Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

I have seen the live action Riki-Oh movie, which was pretty insane.

if you think what the movie covers is insane, wait till you read the manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Laputanmachine posted:

I have seen the live action Riki-Oh movie, which was pretty insane.

The movie is pretty much a straight adaptation of the first few volumes of the manga.

Things only get crazier from there.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

HenryEx posted:

Who the gently caress takes life advice, or any advice, from manga

I find the advice from Dungeon Meshi very useful.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Seconding (thirding?) All Rounder Meguru.

Have a post I made in the "convince someone to read a manga by posting images" thread some time back.

Mikl posted:

All Rounder Meguru

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Compendium posted:

I find the advice from Dungeon Meshi very useful.

When making that post, i actually considered mentioning Dungeon Meshi as an exception (or any manga by that author, really), but went for brevity instead.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Dungeon Meshi is cool and good and I bet the advice on cooking mimics would be good if I ever buy a crab to eat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

in the event you haven't read riki-oh read that imo

kung fu man who punches through people and some insane sci-fi story involving nazi's i don't quite remember. Might have to reread it

oh man i read like half of that ages ago and was just agog at most of it

im reading kengan asura rn but i'll put riki-oh and meguru onthe list

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

oh man i read like half of that ages ago and was just agog at most of it

im reading kengan asura rn but i'll put riki-oh and meguru onthe list

Don't forget Rikudo. It's basically if Hajime no Ippo went full seinen and half of its characters turned evil.

The artwork got really good after the 1st few chapters also.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
riki-oh is famous for its movie adaption, Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky, which is notoriously graphically violent

on just the level of pure gratuitous over the top gore it does its part on living up to the manga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ9IZybfXyI

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

That Works posted:

Don't forget Rikudo. It's basically if Hajime no Ippo went full seinen and half of its characters turned evil.

The artwork got really good after the 1st few chapters also.

Dude's real good at drawing real intense eyes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also it's not a fightmanga but Grand Blue is a nice dumb read about male bonding

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I received a recommendation for a series called Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari. Have any of you read it? If so, what did you think of it?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's trash

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Assuming thats shield hero and not just something with a deceptively similar name

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mraagvpeine posted:

I received a recommendation for a series called Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari. Have any of you read it? If so, what did you think of it?

It's pretty by the numbers isekai stuff, which means it's slightly worse than your average young adult novel in quality

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is an mra manifesto with only a slight pretense of being a fantasy story

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I eat "fantasy world with RPGs mechanics" poo poo up but I still had to drop shield hero for being awful. Everyone besides the MC and his party is cartoonishly evil and incompetent with like two exceptions.

Also one of the girls went from being 10 to like 18 in the span of a night due to level up shenanigans and :yikes:

It's real bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tough which is by the riki-oh bloke is good too so long as you don't mind it not being realistic

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

It's pretty by the numbers isekai stuff, which means it's slightly worse than your average young adult novel in quality

I would say that your average isekai story is significantly worse than your average young adult novel. The elements that that define the genre are both far more limiting and far worse than the ones that define most YA stories.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

riki-oh is someone reading fist of the north star and deciding that people exploding isn't enough

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ytlaya posted:

I would say that your average isekai story is significantly worse than your average young adult novel. The elements that that define the genre are both far more limiting and far worse than the ones that define most YA stories.

I was being polite

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Let's all ignore that manga and post favourite extremely violent sci fi martial arts manga instead

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Since everyone is recommending Riki-OH, the same author has a pretty decent fighting manga called TOUGH. It is like a toned down version of Baki with less polarizing art

By which I mean, read Baki.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
More Dungeon Meshi hot off the presses: Specter Showdown with surprise guests, and the most horrifying recipe yet.

It's not a good day to be part of Laius' group.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
orc-lady rules

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I too really like the orc lady. She seems pretty chill

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I was kinda worried about the direction this was moving in after they defeated the dragon but this chapter was real good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got a 200 dollar amazon gift card for Christmas from my aunt, and in addition to socks and underwear, I decided to clear my wish list backlog a bit. I saw a library copy of Thermae Romae for 10 bucks shipped on there and snapped it up, but the first volume is still quite expensive. How long does the series go on for? I recall reading eight or so chapters that got put online years ago but haven't read past those, but they were fantastic.

Also, worth noting, it was essentially brand new outside of having some library stamping on the inside cover. For future purchases you may want to consider library books listed on amazon, they can be had for dirt cheap. I also picked up the entirety of lucifer and the biscuit hammer for about 35ish bucks shipped thanks to that, and they're like new.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 30, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I got a 200 dollar amazon gift card for Christmas from my aunt, and in addition to socks and underwear, I decided to clear my wish list backlog a bit. I saw a library copy of Thermae Romae for 10 bucks shipped on there and snapped it up, but the first volume is still quite expensive. How long does the series go on for? I recall reading eight or so chapters that got put online years ago but haven't read past those, but they were fantastic.

Also, worth noting, it was essentially brand new outside of having some library stamping on the inside cover. For future purchases you may want to consider library books listed on amazon, they can be had for dirt cheap. I also picked up the entirety of lucifer and the biscuit hammer for about 35ish bucks shipped thanks to that, and they're like new.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=42953

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Cool, so only 3 volumes? They're really, really nice quality too, though 35 bucks a book is still too much imo

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
there's some new Kine-san no 1-ri de Cinema chapters

Don't insult bad boys 2

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jose posted:

tough which is by the riki-oh bloke is good too so long as you don't mind it not being realistic

Anything Saruwatari makes is loving badass

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Looper posted:

Also it's not a fightmanga but Grand Blue is a nice dumb read about male bonding

You know, I want to thank you for turning me on to this, because this one is hilarious; idiots being terrible at each other and the world at large can be some of my favorite comedy ever, and this has delivered every chapter so far. The setting of college rather than high school already provides a lot of opportunities other manga of this type don't have the ability to do (I'd call it a great frat story, but all the characters introduced thus far are too likable to be in a fraternity, also there are no rapes*) and I admire how influenced by the classics the author seems to be; language and subject matter aside, several sequences could have come from the frigging Three Stooges in terms of flow. Also, the undersea sections are pretty gorgeous.

*Caveat, though: the toxic drinking culture of Japan is on full display, so mind that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

resurgam40 posted:

You know, I want to thank you for turning me on to this, because this one is hilarious; idiots being terrible at each other and the world at large can be some of my favorite comedy ever, and this has delivered every chapter so far.

Well, color me interested then. The tags, cover and synopsis on manga sites would've probably made me skip it if i had come across it randomly, but i'll give it a try.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The latest wonderland is metal as gently caress

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Wonderland

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
why does getting your leg amputated mean you grow a tiny new foot at the stub. I',m so confused by this art

I finally got back into reading Wonderland, I tapered off months ago once the alien cat lady got introduced. I just wanted Jurassic Park with cats. I'm back in though, there just aren't a lot of series to read and it's ok enough

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

why does getting your leg amputated mean you grow a tiny new foot at the stub. I',m so confused by this art

Has science gone too far???

I dunno, but it's gone pretty fuckin' far.

https://youtu.be/QQVAHbAV8QM

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

chill guys don't even care about getting hit by cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I finally got back into reading Wonderland, I tapered off months ago once the alien cat lady got introduced. I just wanted Jurassic Park with cats. I'm back in though, there just aren't a lot of series to read and it's ok enough

Its a surgical procedure that allows the amputee control over prostheses