Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

[Discussion] Hey /r/childfree! What do you guys do for fun?

I wanted to get to know some of you guys. What types of things are you passionate about?

quote:

Attempting to work in the games industry, either as a community mod or QA tester, it's slow going. For now, a lot of review writing and game guides

quote:

Right now I'm playing a ton of Overwatch and Assassins Creed the Ezio collection

quote:

Mostly just watch anime and play videogames, shipping all the male characters with each other in both. Play MMOs sometimes, and search for RP partners

quote:

Being an introvert with social anxiety that comes and goes I spend a lot of time to myself, I love completely immersing myself into stuff like games, anime, manga, books, movies etc.

quote:

I can spend hours upon hours at a time letting my favorite video games absorb my attention. No feedings or changes interrupt me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Haha awesome, what are the comments like? I know for sure on childfree there would be plenty of people agreeing because they wouldn't want spawn to touch their limited edition Thomas the tank engine figures

Can you give us the title? I just want to peruse

It had no comments when I saw it and I can't find it now.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jeff Sichoe posted:

drat I am legitimately disappointed that I didn't get trolled at the end of that feel good story.

something about right at the end she goes 'I don't know how to tell you this but i'm married already to an ocker called baz'

I'm waiting for the update when Australia kicks him out and he wades through legal tape for 5 years trying to get a spousal visa and a work permit.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tears In A Vial posted:

I wanted to get to know some of you guys. What types of things are you passionate about?

as someone who worked in the games industry, the first one makes me sad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don't work in games, it makes you bad.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tears In A Vial posted:

I can spend hours upon hours at a time letting my favorite video games absorb my attention. No feedings or changes interrupt me.

...not even my own.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

supernatural blonde posted:

I'm waiting for the update when Australia kicks him out and he wades through legal tape for 5 years trying to get a spousal visa and a work permit.

Yeah, I didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat about that story, but I was kind of thinking "so, uh, how long is he going to be able to stay in Australia pre-marriage? Or post-marriage, for that matter? Does he, like... have a job? Pretty sure Australia doesn't give out Grand Romantic Gesture Visas." Also, in an alternate universe, someone is posting in r/relationships about how her delusional ex found her even after she left the country, months after the relationship ended, and is still convinced they're "soulmates" and trying to propose, and HER FAMILY LET HIM IN WHAT THE gently caress

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Tears In A Vial posted:

childfree more like adultfree am i right haha

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pick posted:

Don't work in games, it makes you bad.

It will kill your soul, but also yes the people are generally bad

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Can someone tell me how to do a self-hysterectomy? (self.childfree)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

loquacius posted:

like, even if you WERE the worst parent ever and decided to give that a go, what babysitter would even agree to this

Wow look at this guy what never heard of people of other religions

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

It will kill your soul, but also yes the people are generally bad

One of my friends went into games and it made him bad. Or at least it kept him from developing as a person the way he needed to as to not hurt others.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat about that story, but I was kind of thinking "so, uh, how long is he going to be able to stay in Australia pre-marriage? Or post-marriage, for that matter? Does he, like... have a job? Pretty sure Australia doesn't give out Grand Romantic Gesture Visas." Also, in an alternate universe, someone is posting in r/relationships about how her delusional ex found her even after she left the country, months after the relationship ended, and is still convinced they're "soulmates" and trying to propose, and HER FAMILY LET HIM IN WHAT THE gently caress

I'm somewhat sure it's easier for a fat goon to pass through the eye of a needle than to enter Australia. Being married cuts no ice with them. The OP should have picked a different country for his story as it's hard to suspend disbelief.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Goons have to be cynical and pick apart everything. JUST LET PEOPLE ENJOY THE ONE HAPPY STORY!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jenner posted:

My [23f] new bf [27m] of 3 months is either a disney character, crazy, or a liar.

Just so we're clear I would marry the gently caress out of this guy and demand his eagle BFF be the best man or ring bearer.

I hope he named it Avenger

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Goons have to be cynical and pick apart everything. JUST LET PEOPLE ENJOY THE ONE HAPPY STORY!
Yeah geez, I promise that no part of my brain thought about immigration law even a little bit while reading that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

In the evocative titles series:
Me [30F widow] with my newish boyfriend [31M] of 10 months, feeling worried about his heroin addiction that causes him to lie. How can I trust him?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lone Goat posted:

Wow look at this guy what never heard of people of other religions

*kramers out the window* I'm Jewish, that's what's so crazy about this

Pick posted:

One of my friends went into games and it made him bad. Or at least it kept him from developing as a person the way he needed to as to not hurt others.

It only made me and everyone else I know who ever worked in games "bad" in that we all wasted years of our lives doing poo poo work in pursuit of a ridiculous dream, and all the while the good jobs were unattainable because the people who already had them were being downsized and the entire area's games scene was slowly collapsing on itself and every company is now gone and now we're all slightly more bitter and cynical

Hi, GBS, I was once told, by a team leader at a game company where I worked, to study up and hit the books and one day maybe I too could be a programmer. I had a Master's degree in computer science from an Ivy League institution, that team leader never loving once in his life designed a game that didn't fail miserably, and I was given a dev job and paid more money the second I left the games industry in favor of a tech company that wasn't actively dying. It turns out that being the only subcategory of tech with more interested and qualified applicants than job openings has done some really horrible things to gaming companies' upper management. Just do something else, anything else, and code up little game apps in Unity in your spare time to scratch that itch. Trust me.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

In the evocative titles series:
Me [30F widow] with my newish boyfriend [31M] of 10 months, feeling worried about his heroin addiction that causes him to lie. How can I trust him?

this guy is in a band, lives in LA, and his initials are presumably DJR, BEGIN THE WILD SPECULATION

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lmao the fact that it's christmas eve didn't even occur to me

I like how she told the lady "What, just get a babysitter!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Someone asked, so: anti-natalism is the position that suicide is not bad, and birth is not good. Afaik it's developed most thoroughly in Sarah Perry's Every Cradle is a Grave, which (again afaik) was sparked by Thomas Ligotti's non-fiction-or-is-it philosophy horror-story The Conspiracy Against the Human Race.

I seriously doubt either of them would ever go to a midnight Harry Potter release.

eta: I remember now how Perry summed it up; it's the belief that "life is unfortunate."

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 8, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I was kind of taken aback the other week because I saw someone's lower legs for the first time in around 12 years of knowing them. It was like, woah, legs!

CNN desk reporter Jim Acosta?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Doc Hawkins posted:

Someone asked, so: anti-natalism is the position that suicide is not bad, and birth is not good. Afaik it's developed most thoroughly in Sarah Perry's Every Cradle is a Grave, which (again afaik) was sparked by Thomas Ligotti's non-fiction-or-is-it philosophy horror-story The Conspiracy Against the Human Race.

I seriously doubt either of them would ever go to a midnight Harry Potter release.

eta: I remember now how Perry summed it up; it's the belief that "life is unfortunate."

That is completely hosed up and totally stupid

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hi welcome to the Something Awful Forums

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My[21F] little sister[16F] has a problem with my nudity

quote:

I like to be naked in the comfort of my own home. I have some sensory issues where I cannot tolerant the feeling of some materials, and as kid it was a particular struggle to dress. I guess that carried onto adulthood because I still will be naked at any given opportunity.

Several months ago, my younger sister decided that she no longer wanted to live with my parents. My mom is the kind of parent who can be rather suffocating. She really cares for us but has a habit of nagging etc to the point that you just have to get out of the house.

My mom was devastated when my sister moved out, but my dad figured my sister would miss home soon enough and return.

In the meantime, sister has been living with me. She knew I was a nudist before moving in. She's now decided that it's super weird for me to be naked at home and starts screaming at me any time she sees me naked.

The biggest thing seemed to be when she brought her boyfriend over (the source of most of her fights with our mother) and he saw me cleaning while naked. The important note here is that she didn't tell me he was coming over! Of course I would've dressed had I known!

And yes, I know it's not normal but I pay for my house and support myself and feel that I should be able to come home and relax in the way I see fit.

Sister tells me she won't move back home but also won't stand for me to be naked anymore.

tl;dr: sister is anti nudist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My friend [20/F] is trying to convince me [20/F] that my boyfriend [21/M] is going to cheat on me because he can get into bars now and "that's what bars are for".

quote:

Hi Reddit. I need some help.

My boyfriend just recently turned 21 -- and where we're from, that's the legal drinking age, which means that he can get into bars and I can't. I could get into a bar if I wanted to, but I personally don't want to. Just mentioning this to make it obvious that I know nothing about bars.

Anyway, my boyfriend goes out to bars sometimes. I don't really care. I trust him and I know that he just likes to drink. The only thing that I'm ever worried about is his safety, otherwise, I don't even think twice about what he's doing. (He goes with his friends). My boyfriend has even asked me to tag along with him, but again, I just don't want to.

One of my close friends is convinced that he's going for no reason other than to potentially cheat. She keeps telling me that I shouldn't let him go. I'm getting really tired of hearing this from her. There's no reason for her to think this. She just thinks that bars are where guys go to get drunk and pick up other women and that no one goes to a bar for any other reason and that someone will hit on my boyfriend.

I came here to look for some advice on what I could tell her. Does anyone with experience in going to bars have anything that I can say to her to help her understand that it's not however she thinks it is? I'm going to tell her to stop asking me about it but I want to also mention how bars really are. I understand that some men may go to pick up women but I would like to hear advice about those that don't.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense but any help would be appreciated.

tl;dr: Bf goes to bars. My friend is convinced he will cheat and won't stop pestering me about it b/c she thinks bars are where all men go to cheat. I'm tired of it and want to know what I could possibly tell her.

I don't think I was this clueless when I was 20

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Hi welcome to the Something Awful Forums

A genuine thanks for the chuckle

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

This post will get me trap sprung and yada yada, but Ligotti's book is pretty solid if over-floridly written. It's clearly a build up from his deep depression and is overall a really interesting experiment in bridging themes from his horror fiction and reality.

I don't know anything about Perry, though it shouldn't surprise you that the "Life kinda sucks" idea didn't start with either of these relatively recent authors.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Add some celery and carrots and you have yourself a mirepoix

Late reply: mirequim?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

loquacius posted:

I just read a very depressing story of animal cruelty on r/relationships and this story brought a sorely needed hearty laugh, thanks

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I think the 'no depressing stories' ban should be lifted because at the end of the day these are written by redditors who are not real people just hollow shells

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's no ban on it, just a small amount of bitching. I don't think anyone wants to read about pets being tortured or whatever though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

A genuine thanks for the chuckle

That came off as more sarcastic than I thought but that is the unofficial motto here.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pick posted:

Read this out of context and thought you were talking about the subforum.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

quote:

My [24M] girlfriend [24F] is much more sexually/emotionally experienced than I am, and it’s making me insecure.

Me and my girlfriend have been together for about 1 ½ years and things for the most part have been fantastic. We love each other very much and have even discussed marriage and raising children. She is in grad school about 2-3 hours away while I work full time, so we don’t really get to see each other that often, but we make time to see each other almost every weekend.

I was suffering from self-esteem issues in high school/college and never dated anyone before her. I developed depression as a result in college and ended up going over 3 years without having sex until meeting her (only times I have had sex before then were three or four one night stands, I have doubt as to the actual number because I was blackout drunk a few of the times…). She has consistently had boyfriends since she was in high school and had been sexually active the entire time (from what I understand).

Pretty much consistently throughout our relationship, I have been suffering from premature ejaculation (all those years just jacking off…) which has killed my self-esteem but she has been nothing but supportive the entire time. We have been trying different methods to overcome this and have started seeing some improvement recently and I couldn’t be more appreciative of her patience. However, something happened recently that brought my self-esteem back down again…

We were talking about sex a few months ago and she mentioned that she had an ex that had such a huge dick that it hurt her and she broke up with him over it. For whatever reason this made me feel insecure, like I was inferior, but I knew that I really had no reason to feel that way so I said nothing about it. Typical stupid male penis envy. Fast forward to last week and out of the blue she mentions a few of her exes had bigger dicks than me and that she didn’t consider me big. This absolutely devastated me. I feel more insecure than ever; like I can’t please her anymore and she will never be impressed/excited about my dick. She tried to comfort me after she realized she messed up by telling me that my dick was “fine” and that “she liked it”. I felt like I’d been stabbed in the eye. This severely compounded my already considerable sexual insecurities due to my PE.

I spoke to her about that and how I felt insecure about my sexual abilities and needlessly jealous of her exes since I had none. After a lot of talking she suggested the idea of an open relationship. Either we would take a break from each other and I could experience dating, or see other people while staying together. I would be free to go on dates and hook up with other women; she was even going to set up my tinder profile for me. I wasn’t into the idea for multiple reasons, mostly because I didn’t want to end up hurting her, and I had a feeling she wasn’t into the idea, just wanted to help me with my problems.

The thing that gets me the most is that I feel like I have no justification in feeling like I do. I shouldn’t feel jealous or resentful because she has had many boyfriends; it’s not fair to her at all. I don’t resent her at all for being sexually experienced, it’s really just a problem within me, I wish I had the same experience. It shouldn’t make me feel down thinking about her sexual past, but it does, probably because she has one and I really don’t. I feel like maybe she was right in seeing other women for a time will close that “sexual experience gap” and I’ll be a little more secure in myself and more comfortable. This has been eating away at my mind the past few weeks and is making me miserable. She is a wonderful person and outside of this problem we have an amazing and loving relationship. We’ve had beautiful lovemaking sessions recently and I know she would never propose the idea of an open relationship if she didn’t love me. How can I overcome this so I can become the lover I want to be/she deserves? How can I not feel hurt when she has done nothing wrong (except the dick size comments)? Has anyone else been in a similar situation where an open relationship was the answer?

As for the whole penis size thing, I have no idea how to overcome that… I thought I was big until that happened…

TL;DR - I don't have much of a sexual history and that has always haunted me. My girlfriend has a rich sexual history and that among other things is making me feel horrible about myself. She treats me incredibly well and I love her very much and I know I have no right to feel this way.

Society really does a number on people when it comes to sex.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I've taken the ages out of the headline, because I think it'll be more fun if you discover them naturally.

My boyfriend of 9 months, I found out he was lying to me about a few things including his age?

My boyfriend and I met online and have been in a LDR for 9 months. We didn't add each other on most social media because it was only sexual at first, mainly video chatting on snapchat and skype, sometimes talking about shows we both liked and life. We decided I would go on a trip to visit him in a year when I turn 18, so it was starting to get serious.

This week when I searched for his first name and his city I found out he has a newish facebook profile (100% it's him through the pics) and tons of friends, so I stalked him a little. I found his mom and looked at her profile. She posted a status about her son's 30th birthday 3 years ago but he told me he was 27 last January. She also had pics of him with a girl who she called his girlfriend from 9 years ago. I then saw that this same woman likes all his posts and comments on his pictures and statuses with hearts and flirty stuff, but her profile says she's in a relationship with someone else so I don't think he's cheating with her, but I think it's pretty inappropriate to when you're seeing someone. He never told me about her.

I was pretty upset when I saw all this so I messaged him yesterday and we talked. He said she was a friend and that they'd never dated, which contradicts his mom's post, unless he was lying to his mom. He admitted he lied about his age but said it was because he was afraid I'd block him. He said it was only a few years and said he wanted to bring it up but he was so scared since we started dating more formally.

I'm feeling pretty bummed out over this since we had all these plans together and I've never dated anyone before or had a sexual relationship with anyone. I don't know if I can trust him again. He made everything on his facebook private as we were talking which is also really shady. I don't really have any friends at my school (my family moves every year or two) so he was the only person I talked to so often in the last year. He has been sending me messages all day today and yesterday but I've been ignoring them. Has anyone patched up a relationship after something like this? I just want to go back to the way things were, he is a really nice guy otherwise, I was so excited for our future.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lol at that dudes girlfriend suggesting an open relationship after telling him about her big dicked exes. He ain't gonna get laid and she knows it. But she will. And this poor idiot is gonna agree to it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
17 and 33? :stare:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Gaunab posted:

Society really does a number on people when it comes to sex.

I know that "emotionally experienced" in this context means "has had more relationships," but somehow I can only picture it as SHE'S BEEN HAVING EMOTIONS FOR SO MUCH LONGER THAN I HAVE, WHAT DO I DOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This one's different but everything is out in the open pretty early.

quote:

I like to be naked in the comfort of my own home. I have some sensory issues where I cannot tolerant the feeling of some materials, and as kid it was a particular struggle to dress. I guess that carried onto adulthood because I still will be naked at any given opportunity.

Several months ago, my younger sister decided that she no longer wanted to live with my parents. My mom is the kind of parent who can be rather suffocating. She really cares for us but has a habit of nagging etc to the point that you just have to get out of the house.

My mom was devastated when my sister moved out, but my dad figured my sister would miss home soon enough and return.

In the meantime, sister has been living with me. She knew I was a nudist before moving in. She's now decided that it's super weird for me to be naked at home and starts screaming at me any time she sees me naked.

The biggest thing seemed to be when she brought her boyfriend over (the source of most of her fights with our mother) and he saw me cleaning while naked. The important note here is that she didn't tell me he was coming over! Of course I would've dressed had I known!

And yes, I know it's not normal but I pay for my house and support myself and feel that I should be able to come home and relax in the way I see fit.

Sister tells me she won't move back home but also won't stand for me to be naked anymore.

If I were 16 and saw my gf's 21 year old sister naked I would tease her about it forever and at the most inappropriate times.