Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

An open letter to my loyal Kingsguard: stop loving running in front of me, Jesus Christ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Megasabin posted:

You are happy with the sidequests? Are you the magical person who absolutely loves Ubisoft open world game design?

Some of them are a little annoying, but being able to fast travel to my car / other locations to turn them in is pretty nice, and I like helping people out. Plus, hunts are generally fun too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tae posted:

I can't imagine a more opposite description of FF15's combat. There' actual action games to compare it to instead of trying to shoehorn in other FF's when most of them are turn-based.

Final Fantasy Rising: Revengeance

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'd honestly say the closest thing to it is Kingdom Hearts.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

Some of them are a little annoying, but being able to fast travel to my car / other locations to turn them in is pretty nice, and I like helping people out. Plus, hunts are generally fun too.

Yeah I'd say that 80 percent of the quests were "fine" and twenty percent were "mildly annoying" and I think that's an acceptable ratio.

The sidequests aren't as good as the Witcher 3's, which remains the king of open world RPGs, but they fulfill their function and generally lead to more varied and different combat scenarios, so for the most part the quests are worthwhile. The dungeons are also very good, IMO, though I feel it a bit strange that you basically get nothing but caves for the first half of the game, a bunch of forests in the second half, and then weird abstract ruins for the post.

Technically speaking, this game has an astoundingly good lighting engine. The darkness effects are very good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the quests in the witcher were good off the back of very strong writing. final fantasy 15 is a lot of things, but very well written isn't one of them

the exploration and overworld design feels to me like a mix of dragon age inquisition, nier, and dragon's dogma

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
FFXV is Dragon's Dogma to a T.

Run around in an open world with your pawns performing chores for listless peasants while switching up class archetypes and strategies to combat non-level scaled enemies that can often outlevel you massively. Run like hell to the nearest settlement when the sun sets to avoid the nastier monsters.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Spent a while thinking about the game as a whole, and my musings on the central theme of XV:

The game is this weird mix of 'coming of age' and 'these guys aren't just your bodyguards, they're your brothers'. What's surprising while reflecting on it is how little Noct is allowed to show any form of negative emotion. He's rushed to focus on being king instead of grieving for Regis. Gladio is constantly on Noct to focus on the bigger picture and watch out for Ignis instead of wallowing in grief over Luna. Heck, we don't even see Prompto comforting Noct about Luna. To me the biggest point of this is when everyone's yelling at Noct to leave them behind and go to the crystal. Which is the 'right' thing to do, but for a game that's spent tens of hours building up camaraderie with your bros, it doesn't feel right. The game's big selling point is having a good fun roadtrip, but throughout it all Noct is also being forced to be ruthlessly pragmatic.

It's not a bad theme, but it's one that's a bit lost and confused at times. Personally for me it would have helped if someone like Gladio (or heck, even Prompto) sat Noct down and went, 'I know we're friends and we look out for each other, but trust in us as your bodyguards. If there's ever a point where you have to forge ahead without us, do so with no regrets, knowing that we understand and we're proud of you. We're not just defending our friend, we're defending our king.'

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
FF15: Kill 10 boars

Witcher 3: Lemme fill your heart and soul with a very natural growing of a relationship with the NPC before you, eventually leading into the specific form of aid that NPC requires, which follows with more award-winning quality writing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Witcher 3: Lemme fill your heart and soul with a very natural growing of a relationship with the NPC before you, eventually leading into the specific form of aid that NPC requires, which follows with more award-winning quality writing.

nier: drift that boar

yes boar drifting is entirely why I immediately compare that game to ff15, why do you ask

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

Yes, the Witcher is a well-written series.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

echronorian posted:

Goon opinion on this game after being out a while?

One of my favorite games in a long, long time. I think there's a fairly simple litmus test for enjoying XV: Did you play Final Fantasy XII? Did you make it past the Tomb of Raithwall?

If you chose to continue the plot after that, then you will hate this game. If you chose to explore as much of XII's world as possible and clear as many hunts as you can, then XV will absolutely enthrall you for dozens, maybe even hundreds, of hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

One of my favorite games in a long, long time. I think there's a fairly simple litmus test for enjoying XV: Did you play Final Fantasy XII? Did you make it past the Tomb of Raithwall?

If you chose to continue the plot after that, then you will hate this game. If you chose to explore as much of XII's world as possible and clear as many hunts as you can, then XV will absolutely enthrall you for dozens, maybe even hundreds, of hours.

I did the latter and also didn't like FFXII much but enjoyed FFXV a fair bit more, warts and all. Largely because FFXV has a fun combat system.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Manatee Cannon posted:

nier: drift that boar

yes boar drifting is entirely why I immediately compare that game to ff15, why do you ask

I mean, they're both kinda janky SE-published RPGs that absolutely excel at certsin aspects.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Seriously, I don't get why FF12 of all things gets constantly compared to 15. Is it literally only because of the MMO quests?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tae posted:

Seriously, I don't get why FF12 of all things gets constantly compared to 15. Is it literally only because of the MMO quests?

Also the AI controlled party, not turn-based, encounters in the overworld rather than going to a battle screen.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae posted:

Mostly because you can ignore the plot and have all kinds of adventures around the world. XII had probably the most boring combat system though, and XV has at least my favorite, and definitely among the most exciting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FF12 is definitely turn based with ATB bar and everything, the only difference is that you can put all the characters in automation ai mode.

Like, the best comparison is that it's a non-anime style big budget Tales of (insert nonsense) game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Has anyone found Smoking Wood yet? I've been needing it for a recipe but I can't find it. Not even on google. :confused:

Edit: Goddammit, just found it right after I posted. Of course.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 8, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SectumSempra posted:

I mean you aren't always going to get witcher 3 sidequests, and sometimes sidequests just being playing the game more/ getting more powerful is enough for a lot of people.

Witcher 3 has the best "sidequests" I've ever seen in a game. Its optional content is leagues above what most other games put on their critical path. It's almost unfair to compare. Almost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Witcher 3 has the best "sidequests" I've ever seen in a game. Its optional content is leagues above what most other games put on their critical path. It's almost unfair to compare. Almost.

I genuinely think Witcher 3's side content is better than its critical content.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yodzilla posted:

I ended up buying MGSV Complete and Witcher 3 Complete during the PSN Black Friday sale.

I guess once I finish FFXV within the next couple of years I can start on those. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ROFL Octopus posted:

I ended up buying MGSV Complete and Witcher 3 Complete during the PSN Black Friday sale.

I guess once I finish FFXV within the next couple of years I can start on those. :v:

I'm in a similar situation - I was just gifted Dragon's Dogma recently. At least the person who did so explicitly stipulated that it's for after FFXV, so they shouldn't get disappointed that I won't play it for a while.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think Witcher 3's side content is better than its critical content.

barring the bloody baron yea you're right (bloody baron is so good tho). the plot falls apart a bit towards the end

AlphaKretin posted:

I mean, they're both kinda janky SE-published RPGs that absolutely excel at certsin aspects.

there are other points of comparison but literally the first and only thing that jumps to mind every time I think of the two is "you can drift that pig/chicken"

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Nier Automata in March makes the Persona 5 delay okay. As long as they drop that December patch and least the VR DLC and there's more to it than roomscaling your way between Cindy's legs.

e: my first line vanished, rambled on about games with stories, wanna see an allstar FF16 production with like Falcom on words, SE on engine and combat and mechanics.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 8, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tae posted:

I think it's because if you absolutely must choose a final fantasy game to compare this one to, 12 probably comes the closest, even though it's not really all that similar when you actually compare the gameplay. As others have said, Kingdom Hearts is probably the better comparison but since this is a numbered FF game you're naturally going to reach for another one in the series instead.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm in a similar situation - I was just gifted Dragon's Dogma recently. At least the person who did so explicitly stipulated that it's for after FFXV, so they shouldn't get disappointed that I won't play it for a while.

Yeah the last time I even witnessed an open-world game was when I was watching my little brother play GTA 4. If FFXV is babby's first open-world, then I'm very glad I started with it.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Is there any chance Square will release the various preorder bonuses to the masses at some point? I preordered at GameStop so I was able to get King's Tale, but I'd like to get the Amazon Road Trip stuff too but want to make sure first.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MissileWaster posted:

Is there any chance Square will release the various preorder bonuses to the masses at some point? I preordered at GameStop so I was able to get King's Tale, but I'd like to get the Amazon Road Trip stuff too but want to make sure first.

I'm almost positive because that's pretty standard game procedure at this point. Don't spend however much people are demanding on Amazon because I'm willing to bet you can buy it from PSN for much, much cheaper down the line.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

Honestly there's a lot of DNA shared between MGS5 and FFXV. Both games are at the height of their gameplay design, attention to detail, graphical fidelity, presentation, and scope. And yet both have paper thin narratives with the most awkward and erratic direction I've seen in a video game.

But they good games, play them.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cephas posted:

This except please let me replace Gladio with Aranea, Prompto with Iris, Ignis with Cindy, and Noctis with Lunafreya

Final Fantasy Sisterhood

I think Square's A team is probably busy with the ff7 remake at this point but otherwise I would totally expect FFXV-2 with this premise. Probably without Lunafreya though the final chapter feels like a huge tease for a future game, Talbott fills you in on how Cid/Cindy/Iris are all still alive, no you can't visit them you need to sit on your throne and die. I'm sure Square would love to reuse a lot of those assets in a sequel or two

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

This game has been a lot of fun for someone that passed on the past....decade(ffX) of Final Fantasy games. Blew my expectations out of the water even after watching a solid hour of gameplay videos after it was released. I've made it to chapter13 and do not understand what is so anime about this but I've ridden so many god damned elevators I'm not certain that I like this game so much until I get past here. Feels like a quarter of my playtime has been devoted to this labyrinth so far. :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I might slow down a bit because some of the promised future updates is smoothing out chapter 13 and adding new story content with newly recorded dialog for a character. I guess that's what 5 million day 1 sales lets you accomplish.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

I think Square's A team is probably busy with the ff7 remake at this point but otherwise I would totally expect FFXV-2 with this premise.

FF7r is a side project at best still, because it's being mainly handled by Unreal engine 4 and Cyberconnect2 last time I checked on the technical side.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I'd heard the game got bad in the second half but enjoyed the beginning so much I didn't believe it. Then you get on a boat and it really does.

It does everything in its power to step on its own toes. Boggles my mind that they didn't, like, rework the narrative into what encompasses the post game, and make the story more about exploring the world like it seems like it would be. I'm assuming many areas were cut from the game. Really wanted to like explore the ruined, on fire Empire castle rather than look at it from a train track or the bizarre blend of desert and tundra rather than just Shiva's corpse from again a train track.

Even for me the Chapter 14 stuff felt like so much telling and not showing.

Also, with the fight against Leviathan, did anyone else feel like it was a weird blend of Perfect Chaos from Sonic Adventure and Final Hazard from Sonic Adventure 2?

I'm really surprised it's almost consistently reviewed so well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's almost like a bad ending doesn't invalidate the previous 30+ hours that were good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ffxv is a lot of things, but the ending being bad is not one of them

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

please help my boys they're sick

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RatHat posted:

It's almost like a bad ending doesn't invalidate the previous 30+ hours that were good.

It's not the ending it's the entire back half of the game. The end ending isn't as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
12 is literally the only other "open world" FF and I'd daresay that it actually does the whole thing better. I had no problem with the amount or quality of the gameplay content in 12. The RNG chests are stupid and there are certainly elements that aren't very polished, but I mean to say that the hunts and a bunch of secret bosses and dungeons to discover was honestly enough for me. Playing 12 was such a wonderful experience because you're wandering this incredibly vast landscape and you might find a random slope in the middle of a plain and descend into a loving crazy sand cave that hides an awesome secret and that's just there. No fanfare, no map marker, none of that.

FF12 owns.

• Locked thread