Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

if you want real luxury with no manual labour just buy instant like I do. No grinding, no filters, no sludge. Suck it proles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I only drink canned coffee with 8 ingredients or more

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Magna Kaser posted:

I picked up a grinder and press over black friday here in the states. Does anyone have any good sellers for coffee beans on taobao/jd/etc?

Shameless plug for my friend's business: https://jecoffee.taobao.com/ They are really good, though.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I've been drinking instant since I got here, but I also hate myself, so...

Anyway, I feel stupid asking, but has anyone here had luck adding custom stickers to wechat using iOS? Everything I load up ends up looping improperly. I read awhile ago that the iOS implementation of that feature was broken, but it seems like stuff has been updated plenty in the meantime.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh hello, where in China are you?

We have a wechat group that is just full of gross stickers

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

simplefish posted:

if you want real luxury with no manual labour just buy instant like I do. No grinding, no filters, no sludge. Suck it proles

Lol if you don't have a maid to make coffee for you

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wouldn't the reasonable solution for all this to just drink high caffeine tea? Because, you know, China.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

I only drink canned coffee with 8 ingredients or more

For real japanese canned coffee was the biggest letdown of my life everyone told me how it's good but everyone was never so wrong.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I've been drinking instant since I got here, but I also hate myself, so...

Anyway, I feel stupid asking, but has anyone here had luck adding custom stickers to wechat using iOS? Everything I load up ends up looping improperly. I read awhile ago that the iOS implementation of that feature was broken, but it seems like stuff has been updated plenty in the meantime.

I'm on iOS and don't notice this for stickers I can save, but I have noticed the size limit for stickers on iOS is way, way lower than Android.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Saving other people's stickers isn't a problem, but adding my own gifs as stickers always ends up with something janky.

I'm in Urumqi. I feel like the thread has been through this a couple times already, but the QR code for the wechat is coming back as expired. Other ways to get brought into the fold?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Saving other people's stickers isn't a problem, but adding my own gifs as stickers always ends up with something janky.

I'm in Urumqi. I feel like the thread has been through this a couple times already, but the QR code for the wechat is coming back as expired. Other ways to get brought into the fold?

The WeChat code expires every 2 weeks or something so I just don't update it. Just post your WeChat ID here and someone will add you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

For real japanese canned coffee was the biggest letdown of my life everyone told me how it's good but everyone was never so wrong.

Yeah, it's poo poo isn't it? The black ones are tolerable if you're in a situation where you NEED coffee, but god anything with milk or sugar is disgusting.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 2, 2016

Primordial Soup
Jul 31, 2010
Greetings goons, just moved to Chongqing from NYC a little more than a month ago. I'm the director of a music school in Liangjiang New Area, and still getting my wits about me. Picking up enough knowledge about the geography and Chongqinghua to be able to order food, direct taxi drivers, take the subway, etc. Still don't know what's going on more than half the time though... Coming from an long-established city such as NYC to a place where new buildings and shops go up practically overnight is quite the experience. Obviously CQ is pretty well established as it is, but there is quite the business boom going on at the moment. Anyone else living in the area/know some cool activities or groups to check out?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If you hop on a train through the mountains to Chengdu I could recommend a lot, but dunno much about our slightly less polluted neighbor. I think one guy here lives in chongqing or a suburb thereof??????

My big advice is get alipay/wechat wallet set up asap if you haven't and start using apps for everything. China being so well connected is like the only big plus of this place over the US.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Primordial Soup posted:

Greetings goons, just moved to Chongqing from NYC a little more than a month ago. I'm the director of a music school in Liangjiang New Area, and still getting my wits about me. Picking up enough knowledge about the geography and Chongqinghua to be able to order food, direct taxi drivers, take the subway, etc. Still don't know what's going on more than half the time though... Coming from an long-established city such as NYC to a place where new buildings and shops go up practically overnight is quite the experience. Obviously CQ is pretty well established as it is, but there is quite the business boom going on at the moment. Anyone else living in the area/know some cool activities or groups to check out?

If you come to hk lets do something cultural. I know a cellist and double bassist with the HK Philharmonic and hung out w a goon who was auditioning for their bass trombone (decided not to take it)

I also know a bunch of theatre people here if you don't want a busman's holiday

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 7, 2016

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I lived in chongqing (yangjiaping) for a year, but it was over six years ago so most of what I'd say probably wouldn't even be relevant anymore since the city 发展得很快

I will just try to throw out some bullet lists of stuff that probably is still there that you should do (I'm guessing you've done a number of this already):

-Eat 干锅鸡 (gan guo ji, chicken dry pot) at almost any restaurant. It's my favorite food in Chongqing
-Go to the street barbeque place

-Go to this night time roadside barbeque here and get the BBQ pig brain (sounds gross but it's really good):

The BBQ will be right around the Linfeng hotel. I can't guarantee it's still there but it was "so famours" while I was there.

-There were some places that had like cool music where more open-minded Chinese people hung out. I doubt they are the same places now, but I am quite sure they are there somewhere. I would try to find these places and meet Chinese people who are more open-minded as early as you can and make good friends with them...this can really save your sanity in the long run. There used to be one of these places right outside the Qinggui station in Jiefangbei (and up those stair things), but I'd be sort of surprised if it's still there.

-DO NOT go to the museum that is about KMT war crimes. Only Chinese people think this is a place worth going to--it's a pure propaganda museum and there is garbage all over the road. You might get invited to this place and given a vague description of what it is. If you hear "prison" just politely decline unless you feel like wasting your day. It's literally like a few buildings with propaganda placards and photos talking about how awful the KMT was and how noble and righteous the PRC and PLA is.

-Chongqing is really huge, probably even if you are from New York City. It's easy to live there for a year and never go to a huge district that exists. They all do tend to get very "samey," but I remember being blown away when I went to Jiangbei near the end of the year there and seeing what was basically a totally unseen skyline that I never new existed. It's probably more fun and smart to just get to know one area of the city really well, but if you eve r get bored there are tons of places still within the city that you can go to and feel like you are in a totally new place.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 7, 2016

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I was in Chongqing for a weekend as part of a team building trip, and coming from Shanghai there was nothing to do unless you really like eating the same two or three spicy dishes every day and climbing steep sidewalks.

Everyone was telling me to go eat at some famous breakfast noodle place, but it's just a bowl of cheap noodles drowning in Sichuan pepper oil. Nothing really spicy in it, just numbing peppercorns so you're eating noodles soaked in antiseptic at 7:30am. I commented to one of my coworkers that grew up here that it seems like a weird breakfast food, and her Sichuan Pride kicked in and she came back with IT IS A TRADITIONAL CHONGQING BREAKFAST THEREFORE IT IS GREAT, BUT NOW I HAVE TO ASK WHY YOU AGREED TO CONE ON THIS TRIP IF YOU DONT LIKE SPICY FOOD.

angel opportunity posted:

DO NOT go to the museum that is about KMT war crimes. Only Chinese people think this is a place worth going to--it's a pure propaganda museum and there is garbage all over the road. You might get invited to this place and given a vague description of what it is. If you hear "prison" just politely decline unless you feel like wasting your day. It's literally like a few buildings with propaganda placards and photos talking about how awful the KMT was and how noble and righteous the PRC and PLA is.

Yeah the same girl from previous story had us all go here and it was so short compared to the travel time. I had way more fun at the Three Gorges Dam museum the next day.

Also after being in Shanghai, I found it hilarious that chongqing only has like 5 Starbucks and they're all within a one block radius of the Apple Store downtown

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I loving hate those numbing peppercorns. I can handle just about every kind of "spicy" in the world, but those goddamn stupid-rear end numbing peppercorns make me angry as gently caress.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
They are good in moderation, but in Sichuan and Chongqing they pile so many on that it's not appetizing. Usually though they are chunky enough that you can just kind of move a bunch of them off the dish, leave a few, and have it taste good

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Oh you think my chili oil isn't spicy enough? I could try using other ingredients but let's just do this:
*takes a fork and scores up your tongue*
Okay try it now! See, much more spicy! You can barely eat it!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ceciltron posted:

I loving hate those numbing peppercorns. I can handle just about every kind of "spicy" in the world, but those goddamn stupid-rear end numbing peppercorns make me angry as gently caress.

You have actual brain problems though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sichuan pepper is good and you're just dumb.

Also you develop a tolerance so when you actually live here you stop noticing the numb part and just get the flavor. I'd have to just pour a bag of them directly into my mouth to get serious numbing at this point.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

You have actual brain problems though

And you're a giant rear end in a top hat!

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

My big advice is get alipay/wechat wallet set up asap if you haven't and start using apps for everything. China being so well connected is like the only big plus of this place over the US.

That requires two bank accounts minimum & a local phone contract with say China Unicom. Not difficult, but you'll need a native speaker with you, and have to triple check they spell your family and personal names correctly.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

Sichuan pepper is good and you're just dumb.

Also you develop a tolerance so when you actually live here you stop noticing the numb part and just get the flavor. I'd have to just pour a bag of them directly into my mouth to get serious numbing at this point.

I like when the dried peppercorns are pulverized and dusted over food so you get the flavor and don't have the numbing, letting you ignore the whole "build up a tolerance so i can overlook the numbing effect" part of it!

The idea of having the numbing juice running down your throat and making it tingle is gross as hell and should not be part of cuisine

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LentThem posted:

I like when the dried peppercorns are pulverized and dusted over food so you get the flavor and don't have the numbing, letting you ignore the whole "build up a tolerance so i can overlook the numbing effect" part of it!

The idea of having the numbing juice running down your throat and making it tingle is gross as hell and should not be part of cuisine

When you gave me poo poo for liking onion fried pancakes in Shanghai I have no more faith in your food opinions. Sorry dude. But it was still nice meeting you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I'm being sincere when I say this. I'm sorry about your childish palates and broken brains, ceciltron and lentthem. No wonder you both dislike living in China so much.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Don't use Sichuan pepper, use Sichuan pepper oil.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

I'm being sincere when I say this. I'm sorry about your childish palates and broken brains, ceciltron and lentthem. No wonder you both dislike living in China so much.

Hey man let's grab a burger at frank's sometime. I still haven't tried it out yet.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Hey man let's grab a burger at frank's sometime. I still haven't tried it out yet.

I thought you might be coming yesterday but you didn't.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A common complaint about Non spicy Chinese cuisine is that most chefs are from the spicier provinces and the palate is creeping in more pepper corns and spices.

I had some really good Hangzhou home cooking the other day and I heard similar complaints. Even all the way down in Singapore and Malaysia too when it comes to Fujian food. Honestly, I'm in a bit of spice chasing phase nowadays but I am super glad to travel around China and meet up with you goons.

So I guess I enjoy different Chinese food because I associate with fun happy memories :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

I thought you might be coming yesterday but you didn't.

sorry flight went straight to HK

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

sorry flight went straight to HK

It's ok.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

caberham posted:

When you gave me poo poo for liking onion fried pancakes in Shanghai I have no more faith in your food opinions. Sorry dude. But it was still nice meeting you

No I gave you poo poo for eating Haier-level cheap trash-quality food, not for liking onion fried pancakes.

You can't claim to be a food snob and then gorge on Walmart quality food every time I meet you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

LentThem posted:

No I gave you poo poo for eating Haier-level cheap trash-quality food, not for liking onion fried pancakes.

You can't claim to be a food snob and then gorge on Walmart quality food every time I meet you

On the other hand, you said strawberries taste weird.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Haier level cheap. That made me chuckle. But lots of quantity

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

fart simpson posted:

On the other hand, you said strawberries taste weird.

that was just a pretense for taking your sister to a strip club

but i feel like we aren't giving very good Chongqing Living advice for Primordial Soup anymore. since i was only there for a weekend i cant remember anything else noteworthy except for some dudes having really impressive panda bellies rolling over their beltline

LentThem fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 8, 2016

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Is Ding Dim 1968 actually good or was I tricked by one too many yelp reviews? I mean...i liked it and I was the only person there basically. So it wasn't a hassle.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hey I'm having a serious internet argument, can anyone tell me if Joe Chinese gives a poo poo about trumps call with taiwan? My wife said "trump and taiwan what now?" so I think not.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

One of my coworkers thinks the mainland should start a war to take back Taiwan now, even if it means somehow kicking off WW3 and trashing the economy. Although she also said she'd be happy if Taiwan somehow won the war, because the specific government matters less than the idea of a unified China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Baddog posted:

Hey I'm having a serious internet argument, can anyone tell me if Joe Chinese gives a poo poo about trumps call with taiwan? My wife said "trump and taiwan what now?" so I think not.

Joe Chinese might care about the phone call after seeing Chinese officials throw a fuss on the evening news.

Because Joe Chinese doesn't really know/care/remember the nuances of foreign policy.