Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I like to interpret his posts the same way he seems to "interpret" media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

Lol, Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is a bad book with silly politics. You might as well get upset over someone calling A Kingdom Besieged: Book One of the Chaoswar Saga poo poo.

Back on topic, I'd like to name Guy Gavriel Kay's novels except for maybe Last Light of the Sun as terrible. The sad thing is that they shouldn't be. Kay is a rare genre writer who can really tell stories about adults and their concerns. He can bring distant worlds and cultures to life, and he always has some interesting insight to offer, and his humanist ideals really come through.

The problem is that he can't write. His prose is bad, he's excruciatingly unsubtle, and recycles the same narrative, thematic, and character beats from book to book. And that makes them almost more terrible than just regular bad novels, because it's so tragic to see the good book struggling to escape its shell.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Dec 7, 2016

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Alaois posted:

You seem like a fun person.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lol, Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is a bad book with silly politics. You might as well get upset over someone calling A Kingdom Besieged: Book One of the Chaoswar Saga poo poo.

Back on topic, I'd like to name Guy Gavriel Kay's novels except for maybe Last Light of the Sun as terrible. The sad thing is that they shouldn't be. Kay is a rare genre writer who can really tell stories about adults and their concerns. He can bring distant worlds and cultures to life, and he always has some interesting insight to offer, and his humanist ideals really come through.

The problem is that he can't write. His prose is bad, he's excruciatingly unsubtle, and recycles the same narrative, thematic, and character beats from book to book. And that makes them almost more terrible than just regular bad novels, because it's so tragic to see the good book struggling to escape its shell.

Having never read the book, I'm sure you're 100% correct, and it could never compare to the thematic and artistic masterpiece Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You seem like a fun person.

I take it you haven't read Lamps posts before, he is like a blander mechagodzilla or whatever he is called.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I take it you haven't read Lamps posts before, he is like a blander mechagodzilla or whatever he is called.

Except he has a massive stick up his rear end about what he considers to be "proper criticism", while his criticism is the most shallow, banal poo poo in the world.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

Except he has a massive stick up his rear end about what he considers to be "proper criticism", while his criticism is the most shallow, banal poo poo in the world.

Lol I'm sorry for implying that the Chaoswar Saga was poo poo. I never read it, I just thought the title was hilarious. I didn't know it was so close to your heart.

Or was it Kay?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lol I'm sorry for implying that the Chaoswar Saga was poo poo. I never read it, I just thought the title was hilarious. I didn't know it was so close to your heart.

Or was it Kay?

I'm tired of you showing up in every thread about media and making it actively less enjoyable to read with your smug head-up-your-own-rear end myopic bullshit, especially since you can't seem to form any kind of counter to ANY argument other than "lol you must like this thing cuz i made you mad"

CSI co-creator Anthony Zuiker's Level 26: Dark Origins is amazingly awful, but don't take my word for it, watch the trailer to see for yourself! And that's not the only video, cause this is a diginovel.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Jesus Christ, settle down Alaois.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I can't settle down! Squeegle has invaded my nightmares and only Steve Dark can save me!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He's not wrong, but most people just sort of accept that about Lamps and move on.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Alaois posted:

I can't settle down! Squeegle has invaded my nightmares and only Steve Dark can save me!

He's busy, but I can have Tom Clancy's Net Force there in twenty minutes

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Life is too short for grudges over posting

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Xarbala posted:

He's not wrong, but most people just sort of accept that about Lamps and move on.

Shhhh, I lurk PYF for the unexpected meltdowns over trivial poo poo. Don't ruin this for me.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:yikes:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alaois posted:

CSI co-creator Anthony Zuiker's Level 26: Dark Origins is amazingly awful, but don't take my word for it, watch the trailer to see for yourself! And that's not the only video, cause this is a diginovel.

I Don't Even Own a Television did an episode on it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

awaiting someone to just quote pages off the Western Canon to show how the books they read are better than the one you read

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

VanSandman posted:

Shhhh, I lurk PYF for the unexpected meltdowns over trivial poo poo. Don't ruin this for me.

Nice meltdown

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Alaois posted:

With hyperlinks in the text, no less. I remember flipping through it at the library. It was kinda like reading a mid-90s point and click adventure game with Quicktime video cutscenes.

There was also that piece of trash J.J. Abrams co-wrote where the REAL story was marginalia written by two different people in a library book. Gimmicky garbage.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

queserasera posted:

With hyperlinks in the text, no less. I remember flipping through it at the library. It was kinda like reading a mid-90s point and click adventure game with Quicktime video cutscenes.

There was also that piece of trash J.J. Abrams co-wrote where the REAL story was marginalia written by two different people in a library book. Gimmicky garbage.

Hey now, Abrams just thought of the idea, taking no inspiration from Pale Fire, House of Leaves, or any other book that tells the story through addenda. The other guy did all the actual writing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

queserasera posted:

yeah like therewolf said, he only contributed ideas. the story written in the margins of the book detailing the two nerds going through some amazing mystery/conspiracy is interesting enough (though probably better without the romance), but the prose of the book itself if i recall was really dire and unfun

granted it was a fun way of experimenting with storytelling but i wasn't super impressed

at the very least he didn't go full Mark z danielewski and just write unreadable gimmicks after the success of HoL

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

He's busy, but I can have Tom Clancy's Net Force there in twenty minutes

I kind of enjoyed the early ones in that series. :blush:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_White_Crane posted:

I kind of enjoyed the early ones in that series. :blush:

Ha ha and I really enjoyed your shrimp experience, it's the one Comedy Goldmine I go back to again and again.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Please, this is PYF terrible book

Keep your PYF grudges in the fanart thread where they belong

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
We need a PYF PYF Grudges thread.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Plorkyeran posted:

We need a PYF PYF Grudges thread.

Pick one:

Quotes thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412
Anyone remember that thread where.. Lost SA stuff thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257
Greatest sagas of the SA forums: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826

Probably the last one works best, but eh, it's not like any of them are really on point 100% of the time

There's also
Internet Necromancy -- help others find long lost internet junk http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3005662

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The military history thread has recently been talking about A World Lit Only By Fire, which seems to be a suitable candidate for this thread.

Pistol_Pete posted:

quote:

Typically, the rest—nearly 60 million Europeans—were known as Hans, Jacques, Sal, Carlos, Will, or Will’s wife, Will’s son, or Will’s daughter. If that was inadequate or confusing, a nickname would do. Because most peasants lived and died without leaving their birthplace, there was seldom need for any tag beyond One-Eye, or Roussie (Redhead), or Bionda (Blondie), or the like.

Their villages were frequently innominate for the same reason. If war took a man even a short distance from a nameless hamlet, the chances of his returning to it were slight; he could not identify it, and finding his way back alone was virtually impossible. Each hamlet was inbred, isolated, unaware of the world beyond the most familiar local landmark: a creek, or mill, or tall tree scarred by lightning...

In the medieval mind there was also no awareness of time, which is even more difficult to grasp. Inhabitants of the twentieth century are instinctively aware of past, present, and future. At any given moment most can quickly identify where they are on this temporal scale—the year, usually the date or day of the week, and frequently, by glancing at their wrists, the time of day. Medieval men were rarely aware of which century they were living in. There was no reason they should have been. There are great differences between everyday life in 1791 and 1991, but there were very few between 791 and 991. Life then revolved around the passing of the seasons and such cyclical events as religious holidays, harvest time, and local fetes. In all Christendom there was no such thing as a watch, a clock, or, apart from a copy of the Easter tables in the nearest church or monastery, anything resembling a calendar. * Generations succeeded one another in a meaningless, timeless blur...

I could go on but the whole book is like this. I love the image of the peasant venturing a few fields too far from home, becoming hopelessly lost and wandering the country forever.

Mr Enderby posted:

btw, A World Lit Only by Fire also claims that peasants didn't wear any clothes in the summer.

quote:

THE DARK AGES were stark in every dimension. Famines and plague, culminating in the Black Death and its recurring pandemics, repeatedly thinned the population. Rickets afflicted the survivors. Extraordinary climatic changes brought storms and floods which turned into major disasters because the empire’s drainage system, like most of the imperial infrastructure, was no longer functioning. It says much about the Middle Ages that in the year 1500, after a thousand years of neglect, the roads built by the Romans were still the best on the continent. Most others were in such a state of disrepair that they were unusable; so were all European harbors until the eighth century, when commerce again began to stir. Among the lost arts was bricklaying; in all of Germany, England, Holland, and Scandinavia, virtually no stone buildings, except cathedrals, were raised for ten centuries. The serfs’ basic agricultural tools were picks, forks, spades, rakes, scythes, and balanced sickles. Because there was very little iron, there were no wheeled plowshares with moldboards. The lack of plows was not a major problem in the south, where farmers could pulverize light Mediterranean soils, but the heavier earth in northern Europe had to be sliced, moved, and turned by hand. Although horses and oxen were available, they were of limited use. The horse collar, harness, and stirrup did not exist until about A.D. 900. Therefore tandem hitching was impossible. Peasants labored harder, sweated more, and collapsed from exhaustion more often than their animals

chitoryu12 posted:

Also his justification for peasants walking around naked in the summer is that medieval people had no sense of self, or ego. Everyone but nobles went around with just a single name, with a nickname if they needed further identification, and would just take a surname from their occupation if necessary. He believes that the casual "anything goes" spelling utilized was due to medieval people literally not giving enough of a poo poo about their identity in the mortal world to care. As such, they had so little care for themselves as individuals that they also had no sense of privacy and would go dicks out whenever they felt like it.

chitoryu12 posted:

He said that "prosperous peasants" lived in a single room in a large building that also included the farm animals' pens and feed storage, and everyone in the family slept on a communal bed of vermin-filled straw and even had sex among everyone else. Travelers who stayed the night would be invited to sleep in the pile.

Meanwhile, the regular peasants slept on the bare dirt and spend 1/3 of their lives in famine so severe that they'd have to sell all their belongings and live naked for a while until they could buy clothes, and travelers, strangers, and execution victims would regularly be cannibalized. He also somehow thinks that dinner was always at 10:00 AM and supper at 5:00 PM despite peasants living entirely outside of time.

This is a rabbit hole worth reviewing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

THE DARK AGES were stark in every dimension. Famines and plague, culminating in the Black Death and its recurring pandemics, repeatedly thinned the population. Rickets afflicted the survivors.

Is the implication here that the Dark Ages were literally dark, meaning little to no sunlight, and that's why everyone had rickets?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow that's a weird as gently caress fantasy setting.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jacob Burckhardt after the lobotomy.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Dec 10, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pick posted:

Ha ha and I really enjoyed your shrimp experience, it's the one Comedy Goldmine I go back to again and again.

Link Link

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Xarbala posted:

Link Link

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770505&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#top

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tunicate posted:

It's weird peasants couldn't use their ability to transcend time to get out of their poverty.

lovely world building always ruins any fantasy series.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's weird peasants couldn't use their ability to transcend time to get out of their poverty.

lovely world building always ruins any fantasy series.

They could, but their lack of ego meant they had also ascended beyond such petty concerns and knew they had to let their physical bodies die to bring about the bright future where a dude could shitpost a whole book about them.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tunicate posted:

Are we sure he's not just talking about FATAL?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

quote:

He said that "prosperous peasants" lived in a single room in a large building that also included the farm animals' pens and feed storage, and everyone in the family slept on a communal bed of vermin-filled straw and even had sex among everyone else. Travelers who stayed the night would be invited to sleep in the pile.

So in a way, we're right back to Thomas Kinkade's gently caress Cabin :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hey thanks

That started out alright, and then Palpek bust into the thread like fuckin gangbusters holy poo poo

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Strategic Tea posted:

So in a way, we're right back to Thomas Kinkade's gently caress Cabin :v:

Time to write my filthy-sex-peasant Twilight fanfic novel, Fifty Shades of Hay

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xarbala posted:

hey thanks

That started out alright, and then Palpek bust into the thread like fuckin gangbusters holy poo poo

Somewhere in there is a link to the Katering Show, which is a must-see. Utterly off-topic for this thread, but hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

C.M. Kruger posted:

The military history thread has recently been talking about A World Lit Only By Fire, which seems to be a suitable candidate for this thread.

I could go on but the whole book is like this. I love the image of the peasant venturing a few fields too far from home, becoming hopelessly lost and wandering the country forever.

I feel kind of silly because I loved this book, and have continued to recommend it to people despite not having read it since 10th grade.

quote:

In particular, Adams pointed out that Manchester's claims about diet, clothing, and medieval people's views of time and their sense of self all ran counter to the conclusions of 20th-century historians of the Middle Ages. Manchester’s views on the transition from medieval to modern civilization, though they were popular in the 19th and early 20th century (and still are current in some segments of contemporary culture), have long been rejected by professional scholars in the relevant fields. Despite this, the book is often taught at the beginning of College Board's AP European History class.

Dammit, Mr. Treadwell, I trusted you! :argh: