Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

If people are so hype about Frontier as a format, why not just bring back extended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

my Warcraft guild posted:

If people are so hype about Frontier as a format, why not just bring back extended?

Because extended still had set rotations, so your cards still eventually became useless for the format.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
What Magic definitely needs is Spell Queller in a Rally/Aristocrats shell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

What Magic definitely needs is Spell Queller in a Rally/Aristocrats shell.

Spell Queller plus a free sac outlet is actually a kind of absurd combination.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

yeah this looks like a format I want to play :rolleyes:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Oh god it gets Wayfinder too.

Is there at least any real Graveyard hate in Frontier?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Voyager I posted:

Tormod's Crypt at the very least.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cactrot posted:

yeah this looks like a format I want to play :rolleyes:

Imagine a format where entire games are decided on who drops the turn 1 Elvish Mystic.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Voyager I posted:

Off the top of my head, Tormod's Crypt, Anafenza and Burn Away.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

Does Infinite Obliteration and Lost Legacy count?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cactrot posted:

Anafenza was a pretty good Rally hoser until Reflector Mage got printed. Now they can just trap her in your hand and get at the very least a full turn of guaranteed combo time, which is often enough for them to get a graveyard stocked for victory given how well they can play the same Mage over and over.

Burn Away, in addition to being a pretty bad five mana spell, just doesn't work if they have a sac outlet on the table.

Crypt seems like a pretty reasonable answer, though.

Count Bleck posted:

Does Infinite Obliteration and Lost Legacy count?

Not really. You can pull out a combo piece but the deck also plays Company and a bunch of tempo creatures, so sometimes spending three mana and a card to do nothing to the board just means you lose a game of regular Magic instead.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 7, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I assume CoCo would be banned in frontier

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If the cutoff was M13 I could at least see it be moderately interesting as a format, otoh I would love to dump my old khans block junk during the two month stretch that Frontier becomes A Thing so :shrug:

Edit: what would a banlist for that format even look like? CoCo would definitely deserve to be banned but would that just turn it into the Rhino format? Do you ban Rhino too?

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 7, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is it just part of a cycle to become kind of jaded with this game and the decisions people and WotC as a whole make around it?

E: Like I think Magic is still fundamentally fun, but that is in spite of the best job Wizards and a lot of other people seem to be doing to make it otherwise.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

If the cutoff was M13 I could at least see it be moderately interesting as a format, otoh I would love to dump my old khans block junk during the two month stretch that Frontier becomes A Thing so :shrug:

Edit: what would a banlist for that format even look like? CoCo would definitely deserve to be banned but would that just turn it into the Rhino format? Do you ban Rhino too?

4 rally, 4 coco, and the rest creatures and lands.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it just part of a cycle to become kind of jaded with this game and the decisions people and WotC as a whole make around it?

E: Like I think Magic is still fundamentally fun, but that is in spite of the best job Wizards and a lot of other people seem to be doing to make it otherwise.

You should definitely try not caring or perhaps also not reading about magic on the internet

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

They should start out banning the 5 fetchlands before anything.

I would be way more inclined to play if it included Theros as well, just so I could whip back Hornet Queens and Atarkas again.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

m14 +, ban fetches

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Modern has gotten really popular at the store level to the point where it's cutting into Standard attendance. Officializing a new alternative to it is about the worst thing that WotC could do right now.

As far as I can tell, the audience for Frontier is 'people who don't like Modern'. Also starting the format right before the highest power level block in recent history is awkward since it will take a while for the cardpool to grow to the point where newer strategies can compete.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tales of Woe posted:

Modern has gotten really popular at the store level to the point where it's cutting into Standard attendance. Officializing a new alternative to it is about the worst thing that WotC could do right now.

As far as I can tell, the audience for Frontier is 'people who don't like Modern'. Also starting the format right before the highest power level block in recent history is awkward since it will take a while for the cardpool to grow to the point where newer strategies can compete.

The actual audience of Frontier is "people who liked Khans standard".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I liked khans standard better than this standard. The only card that really had any negative impact on khans standard was dumb rear end siege rhino. There was definitely a time where you played against abzan more than half your games though between abzan aggro and control. I played mardu dragons basically that entire block and had a good time for most of it. Despite being pretty meh at time, standard only really went to poo poo after battle came out in my opinion.

Crackling doom is something standard needs again. It might be my favorite card printed in years.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I probably would've liked Khans standard more if Temur wasn't a pile of poo poo.

Knuckleblade being good was a dream I could never have.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I like Crackling Doom because the art looks like a 70's prog rock record sleeve

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I liked Khans Standard and want no part of Frontier. AMA.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I probably would've liked Khans standard more if Temur wasn't a pile of poo poo.

Knuckleblade being good was a dream I could never have.

It was a good card that never had a complete deck around it. Dicks out for big knucks everybody.

Tales of Woe posted:

I like Crackling Doom because the art looks like a 70's prog rock record sleeve

It just always felt good to cast. You also got to play goblin rabblemaster and dragons. I really loved that deck and had a lot of success with it despite it not being the best deck in the format.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I really want to jam Crackling Doom, K-Command, and Dark Dwellers into the same deck.

Also Frontier isn't Khans Standard. It's BFZ Standard, which was basically 4-color Khans.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

It was a good card that never had a complete deck around it. Dicks out for big knucks everybody.

It just always felt good to cast. You also got to play goblin rabblemaster and dragons. I really loved that deck and had a lot of success with it despite it not being the best deck in the format.

Oh I know it was a good card, it's just Temur had no other good cards worth mentioning. Temur company ran Knucks and it was fun but why play that when you could play better in every way company colors Abzan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Oh I know it was a good card, it's just Temur had no other good cards worth mentioning. Temur company ran Knucks and it was fun but why play that when you could play better in every way company colors Abzan.

Why would you ever play that when you can play Anafenza and Siege Rhino?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Why would you ever play that when you can play Anafenza and Siege Rhino?

Because Turn 1 Warden Turn 2 Deathdealer really got your jive going?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Because Turn 1 Warden Turn 2 Deathdealer really got your jive going?

Warden was a fun standard card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Warden was a fun standard card.

Modal one drops that do different things at different stages of the game are really a lot of fun.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Voyager I posted:

I really want to jam Crackling Doom, K-Command, and Dark Dwellers into the same deck.

Also Frontier isn't Khans Standard. It's BFZ Standard, which was basically 4-color Khans.

Khans/Battle was a terrible standard where it was easier to play 4 colors than 3. Khans/Theros was great, though. There were the default Siege Rhino decks, but you could play almost anything you wanted and have it be competitive. G/x devotion, G/R Monsters, Esper Dragons, Sultai Whip, Mono-red with Atarka's command, Jeskai Tempo, Abzan Control or Aggro, Den Protector/Raptor morph, U/R Artifacts at the very end.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 7, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just because you give it a label doesn't make something a thing. People would need a reason to play frontier which is a chicken and egg thing until it implausibly becomes poplar enough for its popularity to be the reason to play. "Being cheaper than modern," is not enough of a reason imo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lasagna Pilot posted:

They are making something called "Magic Digital Next" but lord knows what that will actually be.

I would love it if there was away to play actual drafts online without spending paper draft prices. I have little to no interest in playing constructed online and the only thing keeping me from drafting on MTGO constantly is that throwing $10-$15 at a time into a money pit feels like a ripoff.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

I would love it if there was away to play actual drafts online without spending paper draft prices. I have little to no interest in playing constructed online and the only thing keeping me from drafting on MTGO constantly is that throwing $10-$15 at a time into a money pit feels like a ripoff.

Get good?

The payouts are pretty good for the leagues and if you trade in high value cards you can roll for quite a while.

I put $100 into the game during the pre-release and have done about 7-8 sealed and at least as many drafts, plus a handful of constructed comp leagues, and I've still got 3 packs of kaladesh and about 4 tickets sitting on my account.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

MtGO Bug Blog posted:

While an opponent has a Commander on the battlefield, sacrificing a token created since Magic 2015 with rules text due to the effect of Oath of Liliana causes a crash.

WTF?

Also, this:

MtGO Bug Blog posted:

Crumble to Dust incorrectly causes the player to search the library of the land's controller, not owner.

Read Crumble to Dust :doh:.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 7, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Entropic posted:

draft on xmage/cockatrice. don't pay money for mtgo drafts unless your confident in your ability to 3-0 or your cool with spending 15$ to play a video game for two hours.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Just because you give it a label doesn't make something a thing. People would need a reason to play frontier which is a chicken and egg thing until it implausibly becomes poplar enough for its popularity to be the reason to play. "Being cheaper than modern," is not enough of a reason imo.

The cheaper than modern aspect probably wears off once it becomes popular as well if "$80 in Standard Jace" is a format staple.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

ShadeofBlue posted:

MtGO Bug Blog posted:

While an opponent has a Commander on the battlefield, sacrificing a token created since Magic 2015 with rules text due to the effect of Oath of Liliana causes a crash.
WTF?

This is the most MTGO.txt thing I've read in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cactrot posted:

The cheaper than modern aspect probably wears off once it becomes popular as well if "$80 in Standard Jace" is a format staple.

New formats are always cheap until anyone is actually playing them.

• Locked thread