Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Got to keep tensions high between the members of the defunct Avocados at Law.

Therefore Karen will run into iron fist and keep it a secret from everyone, until poo poo boils over into Daredevil S3 or Defenders.

bloodychill posted:

The younger, more optimistic version of Spiderman in MCU/Homecoming really doesn't fit the tone of the Netflix series. Doesn't seem likely he'd show up.

Do we really need to rehash the ”you're doing it wrong” argument from Daredevil?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloneboy
May 7, 2014

Sjs00 posted:

Daredevil
(j)Essica Jones
(Iron) Fist
(Luk)E Cage
(Pu)Nisher SQUEEEE
(Spi)Der-Man?!
Spells out 'DEFEND'

The N looks like it's from Jessica Jones.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

cloneboy posted:

So then the E is (Punish)Er?

cloneboy
May 7, 2014

Kheldarn posted:

So then the E is (Punish)Er?

No.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
The first E and the second D are from show titles we haven't seen yet. One would have to be Punisher, so that would be the E (the E N is clearly from JJ if you look it up).

Edited for dumb

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 8, 2016

cloneboy
May 7, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

The first E and the second D are from show titles we haven't seen yet. One would have to be Punisher, so that would be the E (the other E is clearly from JJ if you look it up).

The second E is from Luke Cage.

I thought the first E was also from Jessica Jones, but the spacing between the first and second arms and the second and third arms are different, so I dunno.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

cloneboy posted:

The second E is from Luke Cage.

I thought the first E was also from Jessica Jones, but the spacing between the first and second arms and the second and third arms are different, so I dunno.

Sorry, meant that the JJ letter was N. Things that happen when you're in a hurry.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Once we figure out where the letters come from, then we can start working on what they spell out.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Lurdiak posted:

He was a pro wrestler and his manager ripped off Daredevil and Wolverine's outfits for marketing purposes. Then he got super strength and started hanging out with Captain America, who's then-sidekick treated him like poo poo. They lost touch and D-man had a mental breakdown and became a deluded hobo.

And since Sam took over as Cap, Dennis works for him and is back to (mostly) normal. Although Misty is in it too and she's busy being all over Sam and has an incredibly lovely outfit. Which means no more Danny+Misty? I don't know. I don't read these dumb books very much.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 8, 2016

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

cloneboy posted:

This isn't that complex.

The first D is Daredevil.
The first E is Jessica Jones.
The F is Iron Fist.
The second E is Luke Cage.
The N is Jessica Jones again.
And the second D is Daredevil again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SaviourX posted:

And since Sam took over as Cap, Dennis works for him and is back to (mostly) normal. Although Misty is in it too and she's busy being all over Sam and has an incredibly lovely outfit. Which means no more Danny+Misty? I don't know. I don't read these dumb books very much.

It had best not mean that Danny and Misty broke up. Their union is way more important than Peter and MJ.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

This isn't that complex.

The first D is Daredevil.
The first E is Jessica Jones.
The F is Iron Fist.
The second E is Luke Cage.
The N is Jessica Jones again.
And the second D is Daredevil again.

The first E is not from Jessica Jones' title. The middle of the E is always equidistant from the top and bottom part of the letter.

I don't know if this will be the final title for Netflix's The Punisher, but its E doesn't match either.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80117498

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SaviourX posted:

I just looked her up Captain America appearance, and if this...

is the costume you mean, then yea, I agree, it's hideous. An awful arrangement of colors and shapes that isn't visually appealing at all. Her street clothes look with a focus on red was much nicer. At least she still has her big ol' afro though I guess. Which is nice. I did see she became Captain America herself though. For one issue. Her costume was better than Sam's for that one issue at least. I loathe the half mask eye thing he always wears though. Gambit was the only character who ever pulled one of those off, and even he could have done without it.

Gyges posted:

It had best not mean that Danny and Misty broke up. Their union is way more important than Peter and MJ.

I spotted a picture of Sam and Misty making out, so I presume she and Danny either divorced or just got flat out forgotten about. Not suprising though I suppose. Had to happen eventually given they were a relatively obscure couple. If even Superman and Lois Lane can be broken up along with Peter and MJ, then Danny and Misty have no chance.

Still, at least it isn't Storm and Black Panther I guess, where two characters who had no real prior history or relationship inextricably fell and love and got married in the space of a few issues because Black comic characters have to date each other or something. It looks like the writers are taking the time to establish a relationship first and work on it, which is a step up even if the break up of Danny and Misty is sad. At least it'll be harder to break up couples like Reed and Sue Richards or Luke Cage and Jessica Jones since they have kids, and those would be more awkward to write out or break up.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 8, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

tsob posted:

It looks like the writers are taking the time to establish a relationship first and work on it, which is a step up even if the break up of Danny and Misty is sad. At least it'll be harder to break up couples like Reed and Sue Richards or Luke Cage and Jessica Jones since they have kids, and those would be more awkward to write out or break up.

Except Misty and Danny have a kid, too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did they? I thought she was only pregnant and eventually had it changed under other writers to false pregnancy? I stand corrected then I guess.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tsob posted:

At least it'll be harder to break up couples like Reed and Sue Richards or Luke Cage and Jessica Jones since they have kids, and those would be more awkward to write out or break up.

The current Jessica Jones book seems to be putting that theory to the test.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
To be fair Sue probably SHOULD have left Reed decades ago

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

tsob posted:

Did they? I thought she was only pregnant and eventually had it changed under other writers to false pregnancy? I stand corrected then I guess.

Yeah, Lucy. Luke & Jessica babysat her while Danny & Misty went out on a married date.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, Lucy. Luke & Jessica babysat her while Danny & Misty went out on a married date.

That was in Secret Wars, which was an alternate universe.

Misty and Danny do not have a kid and were never married.

And yes, Misty had a false pregnancy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
According to Wikipedia, after the false pregnancy Danny and Misty stopped living together but kept seeing each other. Then 4 or 5 paragraphs later she's in a relationship with Sam.

Marvel is bullshit. Break up Peter and MJ, break up Danny and Misty, poo poo they actually killed Sue and the kids. I think they went and broke up Black Panther and Storm too.

Marvel is run by some weird dudes with relationship issues who can't stand to let couples stay together.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The bad thing about Black Panther and Storm isn't that they broke up (not surprising, though I hadn't noticed), but that they became a couple at all in the first place. It was mostly just Reginald Hudlin being weird that made two characters who'd barely interacted meet, fall in love and marry in short order. And while you're giving out about Marvel is DC any better? Superman and Lois Lane's relationship was retconned for 5 years or so and only recently returned according to Wikipedia, Green Lantern and Black Canary are no longer a thing, neither are Batgirl/Oracle and Nightwing - unless it's changed again while I wasn't looking, and they wouldn't let whoever wrote the Batwoman comic marry her and Maggie Sawyer. Not that Marvel are any better about gay couples, since Hulking/Wiccan and others went through similar troubles from what I recall reading.

Are Sue, Valeria and Franklin dead? I doubt that will last more than a couple of years. Frankly I'm surprised Peter and MJ were still broken up last I checked, and if Superman and Lois Lane got re-retconned back in to a thing that'll probably happen at some point soon too. It's really just the nature of comics as never ending soap operas that need to generate a continuous stream of drama and story, as well as continue to stoke fan interest or outrage to make sales. Nothing will last forever in comics because of those needs. If even Bucky can not just return, but come back as an interesting and successful character in his own right with nearly a decade of comics under his belt again at this point then Uncle Ben will probably make a "shocking" return at some point just to try and build interest.

And while Reed and Sue will probably become a couple again in a few years when she's brought back I was considering it earlier and they'd probably be more relevant as a divorced couple with shared custody of their kids given the current rate of divorce in much of the first world.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 8, 2016

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gyges posted:

Marvel is run by some weird dudes with relationship issues who can't stand to let couples stay together.

Appropriate that Joss Whedon was so deep in Marvel for so long. Characters getting together is a death mark for at least one of them...breaking up painfully is the best case scenario.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tsob posted:

The bad thing about Black Panther and Storm isn't that they broke up (not surprising, though I hadn't noticed), but that they became a couple at all in the first place. It was mostly just Reginald Hudlin being weird that made two characters who'd barely interacted meet, fall in love and marry in short order. And while you're giving out about Marvel is DC any better? Superman and Lois Lane's relationship was retconned for 5 years or so and only recently returned according to Wikipedia, Green Lantern and Black Canary are no longer a thing, neither are Batgirl/Oracle and Nightwing - unless it's changed again while I wasn't looking, and they wouldn't let whoever wrote the Batwoman comic marry her and Maggie Sawyer. Not that Marvel are any better about gay couples, since Hulking/Wiccan and others went through similar troubles from what I recall reading.

Are Sue, Valeria and Franklin dead? I doubt that will last more than a couple of years. Frankly I'm surprised Peter and MJ were still broken up last I checked, and if Superman and Lois Lane got re-retconned back in to a thing that'll probably happen at some point soon too. It's really just the nature of comics as never ending soap operas that need to generate a continuous stream of drama and story, as well as continue to stoke fan interest or outrage to make sales. Nothing will last forever in comics because of those needs. If even Bucky can not just return, but come back as an interesting and successful character in his own right with nearly a decade of comics under his belt again at this point then Uncle Ben will probably make a "shocking" return at some point just to try and build interest.

And while Reed and Sue will probably become a couple again in a few years when she's brought back I was considering it earlier and they'd probably be more relevant as a divorced couple with shared custody of their kids given the current rate of divorce in much of the first world.

"Yeah but DC" is not a defense.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Aphrodite posted:

"Yeah but DC" is not a defense.

It wasn't really meant as a defense, since both of them do break up couples - just pointing out that while someone is picking on Marvel, it's really just comics as a whole due to the nature of the format and there's no point in only assigning blame to one company for it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sue and the kids aren't dead, according to my short search of the internet. I think we all need to start buying these comics to figure what the hell is going on.

Source: http://io9.gizmodo.com/secret-wars-is-finally-over-so-heres-why-the-fantastic-1752826282

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tsob posted:

It wasn't really meant as a defense, since both of them do break up couples - just pointing out that while someone is picking on Marvel, it's really just comics as a whole due to the nature of the format and there's no point in only assigning blame to one company for it.

New 52 complicates that though. They reset everyone's continuity, except Batman and Green Lantern.

Green Arrow and Black Canary have been together the last 6 months, but continuity wise now it's the first time.

Superman and Lois is more complicated with alternate universes and other stuff. The old pre-reboot Lois and Clark are together and have a son, and were brought into the new universe.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

I just never actually cared about any of the relationships in DC. I mean, I liked the DCAU Batman/Wonder Woman and Huntress/Question pairing. Don't know why I never cared about Clark and Lois.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I was going to write a long thing last night about Spiderman and comic book relationships and got sidetracked by the fact that reading a comic wiki is a trip into madness. It's so schizophrenic since each character is written by a dozen writers of extremely varying quality over the decades. I was reading Storm's bio and it reminded me how they made her a little kid for a while to be Gambit's sidekick, like :wtf:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bloodychill posted:

I was going to write a long thing last night about Spiderman and comic book relationships and got sidetracked by the fact that reading a comic wiki is a trip into madness. It's so schizophrenic since each character is written by a dozen writers of extremely varying quality over the decades. I was reading Storm's bio last night and just remembered how they made her a little kid for a while to be Gambit's sidekick, like :wtf:

Many wikis insist on putting events in chronological order too which can be a nightmare with someone like Cable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aphrodite posted:

Many wikis insist on putting events in chronological order too which can be a nightmare with someone like Cable.

Chronologically for the audience, the character, or the comic universe? Though in Cable's case that's really just a question of which order you want your nightmare in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The character.

So Cable's history, though he debuted as an adult, would start with Cyclops and Maddy Pryor.

Or you'll have things like where an old character like Spidey who has had high school events inserted in flashbacks and stuff over the years could end up with a few paragraphs before getting to the spider bite.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

New 52 complicates that though. They reset everyone's continuity, except Batman and Green Lantern.

Green Arrow and Black Canary have been together the last 6 months, but continuity wise now it's the first time.

Superman and Lois is more complicated with alternate universes and other stuff. The old pre-reboot Lois and Clark are together and have a son, and were brought into the new universe.

The new 52 is done now, they've moved on to Rebirth. The Flash who disappeared in the new 52 returns through the speed force with info that someone outside the multiverse had changed a bunch of things, mostly relationships. But there is still a thread of them. Green Arrow and Black Canary are shown not to be together but at night they find their thoughts drift to one another, but to them they have never been together.

In DC all the recent character relationship issues were an attack on everyone and I think it will end up bringing those relationships back together.

Phantom Star fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 9, 2016

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

tsob posted:

I just looked her up Captain America appearance, and if this...

is the costume you mean, then yea, I agree, it's hideous.

Reviving this, but no, even if that is hideous, it's this one:

Like straight out of the '90s playbook and an example of 'what not to design for woman hero.' Fuuuuuck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been thinking about Diamondback, and I think one of the main issues with him as a character is that his role in the story is as the number one villain behind everything, but he acts more like he's the crazy hired gun. It's like if Kingpin was Bullseye.

SaviourX posted:

It's not even worth getting mad about, but they killed off D-man not even 5 years ago. So of course he's back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SaviourX posted:

Reviving this, but no, even if that is hideous, it's this one:

Like straight out of the '90s playbook and an example of 'what not to design for woman hero.' Fuuuuuck.

That's Dagger's costume Misty, you just colored it black.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

That's Dagger's costume Misty, you just colored it black.

Pretty much.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lurdiak posted:

I've been thinking about Diamondback, and I think one of the main issues with him as a character is that his role in the story is as the number one villain behind everything, but he acts more like he's the crazy hired gun. It's like if Kingpin was Bullseye.

I don't think it's so much that he was presented as the Big Bad, it's that he was presented as the master criminal who is the real, secret, power. Then instead of being calculating or clever or cautious we get the personification of The Rogues from The Warriors turned up to 11.

A crazy, stereotypical Cartel style head guy can totally work. But not so much when you build up a methodical, more stereotypical Triad style guy instead. You've really got to dot all the "i"s and cross all the "t"s for switch like that to work.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Defenders is the cover story of this week's EW. Also, Weaver's villain is named Alexandra, which doesn't square with any recognizable comic book character; I'm still guessing she's a loosely adapted Ken Wind, which would fit with The Hand being the antagonists, but who knows.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9OKL5no-S0

hype!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That looks awful. Just awful. Like a TBS version of Batman Begins.

Why are these shows so afraid of being big and weird? The whole thing is science-fiction, embrace it.