Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alnilam posted:

I feel like I'm coming down with a cold :( i'm going to try to sleep like 12 hours tonight, wish me health

godbless

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hi lyra friend, welcome and nice dragon

joke_explainer

Mariana Horchata posted:

next time u eat cider donuts take a bite and then chew for like 2 seconds - and then take a sip of actual apple cider and it will just dissolve the remainder of the doughnut and merge with its deliciousness before u slam it down and then repeat to ur liking

you can actually eat the whole doughnut in a few seconds by just compressing it into a tiny dough ball, dunking it in cider for a second and then swallowing it, old food contest trick tho guaranteed stomach ache

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Welp, my mom booked 2 rooms at a nearby hotel; 1 for her and her bf and 1 for me and my gf. The wind is gonna get up to 50-60 mph tonight and we have dangerously tall trees all around, so in case they fall they'll be safe but I will miss my messy room all night long.
But luckily, tomorrow there will be a midday snowstorm so at least I get to see some snow early for once :shobon:

Plebian Parasite

alnilam posted:

I feel like I'm coming down with a cold :( i'm going to try to sleep like 12 hours tonight, wish me health

have some zinc, no wait, have some echinacea.

City of Glompton

good evening byob, welcome new friends

alnilam I hope you don't get sick :ohdear:

I hope everyone stays safe if they are in the snowy areas. I worked from home during yesterday's storm, avoiding the 26(!) crashes on the freeway.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Shbobdb

by Reene

joke_explainer posted:

you can actually eat the whole doughnut in a few seconds by just compressing it into a tiny dough ball, dunking it in cider for a second and then swallowing it, old food contest trick tho guaranteed stomach ache

I like to make doughnuts.

I had a friend in second grade whose family were crazy missionaries (I think they were Episcopalians or something like that) and they insisted that doughnuts didn't exist in Europe where they spent many years on mission. So they learned to make them themselves. And they taught me.

A second grader deep frying dough is pretty irresponsible. I'm glad they got kicked out because a senior member of their cult was diddling kids and they called them out on that so they had to flee the country.

But now that I'm an adult, I can fry all the yeast dough I want. It is good and fun. Though I find using sugar water (like juices) often leads to either an overly or an underly sweet doughnut because it's hard to know how much sugar is present unless you want to take a brix reading.

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Munchables posted:

Welp, my mom booked 2 rooms at a nearby hotel; 1 for her and her bf and 1 for me and my gf. The wind is gonna get up to 50-60 mph tonight and we have dangerously tall trees all around, so in case they fall they'll be safe but I will miss my messy room all night long.
But luckily, tomorrow there will be a midday snowstorm so at least I get to see some snow early for once :shobon:

just pretend it's a vacation that you didn't know you were going on! also i hope everything and everyone stays safe.

Shbobdb posted:

I like to make doughnuts.

I had a friend in second grade whose family were crazy missionaries (I think they were Episcopalians or something like that) and they insisted that doughnuts didn't exist in Europe where they spent many years on mission. So they learned to make them themselves. And they taught me.

A second grader deep frying dough is pretty irresponsible. I'm glad they got kicked out because a senior member of their cult was diddling kids and they called them out on that so they had to flee the country.

But now that I'm an adult, I can fry all the yeast dough I want. It is good and fun. Though I find using sugar water (like juices) often leads to either an overly or an underly sweet doughnut because it's hard to know how much sugar is present unless you want to take a brix reading.

i'm glad you survived deep fat frying at a young age and also that you are lived to be an adult so you can enjoy donuts in their many forms, including both doughnut and donut. do you have a favorite recipe? if you wanna share it here or in the Fine Dining Effortpost Funhouse that bo-pep hath made for us, you are welcome to do so. i promise i won't gently caress it up much when i try it. :D

hello and welcome, lyra! i am glad you posted your dragon, and i would like to see more of both dragons. they're frickin adorable.

alnilam, please get some rest and feel better soon and please cordon yourself off so you do not transmit your cold to your wife. use those plastic sheet clean rooms like they used in ET, it'll be normal and good.

Munchables

I just wanna say, I really appreciate all the yobbers and how much they do to make new friends feel welcome and comfort people when they need it. I love BYOB, 10 bux well spent :)

Lyra

:unsmith: :effort: :smith:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaait my Wild Cards tag went away :( how do I get that back?

Munchables

Lyra posted:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaait my Wild Cards tag went away :( how do I get that back?

FluffieDuckie can probably get an admin to plop it back in for you; when you buy an av you have to make sure to put any tags or text back in the text box.

Lyra

Noted! I don't know how I got it in the first place except that an admin put it there years and years ago. :X

FluffieDuckie

Does someone have the address for that tag?

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Matoi Ryuko

Please don't doxx tags

Lyra

FluffieDuckie posted:

Here is a thread post with the tag. Not sure if that helps, but here it is anyway :D

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738#post393227016

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

FluffieDuckie posted:

https://i.somethingawful.com/images/wildcards.png

Palisader

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Hello my friends, I am sorry for busting in like this but work has been so busy that I'm behind like, 10 pages!! I am hoping to get some cool and chill advice. I was hired to be the qa/admin for my dept back in jan, but since then I have also become the trainer and also the back up manager. I get paid the same salary as the agents, though. It'll probably be another few months before I can broach the subject of a raise, but would it be worth it to ask my boss like, hey can I have a new job title and expanded job description? It might help me come raise talks, and it'll definitely help me if they start seriously considering me for a client contact role.

Shbobdb

by Reene

hamjobs posted:

just pretend it's a vacation that you didn't know you were going on! also i hope everything and everyone stays safe.

i'm glad you survived deep fat frying at a young age and also that you are lived to be an adult so you can enjoy donuts in their many forms, including both doughnut and donut. do you have a favorite recipe? if you wanna share it here or in the Fine Dining Effortpost Funhouse that bo-pep hath made for us, you are welcome to do so. i promise i won't gently caress it up much when i try it. :D

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016953-du-jour-doughnuts

Use that, double the sugar and adjust butter/fat as necessary and add 1+1 to the mass of retarded sourdough you have in the fridge. Let it rise a little longer.

If you don't keep a mass of retarded sourdough in the fridge, fix that since it is delicious.

----------------

City of Glompton

Palisader posted:

Hello my friends, I am sorry for busting in like this but work has been so busy that I'm behind like, 10 pages!! I am hoping to get some cool and chill advice. I was hired to be the qa/admin for my dept back in jan, but since then I have also become the trainer and also the back up manager. I get paid the same salary as the agents, though. It'll probably be another few months before I can broach the subject of a raise, but would it be worth it to ask my boss like, hey can I have a new job title and expanded job description? It might help me come raise talks, and it'll definitely help me if they start seriously considering me for a client contact role.

hello, I think it is definitely worth it to ask for the job title/description and also the raise. do you have regular reviews that you can bring this up at?

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

FluffieDuckie

Lyra posted:

Here is a thread post with the tag. Not sure if that helps, but here it is anyway :D

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738#post393227016

ok you're queued. it will show up when an admin gets a minute to clear the queue

Shbobdb

by Reene

Palisader posted:

Bring it up sooner rather than later. Managers generally like "gumption".

Don't ask for a raise, that is asking to continue having the same job. Say you'd like to have a client contact role and what can you do to work towards that. Assuming they are cool and you are cool, they will help you get into that next position. While they are working with you, helping you get to that next place, they have buy in so they'll also make sure you get some sweet raises to keep you interested.

Make your managers work for you.

----------------

Piso Mojado

thats a really cool av lyra

Piso Mojado

also holy crap, the bad thread is back?

Palisader

It's worth noting that I work for a growing baby company of less than 300 people, so I am creating my job as I go. I know my boss already suggested me for the client contact position (which currently doesn't exist, so it's another create as you go position) because he came to me afterwards to moan about trying to replace me.

City of Glompton posted:

hello, I think it is definitely worth it to ask for the job title/description and also the raise. do you have regular reviews that you can bring this up at?

No, but for amusing reasons. My boss never thinks to do it. I went to him a few months back and asked for a review and then had to explain what I meant. I know we don't even have a formal form or review process, mostly because I've not made one yet.

Wow that sounds really arrogant though, it's making me uncomfortable

vanisher

It's always okay

Remember if you're talking to a small business owner, help them understand your commitments and your love for the company.

"I would love to stay here for a while, I really enjoy working here! Since I started X years ago, I've set up my budget to work off the salary we arranged. Costs are going up and I've got (explain life changes) going on. Now that it's Y years since my last raise, and especially now that I'm taking on a lot more responsibility, I'm hoping we can renegotiate my salary a little."

or whatever approach you feel works too

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

vanisher

Use "I think if I could get X dollars per hour, that would really help me out a lot. What do you think is fair?"

that's a good one

Lyra

FluffieDuckie posted:

ok you're queued. it will show up when an admin gets a minute to clear the queue
Awesome, thank you!

Piso Mojado posted:

also holy crap, the bad thread is back?
It never left, my friend. Forever in our hearts. Burned into our souls. Finish the books, George.

Piso Mojado posted:

thats a really cool av lyra
Manifisto made it!

Y'all are pretty great. :3

bean mom

Lyra posted:

Awesome, thank you!

It never left, my friend. Forever in our hearts. Burned into our souls. Finish the books, George.

Manifisto made it!

Y'all are pretty great. :3

I told u! :smugdog:

----------------

vanisher

my wife today:

I like that forum you visit they are funny and nice

Lyra

vanisher posted:

my wife today:

You may have just won at life.

Also, I like you guys so here's another picture of Darwin (with bonus husband!)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FluffieDuckie

awww kisses

Palisader

Oh man I love lizards and other reptiles so dang much :3:

Palisader

vanisher posted:

Use "I think if I could get X dollars per hour, that would really help me out a lot. What do you think is fair?"

that's a good one

This is good! I know I calculated how much I'd need to make so that my husband can stay home with the baby until his daycare costs are cheaper (toddler I think?) and I can use that as a goal. Maybe start slightly above that. I know my boss would throw money at me if he was able to, so the person we need to convince is the operations manager. So maybe "I know we're slammed until after the holidays, but I was thinking that I want to put together a proposal for Bob to see about getting a raise of [blank]. Is that something you think is fair, and would you be willing to support me in that? In the meantime, I was thinking that my job scope has expanded so much that my title is really inaccurate, so I'd like to know if we could talk about modifying it some time before the raise proposal" but a lot more coherently, I'm falling asleep while typing

vanisher

words like fair and reasonable are great

oh negotiation books

bean mom

vanisher posted:

my wife today:

sounds like the wife needs a gift cert for an account!

get to postin`

----------------

bean mom

Then you can be a tag team!

----------------

joke_explainer

Looks like it is going to snow tomorrow.

Munchables

joke_explainer posted:

Looks like it is going to snow tomorrow.

Yeah, around 10ish it'll start and then around midday it's supposed to be a "snowstorm." Drive safe, if you do. There'll be rain and sleet later in the day :(

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lyra posted:

Noted! I don't know how I got it in the first place except that an admin put it there years and years ago. :X

i love your avatar

im glad that h*ck caught on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan

work xmas party this evening i'm going to eat and drink until someone else gets weirded out