Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Son of Rodney posted:

holy loving poo poo drat is chapter 13 or whatever the one in zegnautus keep is annoying as all hell. It's like they took every single bad design choice for a dungeon that a rpg can make and crammed it all in one dungeon.

Oh not all of them, it saved some for the optional post-game dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't have fun doing the pixel hunts to be honest.

That and the one time my game crashed.

Those quests are all poo poo. Just absolute poo poo. They remind me of the "find the moogle" quests in XIV that absolutely everyone hated enough that XIV's director Yoshida said, "yeah, we're never doing that again." The moogles were less trouble for me to find though, compared to the frogs and steam valves and bear traps.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

At least the frogs make noise so you know you're in roughly the right spot. Yellow frogs were in such a huge area, without that I never would have found them all.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
It's neat that they gave Iris a tech to use. I hope she enjoys mamalam thicket. :3:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The frog quests weren't too bad if you listened for them, at least until the Rainbow Frogs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXV makes me realize how much I've come to depend on Detective Vision-alikes to find small annoying things in games. This is not a flaw of detective visions.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Are there any other chapters than 4 and endgame that gate you off from full open world for prolonged periods of time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nina posted:

Are there any other chapters than 4 and endgame that gate you off from full open world for prolonged periods of time?

A good chunk of the chapters between 9 and 14 cut you off, though a good chunk of those are extremely short.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Just got the "hanging out with Prompto on top of the motel" scene and I was expecting to be roasting these boys with my friends the entire game, not caring about them and wanting to know more about them. I even had Ignis make one of Promto's favorites the next time we camped. SE's writing team did a good job with these boys.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I feel like playing with headphones definitely removed most of the frustration that others reported having with the frogs. I've only done the red and yellow frogs, and I last turned in the wyvern drop from her quest line, so I dunno if there's more troublesome frogs later.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The GIG posted:

Just got the "hanging out with Prompto on top of the motel" scene and I was expecting to be roasting these boys with my friends the entire game, not caring about them and wanting to know more about them. I even had Ignis make one of Promto's favorites the next time we camped. SE's writing team did a good job with these boys.

I love how they bring up that Brotherhood episode and Noctis caring for Prompto more than he knows.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moldy Taxes posted:

I feel like playing with headphones definitely removed most of the frustration that others reported having with the frogs. I've only done the red and yellow frogs, and I last turned in the wyvern drop from her quest line, so I dunno if there's more troublesome frogs later.

The rainbow frogs are basically look this poo poo up on the internet because goddamn.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nina posted:

I love how they bring up that Brotherhood episode and Noctis caring for Prompto more than he knows.

I thought that was genuinely sweet and a nice call back. The game might be a mess but I feel like the really important stuff stuck the landing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm nowhere near it but I was told Chapter 13 has a ton of jump scares. Can someone give me a low down because I'm a huge bitch baby that's faint of heart so jump scares seriously gently caress me up.

There are more than a few. (Chapter 13) Thankfully they're all similar. Sometimes when you walk near a magitek soldier on the ground, it'll grab your leg and you need to mash Circle for a moment. A demon tries to ambush you a few times but you can run from it easily enough.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Is the camera in Costlemark supposed to be frozen at a lovely angle?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

isk posted:

There are more than a few. (Chapter 13) Thankfully they're all similar. Sometimes when you walk near a magitek soldier on the ground, it'll grab your leg and you need to mash Circle for a moment. A demon tries to ambush you a few times but you can run from it easily enough.

You can also have a bit where you duck into a wall to stealth from a soldier and he walks past you, then grabs you out of the spot. Kinda unnerving from that perspective.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Am I missing something or is it not possible to listen to the portable MP3 player while fishing or riding a chocobo? I like the chocobo theme but it's getting kinda old.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ApplesandOranges posted:

You can also have a bit where you duck into a wall to stealth from a soldier and he walks past you, then grabs you out of the spot. Kinda unnerving from that perspective.

Perfectly avoidable if you refuse to use the gimmick and just Holy the fuckers to death because gently caress stealth sections.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Am I missing something or is it not possible to listen to the portable MP3 player while fishing or riding a chocobo? I like the chocobo theme but it's getting kinda old.

You can't :(

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pumped in 15 magitek boosters into my unicast iii. Only got 3 charges of it but it's a quintcast and my potency is 528. :getin:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

That's a really weird design decision. I hope they change it in a patch.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Just beat it, 61 hours with some content to go. Already watched a vid of the ending. Still something else watching it for my playthrough. Though it won't move the genre forward like The Witcher III did. Tabata & crew did a hell of a thing getting this to a final product. I'd love to see what they can do when they're handling the project from the start - after they sleep for a month.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I think it gets disabled during battles too... I've spent an absurd amount of time fishing so MP3 player + disable the character audio works pretty well there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Couple quick spoiler questions that I'd forgotten the answers to:

Does the coin Ardyn gives you at Galdin Quay come up again at any point? I'd filed it away as Plot Important but I couldn't think of any time where it appears again.

Does earning the mayor's respect at Altissa do anything? I earned it but I couldn't see how it affected any scenes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

air- posted:

I think it gets disabled during battles too... I've spent an absurd amount of time fishing so MP3 player + disable the character audio works pretty well there.

It does? I tried putting on the MP3 player and then fishing but it immediately shut it off.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

echronorian posted:

Goon opinion on this game after being out a while?

I'm still only in chapter 3, since I don't get much time to play this, but after about 12 hours I'm a big fan of all the sidequests. Combat somewhat resembles FF12's without gambits wherein your party members control themselves. The ability system mostly resembles FF10's sphere system (though not as vast as the sphere). The setting feels like FF7's environment (mostly modern with some medieval touches) and has some of 6's storyline (the Imperials are takin' over everything). It feels a lot like Skyrim in that you can get completely wrapped up in sidequests and ignore the main story.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm a pretty big Final Fantasy fan, and this doesn't feel like a FF game, save for the nostalgic touches they sprinkle all over the place.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ApplesandOranges posted:

Does the coin Ardyn gives you at Galdin Quay come up again at any point? I'd filed it away as Plot Important but I couldn't think of any time where it appears again.

Does earning the mayor's respect at Altissa do anything? I earned it but I couldn't see how it affected any scenes.

No to both.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

RatHat posted:

That's a really weird design decision. I hope they change it in a patch.

Mods, please make this the thread title

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think you get more oracle ascension coins for doing better in the negotiation, something like 0-5.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Perfectly avoidable if you refuse to use the gimmick and just Holy the fuckers to death because gently caress stealth sections.

A tip if you do this: Noctis's Magic seems to affect the damage of Holy like any other spell, so throw on two of your best +Mag accessories. Makes it quicker.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 8, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Thundercracker posted:

Mods, please make this the thread title

Final Fantasy XV: I hope they change it in a patch

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

seiferguy posted:

Combat somewhat resembles FF12's without gambits

I can't imagine a more opposite description of FF15's combat. There' actual action games to compare it to instead of trying to shoehorn in other FF's when most of them are turn-based.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I must have missed a tutorial prompt somewhere, why is it in dungeons some characters are randomly stuck at 1/4 of their maximum HP with no way to heal?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

I must have missed a tutorial prompt somewhere, why is it in dungeons some characters are randomly stuck at 1/4 of their maximum HP with no way to heal?

When a character goes *down* they begin to lose maximum HP even if they're revived. You either need to rest at a camp site or use an Elixir to recover it.

A character whose maximum HP hits 0 has to be Phoenix Down'd.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

When a character goes *down* they begin to lose maximum HP even if they're revived. You either need to rest at a camp site or use an Elixir to recover it.

A character whose maximum HP hits 0 has to be Phoenix Down'd.

Huh, I never noticed that. I know a "dead" character needs a phoenix down but I never made the connection that pulling someone out of danger in turn reduces their maximum hp.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is it really just going down that does that? I'd figured it was just taking damage before that portion came back

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

al-azad posted:

Huh, I never noticed that. I know a "dead" character needs a phoenix down but I never made the connection that pulling someone out of danger in turn reduces their maximum hp.

No being in 'Danger' (meaning zero actual hp) causes maximum hp to slowly drain, maximum hp does not come back with potions or being revived, you have to use an elixir or a phoenix down to recover the lost hp outside of camping/resting. I have noticed if you're not in a dungeon the boys do slowly, very slowly, recover max hp so you're never completely hosed if you're somehow incapable of resting/out of elixirs. If the boys are below a certain percentage, looks like below 10%, and you revive them from being in danger then they'll get about 10-15% of their max hp back.
Also, this might go without saying but, being hit while in danger state does cause the attack to take away max hp instead.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ardryn posted:

No being in 'Danger' (meaning zero actual hp) causes maximum hp to slowly drain, maximum hp does not come back with potions or being revived, you have to use an elixir or a phoenix down to recover the lost hp outside of camping/resting. I have noticed if you're not in a dungeon the boys do slowly, very slowly, recover max hp so you're never completely hosed if you're somehow incapable of resting/out of elixirs. If the boys are below a certain percentage, looks like below 10%, and you revive them from being in danger then they'll get about 10-15% of their max hp back.
Also, this might go without saying but, being hit while in danger state does cause the attack to take away max hp instead.

I wouldn't say "slowly" in the field at all because 20 hours in I never made the connection to the health thing. Healing is practically a non issue in between field battles but then flags start getting raised when everyone has 400/2000 hp in a dungeon.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I once got the bug where everybody had full bars but HP like they were below what they were at lv1.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

seiferguy posted:

I'm still only in chapter 3, since I don't get much time to play this, but after about 12 hours I'm a big fan of all the sidequests. Combat somewhat resembles FF12's without gambits wherein your party members control themselves. The ability system mostly resembles FF10's sphere system (though not as vast as the sphere). The setting feels like FF7's environment (mostly modern with some medieval touches) and has some of 6's storyline (the Imperials are takin' over everything). It feels a lot like Skyrim in that you can get completely wrapped up in sidequests and ignore the main story.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm a pretty big Final Fantasy fan, and this doesn't feel like a FF game, save for the nostalgic touches they sprinkle all over the place.

You are happy with the sidequests? Are you the magical person who absolutely loves Ubisoft open world game design?

The point of no return (at least for a long while) is the end of chapter 9 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
They have unique dialog and are often just fighting things.

I mean you aren't always going to get witcher 3 sidequests, and sometimes sidequests just being playing the game more/ getting more powerful is enough for a lot of people.

• Locked thread