Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Some Guy TT posted:

I get the impression sometimes that Chief Dharma is intended as a public service announcement. CCTV is, in fact, pretty much everywhere in South Korea. Kind of unnerving how no one seems to think of this as a big deal, especially with all the usual propaganda about how North Korea is a police state for keeping people under surveillance all the time.
Gotta love the toilet cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The guy from yesterday actually had to defend his ladder from these guys. True stories of Ballard Street.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh cool, Stan hosts CZW shows.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Darkest Auer posted:

It's honestly really impressive how poo poo the art is. It obviously takes time to draw all those exploding fireballs (assuming they're not clip art) and hideously mutated bodies, but jam esallen apparently despises his job so much that he will actively go through the effort of making things look bad.
He absolutely loves this gig. He's just really not very good. I feel almost bad saying that, but his proportions are consistently off. I could overlook that if the stories were good, but his writing is bad also. Honestly I don't know how he got this job. MT is a pretty big deal in the syndicated comics world, I would think. It appears he was Jackelrod's assistant, which meant it just got passed to him.

F Minus

What a great idea!

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

You want her to reach into your coat pocket? Scandalous!

Apartment 3-G

"First, Professor, I want to thank you for breaking on through to the other side to meet with us here tonight."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"It'd be kind of spectacular if Terry Beatty used this as his way out of having Sarah be a wunderkind," he said, knowing that he was still stuck with the obnoxious demon child.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

SomeMathGuy posted:

"It'd be kind of spectacular if Terry Beatty used this as his way out of having Sarah be a wunderkind," he said, knowing that he was still stuck with the obnoxious demon child.

Sarah will lose her memory of who she or her family is, and then the old lady will kidnap her to brainwash her into being her sister/daughter whatever it was

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Also, as far as ancient thread history goes, what happened to Lost Side of Suburbia?

A very lengthy story ended with an extended break before another story began, but nobody started posting it again.

I can't answer the question about Zachary Nixon Johnson though because everything about it left my memory the second it stopped being posted. Hard to follow maybe? Weird art? Weird story? idr

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

If memory serves, ZNJ had questionable art and writing, but ultimately was only dropped because it stopped outright. Possibly because no one picked it up, or the one place it was being published dropped it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SomeMathGuy posted:

If memory serves, ZNJ had questionable art and writing, but ultimately was only dropped because it stopped outright. Possibly because no one picked it up, or the one place it was being published dropped it.
I forgot all about this comic, so I went to refresh my memory, and I can't find it on GoComics or ComicsKingdom, so I guess it was dropped.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wonder how many strips have been dedicated to KABOOM "MARK! ABBY! OH NO THE ISLAND! MAAAARKKKK AAAABBEEEEEEEEEEEEE" FABLAAAAAM compared to how many were dedicated to OH NO MARK WE'RE GOING DEEPER INTO THE CAVE OH NO AN UNDERWATER RIVER MARK HOLD YOUR BREATH LADY WHOSE NAME I CAN'T RECALL BUT WAS DRAWN LIKE A GHOUL WE HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE"

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Looks like Zachary Nixon Johnson has left comics behind for the exciting medium of animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0DS_E7s3cI

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mark Trail is basically a mix of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLSqySFnAUM&t=1314s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=petdsiZNKLo

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Angular Cyrus posted:

Looks like Zachary Nixon Johnson has left comics behind for the exciting medium of animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0DS_E7s3cI

I had completely forgotten that Zachary Nixon Johnson existed.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Shugojin posted:

Goddammit I knew you would return within days of me posting Ballard Street :argh:

Hey, I don't own any comics. I only started posting Ballard Street and Pooch Café because I liked them and I wanted other people to like them too. Seeing as how they're both being posted by other people now, I can rest easy with the satisfaction of a job well done.

Until I finish catching up on the thread and start posting these Psychedelicomix I've been collecting this whole time.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

I had completely forgotten that Zachary Nixon Johnson existed.

So had I. It was a better way to be.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Calaveron posted:

I wonder how many strips have been dedicated to KABOOM "MARK! ABBY! OH NO THE ISLAND! MAAAARKKKK AAAABBEEEEEEEEEEEEE" FABLAAAAAM compared to how many were dedicated to OH NO MARK WE'RE GOING DEEPER INTO THE CAVE OH NO AN UNDERWATER RIVER MARK HOLD YOUR BREATH LADY WHOSE NAME I CAN'T RECALL BUT WAS DRAWN LIKE A GHOUL WE HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE"
I feel like they've blocked out so many months for the storyline, and then set out to draw it and found they didn't have enough to fill that time without tons of repetitive stuff.

And then did it again for this one.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Zereth posted:

I feel like they've blocked out so many months for the storyline, and then set out to draw it and found they didn't have enough to fill that time without tons of repetitive stuff.

And then did it again for this one.

The worst part is if we're actually going through the four elements plotlines Jam Esallen had planned I'm pretty sure we've got a solid half a year of "air" to look forward to. And yet I will continue to post Mark Trail for vague reasons I haven't completely figured out yet. Bile fascination?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHdDxKy2QW0

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Julet Esqu posted:

Is it part of Ronan's established character that he don't talk English so good?

Nah, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The title alone makes the Zachary comic sound like a preppier version of Saved by the Bell.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Johnny Walker posted:

I forgot all about this comic, so I went to refresh my memory, and I can't find it on GoComics or ComicsKingdom, so I guess it was dropped.

It probably didn't help that this was the last thing posted on the GoComics ZNJ page. It was taken down on the same day it went up, along with the rest of the comics.

(For whatever reason, the font they chose ended up clipping off the top few rows of pixels on each line. This is the way that it was posted.)

edit: might as well throw some comics in this post

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Aardmania fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 8, 2016

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Didn't he sleep on the plane ride over? Also where is the obligatory 7 strips dedicated to him popping a mile long boner over her corset dress?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is born every minute.

Working Daze lacks value.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a feast for the eyes.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I remember this one. Calvin and Hobbes' decline into luddite preachiness was really hard to take.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It's not that Dinette Set is a bad comic. It's just that I hate it.

Cosima posted:

Didn't he sleep on the plane ride over? Also where is the obligatory 7 strips dedicated to him popping a mile long boner over her corset dress?

Don't worry. Everybody will see it when they boink on stageperform beautiful classical music together.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Today Petey has forgotten both that he has met beings from other planets before and that he's only supposed to act like Spider-Man when he is dressed like Spider-Man! What else may he have forgotten? Any number of things! The answer is limited only by your imagination!

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Aardmania posted:

It probably didn't help that this was the last thing posted on the GoComics ZNJ page. It was taken down on the same day it went up, along with the rest of the comics.

(For whatever reason, the font they chose ended up clipping off the top few rows of pixels on each line. This is the way that it was posted.)

...Oh my god I actually remember this. I don't actually remember anything about it but I remember there was once a time where I sort of understood what that weird postscript meant. This was not the revelation I was expecting when I asked someone to describe what Zachary Nixon Johnson was actually about. I now have memories flooding back to me of goons occasionally making comments to the effect of "does anyone have any idea what the gently caress is happening in this comic". I'm surprised any of you could place it from the name alone since that's just as irrelevant as anything else in that comic.

Kid Fenris posted:

I remember this one. Calvin and Hobbes' decline into luddite preachiness was really hard to take.

Remember last page when I mentioned how South Koreans are weirdly nonchalant about living in what would have been called a police state a generation ago? They're not the only ones.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

...In other cultural differences, yeah, a lot of the bad work culture in South Korea is mandated by social pressure rather than actual legal obligations. Which is weird, because a generation ago doing things on "Korean time" meant doing stuff really slow and lazy.

...And in more mundane cultural differences everyone hikes for fun in South Korea, mostly because there's mountains everywhere.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Some Guy TT posted:

Remember last page when I mentioned how South Koreans are weirdly nonchalant about living in what would have been called a police state a generation ago? They're not the only ones.

I remember when Calvin and Hobbes could make interesting points without stepping out of character or retreating into contrarian banality.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This looks like a very second-rate Archer.

Isn't this guy a musician? You'd think he was familiar with cues.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Oh, if only we hadn't made this journey... if only the car hadn't broken down... oh, if only we were amongst friends... Or sane persons"

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao thanks Jam for my weekly dose of 'woman breaks down uselessly thank god there's a man to keep a cool head and save everyone'.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
What everyone forgets about Calvin and Hobbes is that Watterson realized it was starting to suck and that's why he ended it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ghostlight posted:

lmao thanks Jam for my weekly dose of 'woman breaks down uselessly thank god there's a man to keep a cool head and save everyone'.

I think you mean "winking throwbacks to retro sexism".

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 28, 1994)

These catalogs were extremely 90s.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Comic Strip Megathread XVI: Winking Throwbacks to Retro Sexism

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Is that supposed to be a joke that he's still a flake? Because it just makes him look like he really cares about doing things right.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kid Fenris posted:

I remember when Calvin and Hobbes could make interesting points without stepping out of character or retreating into contrarian banality.

:nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

• Locked thread