Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Fellow Sardads, I have received my case of King Oscar Spanish Style dines.

Notes:
-The original shipping label to amazon from the supplier shows that these are distributed by Bumblebee.
-There is barely any carrot in the tin, and I have yet to find a pickle 3 tins in.
-For a boneless/skinless dine, these are pretty okay. They are less tuna-y than other boneless/skinless dines.
-There is a nice pepper flavor to the oil, but I wouldn't quite call it spice.

Not quite the life changing experience I had hoped, but still drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

My Man Shran posted:

Fellow Sardads, I have received my case of King Oscar Spanish Style dines.

Notes:
-The original shipping label to amazon from the supplier shows that these are distributed by Bumblebee.
-There is barely any carrot in the tin, and I have yet to find a pickle 3 tins in.
-For a boneless/skinless dine, these are pretty okay. They are less tuna-y than other boneless/skinless dines.
-There is a nice pepper flavor to the oil, but I wouldn't quite call it spice.

Not quite the life changing experience I had hoped, but still drat good.

My Royal Taster box arrived today, and I agree: it's very good for boneless skinless, but overall meh. I had one tiny piece of carrot in the tin and one pepper (which wasn't hot when eaten whole, but very flavorful). Overall this might be my new favorite skinless boneless tin, but on the whole I'd still take a good tin of skin-on bone-in. I wish they made this flavor in tiny whole 'dine form, like the Mediterranean.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

more proof that boneless/skinless are no doubt inferior. let's be honest now.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

nawcom posted:

it's indisputably true

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

nawcom posted:

They are good but basically like tinned trout or super awesome tuna. Good for pasta dishes.

Not cracker/hot sauce material.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nawcom posted:

I had my KO boneless/skinless Spanish style dines for lunch today, on sardines, and yeah they were good quality fish but boring. Wish there had been way, way more peppers in there.

I'm happy enough eating boneless/skinless dines with shitloads of Tabasco on crackers, but I don't have a work Tabasco bottle (yet).

I ate them in the lab because I figured I'd try to be nice and not make all the cube area smell like 'dines, but in a surprise twist there were also people working in the lab space today. I ate the 'dines in there anyway because it's got more ventilation.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone seen Frank?

It's his lunchtime man, go check around the fume hoods.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Anyone seen Frank?

It's his lunchtime man, go check around the fume hoods.

Finally figured out how to eat my dines without getting fishy oil all over my hands

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.
I like the bone-in, skin-on KOs better than the boneless, skinless, which to me taste way closer to canned tuna than the other. I was at World Market the other day on the hunt for some Christmas presents, and they had some interesting looking 'dines, but they were like $3.99 a tin. I could get a pound of chicken breasts for $2.99 so just gotta keep things in perspective here. That's way too much for some tiny fishies.

Came home and had some Jalapeņo KOs on homemade sourdough bread with an over easy egg and some chili garlic sauce instead of those fancy-pants World Market 'dines. Life is good.

:fork:

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
I've just started eating ko sardines with bones and skins and they are not bad at all. I don't think I'll ever go back to skinless/boneless but I'm still trying to get used to tail fin parts.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Finally figured out how to eat my dines without getting fishy oil all over my hands

okay now for the hard part... avoiding fishy oil on your lips

:haw:

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 9, 2016

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

but I don't have a work Tabasco bottle (yet)

shameful

I got my husband into hot sauce and I am so proud

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Pham Nuwen posted:

I had my KO boneless/skinless Spanish style dines for lunch today, on sardines, and yeah they were good quality fish but boring.

Look at this guy going all meta-dad, putting sardines on his sardines

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

theres a will theres moe posted:

Look at this guy going all meta-dad, putting sardines on his sardines

gently caress me, this is actually the first time I noticed how close "sardines" is to "saltines".

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pham Nuwen posted:

gently caress me, this is actually the first time I noticed how close "sardines" is to "saltines".

Lotsa troubles there for Japanadads

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Well I done met my match. Van Camp's kipper snacks are quite possibly the worst canned fish I have ever had. I've had some iffy ones that didn't thrill me on Triscuits, but I at least threw them into a pasta sauce or a salad dressing the next day. This was the first time I've ever just said "gently caress it" and threw the fish out, consoling myself that kipper tins are slightly bigger and make a good raw material for my sardine art.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I used to love getting the Thai version of these things when I was upcountry in Thailand, usually for sale at little roadside stalls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuxlo9xkS5Y

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I'm considering getting dried sardines to make this (if my dad ever goes to the asian market to get his drat 5 gallons buckets of soy sauce........) but, like, would I eat the whole fish? I guess? it doesn't really bother me but I want to make sure it's cool and good to eat

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The Snoo posted:

I'm considering getting dried sardines to make this (if my dad ever goes to the asian market to get his drat 5 gallons buckets of soy sauce........) but, like, would I eat the whole fish? I guess? it doesn't really bother me but I want to make sure it's cool and good to eat

It's fine.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Got another royal tasters kit.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

hey...uh...these are pretty good. i like them on crackres, thanks 2 this threade

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.
KO had another Facebook taster thing today, but it got full SUPER fast.

Edit: I got in, but I'm kinda bummed because it's for boneless skinless and I much prefer the others. Oh well. FREE 'DINES!

dreadspork fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 15, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Snoo posted:

the new/fancy bumblybee sardines were discussed earlier in the thread; my shoprite had them on sale for $1.75 and I grabbed these because I love the KO mediterranean ones.

did you make sure to leave 42 grams of fish bits in the container for lunch tomorrow as the serving size encourages?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Look Sir Droids posted:

Got another royal tasters kit.

I finally got in on one and got them in the mail yesterday. Not only is it free dines, but you get a coupon also. Today I also stocked up on Wasa crackers, avocado, and hot sauce. It's a good day.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Down to about 4 cans of my case of sprats.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

What is this fine fishnoodle dish you have presented us with?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My Man Shran posted:

What is this fine fishnoodle dish you have presented us with?

This makes about twice what's in my photo,
Roughly:
1/2 # linguini
1 can riga sprats (5.6oz) drained but reserve the oil
parsley (I like the freeze dried stuff)
lemon juice
fermented chili paste (the stuff I use is homemade from a guy back home but something hot and sharp like sambal olek would be pretty close; you want a spicy complex, sharpish thing, not a sweet one
jarred pasta sauce
salt and pepper

Then do this:
*Get your pasta going in just enough water to cover it.
*Combine maybe 1/4c of pasta sauce, squeeze of lemon, parsley and pepper to taste, your drained dines. Set this aside. If you're feeling fancy reserve a whole dine per serving for garnish.
*When your pasta is done, reserve a ladle of water (chuck it in with the sauce and other stuff from step 2) and drain
*Turn your heat down to about 75%, throw your pasta, sauce/dine mixture and pasta water back into the pot or pan you've been using, add just a couple spoonfuls of reserved dine oil and stir like you mean it until the liquid is reduced and coating the pasta really nicely
*Salt to taste but it shouldn't need too much between the dines and chili paste

the yeti fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 18, 2016

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

King Oscar is doing another haiku challenge.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Eat the little fish
They are very good for you
Even the boners

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem
May 29, 2011

um,

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Friend sheep-goats is just making sure the thread is bumped so the gospel of the smallfish continues to thrive

Thank you, sheepgoat.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the yeti posted:

This makes about twice what's in my photo,
Roughly:
1/2 # linguini
1 can riga sprats (5.6oz) drained but reserve the oil
parsley (I like the freeze dried stuff)
lemon juice
fermented chili paste (the stuff I use is homemade from a guy back home but something hot and sharp like sambal olek would be pretty close; you want a spicy complex, sharpish thing, not a sweet one
jarred pasta sauce
salt and pepper

Then do this:
*Get your pasta going in just enough water to cover it.
*Combine maybe 1/4c of pasta sauce, squeeze of lemon, parsley and pepper to taste, your drained dines. Set this aside. If you're feeling fancy reserve a whole dine per serving for garnish.
*When your pasta is done, reserve a ladle of water (chuck it in with the sauce and other stuff from step 2) and drain
*Turn your heat down to about 75%, throw your pasta, sauce/dine mixture and pasta water back into the pot or pan you've been using, add just a couple spoonfuls of reserved dine oil and stir like you mean it until the liquid is reduced and coating the pasta really nicely
*Salt to taste but it shouldn't need too much between the dines and chili paste

👌👌👌 I like making dishes similar to this with sardines and it's very good :) I'll have to make this with the other half of my tin of KOs tomorrow.

I keep adding sambal olek to everything right now as well, it's so tasty

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
The King Oscar haiku contest is live on their Facebook page. I won a sardine fork, free tin coupon, and a box of vintage 2007 sardines last year. You can enter as many times as you want, so start writing those haikus!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I saw one of these in a store today

It is called a povitica

A loaf weighs maybe four pounds or something it seems real great

Apparently it's an old world Polish thing which is good because you know that just a huge amount of suffering was involved in it somehow

raton fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 21, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

nothing like a midnight snack of bacon and cados on toast

its really really hard to make cados look green and not just like baby puke on camera when you mash em up

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sheep-Goats posted:

I saw one of these in a store today

It is called a povitica

A loaf weighs maybe four pounds or something it seems real great

Apparently it's an old world Polish thing which is good because you know that just a huge amount of suffering was involved in it somehow

I need this in my life

I grew up in a polish neighborhood how did I miss out on this

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Going to eat sards right out of the smelly tin in front of my very southern the-only-good-food-is-fried-nuggets family this christmas.

Any suggestions for extra gross canned seameats? I am down for the smoked shellfishes, the gooey pinkfish, and things with tentacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I've never clicked on this thread but I had a bunch of fried sardines for dinner. They were good. I like sardines.