Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

loquacius posted:

There was a spirited debate in the politoons thread earlier today about why the popular vote is what really matters

Sometimes I think to myself, "GlitchThief, why is it that the concept of honestly analyzing material conditions to reach accurate conclusions and generate sound strategies for success so drat unpopular in the United States?" Then I see this and well... I guess it doesn't tell me why but it sure shows how deep the stupid runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Aurubin posted:

A gradual purge will lead to a more effective genocide in the end. Savvy voters know that you can't crush your enemies all at once.

Barrett: The planet is dyin', Hillary!! @#$@!

Hillary: Well we can't just wave a magical wand over it and shut off all the Mako Reactors. All the poors in the midgar slums won't be able to pay for premium electricity, duh. Sector 7 is my biggest donor by the way. What next, you think someone will cast Holy and immediately cure the lifestream like some pie in the sky dream? What we have to do is [insert paragraphs of wonk while meteor blocks out the sun]

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

nikitakhrushchev posted:

I heard from someone who knows him IRL that he basically threw down his lanyard and was fired/quit

Poor Zach :( I hope he finds his way to DSA or Working Families or something

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Serf posted:

I've been telling my coworkers that capitalism is the enemy for years now

remember kids, you too can purge your local Democratic party with fire and steel

Good man. I have a coworker who is somewhat sympathetic, but every now and then she goes on about "good capitalism" vs "bad capitalism" and I just... I dunno. I think Americans want to die.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

Poor Zach :( I hope he finds his way to DSA or Working Families or something
was he a neoliberal or just really bigly for hillary

the latter are salvageable, the former you can expect at the Cato Institute

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

I've been telling my coworkers that capitalism is the enemy for years now

remember kids, you too can purge your local Democratic party with fire and steel

my local democratic party is 12 retirees meeting at the public library

they wont know the red storm coming

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

loquacius posted:

Also I asked this before but I don't think anyone noticed, do we know what happened to Zach the DNC staffer

Is Zach okay

I'm worried about Zach

Does Zach need a place to hide out for a few days

Did Pablo eat butt?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
AVALANCHE killed a fuckload of people mang

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Or just make a huge focused effort to call corporations moochers and tax frauds and their tax breaks "free stuff" and comparing how much money we give away to rear end-plowing CEOs to how much we spend per person on welfare.

I attended an elite liberal college (on the government's nickel naturally) and my experience in economics and policy classes were incredibly distressing when it came to class awareness. Presumably smart kids said they would be cool with stricter spending controls on government assistance to the poor, to protect them from themselves. They believed in the existence of welfare queens wholeheartedly. I was the only student who had even tangential experience with TANF/Food Stamps. And this was on a supposedly 'woke' campus that held protests over the MIcheal Brown decision and hates Thanksgiving (because they are also not good at history). People have this prevailing narrative of poor people as lesser and needing strict oversight to guard them against moral failings. I doubt all the welfare fraud in America adds up to a hundredth of the corporate tax fraud and avoidance though. Likely not even a hundredth of a hundredth. Thats a narrative we desperately need to take back. Robber Baron needs to come back into style to counter the Job Creator myth, and we need more national heroes like Woodie Guthrie to make Americans hate the rich again.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

was he a neoliberal or just really bigly for hillary

the latter are salvageable, the former you can expect at the Cato Institute

Zach was the guy who bitched out Donna Brazile right after the election for blowing it, I don't think he was either

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

paranoid randroid posted:

AVALANCHE killed a fuckload of people mang

Accelerationism is good and cool :q:

Now stop acting like a @#$@! fool, and sit down and shut up!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lastgirl posted:

Barrett: The planet is dyin', Hillary!! @#$@!

Hillary: Well we can't just wave a magical wand over it and shut off all the Mako Reactors. All the poors in the midgar slums won't be able to pay for premium electricity, duh. Sector 7 is my biggest donor by the way. What next, you think someone will cast Holy and immediately cure the lifestream like some pie in the sky dream? What we have to do is [insert paragraphs of wonk while meteor blocks out the sun]

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
sit down and drink your $#%@# tea

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWsvkW6rKkQ

Serf
May 5, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Good man. I have a coworker who is somewhat sympathetic, but every now and then she goes on about "good capitalism" vs "bad capitalism" and I just... I dunno. I think Americans want to die.

ask her to define "good capitalism" and deconstruct it because it is probably predicated upon something stupid like "good capitalists will look out for the rights of the poor"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Not a Step posted:

Robber Baron needs to come back into style to counter the Job Creator myth, and we need more national heroes like Woodie Guthrie to make Americans hate the rich again.

I agree, but for some reason calling a spade a spade doesn't fly in America.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

paranoid randroid posted:

sit down and drink your $#%@# tea

[tries to collect self while teacup rattles on the plate as hot tea splashes allover my lap]

b-b-but th.. Trump...

the midterms...the bench is so shallow... Booker 2020...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

ask her to define "good capitalism" and deconstruct it because it is probably predicated upon something stupid like "good capitalists will look out for the rights of the poor"

good capitalism is the original trilogy and bad cap is the prequels duh

oh poo poo im on to something, meet me in the SW thread serf

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Serf posted:

You got it in one. She, like most, believes in the idea that capitalism can operate on a conscience.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bernie friend got nominated by a black vet! He was also a Hillary delegate lmao

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

good capitalism is the original trilogy and bad cap is the prequels duh

oh poo poo im on to something, meet me in the SW thread serf

this analogy is saying that all Star Wars is bad, actually

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I agree, but for some reason calling a spade a spade doesn't fly in America.
it does, just in the opposite direction

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

Bernie friend got nominated by a black vet! He was also a Hillary delegate lmao

are you in fuckin orlando yet

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

oh poo poo foiled again!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh poo poo there are multiple Bernie brother/sister noms

Serf
May 5, 2011

You got it in one. She, like most, believes in the idea that capitalism can operate on a conscience.

ask her why she thinks that, and to point out where that is working. be sure to remind her that humans are predisposed to being dicks

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

are you in fuckin orlando yet

Brevard county

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tell her to seriously read There Is No Such Thing As Ethical Consumption In Capitalism

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Venom Snake posted:

Brevard county

eww

well ur literally in the poo poo

[nam flashbacks]

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Long before Goodhart, an economist named Michal Kalecki had already worked this out. Back in 1943, he argued that once you target and sustain full employment over time, it basically becomes costless for labor to move from job to job. Wages in such a world will have to continually rise to hold onto labor, and the only way business can accommodate that is to push up prices. This mechanism, cost-push inflation, where wages and prices chase each other up, emerged in the 1970s and coincided with the end of the Bretton Woods regime and the subsequent oil shocks to produce high inflation in the rich countries of the West in the 1970s. In short, the system undermined itself, as both Goodhart and Kalecki predicted. As countries tried harder and harder to target full employment, the more inflation shot up while profits fell. The 1970s became a kind of “debtor’s paradise.” As inflation rose, debts fell in real terms, and labor’s share of national income rose to an all-time high, while corporate profits remained low and were pummeled by inflation. Unions were powerful and inequality plummeted.

But if it was a great time to be a debtor, it was a lousy time to be a creditor. Inflation acts as a tax on the returns on investment and lending. Unsurprisingly in response, employers and creditors mobilized and funded a market-friendly revolution where the goal of full employment was jettisoned for a new target—price stability, aka inflation—to restore the value of debt and discipline labor through unemployment. And it worked. The new order was called neoliberalism.

Over the next thirty years the world was transformed from a debtor’s paradise into a creditor’s paradise where capital’s share of national income rose to an all-time high as labor’s share fell as wages stagnated. Productivity rose, but the returns all went to capital. Unions were crushed while labor’s ability to push up wages collapsed due to the twin shocks of restrictive legislation and the globalization of production. Parliaments in turn were reduced to tweet-generating talking shops as central banks and policy technocrats wrested control of the economy away from those elected to govern.

But Goodhart’s law never went away. Just as targeting full employment undermined itself, so did making inflation the policy target.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

dont worry, the bernie cloning project has reached its final stages

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

Brevard county

email me already scrub im only 1 county over

mike.clarke7788@gmail.com

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
More than a 100 people here :getin:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ohhhh nooooooo someone got hitler dna in all my bernie cloens theyre ruined!!!!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Bernie sister just got a standing ovation she gunna be chairman

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

email me already scrub im only 1 county over

mike.clarke7788@gmail.com

I will when I get home!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Venom Snake posted:

The Bernie sister just got a standing ovation she gunna be chairman

idk what this really means but it sounds good

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Serf posted:

Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Josh Mandel, the Ohio Secretary of State who hates when people vote, just announced he's running against Sherrod Brown for Senate, so there's a race to make sure the Democrats win.

Josh Mandel ran a bunch of commercials here when running for State Treasurer that called his opponent a secret Muslim back like a decade ago. He is a real swell guy.

• Locked thread