Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Hyperventilating. Eternal screaming. The dance-off changing everything.

I love this show so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

‪Fandom: viktor is hiding something‬
‪Viktor: yah the fact that my gay rear end has been in love with yuuri all along ‬

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Someone suggested that some of the moves in Yuri's Eros program might be based on Yuri's banquet dance, which would be hilarious if true.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Fangz posted:

Someone suggested that some of the moves in Yuri's Eros program might be based on Yuri's banquet dance, which would be hilarious if true.

Lol i literally just came back to the thread to link it after seeing it linked on Twitter
http://ice-fatales.tumblr.com/post/154182756766/people

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

The_Doctor posted:

God my boyfriend and I are loving this so much.

I'm really glad my wife got me into this show. That episode made me smile like a huge loving idiot.

This anime is good for my soul. Holy poo poo I love it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/alderion_al/status/806066041667407872

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Love wins and the straights loose.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

If you look really carefully Georgi won too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad georgi moved on

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In a stunning twist Georgi turns out to be the least embarrassing straight.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

If you look really carefully Georgi won too.

Well, we never did see how that dinner ended up...

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/ladybloof/status/806691827986403332

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He gave up his career and flew halfway around the world, following up on a drunken love confession, only to be rejected because it turns out the guy is a huge closet case.

So yea it's tragic but also really funny.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Poor Victor.

Seriously, that party explains so much about the first few episodes. Mainly, why Viktor kept hitting on Yuuri with the force of a freight train when we all thought he didn't have any prior indication that Yuuri would respond positively to that.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Watching this show is like dunking my head in a bucket of sunshine and rainbows repeatedly. I don't know what I'm going to do once it's over, it just makes me so happy whenever I watch it.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
This is the only anime to make me literally cheer out loud and wake up my neighbors.

GOLDEN.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Happiness is eating a pork cutlet bowl while watching Viktor enjoy a pork cutlet bowl

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Gibbering posted:

Poor Victor.

Seriously, that party explains so much about the first few episodes. Mainly, why Viktor kept hitting on Yuuri with the force of a freight train when we all thought he didn't have any prior indication that Yuuri would respond positively to that.

Yup. It changes basically everything. Viktor asking about his love interests is totally different.

This was a fantastic way to handle it, too.
All that tension is backended so it's not so much about that romantic angst. :3:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I can't believe that happened, this is the best show and it's officially crossed over to "YOU MUST WATCH THIS NOW" level of recommendation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gibbering posted:

Poor Victor.

Pretty much, despite them totally being gaylords I did kinda not love the relationship seeming to start with what seemed to be the 'pushy gay guy basically hassles closet case into coming out' trope. Turns out nope he actually had a reason to be all 'Yuri I'm here to be totally gayzos with you'!

This loving anime turned from 'yea this is good poo poo, I like figure skating and gay tension' into one of the best looks at male sexuality in anime that's able to have both gay and straight and platonic and romantic relationships that all feel equally valid and good. It's genuinely one of my favorite animes even when I strip away the 'yay the ice boys kissed!!!!' factor.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's so many levels to appreciate this show on, it's so good.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's genuinely one of my favorite animes even when I strip away the 'yay the ice boys kissed!!!!' factor.

It's kinda why I get irritated with YAOI ON ICE jokes at this point, like, obviously I'm not troubled by yaoi or whatever (not to say there aren't problems with it, but this probably isn't the best place to talk about it) but it's way more complex than that and just saying that because there are gay relationships in it that makes it yaoi is... I dunno why it bugs me so much, maybe it's just that the implication is that it's all just stuff that's not realistic and is just made to please fans when that's been increasingly not the case with every new episode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's kinda why I get irritated with YAOI ON ICE jokes at this point, like, obviously I'm not troubled by yaoi or whatever (not to say there aren't problems with it, but this probably isn't the best place to talk about it) but it's way more complex than that and just saying that because there are gay relationships in it that makes it yaoi is... I dunno why it bugs me so much, maybe it's just that the implication is that it's all just stuff that's not realistic and is just made to please fans when that's been increasingly not the case with every new episode.

yea I'm with you, though in fairness I think 90% of the people making those jokes don't get that 'yaoi' has implications of, yea 'this is just to make fangirls squee' kinda poo poo. I think it's just kinda a general way to say 'this is gay af' at this point.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea I'm with you, though in fairness I think 90% of the people making those jokes don't get that 'yaoi' has implications of, yea 'this is just to make fangirls squee' kinda poo poo. I think it's just kinda a general way to say 'this is gay af' at this point.

that's how i've used it but i'm reconsidering now.

this episode, as with every episode, was magical.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lupus Rufus posted:

that's how i've used it but i'm reconsidering now.

this episode, as with every episode, was magical.

Yea if you wanna get nitty gritty a lot of anime fans, especially gay guys, tend to associate "yaoi" with more fanservice and titillation, usually aimed at straight women. It's hardly some big insult to most of us but yea I'd rather call this gay as heck anime just because it so perfectly avoids the yaoi tropes.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
I was never into Yaoi tbh, and I'm a queer trans woman. I think what sets this show apart from the fanservicey-titillation of the connotations of the word yaoi is that it's more focused on romance than on teasing ridiculous scenarios that maybe could be gay if you squint hard enough. Whoever said this is queerbaitbait is right, this show embraces its own nature like no other. I'm sure it's not the first anime or media that does this but there's something so perfect about it I can't describe.

Is there really anything like this before? Again I'm not familiar with the yaoi genre as a whole and i'm unsure i want to be. I'm asking those more versed in the field if there's anything else like this?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lupus Rufus posted:

I was never into Yaoi tbh, and I'm a queer trans woman. I think what sets this show apart from the fanservicey-titillation of the connotations of the word yaoi is that it's more focused on romance than on teasing ridiculous scenarios that maybe could be gay if you squint hard enough. Whoever said this is queerbaitbait is right, this show embraces its own nature like no other. I'm sure it's not the first anime or media that does this but there's something so perfect about it I can't describe.

Is there really anything like this before? Again I'm not familiar with the yaoi genre as a whole and i'm unsure i want to be. I'm asking those more versed in the field if there's anything else like this?

Most yaoi anime - not all, but most - is characterized by being poorly written, comedic/unbelievable, and generally melodramatic like crazy. There are rare gems in the genre - the Fake manga comes to mind - but for the most part you just don't get anime that feels heartwarming like this while also being free of melodrama and quality.

Like, I just cited Fake but it's full of melodrama, will-they-or-won't-they, and general silliness. It's not a complete package like Yuri on Ice is, and I'll be damned if I can think of a show that is both gay and good without leaving the yaoi genre.

... Which is unfortunate, as I'm a lady who likes reading m/m and f/f and I don't like tragedies or over-the-top-comedy and they seem to be the rule when looking around in the anime world. (I would dearly love to be proven wrong, by the way!)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Lupus Rufus posted:

Itoshi no Nekokke has a bit of the uncomfortable stuff but is mostly a frank, cute story about two guys in a relationship.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/kubo_3260/status/806843079244201985

"People in the real world can think of YOI as they will, but in YOI's world, there's no such thing as discrimination for loving something"
"I will most certainly defend this world, and this world alone"

Soral
May 30, 2009

i haven't stopped thinking about episode 10 since i watched it. this show is too precious for this lovely earth

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I want to know two things:

1) Why does Chris make duck face all the time
2) Why is Chris' dub VO so fuckin' weird

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Soral posted:

i haven't stopped thinking about episode 10 since i watched it. this show is too precious for this lovely earth

<narrows eyes>

are you my boyfriend?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
let us pin down all the progress made in human society over the last decade: goodwill between mankind, welcoming love between people who deeply love one another, make this unimpeachable in the eyes of the public so these advances in human rights may never be rolled back

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

This episode was so good it made the first few episodes even better! :allears:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also i like how this show is not afraid of dating itself, instagram, smartphones, all this will be dead in the next decade or so, but still the show will draw upon its aesthetics and cultural significance and set itself in a specific point in time and space

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Celery Jello posted:

those are two things i love most about Chris

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Imagine your boyfriend being like "Listen, these are just good luck charms ok...ah, yes, I'd like to pay in installments, thank you"

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

FAT BATMAN posted:

Imagine your boyfriend being like "Listen, these are just good luck charms ok...ah, yes, I'd like to pay in installments, thank you"

I was legitimately worried for a hot second when he got called out on the rings that he actually didn't think ahead and realize it'd be interpreted as a wedding/engagement ring and would decide to blow it up by announcing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Celery Jello posted:

1) Chris is fuckin' weird.
2) see 1)

Someone less on a phone than me post the Chris face from the restaurant scene, it's priceless.

• Locked thread