Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Keep in mind that a large part of the Liberals, especially Abbott, don't think that their policies were the issue. They think they didn't sell them properly and, more importantly, they didn't go far enough.

All the poo poo Abbott pushed was actually the watered down versions in the hope they'd get past the Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He's just a loving idiot. Should've waited until Abbott got to the election and got crushed if he didn't think he could change policy after being made leader.

That would have lead to him being leader of the opposition, not PM.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah, the push for Turnbull came from the backbench on the back of Abbott's numbers. It's OK for the high profile members as they keep their seats. The rest are out.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
loving Hillsong has their own channel on foxtel
As well as a channel for those born again Jews who believe Jesus is the messiah but we are still Jewish we swear!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
For 3 years, and then ushered in a thousand year reich. Now he gets 3 years of being PM, irreversibly damages his image, and the liberals have absolutely no other talent waiting in the wings.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bernard Keane put up a number of interesting points on this in yesterdays 2016 roundup podcast:

* Malcolm Turnbull is the winner and loser of 2016 (because horse-race).
* The real problem is that noone has any idea, and populism is the only thing to do besides twiddling thumbs.
* Every time they try a narrative, Brandis fucks something up and disrupts it.
* Despite populism, no one in the political class is seriously talking to the people (I think this is the first time I've heard a major journalist actually say this out loud).
* Nick Xenophon and the Xenophones
* Turnbull has a nuanced agenda that doesn't make sense AND he can't articulate it clearly.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He's just a loving idiot. Should've waited until Abbott got to the election and got crushed if he didn't think he could change policy after being made leader.

Turnbull belongs to the past, he might have done well after Fraser (but was totally unsuitable back then anyway), but now we have a political/social strata that believe stepping on everyone else to grab the next rung. Anyone trying to be a PM for everyone has to completely ditch that and face down their own party and no one in any party here has that kind of guts. We've all looked at the alternatives, we know there's gently caress all. How do they fight the next election? How does anyone?

The macro political problem is that we're a commodity markets exporter and retail market importer, as such we're completely at the mercy of world markets. Just decouple what the government actually does with the money they DO get, they don't have much control beyond that, so populism is all that's left and it's warping politics. And the politics of interdependent economics via transnational corporations is doing the same thing to other nations. Look at how the NT is a microcosm of Australia (because they depend on their money), Australia is the microcosm of the world scene. No one can afford to be protectionist, and no one has control.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 8, 2016

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's not really, because the visuals clash with the message as well as the context. The roo in the second panel should have a similarly confused look as the one in the video and have missed the punch, because Turnbull had already gone down.

This is just CONSERVATIV STRONK! Rather than, 'Turnbull's really loving poo poo at controlling his party room and keeps folding'.

My standards are low enough that "did I chuckle?" is my metric for good pol cartoons.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Here is a quick snapshot of Malcolm Turnbull’s year:

His personal approval rating crashed a jaw-dropping 45 points. He started losing Newspolls - six in a row since September. He announced the biggest reform to the tax system “in generations” on the side of a rugby league field. He dumped the idea two days later. His #IdeasBoom, the centrepiece of his personal agenda announced at the end of last year, has largely disappeared and become a national laughing stock. He was rolled in cabinet on negative gearing. He toyed with and then didn’t reform the GST. He moved the Budget forward a week. He called a historic double dissolution election to get rid of a “feral” cross bench. He won a one seat majority. His closest moderate allies were turfed. He was left with a worse cross bench. He got Pauline Hanson, who brought with her three extra senators. He was forced to introduce a marriage equality plebiscite, which he personally opposes. It then failed to pass the parliament, leaving Australia as one of the only English-speaking western democracies without equal marriage rights. His Coalition partners threatened to dissolve the government if he tried to hold a free vote on same-sex marriage. He gutted the Safe Schools program. His new government was the first in 50 years to lose a vote in the House of Representatives. His scandal-prone attorney general busted up with the government’s solicitor over a $300m legal case and is expected to be off to London any day now. His defence minister doesn’t know if she’s the most senior defence voice in the cabinet. His assistant treasurer accidentally voted against the government. His indigenous affairs minister’s interest was not “piqued” by the abuse of teen boys at a Northern Territory detention centre. He’s been forced to call a review of the Racial Discrimination Act to quieten angry conservatives. His environment minister called for a review into emissions trading, which lasted 33 hours before it was dropped. His party’s right wing openly lobbied for Tony Abbott to return to cabinet and the former PM warned he would keep speaking his mind in the media. He oversaw the economy’s steepest decline since the global financial crisis. And finally, his signature legislation, the ABCC, scraped through the Senate with an amendment that left unions free from key parts of the new laws for two years.

On any measure, it looks like a rough year for Turnbull.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Grouchio posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38218118

Religious leaders push for Muslim alternative to Peppa Pig. I'm sure that won't backfire at all.
I'm looking for a Snopes article because this is the kind of thing that ends up on Facebook every 3 months

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Jesus loving christ I knew it.
Turns out it is bullshit.

quote:

MEDIA STATEMENT:
Thursday, 8 December 2016
SHEIKH SHADY ALSULEIMAN ASKS “WHO IS PEPPA PIG?”
Sheikh Shady Alsuleiman was shocked to learn from media sources today that he had called the British cartoon Peppa Pig a corrupting influence. “Today is the first time I came to know of the program,” said the Sheikh in astonishment.
It seems that the headline used by the Australian newspaper, “Peppa Pig a corrupting influence for Muslim children, say leaders,” may have started the whole unnecessary furore. The headline incorrectly implies that Sheikh Alsuleiman made the disparaging remarks about the cartoon. In fact, the body of the news report correctly quotes him endorsing the concept of producing religious alternatives while stating clearly that children should not be stopped from watching different cartoons. The Sheikh’s comments came from a video in which he endorsed the producers of Islamic cartoons. In the video, Sheikh Shady Alsuleiman made no specific mention of Peppa Pig nor criticised non-religious cartoons.
The full video can be watched here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1WtA5u_uss

This ridiculous media frenzy about the Peppa Pig cartoon is based firstly on a misleading headline and secondly on an insatiable appetite by some media outlets to misrepresent and embellish the reality for sensationalist propaganda purposes. It seems that the silly season is in full force.

Looking forward to reminding people that this one is fake every 3 months as well.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 8, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

OK, am I missing something or is that pretty much what the BBC article said? Was it edited at some point?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lol Turdbull thinks that teacher activism/protests is why our PISA scores are slipping/kids are not getting taught properly

loving lmao

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hey guys, I know the answer, it's PRIVATE TUITION!

Yes! with the liberal application of Private Tuition™ you too can have a shining example of Best Practice™!

poor families need not bother

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ewe2 posted:

Hey guys, I know the answer, it's PRIVATE TUITION!

Yes! with the liberal application of Private Tuition™ you too can have a shining example of Best Practice™!

poor families need not bother

And that's also why Singapore has a very large disparity between the 5th and 95th percentiles

Really though, Australia has a similar level of disparity already so it's still pretty poo poo

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Recoome posted:

lol Turdbull thinks that teacher activism/protests is why our PISA scores are slipping/kids are not getting taught properly

loving lmao

The black armband view of Australian history rots minds.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

ZombyDog posted:

Jesus loving christ I knew it.
Turns out it is bullshit.

Looking forward to reminding people that this one is fake every 3 months as well.

Where did you find this blurb from? I've seen a few people swallowing the poo poo and want a link to refer them to

edit: nvm, it's on his Facebook.

hawaiian_robot fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 8, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

EXCLUSIVE
December 8 2016 - 6:37PM

Government killed emissions scheme despite knowing it could shave $15 billion off electricity bills
Adam Morton

The Turnbull government has been sitting on advice that an emissions intensity scheme - the carbon policy it put on the table only to rule out just 36 hours later - would save households and businesses up to $15 billion in electricity bills over a decade.

While Malcolm Turnbull has rejected this sort of scheme by claiming it would push up prices, analysis in an Australian Electricity Market Commission report handed to the government months ago finds it would actually cost consumers far less than other approaches, including doing nothing.

It finds that would still be the case even if the government boosted its climate target to a 50 per cent cut in emissions by 2030.

Assuming average electricity use, the modelling by Danny Price of Frontier Economics found costs would be $11.2 billion lower over the decade to 2030 if the government introduced the scheme and met its existing climate target.

It suggests it would bring down the cost of cleaner gas-fired electricity and renewable energy, offsetting an increase in the cost of high-emissions coal power.

Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg flagged this sort of scheme for the electricity industry would be considered as part of a long-promised climate review, but was forced to backtrack after opposition from conservative government MPs opposed to any form of carbon pricing.

The modelling is part of a group reports on the future of energy to be discussed by the Prime Minister and state premiers ahead at a COAG meeting in Canberra on Friday.

They include a preliminary report into the future security of the electricity market by chief scientist Alan Finkel, which warns that Australia has no clear path to meeting the 2030 emissions target taken to the Paris climate deal under existing policies.

While it makes no recommendations, the Finkel review cites the market commission, Australian Energy Market Operator and Climate Change Authority as all having found an emissions intensity scheme would have lower costs and less impact on energy security than other policies considered.

It comes in a week in which Mr Turnbull launched an aggressive attack on Labor over its support for emissions intensity trading as well as a 50 per cent renewable energy target.

Interviewed on Melbourne radio station 3AW on Thursday, Mr Turnbull contrasted Labor's position with the government's determination to keep prices down, and said the government would not impose a carbon tax or an emissions trading scheme.

"I just want to be very, very clear that energy prices are too high already. We will do everything that we can to put downward pressure on energy prices," he said.

Under all scenarios considered, the modelling in the commission report seen by Fairfax Media found an emissions intensity scheme was the cheapest option for consumers and business.

That remained the case if the emissions target was beefed up from a 28 per cent to a 50 per cent cut by 2030 compared with 2005 levels. Under the latter consumers and businesses would still pay $3.4 billion less than if no policy was introduced.

If demand for electricity was higher than average, the collective saving on electricity bills was estimated to be $15 billion.

An emissions intensity scheme sets a limit on how much a power station can freely emit for every unit of power generated. Cleaner generators that emitted less than the limit earn credits, and sell them to high-emitting plants above the baseline.

Supporters say it means coal would effectively subsidise cleaner power. They say the scheme would also encourage a greater range of types of cleaner power, which would increase competition and further reduce costs.

The commission, which sets the rules for electricity and gas markets and has long supported an emissions intensity scheme, was asked to provide guidance to COAG ahead of next year's climate policy review.

The Finkel report was commissioned to give extra advice after the unprecedented statewide South Australian blackout in September. It says the energy system is undergoing its biggest transition since the 1890s as it shifts to lower-emissions energy, a change it says cannot be reversed.

It says there will be significant challenges in adjusting the system to run on a growing supply of intermittent renewable energy, rooftop solar power and battery storage.

COAG will also hear a push form South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill for a states-based emissions trading scheme, though is unlikely to be receive wide support.

Energy and business groups have called for a national bipartisan plan to help plan an orderly transition to cleaner energy, warning a failure to do so would increase both prices and the risk of blackouts.

Mr Turnbull's office did not respond to questions on Thursday, and Mr Frydenberg was in Antarctica and unavailable to comment. Mr Price also declined to comment.

Labor climate spokesman Mark Butler told a press conference that Mr Turnbull has turned energy policy into a shambles and thrown Mr Frydenberg under a a bus.

Climate Institute deputy chief executive Erwin Jackson said without a plan the government risked turning Australia into a third world economy.

"This path will lead to no investment in aged electricity infrastructure, higher electricity prices, growing energy insecurity and escalating health and carbon pollution costs," he said.

:shepicide:

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Recoome posted:

loving lmao

Is there an article or something about this?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

They just keep on finding new and creative ways to shoot themselves in the dick. Incredible.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

screaden posted:

Is there an article or something about this?

You might be looking for this

quote:

Malcolm Turnbull has condemned teachers planning to wear T-shirts with messages protesting offshore detention of refugees, labelling the plan “absolutely inappropriate”.

From next week a group called Teachers for Refugees plans to wear shirts with messages including “close the camps, bring them here”, calling for an end to offshore detention on Manus Island and Nauru.

A spokeswoman for Teachers for Refugees, Lucy Honan, told Guardian Australia 500 teachers in Victoria and more in New South Wales would take part.

Asked about the protest on Melbourne’s 3AW Radio on Thursday, the prime minister said the protest was “absolutely inappropriate in classrooms” because “teachers should be focused on teaching”.

Turnbull linked the activism to recent poor results in science and maths and the three-yearly international Pisa standard, noting “our ranking has gone backwards” in the tests.

“There is a lot of work to be done in our schools, and it doesn’t involve political campaigning.”

Honan said it was not surprising that Turnbull and the federal government wanted to silence the protest, noting the Border Force Act prohibited teachers who worked in offshore detention from speaking out about conditions there.

Honan said the protest would still go ahead because teachers were “very good at standing up to bullying” and had strong support from the Australian Education Union and refugee advocacy groups.

The federal education minister, Simon Birmingham, has reportedly written to his Victorian and NSW counterparts, urging them to ensure teachers were aware of their requirements under policies.

“Parents rightly expect teachers to have the education of their students as their priority and not a focus on ­advocating a political position,” he wrote.

A spokeswoman for the Victorian education department said that teachers in government schools “are free to support causes in their own time but they should not use their professional position to make political statements”.

“Principals can advise teachers about how they can take part in this type of activity and still comply with their obligations as teachers.”

Honan said the community expected teachers to stand up against the abuse of children and the treatment of children in Nauru constituted “mass scale abuse”.

She said teachers had a right to political opinions and protest. The group was not concerned about possible disciplinary consequences because they were confident in their numbers and the tide of public opinion, Honan said.

That's right, teachers are the enemy because they have consciences. Not, apparently, our PM.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Source? Great summary.

I would think the knives are out for him soon except I cannot imagine who the Coalition would vote for instead, even if Bishop was acceptable if she's got half a brain she wouldn't take it now, not under these circumstances. Plus I think people don't appreciate she is also a disaster waiting to happen who just hasn't been given the opportunity yet.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Knobb Manwich posted:

They just keep on finding new and creative ways to shoot themselves in the dick. Incredible.

THE GOVERNMENT IS ACTUALLY ANIDAV

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blamestorm posted:

Source? Great summary.

I would think the knives are out for him soon except I cannot imagine who the Coalition would vote for instead, even if Bishop was acceptable if she's got half a brain she wouldn't take it now, not under these circumstances. Plus I think people don't appreciate she is also a disaster waiting to happen who just hasn't been given the opportunity yet.
They would seriously consider putting Abbott back in.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Blamestorm posted:

Source? Great summary.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/malcolms-2016

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They would seriously consider putting Abbott back in.

I don't know. When Labour stuck Rudd back in at the tail end of the term before last it was in hope of saving them from at total electoral wipe out. Abbott was so incredibly unpopular I can't imagine anyone would think that would improve their chances next election. But I admit I can't think of anyone who wouldn't do as badly or worse. Dutton clearly has his eye on the prize, his recent poo poo stirring about Fraser and immigration policies was clearly him thinking he was playing fifth dimensional chess by keeping refugees on the political agenda.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Blamestorm posted:

Source? Great summary.

Can you imagine Bernadi, Christensen, Abetz etc taking instructions from a woman?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Can you imagine Bernadi, Christensen, Abetz etc taking instructions from a woman?

Well Frydenberg has just destroyed himself, so I'm running out of ideas. They have one of the worst frontbenches in modern Australian political history.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Blamestorm posted:

Well Frydenberg has just destroyed himself, so I'm running out of ideas. They have one of the worst frontbenches in modern Australian political history.

imo it'll be either Morrison or Toned Abs

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

ewe2 posted:

You might be looking for this

That's right, teachers are the enemy because they have consciences. Not, apparently, our PM.

Thanks.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Its gotta be Bishop. Who else do they have that isn't pure poison? She is only 50% poison.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Who chopped his head off?

E: Can you just say 'not Peter Dutton' to save confusion from now on?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

I thought Morrison was shot because he's now glued to Turnbull having turned his back on the glorious TA plus has underwhelmed everyone as Treasurer.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Tokamak posted:

Its gotta be Bishop. Who else do they have that isn't pure poison? She is only 50% poison.

And the other 50% is asbestos

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

norp posted:

And the other 50% is asbestos

loving beaten

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...08-gt6v48.html.

"Mr Frydenberg was in Antarctica on Thursday and unavailable to comment. Mr Price declined to comment."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bacon found on Sydney hospital prayer mats

Hmmm I wonder who may be behind this. If only there was an extremist group who has a history of doing stunts like this in the past??

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh no teh bacons we will die now - average muslim

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Recoome posted:

Bacon found on Sydney hospital prayer mats

Hmmm I wonder who may be behind this. If only there was an extremist group who has a history of doing stunts like this in the past??

What a horrible horrible waste of perfectly good bacon. I could have made a sandwich out of it :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Among those who stuck through both Abbott and Turnbull, I can imagine few who would then jump ship iver Bishops law past.

• Locked thread