Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Darn, I wanted to make an unarmed demonspawn. I even got monstrous on my first try! But then I found a +12 elec dagger on D4 and my plan is ruined. Thanks Crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There's a Trove that wants a +6 Demon Blade.

I just got to Depths:5. All I have found so far is a +2 Demon Blade and 3 scrolls of Enchant Weapon. I'm guessing I probably read the first one to ID it so really I've found 4 total, but this just seems like the game is trolling me at this point.

Also, assuming I find another one, do I open the trove? I kinda wanted to enchant up an endgame weapon, but the lure of the RNG might prove to be too great.

edit: Yay, found it in a shop on Depths:5. Bit overpriced, but I guess I'm a captive market.

odiv fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 7, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

Darn, I wanted to make an unarmed demonspawn. I even got monstrous on my first try! But then I found a +12 elec dagger on D4 and my plan is ruined. Thanks Crawl.

Use the dagger while training UC, swap over when the dagger isn't doing it anymore. You can even still drop points into Short Blades early on to reduce the attack delay without losing that much experience in the long run.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I finally won and now I can't even get to the lair anymore lol. Jesus this game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I found two rings of slaying for a total of +9 on d3 or 4 and then promptly died of course.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What's a good melee oriented class that has a pretty varied toolset so I'm not just bumping into monsters until I win the game? I love playing wizards for all the tactical spells you get in the starting book, but I feel like I need to branch out a bit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Every single game I've played with the slime pits in it always had an altar outside the entrance.

Slime always has an entrance altar up until you actually want to worship Jiyva. Then it never does.

tweet my meat posted:

What's a good melee oriented class that has a pretty varied toolset so I'm not just bumping into monsters until I win the game? I love playing wizards for all the tactical spells you get in the starting book, but I feel like I need to branch out a bit.

Depends on what you mean by varied tools. Minotaurs have the best apts for flexibility in pure weapon combat and can use evocations as well. If you want to augment your melee combat with spells then there are tons of races that work for that. Hill orcs, draconians, gargoyles, and vinestalkers can hybridize pretty easily. If you want to go even more magic heavy then high elves are a good pick.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

You could do a hybrid build with necromancer, transmuter, or enchanter.

I think most people play enchanters as stealthy stabbers, but I like confusing things and then wailing on them with a big axe.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

tweet my meat posted:

Maybe try a fighter/gladiator who worships Ash? That'll let you hybridize really easy and adapt to whatever you find. My last win was a minotaur fighter of ash who was throwing out spellforged servitors and orbs of destruction, but also had rather good evos. A human or something would be even more flexible/varied.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Malmutate is bad and dumb

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

mormonpartyboat posted:

Malmutate is bad and dumb

Point to me on the doll where the Neqoxec touched you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

*points at brain*

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
*points at horns*

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Dee Ehm posted:

Point to me on the doll where the Neqoxec touched you.

everywhere :(

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
drat. Just lost my DsCK two runes in. Xom took away all 15 of my good mutations and replaced them with bad mutations over the course of like 2 floors, and then teleported me into the middle of a bunch of bad things in a wizard's lab. To be fair, I was already low on health and decided to heal up in the lab instead of just leaving... It's really my own fault. Xom was very gracious and generous the whole time and I'm a bad person who deserved this.

I was actually starting to believe I was going to complete my first CK run that didn't involve abandoning Xom. Oh well.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

tweet my meat posted:

Here are a few stupid suggestions.
Naga Venom Mage- pick up the first polearm or sling you find so you have something to handle undead and more importantly something you can TAB confused monsters with without stupidly following them every step.
Hill Orc Fire/Earth Elementalist. Grab an axe and some armour ASAP, and get your magic back online after Vehumet. Aim for level four to five spells- you're probably gonna use a mid class dragon armor or randart scale/chain mail. Revel in point blank LRD. Cast sticky flame without panicking about the Hydra in your face! Note: Your ability to face tank means bolt of magma isn't all that bad, and being level five will be a bit easier to sustain than iron shot or bolt of fire.
A fighter type, any, really, with great evo apts.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I got abyssed by a distortion weapon like an idiot. I will almost certainly lose this super promising GrMo who found a +6 flail of protection from a unique. Definitely should not have dived to 3. RIP

e: Gargoyles are great, but I'm not sure Hepliaklqana was a good god choice. The extra 10% health loss hurts a lot from -20% to start.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 8, 2016

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I went with a Fire Elementalist Hill Orc that I've been enjoying, I guess that would be shortened to HoFe right? I was gonna look through all the gods and stuff, but I found an altar of Nemelex Xobah and holy poo poo this is the coolest thing. I'm just Yu Gi Oh'ing my way through the whole dungeon. Why does anyone ever pick a different god?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
In my experience he's been hugely nerfed. Used to give you everything he does now plus a bunch of potion of experience and beneficial mutation equivalents and an extra 4 portals over the course of the game.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I always wanted to like Nem, but I can never make it work for me. To random or to much inventory management.

Oh well, at least we had a fun evoker god for a minute there.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

tweet my meat posted:

I went with a Fire Elementalist Hill Orc that I've been enjoying, I guess that would be shortened to HoFe right? I was gonna look through all the gods and stuff, but I found an altar of Nemelex Xobah and holy poo poo this is the coolest thing. I'm just Yu Gi Oh'ing my way through the whole dungeon. Why does anyone ever pick a different god?

because "You reveal the great annihilating truth to your foes!" is probably the best ability text in the entire game

(also HOFE because Hill Orc and Fire Elementalist are two words)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You know.... Gozag followers should buy things straight from him rather than requesting shops. He's always seemed awkward to me, and I think that's what I don't like about him. It could be cool if he were a constantly shuffling merchant in the sky who can bless you with things at a moment's notice if you've got the coin.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You know.... Gozag followers should buy things straight from him rather than requesting shops. He's always seemed awkward to me, and I think that's what I don't like about him. It could be cool if he were a constantly shuffling merchant in the sky who can bless you with things at a moment's notice if you've got the coin.

Man, that's kinda cool. But I suppose the shop creation is a kind of round about way of doing that? Now I have to do another Mummy Gozag run, thanks.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The shop creation is probably there for gameplay balance reasons. I'm not sure what exactly I don't like about it except that creating buildings full of merchandise is a weird thing for a god to do.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
On a HOGl, dungeon lvl 4
code:
y - the +14 plutonium sword
Welp, guess I'm dropping training axes in a hurry.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
sometimes you should just go back up the stairs

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Man, that's kinda cool. But I suppose the shop creation is a kind of round about way of doing that? Now I have to do another Mummy Gozag run, thanks.

Can I ask why Mummy? Scumming abyss and Pan can't be that much more valuable?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chakan posted:

Can I ask why Mummy? Scumming abyss and Pan can't be that much more valuable?

Oh, unsure about Abyss/Pan aspect of your question but I just like that you don't have to worry about food and because chunks turn into sweet cash that's all profit baby. And you can use potion petition as a way to get stuff that mummies are normally excluded from.

But I guess it's cool being immune to torment, something that's super brutal and very prevalent in the late/post-game.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Torment can gently caress off. My latest winner was practically invincible but almost died to a tormentor steps away from the exit. I tried to abyss him 5 or 6 times and finally just corrupted the whole floor to get away from him.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If you leave Hepliaklqana the Forgotten do you get your 10% hp back?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Prokosch posted:

If you leave Hepliaklqana the Forgotten do you get your 10% hp back?

Eventually after a while of XP being eaten as its earned.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I started a DsTm and got claws, but I had to spend a lot of time resting due to a stupid amount of worms and adders and this was the result:

I am on D2. I appreciate that people dawdle sometimes, but 4 killer bees on D2?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Well, I've tried a pretty good chunk of the clasees and races now, and I think wizard is gonna be my go-to class to try and get my first win. I did enjoy the Naga venom mage, being that slow was a pretty cool challenge, but I'd rather go with something a little more well rounded on my first attempt.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
High Elf or Human are the most well-rounded Wizard types. Demigod if you want to nix god abilities.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

High Elf or Human are the most well-rounded Wizard types. Demigod if you want to nix god abilities.

You could also go DEWz and just learn ALL the spells with that sweet, sweet +3 Spellcasting apt.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The shop creation is probably there for gameplay balance reasons.

Nope. If I had to give a reason for it, it'd go something like:

(A) Gozag is the god of gold.
(B) You use gold to buy items from shops.
(C) So, let Gozag make shops for you to buy items from.

It's true that it's slightly indirect, but it's a lot simpler than creating a whole new item purchase UI.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Nope. If I had to give a reason for it, it'd go something like:

(A) Gozag is the god of gold.
(B) You use gold to buy items from shops.
(C) So, let Gozag make shops for you to buy items from.

It's true that it's slightly indirect, but it's a lot simpler than creating a whole new item purchase UI.

What's wrong with just reducing the piety cost and using the same call that opens a shop window each time you use the ability rather than making a physical shop? Like, crawl UIs aren't exactly difficult to create, and this one is already created.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Why would a God want to sell you poo poo directly? The real money is in franchising.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
A more expensive one-and-done shop would be a cool mechanic. Maybe like, teleports you to a 1-tile-1-shop bazaar for 5 turns so it's an escape and a shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
Gozag is my brainchild, and so maybe I should chime in. PleasingFungus is right (of course!).

When I came up with Gozzy, I had two motivations: one was to provide a subgame (=god) where gold is actually meaningful. For most Crawl games, it isn't. By the way, Zin's tithe and the mercenary card were previous attempts to do so. The other motivation came from flavour: money is such a dominating motivation in real life, that it should be possible to do mimic that in the game. I'm not sure, but I hope an observant player will notice: gold distraction, the potion petition (mechanically the weakest element, it's supposed to show "gold can buy anything, anytime), shops (with enough gold, you can shape the economy) and bribe (you always aim to bribe as high as possible, which is exactly what happens in Crawl) are real life imitations.

I also like the fact that a Gozag follower can litter some spot with shops, showing off material wealth.

• Locked thread