Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

as a Mets fan I'm feeling really Great about the Nats losing every sweepstakes so far and overpaying hilariously for Eaton. A few days ago I was prepared to face a Sale/Scherzer/Strasburg/Roark superteam but not anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Thank you for describing Canada
There is nothing resembling a real mountain within 1000 miles of Toronto

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Dexo posted:

Eaton wasn't bad last year. He's just an idiotic locker room cancer right there with Sale.

Where is this coming from, like, at all? I don't even remember the Drake LaRoche comment someone mentioned earlier. He was a super cool guy and everyone loved him as far as I'm aware. He's also a really good player that Nats fans should/will like, but yeah this was a great deal for the Sox.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

There is nothing resembling a real mountain within 1000 miles of Toronto

Excuse me, but the Jays are CANADA's team.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Holy poo poo is that an absolutely retarded trade. Nats are in full panic mode.

So the White Sox now have the best farm in the game, right? Moncada and Giolito :stare:

Why not offer that package for Quintana instead of Adam "loving" Eaton?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Your Taint posted:

Why not offer that package for Quintana instead of Adam "loving" Eaton?

They're idiots

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

angrygodofjebus posted:

Where is this coming from, like, at all? I don't even remember the Drake LaRoche comment someone mentioned earlier. He was a super cool guy and everyone loved him as far as I'm aware. He's also a really good player that Nats fans should/will like, but yeah this was a great deal for the Sox.

Well you see the Chicago media wrote articles and asked for comments from players and he responded, therefore he is a clubhouse cancer.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Nats have an excellent rotation already and didn't have a legitimate center fielder.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ego symphonic posted:

Nats have an excellent rotation already and didn't have a legitimate center fielder.

But they were going to go in on Sale.

Yes, I know, Sale is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best pitcher in the game (Kershaw #1 obvs) and Quintana isn't at that level but he's still a very good pitcher who would have helped that rotation out. If you're going to give up that price, you better get more than friggin Adam Eaton.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fare thee well, jorge, who was involved in one of my favorite Cubs moments in the past two years
http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=72546383

Soler might be a crappy outfielder, but dude has a howitzer.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Your Taint posted:

But they were going to go in on Sale.

Yes, I know, Sale is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best pitcher in the game (Kershaw #1 obvs) and Quintana isn't at that level but he's still a very good pitcher who would have helped that rotation out. If you're going to give up that price, you better get more than friggin Adam Eaton.

Oh for sure it's an overpay. But to suggest that those same prospects would have been better spent on Quintana is misguided imo, since the team didn't neeeeeed pitching but probably just wanted to take a shot at the super rotation with Sale.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

Chris "Once Threw A No-Hitter, No Really" Heston to the Mariners.

A Hestono-no, thank you very much.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

A Hestono-no, thank you very much.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

angrygodofjebus posted:

The Diamondbacks created the Eaton is a Cancer talk, which means it's completely full of poo poo and he's probably a great guy that buys the clubhouse attendants gifts.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Adam Eaton's contract is 48 million over 5 years with 2 team options at the end and he's been worth 4/5 WAR a year over the last 3 years. He's not a bad player.

E: Of course, they could have just signed Dexter Fowler and kept at least one of their future aces.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 8, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

The Diamondbacks created the Eaton is a Cancer talk, which means it's completely full of poo poo and he's probably a great guy that buys the clubhouse attendants gifts.

he is a loose cannon without the guiding presence of a mature leader such as drake laroche

e: the white sox had a low-key completely insane year of baseball, imagine what would be going on if they didn't play in a city that had another team break the longest championship drought in professional sports

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 8, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
E: ^^^ in lieu of an actual child to inspire him, he'll just have to settle for Harper

He's no Ty Blach

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tadashi posted:

E: Of course, they could have just signed Dexter Fowler and kept at least one of their future aces.

Gotta save that money for Harper's 400/10 contract.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I need more Baseball. Book recommendations anyone?

I just finished "The Only Rule is it Has to Work".
I read "Money Ball" a few years ago.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ScottyJSno posted:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Needs to be on this page.

Matt Holliday rules now.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ScottyJSno posted:

You Gotta Have Wa
Veck as in Wreck

If you want a longer read that will tell you exactly how awful MLB owners are, read Lords of the Realm.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

re: Eaton Trade

https://twitter.com/barrysvrluga/status/806635449737318400

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ScottyJSno posted:

Ball Four is a must-read.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

tadashi posted:

You Gotta Have Wa
Veck as in Wreck

If you want a longer read that will tell you exactly how awful MLB owners are, read Lords of the Realm.

Another Veeck bio-- just titled "Bill Veeck", is quite good too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

fare thee well, jorge, who was involved in one of my favorite Cubs moments in the past two years
http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=72546383

Soler might be a crappy outfielder, but dude has a howitzer.

He also slugs monster dongs. :allears:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

He's gonna need to at Kauffman I have been assured again and again by the Royals while Steve Balboni holds the franchise home run record at 36.

Now I've made myself mad again. How the gently caress do you not break 40 at any point during the steroid era?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh that's right, you do it by not even attempting to compete and figuring out the draft by making your highest priority after the first round "will this guy sign for 1000 bucks?"

I'd obviously never give it back but goddamn David Glass winning a world series is a loving travesty.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Favoring white people will fit right in in DC

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

An organization in Washington DC disproportionately filled with rich white dudes? Well I never...

e:f,b

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

ScottyJSno posted:

I've made this recommendation on here before: Jim Palmer's book about him and Earl Weaver. Funniest book I've ever read.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ScottyJSno posted:

Fiction: The Art of Fielding
Nonfiction, history: A Well-Paid Slave
Nonfiction, opinion: Are We Winning Yet?

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
John Feinstein's book about Mike Mussina and Tom Glavine is really good. Also Seasons in Hell about the 1974 Rangers is pretty great. Eight Men Out is a classic.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
The Willie Mays biography that came out a few years back is also very well done.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ego symphonic posted:

They still don't

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

They still don't

Better than McCutchen defensively :razz:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

ScottyJSno posted:

It's a very different sort of baseball novel, but: The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop., which is in turns hilarious, heartbreaking, and a total mindfuck.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ego symphonic posted:

Better than McCutchen defensively :razz:

Everybody keeps saying this as though it doesn't already apply to like 98% of existing CFs

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/806700106074431489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Nice try Heyman, but it's too early for claims like that.

We haven't even speculated about MYSTERY TEAM yet.

• Locked thread