Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anyone know of any games that have a base building aspect, but not as the core aspect of the game? It doesn't have to be particularly deep. Could be something like the Suikoden series, or Fallout 4.

No Man's Sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think the one-way heroics expansion (or maybe it was the remake) lets you customize the home base you start off in

GhostControl might fit, it's basically sorta X-COM but with ghosts.

Silly suggestion, but Garry's Mod? Some of the servers have some optional base building aspects to them, mostly the RP servers.

Zombasite is a game that is definitely more based around managing your home base than you might be asking for, but it's an ARPG like diablo where you get quests and run around doing said quests before another clan does them (or before the quest fails) and you can send people to rescue back to your home base to guard it from other clans while you can go and fight other clans or befriend them and trade with them, but this is all done from that diablo perspective so it's...it's weird, but maybe worth looking into

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anyone know of any games that have a base building aspect, but not as the core aspect of the game? It doesn't have to be particularly deep. Could be something like the Suikoden series, or Fallout 4.

if you enjoy roguelites, theres dungeonmans, where you build up the dungeonmans academy to get a range of different bonuses for future characters and can invest in towns around the map, so the shops offer better gear.

theres also rogue legacy, which is more of an action-platformer-meets-roguelite where you build up your castle for various perks/new classes.

both are very fun imo, and should be quite cheap.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 8, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

GhostControl might fit, it's basically sorta X-COM but with ghosts.

hmm i don't want to look this up because i'm going to be disappointed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just checked out the Ultimate Edition for Halo Wars 2 and it already has more value for money than EA's Battlefront ever did.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Junior Jr. posted:

Just checked out the Ultimate Edition for Halo Wars 2 and it already has more value for money than EA's Battlefront ever did.

What a strange comparison.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the story of a video game in one picture

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

oddium posted:

It's an okay game that very quickly runs out of steam, as you do the same thing constantly and get bored with it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why'd they never make HL2 episode 3 anyways

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

more profitable to just be a store front

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also it would be really hard to monetize a f2p hl2 ep3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
valve's development process is weird and eventually led to just nobody really wanting to bother i guess

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Propeller Rats have single-handedly convinced me that I need to finally get around to playing Shovel Knight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Propeller Rats have single-handedly convinced me that I need to finally get around to playing Shovel Knight.

SHovel Knight is good, and the real joy is discovering that Plague Knight is even cooler

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:eyepop:

Help Im Alive posted:

The plan for the episodes was they'd be shorter development cycles, shorter games, and cheaper. They were shorter games and cheaper but not shorter development cycles really. So they gave up on that.

So what we'd get would be HL3, not HL2E3. But there's so much "hype" expectation for that, and no way for valve to monetize it with crazy microtransactions like TF2, CSGO, DOTA2, etc.

They tried doing micros with portal 2 and it didn't work (of course) so it may be awhile before we see another single player valve game really.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 8, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Zaphod42 posted:

But there's so much "hype" expectation for that, and no way for valve to monetize it with crazy microtransactions like TF2, CSGO, DOTA2, etc.

The monetization thing is probably real and a sign of how lovely valve is these days but I think the hype around it is a lame excuse. Hl3 would, at the very least, be a good game. If they made it and it didn't live up to expectations, whatever steam isn't going anywhere. It's just Gabe et al deciding they don't want to sully their reputation. Ironically I think it's much more pathetic to have the first two parts of a trilogy and then go "eh, it'd be too hard to make the third one live up to expectations, I give up."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Help Im Alive posted:

Valve's drunken gibbon playtesters wouldn't stop dying in the first ten seconds so they just gave up on making video games.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I just caught my first shiny Pokemon ever. :) How are you guys doing?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I too just recently got my first shiny and now I don't know what to do with it

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

You said it doesnt have to be deep, so i would suggest Pillars of Eternity. The devs themselves said they didnt do as well with the home base as they wanted, but it adds some fun new fights, the massive multi trip dungeon of the game is underneath it, and you get a neat large scale battle to keep it.

The Colonel posted:

valve's development process is weird and eventually led to just nobody really wanting to bother i guess

Iirc the valve devs work on what they want, and aren't assigned anything. I know i would not be willing to work on a boring fps in a boring setting instead of making stupid fun hats or another puzzle game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PantsBandit posted:

The monetization thing is probably real and a sign of how lovely valve is these days but I think the hype around it is a lame excuse. Hl3 would, at the very least, be a good game. If they made it and it didn't live up to expectations, whatever steam isn't going anywhere. It's just Gabe et al deciding they don't want to sully their reputation. Ironically I think it's much more pathetic to have the first two parts of a trilogy and then go "eh, it'd be too hard to make the third one live up to expectations, I give up."

The expectation argument feels like bullshit to me since it didn't stop them making HL2, HL2E1 and HL2E2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PantsBandit posted:

What with Doom and Titanfall 2 (and Shadow Warrior 2 to an extent, but that took things in a different direction) I'd say there's proof that an excellent, linear FPS campaign is enough for people to love your game even if it doesn't reinvent the wheel or try to adhere to whatever game design trends are in vogue at the moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

What with Doom and Titanfall 2 (and Shadow Warrior 2 to an extent, but that took things in a different direction) I'd say there's proof that an excellent, linear FPS campaign is enough for people to love your game even if it doesn't reinvent the wheel or try to adhere to whatever game design trends are in vogue at the moment.

A major issue that unlike DOOM, which went back to a style of game that was increasingly downplayed, Half-Life and Half-Life 2 basically helped create things that are now omnipresent in games. It's a lot harder for Half-Life to do something interesting because the big things it did (cinematic story-driven plots) are now in every game.

It isn't about being original, it's about being interesting, and that's a lot harder.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GuOjXYl5ew
http://i.imgur.com/DE0Jep5.mp4

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This month, I am resuming my quest to finally finish Earthbound, a quest that began back when the game was relatively new but I've never completed since I inevitably put the game down at some point and don't get back to it for a few years. I'm determined to finish it this time, but I always find myself getting sleepy after playing it for an hour or two. It's bizarre and doesn't happen to me for any other game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have been told to pick a Playstation 4 bundle that I want, aiming for closer to $400 rather than $500. Are there any recommendations? Does one maybe have the new Final Fantasy? This is hard. I had never considered that I might have a Playstation 4 before like a few weeks ago and now I don't know what I'm doing lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HL2 also ruined the FPS genre forever so 3 would have to be them trying to right that wrong in my eyes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega Man 8 is a really bizarre game. I kinda dig it but they broke a very basic design principle and made each boss stage 2 stages which is kinda hosed up and ruins the whole flow of Mega Man. Usually you want to reach a boss, try the weapons you have and if there's no weakness, give it an honest shot and then if it's too overwhelming just jump to a different level. You can't do that in 8 because there's a halfway point save that gets made, so if you leave you lose progress that you don't have to. So it always forces you to stick with the stage you chose which is antithetical to the spirit of Mega Man. Absolutely gorgeous sprites, although the art direction seems to have been somebody standing over a computer yelling MORE! COPY PASTE ALL THOSE SUCKERS!!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This might be the worst one yet.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In Training posted:

Mega Man 8 is a really bizarre game. I kinda dig it but they broke a very basic design principle and made each boss stage 2 stages which is kinda hosed up and ruins the whole flow of Mega Man. Usually you want to reach a boss, try the weapons you have and if there's no weakness, give it an honest shot and then if it's too overwhelming just jump to a different level. You can't do that in 8 because there's a halfway point save that gets made, so if you leave you lose progress that you don't have to. So it always forces you to stick with the stage you chose which is antithetical to the spirit of Mega Man. Absolutely gorgeous sprites, although the art direction seems to have been somebody standing over a computer yelling MORE! COPY PASTE ALL THOSE SUCKERS!!

Did you go with Arrow Shot or am I gonna have to beat you up

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Bicyclops posted:

I have been told to pick a Playstation 4 bundle that I want, aiming for closer to $400 rather than $500. Are there any recommendations? Does one maybe have the new Final Fantasy? This is hard. I had never considered that I might have a Playstation 4 before like a few weeks ago and now I don't know what I'm doing lol

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/playstation-4-1tb-final-fantasy-xv-limited-edition-bundle-only-at-gamestop/136015. Out of stock on the website but they might have some at nearby brick and mortars.

Alternatively buy this for $270 or a PS4 Pro and get FF15 separate. Online places are actually regularly selling out of the PS4 for the holidays I guess, that's kind of nuts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Did you go with Arrow Shot or am I gonna have to beat you up

I don't have enough bolts for any upgrades yet

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

im aqua man but you can call me handsome guy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17tXBePgfo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bloodychill posted:

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consoles/playstation-4-1tb-final-fantasy-xv-limited-edition-bundle-only-at-gamestop/136015. Out of stock on the website but they might have some at nearby brick and mortars.

Alternatively buy this for $270 or a PS4 Pro and get FF15 separate. Online places are actually regularly selling out of the PS4 for the holidays I guess, that's kind of nuts.

yeah really odd one of the fastest selling consoles ever is selling out in the run up to the biggest gift giving event in the western calendar. real head scratcher. can we get someone on the case here, work out whats happening? mods?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
We need a think tank to analyze the data and maybe figure this one out. Way outside my pay grade.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

This is the whitest thing I've seen in a while, and I looked in the mirror today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Wasn't expecting that on Fallon's show, I hope Miyamoto does a gig next year.

Is there a mirror or archive link to this, I don't actually want to give this my view.

• Locked thread