Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can buy a power drill at a hardware store but that doesn't mean I'll install it on my outer door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's fine, I keep a power drill in the stairwell to drill out the lock in case of fire.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
:sigh: My front door and back french door are both double keyed. I keep nagging the wife about getting a new one with an internal thumbturn but she thinks we can't afford it right now.

gently caress my landlords, I'll hold on the old one and put them back when we leave.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can buy a power drill at a hardware store but that doesn't mean I'll install it on my outer door.

It would probably be a good intruder deterrent. I mean who would try to break into a house where someone crazy enough to do that lives?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

It would probably be a good intruder deterrent. I mean who would try to break into a house where someone crazy enough to do that lives?

Someone who needs a power drill?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

D34THROW posted:

she thinks we can't afford it right now.

Does she think you have to pay someone to do it? A new lock is like twenty bucks and you can change it yourself if you own a screwdriver.

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

BattleMaster posted:

The one and only time I've ever seen a door that needs a key to unlock on the inside was owned by someone who specifically installed it because they were paranoid about people smashing a window and reaching inside to unlock the door. Is it really a standard thing somewhere?

My parents' house in Centennial, CO has this on all exits, and has had it since they bought the place in 1992. I've offered to replace them several times to no avail. God help them if there's ever a fire and they can't find the key due to low visibility. Maybe I should just stealth-replace the next time I'm over.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

It's fine, I keep a power drill in the stairwell to drill out the lock in case of fire.
Well poo poo, maybe my landlord had it figured out all along and keeps one in his stairwell pile o' crap.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

Does she think you have to pay someone to do it? A new lock is like twenty bucks and you can change it yourself if you own a screwdriver.

Provided you don't have to do any additional drilling or mortising, which is not necessarily out of the question. That being said, if you stick with the same brand, it'll almost certainly be a drop-in replacement.

MenschMaschine posted:

My parents' house in Centennial, CO has this on all exits, and has had it since they bought the place in 1992. I've offered to replace them several times to no avail. God help them if there's ever a fire and they can't find the key due to low visibility. Maybe I should just stealth-replace the next time I'm over.

Normally, you leave the key in as a lever replacement, or you just don't lock it, which is what I do. Do they actually lock it from the inside and then wander off with their keys?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 6, 2016

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

In Sweden, front door locks with both a double cylinder and a thumbturn seem to be common. You can push down a switch on the side to disable the thumbturn when locking the door when you leave the house.

http://www.assa.se/sv/site/assa/produkter/konsumentgds/entredorr/kompletta-entrelas/ASSA-Entre-K1/

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

BattleMaster posted:

The one and only time I've ever seen a door that needs a key to unlock on the inside was owned by someone who specifically installed it because they were paranoid about people smashing a window and reaching inside to unlock the door. Is it really a standard thing somewhere?

The UK, where it's on pretty much every front door along with the yale lock, and most back doors. It's mostly used for extra security - some people only use it when they're going away somewhere and leaving the house empty.

Now I think about it, there are no doors in my house that you could get out of without a key.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BRB, smashing a window.

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

Bad Munki posted:

Normally, you leave the key in as a lever replacement, or you just don't lock it, which is what I do. Do they actually lock it from the inside and then wander off with their keys?

Yes, yes they do. They also did this when my sisters and I were small children living in this house. :wtc:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rectus posted:

In Sweden, front door locks with both a double cylinder and a thumbturn seem to be common. You can push down a switch on the side to disable the thumbturn when locking the door when you leave the house.

http://www.assa.se/sv/site/assa/produkter/konsumentgds/entredorr/kompletta-entrelas/ASSA-Entre-K1/

So you can trap guests inside the house? I don't understand the purpose of double cylinder locks other than to kill people in fires or trap people in your prison-home.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

So you can trap guests inside the house? I don't understand the purpose of double cylinder locks other than to kill people in fires or trap people in your prison-home.

Inside cylinders keep people from locking the door too. It keeps little shits inside a store from turning the handle and keeping customers out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Baronjutter posted:

We had one on our front door when we moved in, because the top half is glass and I'm sure the (dumb) assumption was that someone could just smash it and unlock the door.

My gf especially hated unlocking ourselves out of my our drat house every morning though, or fumbling for the keys to answer the door, so I just caulked in a stained glass privacy insert over the glass portion and put a regular latched deadbolt on. I figure, A, nobody is going to break in the front door like that, and B, my house is covered in windows anyways and it only takes a few seconds to bump a house lock. Locks are for honest people.

That being said, the previous owners who had this double cylinder lock front door arrangement, are the same ones who didn't have a locking back door, just a flimsy patio storm door on the mudroom. I made a point of replacing that sucker ASAP, because that was just dumb.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 7, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Inside cylinders keep people from locking the door too. It keeps little shits inside a store from turning the handle and keeping customers out.

And by code you can totally have those on the front door of your retail shop, providing you have sufficient egress with crash bars and such for non-public hours staff and NEVER lock it during business hours with customers inside.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

And by code you can totally have those on the front door of your retail shop, providing you have sufficient egress with crash bars and such for non-public hours staff and NEVER lock it during business hours with customers inside.

Ahh, that explains the "this door to remain unlocked and open during business hours" signs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ahh, that explains the "this door to remain unlocked and open during business hours" signs.

That's the one. It's a specific exemption given either by code or the AHJ to a business to make that accommodation, and usually requires a sign like that.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Well, it does help against burglars just walking out with all your property even if they smash a window to enter your house.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Baronjutter posted:

It prevents burglars from reaching in through the mail slot (with some kind of a tool) and simply turning a handle to open the door. Normally you'd have an everyday lock which locks automatically and opens from inside with a handle, and the double cylinder lock as an extra which you have to lock by turning a key. But yeah, if you forget you still had guests inside and lock it from outside, you can totally trap them inside.

Also scared old grannies will lock it from inside and when they fall down and can't get up, the fire brigade has to bust the door to let the ambulance crew in. My apartment has a brand new door because exactly this happened to the previous inhabitant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Things like that only make sense if you already have bars on your windows, or at least security glass, and locks of unusual security.

Most doors are pretty easy to kick in, too.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Things like that only make sense if you already have bars on your windows, or at least security glass, and locks of unusual security.

Most doors are pretty easy to kick in, too.

It depends a lot on where the windows are located too. Here in Sweden the norm seem to have a basement, which often puts the first floor windows high enough to be hard to reach without a ladder. And even if the windows are reachable, it's going to be a lot harder to get big loot out through a window.

But yeah, if your door is made of cardboard, no lock will help.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
The last office-building I worked in had an "interesting" hallway to the bathroom. There were 3 doors. One unlocked to the bathroom. The other two doors had keycode locks to two different offices. No other exit. If you went to the bathroom, and didn't know the keycode, you couldn't get back into the office and you were locked into this little hallway area.

There was a phone that went to security in case you got locked in.

I was there when they installed this. Supposedly it passed inspection. I can't imagine how.

There was a big sign on the door when going to the bathroom that read something like "The code to get back in is 1234 REMEMBER THIS"

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike

Rectus posted:

Well, it does help against burglars just walking out with all your property even if they smash a window to enter your house.

Yep.

Unless you live in an area with no break-ins you're a fool to not use a double cylinder lock if you have a fancy door with glass in or around it. Its fine to use a single cylinder lock on all other doors, such as the garage door. If it were up to me I'd have a single cylinder lock on a front door with no glass, but typically the women in your life will want a front door with glass, or a large french door in the kitchen which is a nightmare to secure properly.

Personally I have all family members practice evacuating the house a couple times a year (as everyone should). This includes locating the key and being able to use it blindfolded, despite the fact that there are many other exits that do not require a key (in case they are blocked). On the door with a double cylinder the key is always kept near it in the same spot and never taken away.

You should also beef up your strike plate / frame you have a lovely one to make it much harder to kick in the door. Its hilarious when people buy the most expensive deadbolt and the strike plate is thin metal secured by a couple short screws that don't extend into the frame much at all.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Leperflesh posted:

I already changed the knob on the garage door to be keyed inside and thumbturn garage side because the loving kids bust out there if it's a thumbturn inside.

She thinks we just can't spare the $20 right now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vulcan posted:

Personally I have all family members practice evacuating the house a couple times a year (as everyone should). This includes locating the key and being able to use it blindfolded

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Vulcan posted:

Yep.

Unless you live in an area with no break-ins you're a fool to not use a double cylinder lock if you have a fancy door with glass in or around it. Its fine to use a single cylinder lock on all other doors, such as the garage door. If it were up to me I'd have a single cylinder lock on a front door with no glass, but typically the women in your life will want a front door with glass, or a large french door in the kitchen which is a nightmare to secure properly.

Personally I have all family members practice evacuating the house a couple times a year (as everyone should). This includes locating the key and being able to use it blindfolded, despite the fact that there are many other exits that do not require a key (in case they are blocked). On the door with a double cylinder the key is always kept near it in the same spot and never taken away.

You should also beef up your strike plate / frame you have a lovely one to make it much harder to kick in the door. Its hilarious when people buy the most expensive deadbolt and the strike plate is thin metal secured by a couple short screws that don't extend into the frame much at all.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Vulcan posted:

Yep.

Do you drive a 1984 Plymouth Voyager with bubble windows? Asking for a friend.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Depending on where you're at, gas may be cheaper than electricity. Possibly a genius way to beat the system!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vulcan posted:

If it were up to me I'd have a single cylinder lock on a front door with no glass, but typically the women in your life will want a front door with glass, or a large french door in the kitchen which is a nightmare to secure properly.

Front doors with glass are terrible because you can’t sneak up on the door, see Jehova’s Witnesses, and sneak away without them knowing you’re home.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Front doors with glass are terrible because you can’t sneak up on the door, see Jehova’s Witnesses, and sneak away without them knowing you’re home.

It scaring off proselytizers that hard for most people? Copies of Diagenetics aren't so difficult to come by.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Platystemon posted:

Why sneak around at all? Last time LDS knocked on my door, I walked up, opened the blinds, closed the blinds, walked away and sat back down on the couch to finish watching my show. Pretty sure they got the message better than me pretending I'm not home.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can’t scare off axe murderers with L. Ron books.

Is it weird that I don’t want randos off the street to be able to see inside my home?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have a "NO SOLICITORS (thank you)" sign on my door and it works fine. Used to get all sorts of random scammy door-to-door poo poo (religious types included), now I just get neighbors, guests, and deliveries. It's nice. :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is good, make sure your toilet water isn't too cold!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Magnus Praeda posted:

Why sneak around at all? Last time LDS knocked on my door, I walked up, opened the blinds, closed the blinds, walked away and sat back down on the couch to finish watching my show. Pretty sure they got the message better than me pretending I'm not home.

I just open the door and say "Thank you, but everyone in this household is happy with their relationship with Jesus." It gets the message across without throwing up "I need spiritual help" signals and without being an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Otoh its the LDS church, gently caress em.