Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I like not-Crow and not-Bender there with the other bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
There's also not-Tom Servo and the robot from Lost in Space (I think?).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Syncopated posted:

I have no idea where this is from.

An issue of the quarterly Star Wars series from Dark Horse. Unlimited maybe?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Syncopated posted:

I have no idea where this is from.

Star Wars Tales #1. Peter David wrote it.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

the future is WOW posted:

There's also not-Tom Servo

That's a pit-droid from Episode one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferrule posted:

That's a pit-droid from Episode one.

Look at those pages again.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I don't see Tom Servo but yeah that's definitely a very-thinly-veiled Crow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't see Tom Servo but yeah that's definitely a very-thinly-veiled Crow.

LOOK RIGHT NEXT TO HIM JESUS CHRIST

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The two most moving things in this thread are the panels where Vision thinks about his dead family and the sadness of these posters who cannot see Tom Servo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I see Tom Servo everywhere for I love him and have accepted him into my heart

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Rhyno posted:

Look at those pages again.

Praise the Maker, I thought that was Not-Crow's arm!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I see Tom Servo everywhere for I love him and have accepted him into my heart

And for your love, he shall return in three months. Because he is lazy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Flintstones #6

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Flinstones is the dumbest thing.

It's so bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I honestly am beginning to wonder if people are just posting really bad pages in some ironic fashion or what. I mean the stuff I keep seeing is the subtle as a hammer to the forehead type of moralizing. Now if it's a parody of that kind of thing and I'm missing context that's key to picking it up then there might be something interesting there.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought this was the funny panels thread

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

X-O posted:

I honestly am beginning to wonder if people are just posting really bad pages in some ironic fashion or what. I mean the stuff I keep seeing is the subtle as a hammer to the forehead type of moralizing. Now if it's a parody of that kind of thing and I'm missing context that's key to picking it up then there might be something interesting there.

The series is black comedy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Could someone post some? Because all I ever see is what if modern thing was actually in the past?

But it doesn't do anything funny or interesting with it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It seems really really bad at hiding the blatant emotional manipulation inherent to all fiction, like I read that page and I imagine handing it back to the dude in art class with the Cure shirt and he's just like "So, what'd you think? Made you question modern society, right?"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

purple death ray posted:

It seems really really bad at hiding the blatant emotional manipulation inherent to all fiction, like I read that page and I imagine handing it back to the dude in art class with the Cure shirt and he's just like "So, what'd you think? Made you question modern society, right?"

Basically could be said of any Flintstones page posted.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
In the cartoon the bowling balls were just large rocks, not prehistoric armadillos.

So, yeah, Flintstones comic sucks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

purple death ray posted:

Fred went bowling with Barney, then it cut to that scene, then went back to the actual story without ever acknowledging the plight of the animals again. So I'm pretty sure the juxtaposition of their depressing circumstances against Fred and Barney bowling is being played for laughs and not actually trying to do any real emotional manipulation.

Edit: I just realized this isn't the funny panels thread

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Somehow Da Flintstones can't help being the most controversial comic of the year in these post pages threads.

e: And I'm not trying to rile anyone up posting this comic. Every time it makes me laugh or go aww, it'll go in a thread and I'll just hope it doesn't immediately get dumped on.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 11, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Could someone post some? Because all I ever see is what if modern thing was actually in the past?

But it doesn't do anything funny or interesting with it.

That's the Flintstones to a tee.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The key to understanding it is that it's not trying to be subtle. The clashing bluntness is part of the comedy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's ironically poo poo you guys, you just don't understand

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

AnonSpore posted:

It's ironically poo poo you guys, you just don't understand

We can just read your posts, you don't have to summarise them

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Like I said it before but, regardless of if you happen to find it funny or not, I don't understand how people can look at the "We participated in a genocide, Barney" panel and not realize that that's partly a joke in and of itself. It's like the "pull the trigger Piglet" meme.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

WickedHate posted:

Like I said it before but, regardless of if you happen to find it funny or not, I don't understand how people can look at the "We participated in a genocide, Barney" panel and not realize that that's partly a joke in and of itself. It's like the "pull the trigger Piglet" meme.

because this is comics, ever since Watchmen we've had properties almost as silly as the flintstones pulling tone deaf attempts at being edgy and serious, and with that all the nerds writing "the kids cartoon I like is SECRETLY DARK" on the internet, it's hard to see it when someone pulls a sincere joke like this.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

because this is comics, ever since Watchmen we've had properties almost as silly as the flintstones pulling tone deaf attempts at being edgy and serious, and with that all the nerds writing "the kids cartoon I like is SECRETLY DARK" on the internet, it's hard to see it when someone pulls a sincere joke like this.

it's also hard to tell when the joke is so lovely, unfunny, and embittered like all the flintstones ones are. that comic is an oily shitstain.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I haven't read the comic, but the hate seems a little overstated. At absolute worst it's slightly undercooked jokes, not the worst thing that ever happened to you personally.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Are there any black comedy type comics that are generally well regarded, or are they all similarly divisive?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

UnfurledSails posted:

Are there any black comedy type comics that are generally well regarded, or are they all similarly divisive?

Moon Knight

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Because it isn't a joke. I read the issue. It goes into a long detailed backstory that genuinely attempts to evoke pathos and sadness for Fred and Barney being tricked into a genocidal war where Barnie attempts to redeem himself and find happiness by adopting the last surviving child of the people he killed.

There is black humor in Flintstones. That isn't it. You can tell the difference because Flintstones is *blunt as gently caress* about both its humor and its emotional beats. Trying to defend it with "It's supposed to be funny!!!" doesn't work when you actually read the context and see that it's doing a genuine story about PTSD. (And if it was trying to be funny then, as someone else stated, it's *really loving gross* to make fun of ignore soldiers suffering from PTSD.)

Like yeah, something that is at once emotional and black humor in the Flintstones is the soldier waiting on hold on the suicide hotline, but that is blunt as hell throughout the entire issue.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 11, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The overall message can be valid even if the delivery is meant to be inherently silly in a jarring sort of way. You can tell because if you took away the setting and stuff the "deep" moments would be pointless and stilted. The flavor is important to what it's doing.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I also read the issue and it was really funny.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

Are there any black comedy type comics that are generally well regarded

The Flintstones :)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

UnfurledSails posted:

The newer Prez is pretty sharp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The overall message can be valid even if the delivery is meant to be inherently silly in a jarring sort of way. You can tell because if you took away the setting and stuff the "deep" moments would be pointless and stilted. The flavor is important to what it's doing.

What it is doing is insanely tone-deaf attempts to parody American culture. Which isn't necessarily anti-Flintones but utterly ridiculous. The "marriage" issue was utterly loving awful because its attempts at satire made no sense whatsoever. It was clear it was trying to be about gay marriage but ended up just being nonsense. (And not in a good way.)

The constant attempts to defend it as "W-well, it's supposed to seem hamfisted and awkward" just don't work for me. If your attempt at false bad writing is indistinguishable from bad writing then you don't earn that benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Oh a buncha new posts in the Touching and Inspiring Thread! Lesse wha... oh"

Smallville Season 11 apparently