Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

meanwhile,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-trump-tower-pig-balloons-20161206-story.html

ed: balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The best part for Chicago is that installing the giant gold pigs only requires closing down two neighborhood schools in black areas. It's a bargain.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Yinlock posted:

the pussy sjws are at it again, bein' concerned about police violence

Same, but sponsored by Pringles and is #7 in the list of "12 Ways Pringles is Building a Rainbow Coalition of Flavor"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Grondoth posted:

btw this is literally the thing "virtue signaling" was invented to describe, before internet videogamesmen turned it into something useless

the non-tainted term is performative wokeness

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stale Saltines posted:

Also reminder that they don't pay taxes on this.

“The joke about Harvard is that it’s a hedge fund with a university attached to it,”

Is this chart propounding the argument that tuition paid to private colleges should be taxed? That seems to be the argument this is making. Please tell me that's not it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
It's also the laziest apples-to-oranges comparison in the world.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

The best part for Chicago is that installing the giant gold pigs only requires closing down two neighborhood schools in black areas. It's a bargain.

jeez, I would have taken a broken leg :smith:

but it's the Loop, so there's no integrated schools at all! (I don''t have an emote for this)

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Weeping Wound posted:

jeez, I would have taken a broken leg :smith:

but it's the Loop, so there's no integrated schools at all! (I don''t have an emote for this)

:heritage: ?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Stale Saltines posted:

“The joke about Harvard is that it’s a hedge fund with a university attached to it,”

They are, Yale is like this, too. Both are massive, pay almost no taxes, own large amounts of property and control the local economies without contributing.

Also note that the areas around these illustrious super rich universities are some of the poorest in the country. So they use the local services like fire/police and pay almost nothing for this.

gently caress Ivy League.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Do they pay the equivalent of capital gains? I know this basic situation is pretty much why the Texas college system is the way it is (and why it's pretty hosed as a result), but I wonder how you fix it without loving students any more than they already get by mortgaging their future for a receipt.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Remember that safety pin box? https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/806241671776088064

Turns out that Lee Fang of the Intercept is a race traitor for saying "Maybe giving $1,200 a year to some hucksters is a bad idea".

Gotta love the cesspool that is #woke twitter.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
His burn was too strong

https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/805203257949700097

peeper
Jun 21, 2005
Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

Is this chart propounding the argument that tuition paid to private colleges should be taxed? That seems to be the argument this is making. Please tell me that's not it.

Vox Nihili posted:

The argument is that they invest billions, don't pay capital gains, since they're a not for profit, then reinvest that to make even more, while stiffing their employees. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/12/us/harvards-cafeteria-workers-strike.html

Tuition doesn't matter to the bottom line of harvard/mit/stanford/etc, at least not compared to their investment activity, or their research grants.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"They are actually helping"

What is this dumb liberal bullshit answer to everything stupid the left does?

Stop sounding loving delusional goddamn it

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Laphroaig posted:

Remember that safety pin box? https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/806241671776088064

Turns out that Lee Fang of the Intercept is a race traitor for saying "Maybe giving $1,200 a year to some hucksters is a bad idea".

Gotta love the cesspool that is #woke twitter.

Idiots completely wrapped up in identity politics are some of the most virulently racist people online outside of cesspits like /pol/.

eg: "Wrong colored children," a thing unironically said in a Halloween costume thread on Neogaf

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Perfect Potato posted:

Idiots completely wrapped up in identity politics are some of the most virulently racist people online outside of cesspits like /pol/.

eg: "Wrong colored children," a thing unironically said in a Halloween costume thread on Neogaf

you're not wrong that woke twitter fuckin sucks, but since when is Neogaf a haven of far left voices

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Tatum Girlparts posted:

you're not wrong that woke twitter fuckin sucks, but since when is Neogaf a haven of far left voices

since 2016. its also not far left, its just the Tumblr set has come of age.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Stale Saltines posted:

capitalism owns

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sylink posted:

Also note that the areas around these illustrious super rich universities are some of the poorest in the country. So they use the local services like fire/police and pay almost nothing for this.

ithaca is the only population center in upstate NY that isn't a complete shell of its former self and they've got Cornell. i guess that school really isn't a true Ivy after all

Perfect Potato posted:

when you're the type of person who regularly says that you can't talk about X topic because you're not the proper shade of color, racism and exclusion comes with the territory. also, "person of color" sounds like a stone's throw away from being "colored person" and yet it's empowering, for some reason

anyway i'll shut up now, here's some content

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Whoa safety pins!

Mmmm, maybe capitalism b....b....baaad

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

AceRimmer posted:

Yeah no poo poo

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

Whoa safety pins!

Did this thing reset to 8 years when Obama was elected?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I saw this on twitter yesterday and figured it had to be a parody account (a la "Smash Mouth eat the eggs" bullshit) because what on earth does the band Smash Mouth have to do with a pearl harbor memorial?

even if someone in the band had a grand-dad who served in WW2 or something, why on earth was this the best way to show support? the mind boggles

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I saw this on twitter yesterday and figured it had to be a parody account (a la "Smash Mouth eat the eggs" bullshit) because what on earth does the band Smash Mouth have to do with a pearl harbor memorial?

even if someone in the band had a grand-dad who served in WW2 or something, why on earth was this the best way to show support? the mind boggles

*pulls self out of burning sinking carrier wreckage, corpses of my friends and crewmates bobbing to the surface around me*

[Overdub] I wasn't even supposed to be here today. It's been a crazy year and I was looking forward to being stationed in Hawaii, to catch some waves, drink some brews, and catch some unpronounceable venereal diseases from the local ladies. I guess Hirohito had other plans. I hate Tuesdays. *clinging to a floating bit of debris, mug to camera, freeze frame, cue music*

some BODY once told me

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

(the means of production)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
edit (((the means of production)))

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

people don't know it but one of the first broadcasts we got during the attack was actually the Arizona sending a message of 'uh oh, spaghetti-o's!'

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

it looooooves death

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Uh oh!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sylink posted:

Uh. Have you been to Cambridge? Its, well, not poor.

Yale and Columbia are pretty bad offenders in this regard though. New Haven is a shithole and walk two blocks from Columbia's campus and you're in the hood.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

mods please change my name to PERFORMATIVE WOKE PERSON thanks

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my first post in this thread, but it's worth posting again

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

My great-grandpa was on Spaghetti-o Jima

lua
Jun 16, 2013

Sylink posted:

They are, Yale is like this, too. Both are massive, pay almost no taxes, own large amounts of property and control the local economies without contributing.

guess which is upenn and which is the city of philadelphia

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Lord of Pie posted:

My great-grandpa was on Spaghetti-o Jima

:golfclap:

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot
Richard Wolff had some extremely good things to say about private Universities in the USA and how even with the "PILOT" (payment in lieu of taxes) program they pay a fraction of a fraction of what they should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lv0fEMAQrc

This is how you know identity politics being pushed by the hedge fund managers and spoilt rich students at these colleges is intended to divide and quell class anger over inequality.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Trumpenproletariat posted:

Richard Wolff had some extremely good things to say about private Universities in the USA and how even with the "PILOT" (payment in lieu of taxes) program they pay a fraction of a fraction of what they should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lv0fEMAQrc

This is how you know identity politics being pushed by the hedge fund managers and spoilt rich students at these colleges is intended to divide and quell class anger over inequality.

Holy poo poo. I'm not American, but has this farce gotten any traction in terms of media/protests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

sitchensis posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm not American, but has this farce gotten any traction in terms of media/protests?

no