Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Policenaut posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with Costlemark Tower?

I visited it to get the gem for Dino and to get the Royal Arm that I was missing, did most of the entire dungeon and in doing so found the gem then found this awful cube puzzle at the bottom of the ruins that doesn't seem to work. There are 6 cubes: the four in a square, the one near the middle, and the one on the far left. The only one that works is the one in the top right on the square, so I clear that and come out on the one near the middle, find the cube on the far left has left without me so I drop down and fight the Red Giant and friends, and all I find down there is a vault door and another inactive cube. From there, all I can do is go up back the way I fell from and none of the other cubes work. I can repeat the first cube I did on the top right and the one on the far left but aside from that, none of the rest work. I read online that it's been trouble for other people and they suggested saving/reloading, which I tried and it did not help, waiting until it's night because that apparently involves the cubes but that makes no sense because I can still use the other cubes even in the day, and simply redoing the dungeon, which I tried and it glitched out the same way, so I have now killed two hours on a pain in the rear end dungeon and have no idea what I'm doing wrong, how to fix it, or how to avoid the problem altogether.

That maze is the worst, I ended up just using a guide because you have to not only enter the maze from a specific cube, you also have to take a very specific path through the cubes. Here's the guide I used if you want it, the section for the maze is under How To Get To The Boss http://www.gamersheroes.com/game-guides/final-fantasy-15-dungeon-guide-castlemark-tower/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Their combat systems are widely praised and are mostly identical to other games in the SMT series which a lot of people play for gameplay so, nah. You're being dumb.

Who the hell praises Persona 4 for its combat?

El Hefe is still being dumb though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

Who the hell praises Persona 4 for its combat?

El Hefe is still being dumb though.

A... lot of people? Almost every positive review for the game both professional and not?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i roll everything about fusing effective personas into the 'combat' umbrella so like, yeah, persona games have pretty decent combat mechanics with that included.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I guess I'm just out of touch then since Persona combat is just really really average.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

El Hefe posted:

waifu wars is the only thing people care about Persona, dungeons are secondary.

tho I haven't played 5 and I heard they actually bothered to design some dungeons so that might change

Actually my favorite P4 moment is when I got Hassou Tobi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

I guess I'm just out of touch then since Persona combat is just really really average.

It uses almost the exact same combat system as the bulk of the SMT games which themselves are generally praised for offering fast-paced turn-based combat that offers a ton of flexibility, encourages use of buffs/debuffs/non-combat mechanics, and offers multiple difficulty modes allowing for more punishing or simple gameplay. Generally in terms of well-recieved combat systems the SMT games do better than pretty much any mainline turn-based RPG system on the market (which is admittedly not the highest praise at the moment).

They're easy games unless you're a masochist who plays on higher difficult levels but there are extremely few punishing turn-based JRPGs period and the SMT games actually have a reputation for being 'hard' (that is probably ill-deserved but whatevs) for RPGs so while they're easy for people who play a lot of JRPGs they apparently hit the right sweet spot to be considered difficult for the average player.

Outside of maybe Bravely Default I can't think of another modern JRPG that has gotten praised for its combat system that isn't an action/pseudo-action game like Tales or FFXV. I guess World of Final Fantasy maybe, or one of the Etrian Odyssey games. (Though the latter are more praised for character customization options.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 8, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you want to go game awardsy, Souls have been called rpgs for years

maybe that phone valkyrie profile game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Good grief Expericast magic. Just gained five levels from using a few expericast blizzara's and turning in two quests then sleeping in Lestallum.

I like this EXP system.

e: What do I need to ascend in order to use two items in Elemency?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Good grief Expericast magic. Just gained five levels from using a few expericast blizzara's and turning in two quests then sleeping in Lestallum.

I like this EXP system.

That's weaksauce, son.

I fully expect someone to figure out a way to reliably gain 99 levels in chapter 1 or so just by exploiting expcast

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What is Expcast

In fact how do you do anything other then fire/blizzard/thunder? Is it a story thing? The only "neat" thing I've found is just if I cram all 3 in a jar I get mystery box potion

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What is Expcast

In fact how do you do anything other then fire/blizzard/thunder? Is it a story thing? The only "neat" thing I've found is just if I cram all 3 in a jar I get mystery box potion

Use the bottom option to add items. There's no Thunder/Aero or anything like that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What is Expcast

So that circle where you select which element to use? The bottom one is for items to use as catalysts that will augment the final spell it crafts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Megasabin posted:

You are happy with the sidequests? Are you the magical person who absolutely loves Ubisoft open world game design?

Ubisoft open world design knows how to let you flow from one objective to another, here you have 5 second pauses after every quest update, turn-in, dialogue, and vehicle interaction

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What is Expcast

The bottom circle lets you add items. Certain items (Rare coins among the most effective) give you the ability to earn exp with a magic cast. Properly used you can trivially gain tens of thousands of experience points per cast.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Re: "Engage the Empire"

let me get this straight...

Let me just camp at the conveniently close Haven before I infiltrate the base. Oh? I need to go back to camp and camp again to advance the quest? Hmm.

The enemy is far too strong to attack head on! Let's infiltrate...and massacre the entire base anyway? Alright.

Ramuh deigns to assist me! Press L2. Hold L2. Press L2. Hold L2 even longer. He finally appears when my party is wiped and Noctis is near death. Was that scripted that way? How do summons work?

Really bad quest overall.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Magic in general is more powerful than it's ever been in the series. Basically get that skill that raises magic by twice the number of levels earned and the one that increases potency by 30, along with upgrading these accordingly. Even difficult enemies like Coeurls and the Catoblepas don't stand a chance against a badass spell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Let me just camp at the conveniently close Haven before I infiltrate the base. Oh? I need to go back to camp and camp again to advance the quest? Hmm.

The enemy is far too strong to attack head on! Let's infiltrate...and massacre the entire base anyway? Alright.

Ramuh deigns to assist me! Press L2. Hold L2. Press L2. Hold L2 even longer. He finally appears when my party is wiped and Noctis is near death. Was that scripted that way? How do summons work?

Summons just take ten billion years to go off, it isn't scripted it's just annoying.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Deified Data posted:

You have to hold L2 for like 5 uninterrupted seconds for it to go off. There's no communication to the player about this fact and the UI doesn't change to acknowledge you pressing L2 or anything. I had to pause the game and look it up to make sure my L2 button hadn't died.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
What separates XV from technically better games for me is that I really, really like the characters.

Maybe the Nier comparison is apt

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ardryn posted:

That maze is the worst, I ended up just using a guide because you have to not only enter the maze from a specific cube, you also have to take a very specific path through the cubes. Here's the guide I used if you want it, the section for the maze is under How To Get To The Boss http://www.gamersheroes.com/game-guides/final-fantasy-15-dungeon-guide-castlemark-tower/

Thanks for this!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Is the King of the Great Escape hunt in Altissia bugged? I literally one or two shot the guy and was like wtf?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

this Mars DLC is pretty neat

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They really took a page out of FFVIII when designing the level up system, if not as blatantly broken.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Finished the game and put around 80 hours into it so far, including most side quests and a couple of the post game dungeons. I'm loving it, tho I agree with (almost) all the things that the thread has mentioned as being bad, especially the gaping holes in the nonsensical plot. Might be the first game I platinum, tho I feel like that's mostly down to it being really easy to platinum. A lot of things don't give trophies that I feel would've been trophies/achievements in literally any other game.

I'm also kind of a special case because I honest to god never played a single FF game in my life save for the PS4 FFX remake and World of FF (which doesn't really count I think) so make of that what you will.

I'll write a more thought out post when I slept some. It's almost 7 in the morning right now so you guys will have to wait for my musings a bit (I'm sure you can't wait). I do have a few questions tho.

Firstly, all the people posting about the crazy magic they crafted.. I admittedly have all my guys at level 94 at the moment but even just doing a 99 potency spell and throwing some items in there for experience or multi cast gets me to the 9999 damage limit EASILY and has done so since I was level, I dunno, 60ish maybe? Did you all spend the insane amount of AP to limit break magic or are you just happy about a big potency number and wasting a lot of materials?

Secondly, did people really have such a terrible time with chapter 13? I mean I didn't think it was good or anything but it really didn't stand out to me as THE poo poo chapter. All I did was suck the life outta all the lowbie guys and the axemen or whatever that you're supposed to hide from just got sucked into a black hole every time. It takes like 10 seconds for your MP to regenerate at worst. To be fair I think Noctis was already around level 65 at this point so maybe that's why I had such an easy time with it? I'm really kind of surprised it's apparently such a thorn in everyone's side that they want to patch that specifically.

Personally I thought it was way more jarring that when you get the prompt that you're leaving the open world for "some time" for the very first time (I forgot the which chapter, maybe 4 or 5) it took all of maybe five minutes before I was right back into open world shenanigans. They do this a couple of times during the game and while I appreciate the heads up the game doesn't really have a "point of no return" so I feel it causes people to panic more than they need to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

gently caress, I didn't know that I was heading into a chapter break and ended up being forced to cash in 25k of experience at 1.0x instead of 1.5 :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

abraxas posted:

Secondly, did people really have such a terrible time with chapter 13? I mean I didn't think it was good or anything but it really didn't stand out to me as THE poo poo chapter. All I did was suck the life outta all the lowbie guys and the axemen or whatever that you're supposed to hide from just got sucked into a black hole every time. It takes like 10 seconds for your MP to regenerate at worst. To be fair I think Noctis was already around level 65 at this point so maybe that's why I had such an easy time with it? I'm really kind of surprised it's apparently such a thorn in everyone's side that they want to patch that specifically.

It isn't that it is hard. It is that is boring and tedious and incredibly overly-long. It's not at all hard but they cut off most of your gameplay mechanics for it so you're just doing the same poo poo over and over while exploring basically identical hallways. (Which is why I don't know what a patch can do for it.)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gently caress, I didn't know that I was heading into a chapter break and ended up being forced to cash in 25k of experience at 1.0x instead of 1.5 :negative:

Keep multiple saves.

Also, I'll ask again: anyone know how to add a second item as catalyst? Saw someone mention it upthread. Do they mean just multiple items of a single kind or multiple unique items as catalysts?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Soul Glo posted:

Keep multiple saves.

One of the best and most underrated QOL features is that this game has two auto save files.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

First off, yes. Everyone should aspire to hit the heights the Witcher 3 does. Like I'm not going to expect it from everyone but I sure as hell am going to expect it from huge developers whose primary focus is making rpg's like Square and Bioware.

Second off, the sidequests in this game aren't even as good as the ones in older games in the series and especially don't compare to even basic rear end ff14 sidequests and those weren't usually something to write home about.

Honestly, how poo poo the sidequests are is a bigger wart on this game, to me, than the lacking narrative.

It's great that the bar has been raised, but just being a well known, big RPG developer doesn't mean they are capable of actually doing it consistently or if ever at all. There is no way in hell the current Bioware for example, will ever hit the incredible heights of the Bloody Baron quest line no matter how many Mass Effects or Dragon Ages they throw out. They simply don't have that caliber of writers or just don't care enough to. I never played any Persona games or FF14 before though, so no comments there.

Anyway, I don't mean to sidetrack the conversation. Back to the chocobros!

Noirex fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 8, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm 13 levels over the story so maybe it was for the best anyway

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

El Hefe posted:

For real though, Personas have good story but really bad gameplay.

Persona 3 and 4 are actually really well-made turn-based RPGs that hit a sweet spot of difficulty between the assfucking nonsense of some of the other SMT games and the FF6 thing where you can just sort of spam your most powerful commands without regard for anything like buffs, status conditions, etc.

I know other people have said that but it should be reiterated. The only reasons I can imagine someone not liking their gameplay are if they don't like turn-based games, or if they despise the VN stuff and story so much they can't tolerate it between dungeons.

And re: FF15, massively overleveling the story seems important at the end. There's enemies in the final area that are ridiculously hard, so unless you're supposed to just flee from anything I'm not sure how the gently caress you're meant to kill them at level 45 or w/e.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm 13 levels over the story so maybe it was for the best anyway

Lol if you aren't at least 20 levels over the story

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Noirex posted:

It's great that the bar has been raised, but just being a well known, big RPG developer doesn't mean they are capable of actually doing it consistently or if ever at all. There is no way in hell the current Bioware for example, will ever hit the incredible heights of the Bloody Baron quest line no matter how many Mass Effects or Dragon Ages they throw out. They simply don't have that caliber of writers or just don't care enough to. I never played any Persona games or FF14 before though, so no comments there.

Just because the broad majority of "open world RPGs" are actually kind of garbage doesn't mean that they shouldn't be expected not to be garbage. That's sort of the point, the Witcher 3 did it so right that it has essentially shamed everyone else who dares enter the genre in the process. With FFXV being the successor to the biggest JRPG franchise in the U.S. it is not unfair to compare it to a relative newcomer who was one of the most widely praised games in the genre it was itself entering.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Question: I'm on chapter 10.

Is there open world stuff basically done? Do I always have to use umbra to go back in time?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Is there open world stuff basically done? Do I always have to use umbra to go back in time?

Yes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man I'm really confused then but I guess it'll sort itself out.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Rascyc posted:

Yes, but there will be some new content post-game and some other stuff that you probably weren't able to do before unless you were extremely overleveled on purpose. And you can stay back in time for as long as you want, so using the dog isn't as annoying as I thought it was going to be the first time. I was worried it would reset to present day every time I rested or something since you can only use it at a rest point, but it's very unobtrusive.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

These are the items that can create Expericast along with how you get them:

Cockatrice Crest - Exp Bonus Level 2 - Cockatrice Drop

Fine Crest - Exp Bonus Level 3 - Royalisk Drop

Magnificent Crest - Exp Bonus Level 5 - Kingatrice Drop

Old Book - Exp Bonus Level 3

Debased Coin - Exp Bonus Level 4

Debased Banknote - Exp Bonus Level 6

Debased Silverpiece - Exp Bonus Level 8

Rare Coin - Exp Bonus Level 12

Arapaima Roe - Exp Bonus Level 30 - Can be bought for 100,000 Gil in Altissia, Won in the Arena for 240,000 medals, or Gladio's tour at Vesperpool that involves fishing (lol)

So one bang for the buck way to do this is..
Pick an element plus 8x rare coin to get an Expericast Level 96
3x arapaima roe gets you an Expericast Level 90.

Make all your magic then combine these with exp boosters in Altissia. Eat the 100% exp buff Lasagna (8000 Gil), go fight some poo poo and use all your Expericasts, then sleep at the 3x exp hotel (30,000 Gil).

air- fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ok so does expericast only have an effect on the caster, as it says in the menu? I've already accepted that Noctis is going to be higher level than the rest of the party but I don't want him to be that much higher.

• Locked thread