :smug:

I wonder if they had the explanation of the creed in mind when they first thought of it or had to think u the one Ezio gives in Revelations when they were making it.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Fart of Presto posted:

Any chance this could be added to the OP?

As long as Steam or their CDN can't fix their poo poo, it's pretty drat good advise to be able to quickly point to.

Aye, fair shout. It's weird that Steam/Akamai haven't bothered to get a HTTPS certificate, considering that'll save everybody some bother.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Meanwhile I'm playing Tyranny. This is turning out less evil bastard sim and more HR department for evil overlord. Also cant help my kleptomaniac urges to steal everything in sight.

I am one of those broken people who obsess over starting stat setups and junk in these types of games. I haven't gotten anywhere in Tyranny because I keep starting over. :negative:

Game is really great though.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is there a story mode in Tyranny? Ordinarily I don't go for easy but.. Cooldown-based combat is :barf:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is there a story mode in Tyranny? Ordinarily I don't go for easy but.. Cooldown-based combat is :barf:

Yes.

It's not a hard game outside of that anyways. Each party members gives you an ultimate tag team move that has a very fast spawn rate, and by using them you can easily beat the first Act.

By Act 2 you are murder incarnate no matter your spec and everything dies to the Fatebinders legions.

Play Tyranny y'all.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Laughing so hard at uPlay crapping out all day because hordes of poors stepping over each other to get their free 5$ game.
Is it like that for big launches, too? I only use it to play old stuff.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Yeah, there is. Normal 's not hard at all though and almost all builds are viable and wreck poo poo.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, there is. Normal 's not hard at all though and you can run a weapon/magic build pretty easily.

I'm not concerned about difficulty at all. I just want the combat to be over as fast as possible. The story/choices interest me but party-based cooldown combat is one of the worst battle systems you can have imo

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Looks like Doom has a 11 Gig update today.
Basically just Multiplayer and Snapmap stuff...

http://steamcommunity.com/games/379720/announcements/detail/585862749595357814

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, there is. Normal 's not hard at all though and almost all builds are viable and wreck poo poo.

I doubled down on magic (Vigor and the purple one, basically buff and debuff) and it seemed pretty underwhelming at first. The idea being to be a huge fuckoff force multiplier later on though...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Bots. Bots in MP now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

WarLocke posted:

I doubled down on magic (Vigor and the purple one, basically buff and debuff) and it seemed pretty underwhelming at first. The idea being to be a huge fuckoff force multiplier later on though...
Yeah, Vigor and Atrophy are weak starts, but even then you can still wreck poo poo by going into the other magic trees. (And you should be using as much different magic as you can because they work on separate cooldowns.)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kragger99 posted:

Dammit Doom, I want to keep you installed but I don't want to buy a new HD. :argh:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Dammit Doom, I want to keep you installed but I don't want to buy a new HD. :argh:

wheee!
It's Only 78 Gigs now

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Doom's definitely on my GOTY list but I pretty much uninstalled it as soon as I beat the campaign. Multiplayer sucks and snapmap just wasn't doing it for me. :(

Maybe I'll replay it for the arcade mode one of these days.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hell, why not, here's my "Steam games I most enjoyed in 2016". Not necessarily 2016 releases, I just played them this year a bunch. In no particular order (well, okay, alphabetical order):

Duck Game (a hilariously brilliant time in multiplayer)
Rocket League (similar really, with added co-op fun to boot)
Sid Meier's Civilization V (I'm not sure how much of it I played this year, but I think I played enough for it to count. Still fun, if a bit samey at this point)
Stardew Valley (oh my goodness, 170 hours and counting, jeez)
Tadpole Treble (rhythm game by the guy behind Brawl in the Family. Great music, neat art, cute, funny, reasonably solid gameplay with a good learning curve and additional challenges if you want to go the extra mile)
The Witness (Fun puzzle game with a lot of really good scenery and art direction).
Zoombinis (Loved the original as a kid, love this)

Honourable mentions:

8-Bit Armies (it's neat, although I've hit a bit of a mental block on the level where they first introduce nukes)
Golf With Your Friends (I do love me some virtual golf, but I think I need to get used to the anarchy of this game a bit more)
SHENZHEN I/O (chiefly for the dickish Freecell variant)
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (I need to play it more to pass real judgement. I think Civ 5 oversaturated my ability to play Civ single-player)
Stellaris (Like a lot of Paradox games, it feels like it needs a few expansions)
Stephen's Sausage Roll (Neat but haaaaaaaaaaaaard)
Worms WMD (still need to play it more, but I think it'll grow on me)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 8, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I like beat em up games. This game just dropped on steam in early access. It's called Holy Avenger.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/544680/

So yeah, some Brazilian comic based on some Pathfinder thing. I'm not familiar with Brazilian comics and I'm not familiar with Pathfinder, so I don't know how popular or well-known the source material is. I'm sure someone here is probably familiar enough to tell me.

The game looks okay, simple enough, kinda reminds me of golden axe a little.

Also, this.

I guess Niele is supposed to look like this

but the devs gave her a more conservative top so welp watch out devs, Hariwulf's on to you and he's not gonna stand for this poo poo :v:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Take note, Rocket League devs, a colour-blind mode means more than just increasing the contrast. At least Doom actually tried.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

tight aspirations posted:

At least Doom actually tried.
poo poo have i been playing in colorblind mode this whole time? does the other mode have colors other than orange?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
If you sub to that Humble Monthly service and then cancel right away, do you still get the rest of the games released that month?

Also, they give steam keys right?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Danith posted:

If you sub to that Humble Monthly service and then cancel right away, do you still get the rest of the games released that month?

I've done just one specific month twice now without problems. And you do receive the rest of the games.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Johnny Law posted:

FWIW, so far from that bundle I'd recommend:

* Lost Constellation
* Panoramical
* Dr. Langeskov etc.
* Capsule
* Proteus
* Gone Home
* A Good Snowman
* Strafe Speed Zone
* Windosill (classic poke-around-at-the-screen toy)
* Downhill (super minimal but fun to chill/zen out for a bit)

I'm in the middle of Sokobond (another puzzler from the Good Snowman guy), so far so good w/ that one, and Fjords. Fjords is an intentionally cryptic 2D exploration quasi-ASCII-tiles sort of game. It reminds me a little of Starseed Pilgrim both in the aesthetic and the what-the-hell-do-I-do-now feeling.

Obviously there's a ton of stuff from the bundle that I haven't looked at yet. I also played and had mixed reactions about Sand and Stars, Hungover, Borb the Birb, Killing Time at Lightspeed, The Temple of No, and Combat Genetics.

If you played Lost Constellation, check out Longest Night too. Longest Night is way less gamey, but it has a lot of world building for Night in the Woods(which everyone should be stoked for).

Danith posted:

Generally everything but the Humble Original(a game jam-esque indie release made just for that month's bundle) has a Steam key.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

So I like beat em up games. This game just dropped on steam in early access. It's called Holy Avenger.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/544680/

So yeah, some Brazilian comic based on some Pathfinder thing. I'm not familiar with Brazilian comics and I'm not familiar with Pathfinder, so I don't know how popular or well-known the source material is. I'm sure someone here is probably familiar enough to tell me.

The game looks okay, simple enough, kinda reminds me of golden axe a little.

Also, this.

I guess Niele is supposed to look like this

but the devs gave her a more conservative top so welp watch out devs, Hariwulf's on to you and he's not gonna stand for this poo poo :v:

I hope this is good, but I won't get my hopes up.

I've translated some works by one of the artists associated with that comic and talked to him online a couple times, cool guy. He also made the hilariously 90s in every way character Captain Ninja who kind of showed up in lots of BR gaming magazines and comic books at the time.

And hey since it's December and you already posted elf titties' normal outfit, here's them together.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you played Lost Constellation, check out Longest Night too. Longest Night is way less gamey, but it has a lot of world building for Night in the Woods(which everyone should be stoked for).
Comes out in 4 weeks!!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

And hey since it's December and you already posted elf titties' normal outfit, here's them together.

Lmao

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Anyone know of any games that have a base building aspect, but not as the core aspect of the game? It doesn't have to be particularly deep. Could be something like the Suikoden series, or Fallout 4. Goons have already mentioned Assassin's Creed, XCOM, Darkest Dungeon, Actraiser, Dark Cloud and Dragon Quest Builders. All of these are basically what I have in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

have you heard of no man's sky?

• Locked thread