Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Chewbot posted:

Hi! I have questions.

I wanted to jump back into CK2 recently, about 4 years after I bought it, obviously I have no idea what I'm doing again. But I'm having this creeping feeling that I remember why I stopped playing in the first place- what's the goal of this game? I'm not super excited about taking over every territory, so is it otherwise kind of a "putz around until you get bored" kind of thing?

Also, I'm finding the story-generating aspect less... believable? than I remember. Did lords really just go around non-stop fabricating claims on land and raising armies on a whim? I'm having trouble figuring out what my options are- how much can I do through diplomacy or options other than war? Everything's nested within menus within other menus. Maybe I need a good tutorial that includes modern changes?

Thank you.
Have an inbred on every throne in Western Europe

Land a dynasty member on every continent

build up your dynasty to power, then systematically kill them all

Pick an obscure, strange culture and try to spread it as far as you can

Make every coastal province in Ireland a merchant republic, then pick one to play as. (brb doing this again with the console; it's hilarious)

Try after the End and pick whatever place you live in (If American) or in basegame (If from Continental Europe and environs) and make it into the most glorious empire the world has ever seen.

ALL SHALL FEAR THE TITULAR EMPIRE OF ICELAND

Pick an interesting character or try and change history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Chewbot posted:

what's the goal of this game? I'm not super excited about taking over every territory, so is it otherwise kind of a "putz around until you get bored" kind of thing?

Spreading women's rights around the world! And also your genes.

quote:

Also, I'm finding the story-generating aspect less... believable? than I remember. Did lords really just go around non-stop fabricating claims on land and raising armies on a whim?

Yes, when not stopped by bigger lords. I mean, why wouldn't they? What else did they have to do?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Oh dear me posted:

Spreading women's rights around the world! And also your genes.

Yes, when not stopped by bigger lords. I mean, why wouldn't they? What else did they have to do?

I dunno, that's what I'm interested in. Being painfully ignorant of European history certainly hampers my understanding of a lot this.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Oh dear me posted:

Drink, kill foxes, drink.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Chewbot posted:

Hi! I have questions.

I wanted to jump back into CK2 recently, about 4 years after I bought it, obviously I have no idea what I'm doing again. But I'm having this creeping feeling that I remember why I stopped playing in the first place- what's the goal of this game? I'm not super excited about taking over every territory, so is it otherwise kind of a "putz around until you get bored" kind of thing?

Also, I'm finding the story-generating aspect less... believable? than I remember. Did lords really just go around non-stop fabricating claims on land and raising armies on a whim? I'm having trouble figuring out what my options are- how much can I do through diplomacy or options other than war? Everything's nested within menus within other menus. Maybe I need a good tutorial that includes modern changes?

Thank you.

It is my pleasure to point the author of one of the greatest narrative LPs ever to another of the greatest narrative LPs ever.

Pretty much all the mechanics in it are long obsolete, but this, this is what you can do with CK2.

(P.S. If you think things like fabricating claims are unrealistic for the time period, boy howdy are you in for a surprise when you see the stuff that's been added to the game by the last year or two's worth of patches and DLCs)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Finding claims and going to war is why (apocryphally depending who you ask) the pope decided if all these idiot lords want to fight poo poo they might as well kill the muslims congregating around the Holy Land.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Considering the level of intermarriage with medieval nobles during the time vanilla CK2 happens, it would be strange if you couldn't find at least some smidgen of a claim for any one speck or another.

especially if you go far enough, where folks were claiming ancestry with all kinds of semi-mythical figures

EDIT:

Wait whoaaah, are custom dynasties you add to the game with the customization DLC added to the list? Because I'm pretty sure the Barfields weren't in Boston in regular game starts

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 8, 2016

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is my pleasure to point the author of one of the greatest narrative LPs ever to another of the greatest narrative LPs ever.

Pretty much all the mechanics in it are long obsolete, but this, this is what you can do with CK2.

(P.S. If you think things like fabricating claims are unrealistic for the time period, boy howdy are you in for a surprise when you see the stuff that's been added to the game by the last year or two's worth of patches and DLCs)

Thank you very much, I will be reading this at the earliest convenience!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Chewbot posted:

Thank you very much, I will be reading this at the earliest convenience!

This might be the best LP I have ever seen.

quote:

"The gently caress do you think you are, talking to me that way?
You're done, kid. You're fired. You're replaced by my bey.
Glitterhoof taught me about how friendship equals magic
But friendship with lameasses isn't friendship - it's tragic."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Saw a weird thing in my current game that I'm not sure how it happened. I'm Crete from the 867 start and I noticed at one point while raiding around that Amalfi became a Greek Orthodox nomads. They didn't last very long, they got invaded soon after, but I'm still not sure how it happened in the first place.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

catlord posted:

Saw a weird thing in my current game that I'm not sure how it happened. I'm Crete from the 867 start and I noticed at one point while raiding around that Amalfi became a Greek Orthodox nomads. They didn't last very long, they got invaded soon after, but I'm still not sure how it happened in the first place.

Nomad agitation does weird things sometimes, I've seen the fylkir turn nomad before

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Paradox forums user Stars_and_Bars complains about the lack of racism in After the End.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
As always, link. I ain't going in there, even though I probably should be talking to the mod people direct instead of just hoping the read things here

also lol hasn't that come up like, several times? someone even suggested a "race war" cb or something?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/after-the-end-a-post-apocalyptic-america-mod.831384/page-303#post-22184471

I do listen to your complaints, I just don't know anything abouts events and poo poo so I can't fix it myself and most of the others are very intermittent on actually doing stuff.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Foolish me, I read onwards from that post.

quote:

I don't quite agree with either of these posts. To begin, I don't feel like racism really needs to be in the mod, as by the time of After the End it's pretty much irrelevant (not to mention that it would probably be hard to mod in). However, I don't believe that only positive stereotypes should be included; sure, most of them should, and I don't just want a grimdark game with everything bad in it, but I would like some relatively minor negative stereotypes to be implemented. For example, incest. [...]

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ofaloaf posted:

Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: For example, incest. [...]

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Skellybones posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/after-the-end-a-post-apocalyptic-america-mod.831384/page-303#post-22184471

I do listen to your complaints, I just don't know anything abouts events and poo poo so I can't fix it myself and most of the others are very intermittent on actually doing stuff.
Thanks! And don't worry dawg, I'm way more thankful for the good stuff I get outta the mod; I criticize it outta love because I like it. I'm not gonna be unreasonable about how people spend their free time on their hobby, hah.

edit: oh my sweet pagan gods the man does not get why the the minnesota area is pagan

I'm a goddamn European communist and I know about the minnesota vikings

Edit2:
Legit though, adding divine blood to Revelationists because they are just so dang dull that they need something to differentiate them isn't terrible I guess? Everyone else gets something, even the Occultists, even if it's bad (British invasion) or minor (the differing cults), Revelationists are like an inferior Baltic pagan at this point, with the only good point being that they're probably the easiest to reform.

Or just give them the "piety to defenders" poo poo that vanilla defensive pagans get I suppose, that would work. Making them into defensive pagans would be the other easy solution?

Also good show, the Celt dude

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 9, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Skellybones posted:

Paradox forums user Stars_and_Bars complains about the lack of racism in After the End.
Personally I find my need for post-apocalyptic bigotry sated by the existing Wrong Culture/Religion opinion maluses. Now that they bring it up, though, I would be OK with Southrons having some sort of "Status of Africans" law set, same as the existing Status of Women laws. Can't have Afro-Anglo councillors without the right laws, get events to grant a scandalous African councillor, that sort of thing. Something that would both enable bigotry and encourage the player to embrace diversity.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

darthbob88 posted:

Personally I find my need for post-apocalyptic bigotry sated by the existing Wrong Culture/Religion opinion maluses. Now that they bring it up, though, I would be OK with Southrons having some sort of "Status of Africans" law set, same as the existing Status of Women laws. Can't have Afro-Anglo councillors without the right laws, get events to grant a scandalous African councillor, that sort of thing. Something that would both enable bigotry and encourage the player to embrace diversity.

nahhhh

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ofaloaf posted:

Incest is vanilla CK2

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
In this context that means adding incest to promote stereotypes of modern groups, ie, incest for Southerners and Appalachians because they're so gosh darn backwards and inbred.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Just have Dueling Banjos as the music for the Holy Columbian Confederacy and call it a day.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
One of the funner things in AtE is seeing a black Holy Confederate Emperor.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Not only would this be a huge hassle, it would be a huge hassle which wouldn't work properly (phenotype is independent of culture in AtE) and would be dumb and boring.

I guess if you wanted to, you could do scandalous councillors, only as you say of wrong culture/religion, which would actually be a decent event, but ehhh.

Also, does after the end have colleges? Like, I see the traits "Student" and "graduate" but I haven't the foggiest what they're for.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just noticed that the male heir to the HRE in my game is matrilineally married to a one province Countess.
That's going to be an exciting succession.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Skellybones posted:

quote:

Racism is no big deal, not any more dangerous than any other form of bigotry which is included in this mod. I know that it won't be included because the devs, like virtually everyone else, are over-sensitive cravens. That sour taste in your mouth is the realization that history is much darker than disney and disney is itself dark.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

But after the end isn't history. And there's already the opinion penalty for someone being a foreigner.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Until there are lynch mobs and anti-miscegenation laws, it's political correctness gone mad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anyway, yesterday both my king and the enemy Kaiser died in the same battle, which ended up ending the war because the CB was no longer applicable. I imagine that everyone just decided to go home.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Anyway, yesterday both my king and the enemy Kaiser died in the same battle, which ended up ending the war because the CB was no longer applicable. I imagine that everyone just decided to go home.

"Oh thank god those assholes are dead. Okay see ya next fabricated claim guys"

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Write a poem about how they strode ahead of their armies and demanded a duel on the hill in the center of the field and how they fought for three days straight before they both collapsed out of exhaustion against each other and suffered simultaneous heart attacks and the troops saw it as an example of brotherhood and returned home to love their families once again.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The upside is that my new King is so young that I might plausibly fabricate enough claims and gather 8000 prestige to create a custom empire out of Burgundy (which de jure includes Franconia), Frisia, and Bohemia.

Bordergoria.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hail Egyptian Pope John the 19th, Dropper of the People's Elbow Upon Sicilian Anti-Popes and Haver of One Eye

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also, does after the end have colleges? Like, I see the traits "Student" and "graduate" but I haven't the foggiest what they're for.

I haven't looked at the code base in more than a year, but last time I checked it was all commented out. It's a decision+events to send your kids (or yourself if young enough) to college to pick up some stat boosts. So unless it's been uncommented it will never fire.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That's a shame; I thought it would be a nice thing to give evangelicals so they'd have some kinda pilgrimage/being sent to be a merc equivalent.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'd have to pull from github again to double check, but I don't remember anything specifically wrong with the code. It should be possible to simply uncomment the decision and then let it be used. decisions/university_decisions.txt.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I honestly can't remember much about it, but something wasn't right about it, so it was disabled, and then disappeared into the abyss of commented-out script.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
When recruiting a prisoner what does "opinion difference between [me] and [prisoner] at least -25" mean?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Probably the difference between your opinion of them and their opinion of you. Is this AtE or CK2? I don't believe I've heard of prisoner recruitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Probably the difference between your opinion of them and their opinion of you. Is this AtE or CK2? I don't believe I've heard of prisoner recruitment.

It's a relatively new feature - I think added in the Reaper's Due patch or maybe even the first post-release patch after it. It basically invites them to your court, only a lot of the usual restrictions don't apply (but they have to like you a certain amount to accept, which is hard when they hate you for being imprisoned).

• Locked thread