Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Non-damagin Z moves still require a z crystal of the moves type to be used, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Internet Kraken posted:

Non-damagin Z moves still require a z crystal of the moves type to be used, correct?
Yeah, any Z-Move requires a crystal and you can only use one per battle. Giving up the held item is some of the balancing on stuff like Z-Splash or Z-Conversion!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Senerio posted:

Cool! I'm out of data for the month, so we can trade tonight or tomorrow or something. I'll breed you a Beastball Roggenrolla to put it on even!

whew man, its only the 7th what did you do

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mandatory lesbian posted:

My billing period runs from the day I switched my service over, could well be outta data until any arbitrary day!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

mandatory lesbian posted:

My billing period starts on the 8th, so my family has used 9.87/10gb this billing cycle.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ooooh, that makes sense

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, any Z-Move requires a crystal and you can only use one per battle. Giving up the held item is some of the balancing on stuff like Z-Splash or Z-Conversion!

I'm just trying to figure out why this Arcanine would be holding a normal Z crystal;

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-491882320

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm just trying to figure out why this Arcanine would be holding a normal Z crystal;

Does Z-Protect undoing Intimidate or whatever ever come up?

Maybe it's got Z-Extremespeed too? That's all I got.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

Any Z move can be used during Encore, but I have no idea why they used Z Protect in that case since it was already locked into it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Does Z-Protect undoing Intimidate or whatever ever come up?

Maybe it's got Z-Extremespeed too? That's all I got.

Extremespeed just turns into Breakneck Blitz when you z-power it up. I don't know why an Arcanine would do that.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Senerio posted:

Cool! I'm out of data for the month, so we can trade tonight or tomorrow or something. I'll breed you a Beastball Roggenrolla to put it on even!

Nice! I got a couple nice 5IV Adamant Technition Scyther in Friend balls kicking around if you are interested in that.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Sure! I used my friend ball on Celesteela so I don't have anything breedable in mine.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Weird to think this is the first time Scyther's been legally obtainable in an Apricorn Ball. And if you want one in a Safari Ball, you have to transfer it from a FireRed cart :psyduck:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I've figured out an easy way to make money in the postgame. The trainers you can rematch don't seem to offer a lot of cash for the effort, even with the Amulet Coin or Luck Incense, so I've found an alternative. Selling stardust, star pieces, and meteor shards! There's 4 boulders at Poni Coast. You don't encounter any Pokémon while smashing them, the route is short, and there's an exit at each end for quick resetting.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like how sudden the light changes in this game, especially near the sea. It just goes bam and the water jumps from grey to orange in an instant

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What are the preferred egg moves for HA Alolan vulpix? I'm breeding some up so I don't have to wonder trade stuff no one wants but I'd like to make them as helpful as possible.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Note Block posted:

I must be doing something wrong then, I am a dumb!

See that pen just outside the nursery with the tiny empty space inside it? The one with the hidden oval stone in it? Stand inside it, deploy Tauros, spin to win.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What are the preferred egg moves for HA Alolan vulpix? I'm breeding some up so I don't have to wonder trade stuff no one wants but I'd like to make them as helpful as possible.
Moonblast (level-up for Sylveon and Popplio line) and Freeze-Dry (sketch onto a Smeargle, or get an Island Scan Swinub).

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

What is some of y'alls highest PokeFinder thumbs ups?

I have like 6,800ish on a photo. I haven't snapped any of the really rare pokemon yet though so I'm curious if anyone's broken 10K or more. I was going to try and grind up to max pokemon finder, but it seems pointless and time consuming.

i got 11,000 or so from an Absol at the spot near the league.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

kojei posted:

See that pen just outside the nursery with the tiny empty space inside it? The one with the hidden oval stone in it? Stand inside it, deploy Tauros, spin to win.

Well hot loving drat! My life is changed, thank you.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I finally found a use for the X items:

Throw an X Attack/X Special Attack on your overleveled starter first turn to help them sweep the Elite Four that much easier if you're running it for XP or money.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So I have the perfect IV Cubone with perfect IV in everything but speed. Somewhere down the line I hosed up while switching around the mates so it's not in a beast ball...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Throw an X Attack/X Special Attack on your overleveled starter first turn to help them sweep the Elite Four that much easier if you're running it for XP or money.

Works especially well for Hala because he's just gonna start with Fake Out anyway.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You should see some of the speedrun strats for this game. The Litten route catches a Wishiwashi and the only way to make it past Hapu is to literally use like six X items while frantically healing up to not drop Schooling and praying for no Earthquake crit.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

JackDarko posted:

So I have the perfect IV Cubone with perfect IV in everything but speed. Somewhere down the line I hosed up while switching around the mates so it's not in a beast ball...

I have two boxes full of 5 IV Jolly Lightning Rod Cubone in beast balls. Need one?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You should see some of the speedrun strats for this game. The Litten route catches a Wishiwashi and the only way to make it past Hapu is to literally use like six X items while frantically healing up to not drop Schooling and praying for no Earthquake crit.

This has been a staple of Pokemon speedruns since gen 1, and it's really interesting to watch. Can't wait for the next AGDQ!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tyblazitar posted:

This has been a staple of Pokemon speedruns since gen 1, and it's really interesting to watch. Can't wait for the next AGDQ!
It looks like it won't be in the best route - fastest right now is Popplio and then switch to Lunala, which is riskier than Solgaleo apparently? - but it might be! Some X items will be involved.

(also throw beast ball mons at me later please and thank you)

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(also throw beast ball mons at me later please and thank you)
I'll be doing an exchange with Scholtz soon-ish, so after that I'm up for trading and will have a bunch of his mons as well.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I haven't played a Pokemon game since emerald and I only got halfway through that. Is there a good comprehensive simple guide to the Battle Tree, or IV and EV training to tackle the Battle Tree?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Now that I don't have to have an HM workhorse anymore I find myself wishing more and more I didn't need a false swiper. Just let me catch a Pokémon after it faints. Come on.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Senerio posted:

Sure! I used my friend ball on Celesteela so I don't have anything breedable in mine.

:stare: Holy cow really? How many tries did it take to get her to stay in the ball?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since emerald and I only got halfway through that. Is there a good comprehensive simple guide to the Battle Tree, or IV and EV training to tackle the Battle Tree?

for the Battle Tree I recommend Serebii as a reference: http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/battletree.shtml

IV's are stats you can't change and given to a pokemon somewhat at random when you encounter them in the wild. You can breed to get better IVs and items like Destiny Knot and Everstone aid in making babies with higher IVs.

For EVs you can use items like carbos for stat boosting, the training island in the Pelago, and SoS chaining. What EVs you get depend on the wild pokemon you fight, training exercises you choose, or vitamins you forcefeed pokemon
Serebii also has solid info for that: http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/evchanges.shtml

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:stare: Holy cow really? How many tries did it take to get her to stay in the ball?

It was the biggest piece of random luck ever. I was out of Nest Balls, and decided "yeah, you know what? I'm gonna Soft Reset after this one anyway, so I'll just throw my friend ball, cause that's the one I really want her in."

Wiggle. Wiggle. Wiggle. Caught.

A few days and 3 trips to Isle Evelup later, and she's now a lynchpin of my Battle Tree Doubles team, able to switch in when I want to Poison Wave. Her name is Megaman Juno.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 7, 2016

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

FAT BATMAN posted:

To keep things easy on EVs, just use Isle Evelup. At upgrade level 1/2/3 for Isle Evelup, each individual play session yields 1/2/4 EVs. A single Pokemon can accrue a total of 512 EVs across all stats, but has a maximum of 252 EVs for each individual stat, meaning that you can max out two stats and have 4 EVs left over for whatever else. So, at Isle Evelup it takes 63 play sessions to max out one stat. You're going to want to EV train your pokemon's naturally highest base stats for the most part, so if you have a fast glass cannon you're going to want to max out the pertinent attack stat and speed, and probably put the residual 4 EVs in HP.

For natures, one stat is boosted 10% and another is lowered 10%. Usually you're going to want natures that lower stats you won't be using (so sp. attack if your mon is a physical hitter) and increase stats you will be utilizing (typically speed or proper attack type). The boosted stat is shown as lilac/lavender and the lowers stat is displayed violet/purple at the stats screen. Attaching an everstone to a Pokemon you are breeding will guarantee that nature is passed to its offspring.

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 7, 2016

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Note Block posted:

I have two boxes full of 5 IV Jolly Lightning Rod Cubone in beast balls. Need one?

No thank you, it's totally fine! I just thought it was funny that in my search for perfection I messed up one little detail. That mega ball is its home now!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boomstick Quaid posted:

To keep things easy on EVs, just use Isle Evelup. At upgrade level 1/2/3 for Isle Evelup, each individual play session yields 1/2/4 EVs. A single Pokemon can accrue a total of 512 EVs across all stats, but has a maximum of 252 EVs for each individual stat, meaning that you can max out two stats and have 4 EVs left over for whatever else. So, at Isle Evelup it takes 63 play sessions to max out one stat. You're going to want to EV train your pokemon's naturally highest base stats for the most part, so if you have a fast glass cannon you're going to want to max out the pertinent attack stat and speed, and probably put the residual 4 EVs in HP.

Also, if you screw up your evs, (say accidentally ko'ing something that gives special attack when you want attack), there are certain berries you can feed your pokemon to lower their evs. I believe you can find them on the berry tree on route 10. Just make sure to farm some on the berry island so you have a supply.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Calm for Nihilego, no questions.

Nihilego should probably actually be timid, not calm. Outspeeding Garchomp is super duper important. If you're interested in using it in battle spot I would actually reset for HP ice as well.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Also, if you screw up your evs, (say accidentally ko'ing something that gives special attack when you want attack), there are certain berries you can feed your pokemon to lower their evs. I believe you can find them on the berry tree on route 10. Just make sure to farm some on the berry island so you have a supply.

For the beginner I just recommend breeding up the proper natured Pokemon and throwing them in Isle Evelup immediately and maxing out their EVs before they see a single battle or are in a party when a battle occurs. Manual training for EVs and IV breeding are a little too complicated for those initiating and require Battle Tree items anyway

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I've never played a pokemon before and just picked up a 3DS, which version has cooler pokemons and poo poo, Sun or Moon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheeee posted:

I've never played a pokemon before and just picked up a 3DS, which version has cooler pokemons and poo poo, Sun or Moon?