Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheChirurgeon posted:

He's a really old (generic) "Imperial Assassin," from before they made the Eversor/Callidus/Vindicare groups.

It's not that hard to work around, but -1 I is a really rough penalty when most of your enemies are I4 or better (space marines, Tyranids, Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar). The artifacts aren't amazing (though you still have the standard ones), and the gains you get from Relentless are only really worthwhile if you're planning to field a bunch of heavy weapon havocs. Being able to rapid fire bolters and charge is nowhere near as appealing at I3. That said, one reason Death Guard are neck-and-neck with Emperor's Children for "best new rules" is because you can just give everyone power axes or power fists and then the initiative modifier doesn't matter.

FnP by itself is worth the trade-off, and with the re-rolling 1s it is icing on the cake. Being able to fire the boltguns and charge is insanely better than than I3, are you kidding? That is one extra attack per model on the charge at the cost of going 2nd against your fellow Marines who don't have much of a chance at killing you without power weapon anyway, and those shooting attacks are more likely to actually hit. Toss in Fearless, so they can never we swept off the table, and you easily have the best basic Marines in the game by a wide margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Definitely getting the two Inquisitors and the Seraphim, don't actually recognise the Eversor looking dude but he looks rad.

I have one in my HoR Kill Team. See if you can spot him in my WHW trip report on the previous page...

I love the preachers and the Priestly chap.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Same with 7 squads of Plague Marines, but a -1T bubble is ridiculously good.

Yeah. The potential upside is that they replace your "Core" option in the codex, but that means your non-Noise Marine options aren't amazing.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of doing a Black Legion speartip that runs a Lord and 3 squads of Raptors each w/2x Meltaguns and a Mark of Wrath with attached unmarked sorcerers from a Cyclopeia Cabal as the core choice (plus a minimal squad of berserkers and MoK marines or two for objective camping).

Uroboros posted:

FnP by itself is worth the trade-off, and with the re-rolling 1s it is icing on the cake. Being able to fire the boltguns and charge is insanely better than than I3, are you kidding? That is one extra attack per model on the charge at the cost of going 2nd against your fellow Marines who don't have much of a chance at killing you without power weapon anyway, and those shooting attacks are more likely to actually hit. Toss in Fearless, so they can never we swept off the table, and you easily have the best basic Marines in the game by a wide margin.

Yeah I mean the trade-off is well-worth it, but you can get hosed when you have to challenge every squad leader on the table and they all beat your Initiative by 1.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I can't think of a time where having that extra initiative truly mattered on duels with a sergeant, because their special melee weapons are so horrendously over costed, and drat near anything of real threat will make short work of them in a challenge.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

sweet, thanks!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

New Made to Orders have been revealed.

Definitely getting the two Inquisitors and the Seraphim, don't actually recognise the Eversor looking dude but he looks rad.

When do these go on sale? I need me some lady Inquisitors.

TheChirurgeon posted:

He's a really old (generic) "Imperial Assassin," from before they made the Eversor/Callidus/Vindicare groups.
"Assassin with Combi-weapon." Yeah, that dude is positively ancient, like 1989-ish. I'm surprised he made the resurrection list.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 7, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I noticed for Death Guard and I assume this applies for all legions associated with the particular chaos god that you HAVE to take their associated mark if available. Is this at all a tax on a Death Guard force, or you basically want the Mark of Nurgle at all instances?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

I noticed for Death Guard and I assume this applies for all legions associated with the particular chaos god that you HAVE to take their associated mark if available. Is this at all a tax on a Death Guard force, or you basically want the Mark of Nurgle at all instances?

It's a really good mark to have. There are some situations where you might not care to pay the extra points so much, but for the most part you're never going to be sorry you had to pay for the MoN. MoS is also really good, but slightly less universally amazing, MoT is OK in some circumstances, and MoK is probably the worst of the bunch, if you aren't getting BftBG with it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's a really good mark to have. There are some situations where you might not care to pay the extra points so much, but for the most part you're never going to be sorry you had to pay for the MoN. MoS is also really good, but slightly less universally amazing, MoT is OK in some circumstances, and MoK is probably the worst of the bunch, if you aren't getting BftBG with it.

I've been mulling my 2nd army for a long time, and I've been divided on either Chaos or Imperial Allies of some sort. This kind of swings towards Death Guard since I was leaning Nurgle to begin with. It would be a big divergence from how pristine my Ultramarines are.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Raphus C presents, "Rumble in the Jungle"

I played my annual game of 40k against my friend who also plays about 1 game a year. This explains why we both knew none of the rules and why the game took 7 hours to complete. It took 3 hours to get to the end of turn 2.

Orks (my army) 2 lots of 12 Boys with Power Klaw Nobs, eavy armour and shootas in Trukks. 10 Boyz in a Trukk with a token Nob, 13 Bikes and a Warboss with the Lucky stikk and Power Klaw , a KFF Mek and Painboy. 10 Tankbustas in a Trukk and 2 units of Rokkit buggies. Bringing up the rear 1 unit of grots.
Eldar (my friend's army): 10 Striking Scorpions, 10 Warp Spiders, Eldrad, 2 Wraithlords, 1 Avatar, 3 War Walkers with Scatter Lasers and 2 units of Jetbikes

We run an objectives based scenario. I win first turn.

Warning - lovely pictures ahoy - I'm not sorry

The Orks set up:

I jam everything in the middle with the barebones Trukk Boyz hanging off to the side. My plan, go straight up the loving middle and work it out from there.

Eldar:

The Striking Scorpions infiltrate into the forest.

Psychic powers

Eldrad does not get fortune. He does get the apocalyptic blast mind nuke, no idea what it is called. Spoiler, it fucks poo poo up.

Orks 1st turn

I push my trukks forward and leave my bikes behind the river to avoid them being charged by the Striking Scorpions. I immobilise one Buggy on the river difficult terrain, In the middle, I shoot everything under S8 at the Scorpions and kill 4. On the right flank my Trukk Boyz kill a Jetbike with their Shootas. My rokkits all target the Wraithlords and do nothing.

Eldar 1st turn - by the way, it took over 1 hour for the 1st Eldar movement phase to be finished. I'm not sad, I had beer.

The Eldar move up with the Jet Bikes blasting off to the flanks.

In shooting Eldrad gets off the apocalyptic blast and kills 5 bikes. 1 trukk in the middle is wrecked with the ArdBoy unit getting pinned. The Trukk on the right flank is immobilised by the Jetbike unit. One unit of Buggies is wiped out and the other suffers a weapon destroyed result and a glancing hit. Both go to 1 Hull Point.

Turn 1 Objectives

Eldar score for First Blood, using a psyker, for causing a unit to fail a pinning test
Orks score nil-pois
Eldar 3 Orks 0

Orks 2nd Turn, wherein I know I lose

So, I immobilise the other Ardboy Trukk by rolling 1 twice. Bad times. The Ardboyz pile out and make a move up the middle. My bikes roll up the middle passing their dangerous terrain tests. On the right flank the Boyz leave their stationary Trukk behind and advance on the bike squad sat in front of them.

In shooting I call a Waaaagh for the extra range. My Tankbustas put two wounds on the Avatar of Khorne Khaine. I kill another Jetbike from shooting my pinned Ardboyz at them.

Assault:

I attempt a multi-assault with the bikes to try and catch Eldrad. I don't get the range to catch the Warp Spiders, I do get the range to catch the Scopions. My Ardboy unit gets into combat with the Avatar, trying to tie him up for a turn. The Trukk Boyz on the right flank fail to get a charge off:

The Avatar kills 2 Boyz, my Nob declined the challenge as I hoped I could save the Klaw for a turn or two. The Boyz fail leadership and are eaten. In the Scorpion assault, the Nob accepts the Exarch's challenge and promptly kills the Exarch with his hammer of wrath attack. The Exarch fails to kill the Nob in return. The rest of the Bikes murder the Scorpions leaving my bikes in the open for all that Eldar shooting next turn.

Eldar Turn 2

The Wraithlords move up, the Avatar moves back, the Warp Spiders move back. Eldrad, and the Warp Spiders kill all the bikes bar one Biker and the Painboy. I don't check the rules and think the feel no pain save is a 6+ not a 5+, I fail the leadership roll and the surviving bikes ride away into the river. The Wraithlord on the Right kills the two mobile buggies and my Tankbustas Trukk gets wrecked. I hide the Tankbustas behind the Trukk to avoid any further shooting. They had to pretty much kill everything by themselves. The War Walkers shoot at my remaining Ardboyz unit and leave 4 alive.

In the assault phase the WarpSpiders move backwards leaving Eldrad out in the open, on his own and without a fortune save.

Turn 2 Objectives

Eldar score for destroying a unit in the assault phase and killing a character
Orks score nil-pois

Eldar 5 Orks 0

Orks 3rd turn, aka Operation Kill Eldrad

I recover my bikes and move the Boyz on the right hand side towards the melee in the middle. Seeing my opponent had generously left his warlord exposed I proceeded to shoot him dead.

The remaining Ardboyz decide to go for a stroll as there was gently caress all else to do.

Realising I was going to lose hard I decided to take some poo poo with me. My tankbustas shoot and assault the wraithlord on the right-hand side. The Wraithlord was down to 1 wound following the shooting, surely a unit of 10 Tankbustas could cause 1 wound? Nope. I issue a challenge with the Nob and he and the Wraithlord throw down. My Nob cannot hurt the Wraithlord and the Wraithlord proceeds to miss with his attacks, I forgot meltabombs have the melta rule and roll 1d6 and fail to penetrate - slight gently caress up.

Eldar 3rd Turn

poo poo moves up as there is little left to threaten the remaining Eldar. The Warp spiders shoot the 4 remaining Ardboyz and kill em all.

The Avatar runs in to kill the Trukk Boy squad which had been advancing from the right flank. The Avatar of Khaine, god of war fails to cause a single wound. My Boyz are equally polite and fail to cause a single wound as well. Worst. Assault. Ever. The Tankbustas fail to wound the Wraithlord and the Wraithlord kills 1 Tankbusta (he forgot to issue the challenge). The Tankbustas pass the leadership check and stay stuck it combat.

Turn 3 Objectives

Eldar score for securing objective 1 and destroying a unit with shooting
Orks score for issuing a challenge

Eldar 7 Orks 1

Orks 4th Turn

No movement to speak of, the immobilised buggies and trukk miss, The Wraithlord finally kills some Boyz and they lose combat and are swept away. The Tankbustas lose combat and are swept away.

Eldar 4th Turn

The Eldar Jetbikes boost forward ready to swoop on the Grotz. The remaining units kill everything else.

Turn 4 objectives

Eldar score 1 for Line breaker and 1 for killing a unit in assault.
Orks score nowt

Eldar 9 Orks 1

remaining turns

The Grotz go to ground in ruins and make it to turn 6 before they are shot to death.

What I learnt

Don't build an army around Trukk Boyz Don't take Powerklaws on a unit which gets murdered in challenges, Don't spend 50% of your points on a unit of bikes that gets killed by round 2. Tankbustas are good, use them more.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finally, I have an extra attack and a 5++

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SRM posted:

Yeah, but you stand up to plasma just as well as any other terminator.

God-drat that's cool. :stare:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SRM posted:

I can't be certain without checking the rules closely, but I'm pretty sure your back-hair already conferred you a 6++.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm really digging those Chaos rules. My only bummer is that my techno-plague Marines for my Iron Warriors are just gonna be regular schmucks now since they can't take marked units, but I think it's worth it for all the other cool poo poo they get.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I absolutely love the preacher with plasmagun and reliquary.

I've got him on my painting table right now, I also painted up that assassin a while ago. Stoked to see these models come back, I've already got a few of them but I want more Inquisitorial weirdos.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, but you stand up to plasma just as well as any other terminator.

God-drat that's cool. :stare:

I failed my Feel No Pain save when I got the linework done and passed out like a weenie, getting the color was comparatively pleasant.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That is a cool tattoo but I feel like it might make minorities nervous

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ignite Memories posted:

That's true, it does look a wee bit fash :ohdear:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm sure if I stop them and talk about my hobby of pushing tiny plastic spacemen around the table that I spend hundreds of hours painting they'll stop worrying.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Or, you know, wear a shirt with sleeves. :v:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

SRM posted:

I'm sure if I stop them and talk about my hobby of pushing tiny plastic spacemen around the table that I spend hundreds of hours painting they'll stop worrying.

Pretty sure they'd call the cops.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Checking the GW site, do they not sell single plastic techmarines? I've found the older resin kit and the finecast kit with the servitors. I'm hoping to get my hands on two of them just to have because they're cool looking and conversion beams are a thing.

SRM posted:

Nerd tattoos are cool. This is cool. Nerd.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 7, 2016

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
I haven't played full grown 40k in a while, and never played with formations. My Death Guard have been sitting in boxes for a long time, awaiting a day like this.

Am I right in thinking that I could have two core formations, i.e. a Plague Colony of one lord and a bunch of plague marines, a Chaos Warband of another lord plus nurgle-marked marines, terminators, bikers and havocs, and then a single chaos spawn to fulfil the aux requirement? That would be very easy to put together, and would bring one hell of a lot of special rules to the table.

Edit: Or would I need a CAD as well/instead of the Warband to make it a proper battle-forged army?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Galaspar posted:

I haven't played full grown 40k in a while, and never played with formations. My Death Guard have been sitting in boxes for a long time, awaiting a day like this.

Am I right in thinking that I could have two core formations, i.e. a Plague Colony of one lord and a bunch of plague marines, a Chaos Warband of another lord plus nurgle-marked marines, terminators, bikers and havocs, and then a single chaos spawn to fulfil the aux requirement? That would be very easy to put together, and would bring one hell of a lot of special rules to the table.

Edit: Or would I need a CAD as well/instead of the Warband to make it a proper battle-forged army?

You right at the first part. One Core and one auxiliary is all you need so the Warband and Colony would be two cores, and the Spawn is all you need to meet your auxiliary. Honestly, the Legion taxes for auxiliary units is so small compared to the loyalists you wonder why they even bothered.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uroboros posted:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah between the marks, Nurgle is the one that works best on everything. Tzeentch and Slaanesh are things I'd more want only on specific units, having to have them globally is kinda a tax. But Nurgle is pretty solid, can't hurt.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Can Death Guard HQs get artificer-armor equivalent? I want to give my T6 (+d3 if i roll the right power) FNP biker sorcerer a 2+ if I ever feel I have too many friends.

As far as pure rules goes, here's how I'm ranking them:

Great: Death Guard. Ridiculously strong resilience that can be boosted further, and Relentless on everything actually offers some interesting offense. Does it override the Slow and Purposeful on oblits?

Good: Alpha Legion (Sneaky and fun, can make some enemy deploys a nightmare), World Eaters (very forward and and fluffy) Emperor's Children (A good mix of fast and resilient that can be boosted, backed by a good sorcery discipline), Black Legion (

Meh: Iron Warriors (Mass oblits is good, the rest is kinda situational. Would be better if they had more access to Barrage stuff!), Word Bearers (Based on a crappy HQ), Thousand Sons (Still too expensive individually, and hate depending on good psy-power rolls)

Bad: Night Lords (Fear plus more Fear. Stealth and the night-forcing can be good, but won't help against the truly dangerous stuff out there. But they will sure stomp those quivering Fire warriors if they manage to survive overwatch!)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

I am sorely tempted to get all those crazy preachers for some dumb Necromunda gang.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SteelMentor posted:

Do these come in Resin or Metal? (Im not sure with the made to orders) drat I want several of these.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ghost Hand posted:

Do these come in Resin or Metal? (Im not sure with the made to orders) drat I want several of these.

I'm pretty sure they're metal.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Does anyone happen to have a higher res image of this old Nurgle Chaos star? I remember it being stuck in the back of GW catalogs as a kid and rightfully thinking it was badass.

bij fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 8, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That's true, it does look a wee bit fash :ohdear:
Agreed. Should've gotten something more obviously not-real, like the Imperial Aquila or Sigmarhammer with dual lightning bolts.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I swear to god I saw an actual Fash sticker with "Iron Within, Iron Without" unironicly blazoned upon it the other day. That was a serious case of :psyduck: as I was walking into work.

Y'gotta feel sorry for all the edgelords who got the Chaos Star tattooed on them as well, considering Neo-Nazis have tried to claim that as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

All made to orders are in metal unless noted otherwise. I think there was a techpriest in the first batch that was resin at least while the rest were in metal. But otherwise it's just best to double check their descriptions.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

That's a shame because the Iron Warriors have the best warcry.

I have a pretty fascist attitude towards fascists...

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Uroboros posted:

That's a shame because the Iron Warriors have the best warcry.

I have a pretty fascist attitude towards fascists...

Welcome to the Paradox of Intolerance! Tickets may be purchased for 1 Nazi scalp or 5 "88" or "hakenkreuz" tattoos. Enjoy your stay--we put violence to good use.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sephyr posted:

Can Death Guard HQs get artificer-armor equivalent? I want to give my T6 (+d3 if i roll the right power) FNP biker sorcerer a 2+ if I ever feel I have too many friends.

As far as pure rules goes, here's how I'm ranking them:

Great: Death Guard. Ridiculously strong resilience that can be boosted further, and Relentless on everything actually offers some interesting offense. Does it override the Slow and Purposeful on oblits?

Good: Alpha Legion (Sneaky and fun, can make some enemy deploys a nightmare), World Eaters (very forward and and fluffy) Emperor's Children (A good mix of fast and resilient that can be boosted, backed by a good sorcery discipline), Black Legion (

Meh: Iron Warriors (Mass oblits is good, the rest is kinda situational. Would be better if they had more access to Barrage stuff!), Word Bearers (Based on a crappy HQ), Thousand Sons (Still too expensive individually, and hate depending on good psy-power rolls)

Bad: Night Lords (Fear plus more Fear. Stealth and the night-forcing can be good, but won't help against the truly dangerous stuff out there. But they will sure stomp those quivering Fire warriors if they manage to survive overwatch!)

It doesn't look like DG have an artificer armor option; only some legions got one.

I think NL may be better than IW because the Detachment gives you the raptor legion as a core formation. it's one of the stronger formations in my opinion and not having to take a warband really changes things up, and they have good relics. Also don't forget that Chaos can stop overwatch fire with rhinos and dirge casters. They are one of the most underrated pieces of wargear in 40k.

Word Bearers are fine. You will always take a Black Mace ML3 DP with them, though.

World Eaters look p bad in my opinion. I just don't see a reason to ever take them over KDK.

Saedar
Nov 4, 2009

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
Hey thread, longtime lurker/seldom poster to the 40k thread checking in. I just picked up the Traitor legions codex...anyone want to know anything specific?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

Y'gotta feel sorry for all the edgelords who got the Chaos Star tattooed on them as well, considering Neo-Nazis have tried to claim that as well.

Which Neo-Nazis have tried to claim the eight pointed star?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

SRM posted:

I love trying to explain why the Japanese manji or any other use or meaning isn't the same as the Nazi swastika. It never works.

SRM posted:

Which Neo-Nazis have tried to claim the eight pointed star?

I imagine that it's supposed to be a reference to 88.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

In case anyone has a plastic spaceman budget left over, the Garden of Morr has been in stock for a while.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Garden-of-Morr

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Garden of Morr's a weird case. It never actually left stock, but it was unlisted from the website on and off for a bit over 2015 before finally settling down in about March of this year.

Deffo one of the best terrain kits GW's ever done, all the fantasy stuff was pretty great and I'm glad they're bringing them back individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Haha, you nerd. (Absently scratches Imperial Aquila tattooed on left shoulder...)

Looks good - your artist does color well.

Ignite Memories posted:

Other than having a skull, there is nothing in that tattoo to make anyone nervous. Anyone who looks at that and has a problem is going to have a problem with any tattooed white guy with a scary tattoo.

Hell, my Aquila is more cause for concern. When I was getting my physical for the military, the physician put down on my identifying marks "One Teutonic Eagle." I was like "Huh? Wait - no!"

• Locked thread