Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Here's Pete and Mr. Anderton drinking with another Danish guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Got this sucker velcroed on and its everything I could ask for in a drive. Responds really well with my volume/tone knobs and my picking dynamics.

Interestingly enough, it sounds way better (like twice as good) when I combine it with my amps distortion. The JC distortion is just a knob that clicks after 1 to turn on. All I do is click it to its lowest position and it seems to cradle the drive's tone with some warmth and tame the sharp edges of it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
kinda curious about picking up one of those boss waza amps once they're discontinued and the remaining stock gets dumped at closeout

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

The Muppets On PCP posted:

kinda curious about picking up one of those boss waza amps once they're discontinued and the remaining stock gets dumped at closeout

same .5 w head sounds dope af

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i wonder how big the markdown will be

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

i wonder how big the markdown will be

just going to wait for teh markdown and then buy one used even cheaper :getin:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I never realized that Fractal's AX8 is only $1,300. That's insane. These stupid modeling amps need to stop tempting me every 3 months!

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

I never realized that Fractal's AX8 is only $1,300. That's insane. These stupid modeling amps need to stop tempting me every 3 months!
I'm waiting another year or two before I go ham on one. Then again I did preorder the new Fender pack for Amplitube because I'm scum

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you can already get used axe-fx units for under a grand

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Anyone here have a Super Champ X2? I just picked up a cheap one used for my little bro.

I read up on it first and heard these things can get decently loud compared to other 15 watters.

But I just brought it home and cranked the clean channel to 10 (E: max) and it didn't even phase me. Even my JC 55 gets ear splittingly loud around half way up.

philkop fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 10, 2016

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think the Helix @ $1499 is the best deal of them all.

peter gabriel posted:

He's the oldest edgelord on the net, he really tries a bit too hard. He seems to know his stuff but the impenetrable wall of zany attitude puts me off

The video where he ends the Spider V 30 review by smashing it is the dumbest poo poo. I don't even think he knows his stuff, he just has a schtick that the kinds of folks who don't create anything musically but can tell you exactly why X piece of gear sucks lap up.

He's a loving jagoff.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 10, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey now he had a guest producer credit on a remix of some queensryche song from a few years back, he's obviously an industry veteran

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think the Helix @ $1499 is the best deal of them all.

I want to love the Helix. The interface and design imo is the best of any modeler. My issue is that based on dry recorded sounds the AX8 wins out by far. The Helix still has that fizzy high end that Line 6 products have and it's not something I care for at all. Fractal stuff sounds far more natural and organic to my ears but this is judging solely based on YouTube/sound clips.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
So I have an Acoustic control corp 134 4x10 combo. It has what I suspect to be a a bad speaker. I want to try plugging into another speaker cab to confirm a bad speaker but naturally there are no mention of ohms on the speaker out jack or the speakers themselves. Downloaded the manual and it doesn't mention the ohms either. I have 2 speaker cabs, a 16 ohm Krank cab rated at 300 watts and a 8 ohm crate rated at 120 watts. Is it safe to assume I can plug it into one of my cabs to test without damaging the amp or cabinets? If it sounds fine through a speaker cabinet then I would probably convert it into a head and use it with the krank since the amp is rated at 200 watts. My gut tells me it would be fine through the krank but I thought I'd ask here since I am paranoid about ruining gear.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

A quick googling indicates the amp is probably 4 ohms. link

Another page claimed it was switchable from 4-8. Maybe that was a later refinement, or a head model. I didn't look too hard. Anyway, either cab should be safe.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Gorgar posted:

A quick googling indicates the amp is probably 4 ohms. link

Another page claimed it was switchable from 4-8. Maybe that was a later refinement, or a head model. I didn't look too hard. Anyway, either cab should be safe.

Cool. Gonna test it out in a bit. Thanks.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Do you have a multimeter? Take a DC resistance across the cab input. Your reading will be slightly below the AC impedance.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

jwh posted:

Do you have a multimeter? Take a DC resistance across the cab input. Your reading will be slightly below the AC impedance.

Yep, confirmed 4 ohm output. For whatever reason after I moved it the rattle/buzz I was hearing stopped. I haven't turned it on in awhile and wanted to show someone else what it was doing before trying another cab. It worked and sounded fine. It is ultra loud. I guess problem solved for now.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I would open it up, and just tighten the screws that attach the speaker to the baffle. I found a few loose ones, last time I opened my cab.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Pokey Araya posted:

I would open it up, and just tighten the screws that attach the speaker to the baffle. I found a few loose ones, last time I opened my cab.

Do this!

I bought a secondhand bass cab in nearly new condition for around half price, couldn't figure out why it was so cheap while I was testing it. First time I turned it up loud it rattled like hell. Tightened the speaker bolts and the screws holding the tweeter in, problem solved. 20 minutes work to take it all apart, tighten everything up, and put it back together. Saved around 300-400 bucks.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I popped the back off one my late 60s/early 70s Kustom bass cabs to find the source of a rattle and found the rubber piece from the end of a cane and a Baltimore Orioles AM radio. :iiam:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

After The War posted:

I popped the back off one my late 60s/early 70s Kustom bass cabs to find the source of a rattle and found the rubber piece from the end of a cane and a Baltimore Orioles AM radio. :iiam:

:lol: this is wonderful

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm guessing that, at some point in the distant past, a little kid thought the amplifier looked hungry and decided to feed it through the speaker ports. And what else would an amp eat but tiny transistor radios? :ms:

And the rubber cane piece because... naugahyde? :shrug:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Do not turn that radio on.

Burn it immediately and scatter the ashes in running water.

No time for any questions, do it right now. The running water part is important.

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right
This looks like a cool thread.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Looked in the Twin because of this thread and found these treasures, a drum felt thing and a badge

I feel like an archaeologist!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Looked in the Twin because of this thread and found these treasures, a drum felt thing and a badge

I feel like an archaeologist!

I can't believe you took those out. You fool! What about your tone?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

...and the pitch! posted:

I can't believe you took those out. You fool! What about your tone?

The badge is true bypass but I have definitely lost some top end by removing the drum wotsit thingy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
nobody left any cool prizes in my amps :saddowns:

e: wait that's not true one time i found a rusty screw in an old crate gx 130

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 11, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

nobody left any cool prizes in my amps :saddowns:

e: wait that's not true one time i found a rusty screw in an old crate gx 130

That rusty screw could have been off an old maritime wreck like the Mary Rose, good find imo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sadly no it was from the chassis

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sadly no it was from the chassis

So not potentially from the stage at the original Woodstock?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Nobody found a small hatch with some bags of weed or a brick of coke in a 412 yet?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Verizian posted:

Nobody found a small hatch with some bags of weed or a brick of coke in a 412 yet?

One of my favorite news stories in the last 10 years is that somebody bought Willie Nelson's old tour bus and found weed stashed in such a hatch.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

AlphaDog posted:

Do not turn that radio on.

Burn it immediately and scatter the ashes in running water.

No time for any questions, do it right now. The running water part is important.

This was years and years ago. I think I actually put it back in there. Y'know, just to be safe.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Verizian posted:

I did find a tiny ancient dimebag in a used vinyl copy of Axis: Bold as Love, though. :2bong:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

I did find a tiny ancient dimebag in a used vinyl copy of Axis: Bold as Love, though. :2bong:

did he come with a tiny ancient dean ml and tiny ancient randall amp?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

did he come with a tiny ancient dean ml and tiny ancient randall amp?

Nothing quite so :rock:. Unlike my favorite in-amp discovery (this conversation inspired me to open it up tonight and finally get a picture):

Yes, I have the most Punk Princeton. No wonder, it's a '77.

Happy 40th birthday amp, you gently caress!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's the general opinion on Lower wattage Fender Bassbreakers? There's a 007 head that's less than 300 bucks and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I LOVE my bassbreaker 15 combo. Do some research on your particular model. I am currently having mine serviced under warranty for a noisy effects loop. Great sounding amp though. Really enjoy the concept of a "Marshally" Fender.