Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

highly recommend reading the top probe in this guy's rap sheet

Hahaha, I'm a-gonna blame the admins for that one

It's hilarious but there's a long delay between when reports get made, seen, queu'd, and approved and that kinda thing happens every so often as a result, largely because the forums coding is miraculously bad

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

Thats it, thanks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I seem to remember an older science fiction story about how the existence of 'color' was some sort of... viral or mimetic transmission? So previously everything was black and white but then eventually people started seeing color? I've tried googling it but only get lists of people of color who've written science fiction.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

I seem to remember an older science fiction story about how the existence of 'color' was some sort of... viral or mimetic transmission? So previously everything was black and white but then eventually people started seeing color? I've tried googling it but only get lists of people of color who've written science fiction.

I hate to say the obvious, but it's not "The Giver," is it?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thetechnoloser posted:

I hate to say the obvious, but it's not "The Giver," is it?

Definitely not The Giver.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pham Nuwen posted:

Could it possibly be Shades of Grey By Jasper FForde?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could it possibly be Shades of Grey By Jasper FForde?

This sounds really cool and I want to read it, but I'm pretty sure it was a short story.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Sounds a lot like one of the SCP short stories, except for the older part.
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-8900-ex

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

This sounds really cool and I want to read it, but I'm pretty sure it was a short story.

It owns bones, but is also really obviously meant to be the first book of a trilogy, and he hasn't written the sequels yet. :argh:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well there's some studies that maybe that's true. http://www.sciencealert.com/humans-couldn-t-even-see-the-colour-blue-until-modern-times-research-suggests
"This all suggests that, until they had a word from it, it's likely that our ancestors didn't see blue at all. Or, more accurately, they probably saw it as we do now, but they never really noticed it."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

No. No more dancing! posted:

Sounds a lot like one of the SCP short stories, except for the older part.
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-8900-ex

I think I remember seeing this SCP at one point but I'm also pretty sure I read the story I'm describing in an older collection of stories
I went through my Hugo Winners collections yesterday but found nothing.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

There was a Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin's dad explained that's the way the world worked in the B&W movie era...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
there was once a weird sci-fi fantasy book I got from the library in the 90s that involved dragons and magick, and every chapter was a pun on "wyrm", earthwyrm, tapewyrm, etc, but somehow crossword puzzles were also heavily involved. The book had them, and they were involved in the story somehow.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm thinking of a book series that was more like a mini RPG/CYOA adventure thing? There was a thread of it in Lets Play a while back and i kind want to get into but for the life of me i can't of the title? If it helps i think Quest was in the title somewhere? You followed along with a piece of paper and used dice to keep track of stats and the like.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm thinking of a book series that was more like a mini RPG/CYOA adventure thing? There was a thread of it in Lets Play a while back and i kind want to get into but for the life of me i can't of the title? If it helps i think Quest was in the title somewhere? You followed along with a piece of paper and used dice to keep track of stats and the like.

There have been a bunch of these, usually called "gamebooks" or "adventure gamebooks". Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, and Way of the Tiger are the ones I remember being played on these forums. Wikipedia has a list; perhaps one of the titles there will jog your memory? There are a bunch of ending with "quest".

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Ah yes thanks for the help! It was GrailQuest. I didn't realize i had so many choices when it comes to Gamebooks though.

Might have to pick up more than a few of these.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home has a bunch of the Lone Wolf books available for free (and legit) online.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Splicer posted:

https://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home has a bunch of the Lone Wolf books available for free (and legit) online.

They're also available as an app for both iOS and Android: http://lonewolfthegame.com/

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Ah yes thanks for the help! It was GrailQuest. I didn't realize i had so many choices when it comes to Gamebooks though.

Might have to pick up more than a few of these.

Grailquest is wicked funny writing, they're underrated gems.

I want to track down the Frankenstein gamebook from the same author that had an equipment list with things like 'intestines, spare (50' coil)' on it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I've legit been playing these Lone Wolf books all day and i can't stop please help :v:

Although thank god for the magic of the internet because the website has a handy stats tracker and thing that automates combat, because combat seems a bit unintuitive, having to constantly look at a chart otherwise.

I mean not that combat is particularly hard or interesting after getting the Sommerswerd in the second book since the thing is so broken, but i do at least like these stories enough to keep interested in the neat progression of power it's got going on.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 22, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
There are Let's Plays on these forums of a lot of the Quest series. Merlin is really a dick.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I mean not that combat is particularly hard or interesting after getting the Sommerswerd in the second book since the thing is so broken, but i do at least like these stories enough to keep interested in the neat progression of power it's got going on.

IIRC from the Let's Read on these forums, it's completely possible to miss the Sommerswerd entirely, leading you to constantly get the poo poo kicked out of you in every subsequent book.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

ToxicFrog posted:

IIRC from the Let's Read on these forums, it's completely possible to miss the Sommerswerd entirely, leading you to constantly get the poo poo kicked out of you in every subsequent book.

From what i've experienced thus far you'd be about on par or maybe a little weaker than most of the enemies without it yeah. The final bosses of these books are jerk asses though. Especially with my recent playthrough of Castle Death, EVERYTHING in that book wants to kill you and is super strong even with Sommerswerd.

How in the world does the story of the second book even finish without you getting the sword though? I suppose through very bad luck you can lose the ring and not get it back from those gently caress rear end fishermen that take everything you have. Or you could be dumb and sell it to the potion shop lady for a couple of useless sleep potions or whatever.

Do you happen to still have the link to that Lets Read? Would be interested to see how that went.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think I remember from the Let's Read that later books realized how overpowered the Sommerswerd made you, and certain boss enemies would actually power up in response to its presence if you had it with you. Like, to the point of it being overall a liability compared to other powerful weapons that got introduced.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ToxicFrog posted:

There is no path through book two - the quest for the sommerswerd - that doesn't end with you getting the sword.

...with the sword the odds are massively against you at the end of book 9 IIRC.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.
I remember this short story i read in the late 80s or early 90s:

A bunch of people commission a sculpture for a park or something, when they unveil it, itīs a weird metal construction, all angles and rust. One of them takes it home for some reason i donīt remember and sticks it in his garden.
After a few days he starts noticing things in the scultpure, angles are different, dimensions are all wrong, it turns out that the sculpture is slowly growing, he saws a piece off and over time the piece starts growing too, the fillings from the time that he sawed it start growing as well. I think he describes them as "tiny dragonīs teeth".

Anyway, it starts to attract attention, i remember one of his friends notices that if you place the palm of your hand against the sculpture you can feel itīs pulsating. The thing is still growing and changing shape and stuff, it even falls over at one point. They try to contact the guy that build the thing but no-one can find him, he is gone. So they decide to take the thing apart, which they do and ship it to a junkyard. By the end of the story they realize that the junkyard would have recycled the pieces of the sculpture, and the metal would end up in cars, appliances, tools, toys, everywhere. And still growing.

Another one iīm trying to find:

This was a young adult\teenager adventure novel of sort.

It was about three teenagers that travel in time, it begins with one of them narrating the adventure to a scientist friend of him. The three of them traveled in time but where not sure if to the past or future, they arrive in an open field and find footprints that they notice are of feet covered in skins or fur, one of them mentions how the other two are very good at tracking and reading prints and stuff. They think they are in the past, but later on they are walking and come across an invisible barrier of sorts, they notice that they can throw rocks and sticks through it, but when they try to walk through it they feel so much pain they canīt get through.

Night falls and they see lights moving in pairs in the distance outside the barrier. They decide that the lights are like those of cars or vehicles moving along a road and they now realize they are in the future. They figure out where the center of this barrier would be and when they get there they find a circular lake with an island in the middle and a building in it. They explore the building and find a piece of metal that they take with them. The guy carrying the metal falls sick and they realize that the thing is radioactive, they think that the building used to be part of a nuclear plant or lab and that the invisible barrier is a containment shield to prevent the radiation from escaping.

Thatīs all i remember from that story, but i do remember that the book was part of a series, there was a list of other titles (that i canīt remember) in the book jacket, and i think the theme of them all was this three guys traveling in time and having adventures.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Gehenomm posted:

I remember this short story i read in the late 80s or early 90s:

A bunch of people commission a sculpture for a park or something, when they unveil it, itīs a weird metal construction, all angles and rust. One of them takes it home for some reason i donīt remember and sticks it in his garden.
After a few days he starts noticing things in the scultpure, angles are different, dimensions are all wrong, it turns out that the sculpture is slowly growing, he saws a piece off and over time the piece starts growing too, the fillings from the time that he sawed it start growing as well. I think he describes them as "tiny dragonīs teeth".

Anyway, it starts to attract attention, i remember one of his friends notices that if you place the palm of your hand against the sculpture you can feel itīs pulsating. The thing is still growing and changing shape and stuff, it even falls over at one point. They try to contact the guy that build the thing but no-one can find him, he is gone. So they decide to take the thing apart, which they do and ship it to a junkyard. By the end of the story they realize that the junkyard would have recycled the pieces of the sculpture, and the metal would end up in cars, appliances, tools, toys, everywhere. And still growing.

This sounds like JG Ballard's Venus Smiles

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

Mover posted:

This sounds like JG Ballard's Venus Smiles

That was it! I just read the synopsis and there are parts i donīt remember, i must have read an abridged edition or something. Thank you very much.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I remember a few chunks.

It was set in India
I'm pretty sure it was by a Canadian Author but I also thought it was Michael Ondaatje and that turned out to be wrong
It's about a boy who gets orphaned (in a flood I think) and goes through his life where he poses as a bunch of different people. I remember him being a prostitute, a British soldier, and some kind of aristocrat. He's androgynous and fair skinned so he's able to pass for a bunch of different things.
I also remember the cover looking kind of like a Turkish rug, and I remember the title having something like Chameleon or Faceless or something along those lines.

I read it sometime between 1999 and 2003

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

Retro Futurist posted:

I remember a few chunks.

It was set in India
I'm pretty sure it was by a Canadian Author but I also thought it was Michael Ondaatje and that turned out to be wrong
It's about a boy who gets orphaned (in a flood I think) and goes through his life where he poses as a bunch of different people. I remember him being a prostitute, a British soldier, and some kind of aristocrat. He's androgynous and fair skinned so he's able to pass for a bunch of different things.
I also remember the cover looking kind of like a Turkish rug, and I remember the title having something like Chameleon or Faceless or something along those lines.

I read it sometime between 1999 and 2003

Sounds like The Impressionist by Hari Kunzru. Check out the summaries at Amazon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

calicokitty posted:

Sounds like The Impressionist by Hari Kunzru. Check out the summaries at Amazon.

Yes! thank you, that was driving me nuts

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
SF short story, probably published within the last ten-twenty years? Post-apocalyptic, follows some kids who grew up after their parents died or something. Earth entered a region of weird physics or something, and multiple-foot-long spiky crystals suddenly shot out of every electronic device in every direction and that's why almost everyone died ten years before the story began.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

SF short story, probably published within the last ten-twenty years? Post-apocalyptic, follows some kids who grew up after their parents died or something. Earth entered a region of weird physics or something, and multiple-foot-long spiky crystals suddenly shot out of every electronic device in every direction and that's why almost everyone died ten years before the story began.

This sounds like the plot of Eden: It's An Endless World by Hiroki Endo. Except it's a manga, not a short story.

Edit: And the thing that killed off the parents was a virus, but the crystals are linked to the virus iirc.

froglet fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 5, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

froglet posted:

This sounds like the plot of Eden: It's An Endless World by Hiroki Endo. Except it's a manga, not a short story.

Edit: And the thing that killed off the parents was a virus, but the crystals are linked to the virus iirc.
Definitely wasn't a manga, but I should probably give that a read, so I'm not complaining.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
My wife recently remembered a story she read in which the character notices architectural features growing spontaneously onto buildings and other pieces of urban design. The character unsuccessfully attempts to document this, and eventually tries to meet with a professor of architecture, but then that professor's office disappears. This sounded pretty familiar to me as well, and we're thinking it may be a story within a novel, maybe something by David Foster Wallace.

Also, I saw that someone just posted a scenario pretty similar to the above one, but I suspect that it's not Ballard.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Apparently I like to hit up this thread with long shots.

The book I'm looking for was probably published in the 70s, although late 60s is also possible. It's a terribly earnest and cheerful nonfiction book, possibly even a textbook, meant to teach older children about nutrition. I'm pretty sure it had lots of pen-and-ink illustrations; I'm absolutely sure that it wanted to make some distinction between calories and kilocalories and it did this by referring to kilocalories as Calories with a capital 'C'. It would talk about how a certain food contained 100 Calories or whatever and it was just weird.

I got hit with nostalgia for one of the recipes in the book. A weird eggless eggnog-like drink. Nutmeg was involved. Now it's going to drive me crazy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Picayune posted:

I got hit with nostalgia for one of the recipes in the book. A weird eggless eggnog-like drink. Nutmeg was involved. Now it's going to drive me crazy.

Eggless eggnogs seem to uniformly (upon extremely cursory internet searching, but I looked at four different recipes) be milk/cream, instant vanilla pudding, sugar, nutmeg, liquor (rum or bourbon) to taste.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flip Yr Wig posted:

My wife recently remembered a story she read in which the character notices architectural features growing spontaneously onto buildings and other pieces of urban design. The character unsuccessfully attempts to document this, and eventually tries to meet with a professor of architecture, but then that professor's office disappears. This sounded pretty familiar to me as well, and we're thinking it may be a story within a novel, maybe something by David Foster Wallace.

Also, I saw that someone just posted a scenario pretty similar to the above one, but I suspect that it's not Ballard.
The male main character works with an older lady professor for a while and then her office vanishes after she makes her big breakthrough or whatever and then nobody's ever heard of the professor. It was a short story, I think. Can't nail it down at all, though.

Is that the one? I... feel like I've read it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The male main character works with an older lady professor for a while and then her office vanishes after she makes her big breakthrough or whatever and then nobody's ever heard of the professor. It was a short story, I think. Can't nail it down at all, though.

Is that the one? I... feel like I've read it.

It's a comic I think, the strange items are called anomalies I think? I did some halfhearted googling but can't find it.

e: Got it! http://www.viruscomix.com/page567.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Ah! Thank you! I completely failed to come up with any search terms for that.