Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The mod author is saying, "Hey, my mod was featured in this compilation by a youtube personality" which means that if you clicked on those videos, maybe one fifth of the time or less would be spent on the mod in question. The compilations all have T&A for the reasons that have been discussed above. Note that the one video which features only the earmuffs has a normal thumbnail.

e: as to your issue when browsing the nexus, make sure you have CBBE/Bodyslide, anime, and skimpy unchecked in your settings as well as "adult" files; most of those mods are going to be about "provocative" armor as well, and you can safely remove them. I have all off, and almost never have to sort through endless waifu dolls and dresses to get decent content.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Horizon dude just posted some patch notes for 0.993 so if you're considering Horizon, I'd wait a couple days. This is a big one

quote:

Just an update on the next patch..

It's very large, so I'm taking my time to make sure numbers are tuned well, and new game mechanics are working properly. The patch notes alone are going to take up half of this notes section.

It's contains:
- Weapon and weapon mod rebalancing
- New weapon mods (replaces some existing ones)
- NPC changes / health tuning
- Body part vulnerability changes
- Critical damage overhaul (works in/out of VATS now)
- Sneak attack changes
- New ways to cure individual illnesses by themselves
- VANS Navigation and Grenade Throwing Arc, can now be toggled on/off with a consumable item
- Crafting stations requirement/ingredient changes when building them
- Settlement Resource Utility: The Steel Yard - Produces steel
- Domesticated crops are separated into their own objects now, and it fixes some display/repair problems with other crops
- Clean ammo box fix
- Added antibiotics, tools, and an extra bandage to starter containers in Sanctuary
- Consuming water/liquor/nuka gives you an appropriate empty bottle

Possibly:
- Thirst/Hunger/Sleep will effect the amount of healing you gain with medical supplies
- Tweaks to how purified water is produced through the resource manager

The weapons/NPC part is only halfway done. I'll need at least a few more days. And the patch after will most likely continue more NPC/weapon tweaks and changes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Fallout:NV anti-crash beta isn't fixing my Win 10 crash issues. Any other suggestions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shbobdb posted:

The Fallout:NV anti-crash beta isn't fixing my Win 10 crash issues. Any other suggestions?

Have you put any other mods on it?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Is there a mod compilation/overhaul like Project Nevada available for this game yet?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wish there was a mod that made companions just.. be there for the banter and otherwise do nothing. As a sneaky, stealthy sniper character they're pretty useless to me at best, and at worst they mess up my sneaking and get in the way. When they do help in a fight it makes everything too easy... but I still want to try having companions at least once since I actually like a lot of FO4's. Nick, Deacon, Hancock, Curie and Longfellow are all pretty cool and it's a shame I'm missing their stories and banter just because Bethesda refuses to make companions work for half the playstyles. :(

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Just look at MxR and his 1.5 million subs based off Skyrim and FO4 "sexy" mods and some normal content. His thumbnails are 90% skimpy pictures and she shows adult mods by blurring the images/video.

1.5 million is a pretty big number for that kind of mod review/let's play channel.

Now look at other channels that don't cover adult mods (Brodual at 300k, Gopher at a few hundred thousand, etc...) and you'll see why people do that :v:

Your Computer posted:

I wish there was a mod that made companions just.. be there for the banter and otherwise do nothing. As a sneaky, stealthy sniper character they're pretty useless to me at best, and at worst they mess up my sneaking and get in the way. When they do help in a fight it makes everything too easy... but I still want to try having companions at least once since I actually like a lot of FO4's. Nick, Deacon, Hancock, Curie and Longfellow are all pretty cool and it's a shame I'm missing their stories and banter just because Bethesda refuses to make companions work for half the playstyles. :(

Yeah even dog can act like a moron sometimes, stands still as you snipe 2-3 enemies and then pops out of cover and draws a fatman/rocket your way and gets you killed or exposed. Lone Wanderer perk is my true best friend.

Some have a sneak rating of 0 or close to it (Curie and Danse being the worst I think). Just get two power armors and tank everything :)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Disco De Soto posted:

Is there a mod compilation/overhaul like Project Nevada available for this game yet?

Horizon if you want survival gameplay

OP needs to add it to the OP
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374/

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 8, 2016

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Honestly the freakiest thing about all those skimpy mods are the ones where they don't even seem to notice they're doing it. Like there'll be one called "Better Piper" that just sandblasts all the character off her face until she looks like poorly lit RealDoll, or an armor called "Assassin's Stealth Suit" that has cleavage down to the belly button for some reason.

Your Computer posted:

Please. I wasn't too bothered about it because everyone I've encountered so far has been kind of meh, but I just found Curie and now I want nothing more than to go gallivanting bout the Commonwealth with my mad science robot.

e: Also, I've run into a rather annoying problem; NMM Profiles seem to have stopped working. I used to maintain separate DUST and Project Nevada setups for FNV with it and it worked beautifully, but I just tried to set the same thing up for FROST and when I try to switch, nothing happens. Or, well, it seems like I can get the load order to stick (mostly; for some reason it re-enables Homemaker, Spring Cleaning and Worsin's Garage) but which mods are active remains constant. This also seems to carry over to other games ecause my old FNV setup has also stopped working. Anyone have any clue what's happening/how to fix it?

e2: actually this thing is busted in a lot of ways (no VIS, laser pistols are not 10mm guns). is there any way i can get it to just spit out like a plaintext of all the mods I've got loaded so I can nuke the whole thing and start over?

e3: apparently you can just highlight all you mods and ctrl+c ctrl+v them into a .txt file

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 8, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
There is a mod that makes companions more stealth friendly on the Nexus, especially useful for Dogmeat who's AI reinacts a big loud dumb dog to a T.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Just look at MxR and his 1.5 million subs based off Skyrim and FO4 "sexy" mods and some normal content. His thumbnails are 90% skimpy pictures and she shows adult mods by blurring the images/video.

1.5 million is a pretty big number for that kind of mod review/let's play channel.

Now look at other channels that don't cover adult mods (Brodual at 300k, Gopher at a few hundred thousand, etc...) and you'll see why people do that :v:

But don't you catch the very tongue-in-cheek style of MxR? I kind of feel like his purpose is to showcase ridiculous mods rather than promoting them as "good," because his presentation style is completely different for the mods that he finds to be of good quality.

Because, let's face it: The Nexus is full of 90% jack material designed by 13 year olds that have no idea how women or women's clothing actually work. Like, physically possible.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have you put any other mods on it?

I tried it +/- the mod that upgrades it to use more RAM (I want to say it was 2->4)

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

Well, let's start with the "have you tried turning it off and on again" questions:

Do you have NVSE installed?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Terrorforge posted:

Well, let's start with the "have you tried turning it off and on again" questions:

Do you have NVSE installed?

I hope so. I'll check when I get home. It would be . . . embarrassing if I didn't.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

I hope so. I'll check when I get home. It would be . . . embarrassing if I didn't.

Make sure you're actually running it from nvse_loader.exe while you're at it. Easy mistake to make.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Yeah even dog can act like a moron sometimes, stands still as you snipe 2-3 enemies and then pops out of cover and draws a fatman/rocket your way and gets you killed or exposed. Lone Wanderer perk is my true best friend.

Some have a sneak rating of 0 or close to it (Curie and Danse being the worst I think). Just get two power armors and tank everything :)

MxR is very tongue in cheek. He's really only reviewed a couple of "Over the top" nasty mods and he barely gave them any airtime other than to crack jokes.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh I'm aware of his style, just saying it still gets him views. He does a very good job of showcasing "serious" mods, for sure. He's probably the reason for the majority of mods on my skyrim load order over the years.

I don't think any other youtuber managed to gather that amount of subs for mod showcasing.

The nexus is pretty bad about that, for every 1 weapon mod coming out, you get 10 bodyslides/body textures/boob size increase mods.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
MxR is poo poo compared to AlChestBreach.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The nexus is pretty bad about that, for every 1 weapon mod coming out, you get 10 bodyslides/body textures/boob size increase mods.

Terrorforge posted:

Honestly the freakiest thing about all those skimpy mods are the ones where they don't even seem to notice they're doing it. Like there'll be one called "Better Piper" that just sandblasts all the character off her face until she looks like poorly lit RealDoll, or an armor called "Assassin's Stealth Suit" that has cleavage down to the belly button for some reason.

I've learned to stay away from certain terms because holy poo poo there are so many "let's take [X character] and turn them into a terrifying RealDoll" mods. Words like "better", "real" and "realistic" and "immersive" (not to mention any word like "beautiful", "gorgeous", etc.). My favorite is the mod literally just called "better females" :reject:

Also the ridiculous amount of handcrafted waifu companions.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 8, 2016

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I went ahead and nuked my FO4 files (after copying my saves) and giving Mod Organizer a go. It seems like definite improvement, but I can't get the loving local saves to work. F4SE initially just flat out refuses to start with local saves enabled, but once I've got Fallout 4 going once (either by starting the normal executable or disabling local saves then re-enabling them) it works, only the saves don't load in. They don't load when I launch any other way, either. They're listed in the MO interface, but they're not available in-game.

One thing I noticed is that the log description of loading the saves has the slashes going the wrong way, i.e. it saves lockedorder.txt to "C:\Users\[NAME\..." but it reads save games from "C:/Users/[NAME]/...". It's not throwing any errors, but it seems to be leaving Fallout4.exe processes lingering in my task manager list. Also fwiw I've got my Fallout 4 and MO installs on a different hard drive from the config files, but moving my MO directory to the same HDD made no difference.

Help?

e: just for reference, it loads the "common" saves just fine so I could jury-rig the system to work by just moving the relevant files out of the main area and into dummy profiles but I'd rather, you know, not do that

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 8, 2016

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Does anyone here know if it's possible to add/remove settlement objects through scripts? Skyrim's Immersive Patrols mod and STALKER: Call of Chernobyl have got me thinking.

Minuteman patrols spawn automatically around settlements when certain population thresholds are met, and then venture out into the Commonwealth. What if, say, you had a second settlement belonging to one of Nuka World's raider gangs that also spawns a patrol that ventures out into the Commonwealth. Let's say that both of these patrols are designated to arrive at the other faction's settlement. The two patrols meet, the raiders kill the Minuteman patrol, and continue on to the Minuteman settlement and kill its settlers. At this point would there be a way to have the game understand that the raiders have won, and replace the Minuteman radio beacon with a raider beacon?

If that system worked, and there were pre-built settlements around map instead of just blank slates, you could have a system of dynamic faction control and warfare around the Commonwealth.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The game doesn't really simulate stuff that's outside of the player's immediate vicinity very well, so most of it would have to be an abstracted numbers game unless you want the player to go along with every single patrol. This is why you can have 5000 defense rating worth of missile turrets at a settlement and two super mutants with pipe guns and a dog can win against it- the battle doesn't really get fought, it just puts some numbers down and rolls a die.

STALKER: Clear Sky suffered from this problem to some extent as well, and it made the game fairly frustrating sometimes, your guys would just lose over and over. That said, it did do a much better job simulating actual NPC positions on the map and that sort of thing when you were not there.

It's a good idea, I mean, the real reason it didn't work for Clear Sky was because it was either very buggy or intentionally set up badly to the point where you could exterminate factions but then they'd just sort of respawn on top of your dudes occupying their headquarters and go back to wiping out your faction. Having that system but without this problem in FO4 could potentially give you a real sense of impacting the world that is missing now.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been meaning to try Horizon because survival is a ton of fun. Is it stable enough at the moment or should I hold out?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

The game doesn't really simulate stuff that's outside of the player's immediate vicinity very well, so most of it would have to be an abstracted numbers game unless you want the player to go along with every single patrol. This is why you can have 5000 defense rating worth of missile turrets at a settlement and two super mutants with pipe guns and a dog can win against it- the battle doesn't really get fought, it just puts some numbers down and rolls a die.

STALKER: Clear Sky suffered from this problem to some extent as well, and it made the game fairly frustrating sometimes, your guys would just lose over and over. That said, it did do a much better job simulating actual NPC positions on the map and that sort of thing when you were not there.

It's a good idea, I mean, the real reason it didn't work for Clear Sky was because it was either very buggy or intentionally set up badly to the point where you could exterminate factions but then they'd just sort of respawn on top of your dudes occupying their headquarters and go back to wiping out your faction. Having that system but without this problem in FO4 could potentially give you a real sense of impacting the world that is missing now.

Immersive Patrols has battles and a form of territory control at specific locations, and apparently pulls it off without using scripts. As far as I understand these battles still take place even if you aren't present for them.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's a pretty impressive technical achievement for the gamebryo engine if it is true. Didn't comment on that one because I'd never played or heard of the mod. But if Immersive Patrols in Skyrim does pretty much what you want in FO4, then yeah, it can be done.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there an easy way to edit values of mods, or revert specific changes?

I'm using Weapon Balance Overhaul - http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2463/

Overall I'm really happy with the changes it makes, especially to shotguns :clint: and pipe weapons in general but I'm having a problem:

"Institute Laser Guns
Default Damage Value - 21 Energy
Modded Damage Value - 34 Energy

Institute Mods:
Removed across the board damage penalty for institute receivers.
Increased damage on higher end receivers slightly.
Reduced shotgun conversion range penalty.
Reduced automatic damage penalty."

I can understand why he did it, by default the guns are really underwhelming. The auto institute pistol is now an uncontrollable monster though. It's far and away the cheapest and most powerful gun in the game with this buff. I refuse to use it, it ruins the challenge.

The buff also makes fighting synths nearly impossible. They're already pretty hardy enemies, and now they have death rays. Fort Hagen was hell, I was unable to face Kellogg normally during the standoff , instead of speaking to him I had to sneak a headshot on one of the synths and run behind a corner, letting my companions do everything. If I tried playing it normally, the synth with the automatic would kill me before I could enter VATS after the conversation. If I hit V fast enough It would still kill me while I was in VATS frantically lining up shots. Recently, I had to run from a group of synths near the glowing sea because there was no way of beating them... while I was wearing upgraded power armor.

I'd like to set the whole weapon type back to default values if possible.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Jinh posted:

Is there an easy way to edit values of mods, or revert specific changes?

Use FO4Edit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
She, and thanks for the feedback! You'll be happy to know that I'm actually vaguely planning on resuming work on WBO at some point, since I now have my new fancy shiny laptop with a 3K screen and a 1070 to play with.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 9, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I've been meaning to try Horizon because survival is a ton of fun. Is it stable enough at the moment or should I hold out?

It's definitely stable enough but I've been talking to the dev and the next patch is going to basically double the amount of changes made. I'd hold off until next weekend, figure it'll be out by then.

I think we'll see 1.0 before the new year at this rate.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 9, 2016

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, thanks. I'll hold out for the next big update then. I think what has me the most excited about it is the oil well :v

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the best tool for discovering (and potentially patching) mod conflicts these days?

I know I can manually find conflicts in FO4Edit, but that's a hell of a lot of clicking through trees trying to find conflicts and even when I find them I have no idea how to fix them :v:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
That's about it. LOOT if that particular entry has been updated but LOOT seems to not have an active community applying that information anymore, so it's rare. Also the mod page.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
If you want to fix conflicts, use FO4Edit. To show only conflicts, load up your whole load order, and right click on the list and choose 'Apply filter for conflict losers' and this will narrow the list down to mod conflicts. After this, the best practice is to rearrange your mods in order to fix the conflicts that can be fixed that way; then create a new plugin to act as a patch that fixes conflicts using the methods describes in the "how do I merge weapon mod levelled lists?" video from the first post. Basically, you create a new plugin and drag each conflict cell over to the patch plugin, based on which data you think should take precedence. If you don't want to create a patch plugin (which will become reliant on having other .esp's loaded and could make removing mods difficult), you can just [go to conflict losers and] drag over the data to whichever mod is last in the load order, which will hard-modify the plugin. This is a pretty quick and simple fix, but you'll lose these changes if you ever update that mod.

No program is going to be able to intelligently determine mod conflicts, other than glaring problems.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sintax posted:

If you want to fix conflicts, use FO4Edit. To show only conflicts, load up your whole load order, and right click on the list and choose 'Apply filter for conflict losers' and this will narrow the list down to mod conflicts. After this, the best practice is to rearrange your mods in order to fix the conflicts that can be fixed that way; then create a new plugin to act as a patch that fixes conflicts using the methods describes in the "how do I merge weapon mod levelled lists?" video from the first post. Basically, you create a new plugin and drag each conflict cell over to the patch plugin, based on which data you think should take precedence. If you don't want to create a patch plugin (which will become reliant on having other .esp's loaded and could make removing mods difficult), you can just [go to conflict losers and] drag over the data to whichever mod is last in the load order, which will hard-modify the plugin. This is a pretty quick and simple fix, but you'll lose these changes if you ever update that mod.

No program is going to be able to intelligently determine mod conflicts, other than glaring problems.

This is exactly what I do, though I have my weapon levelled lists and the rest of my merged changes in separate patches so that when I change up my modlist I don't need to spend the whole hour redoing everything.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! Being able to filter out anything other than conflicts in FO4Edit make a huge difference.

I guess I'm a bit in over my head though. Trying to make a patch for WBO is pretty daunting, and when I tried to fix the Lone Wanderer rebalance I found that I couldn't change certain outdated records (max amount of perks, what perk comes after 3 etc.) because it didn't have the DLCs listed as Master files and I found no way to change that.

Speaking of mod issues, is DEF_UI supposed to display the tags/meta-data like |LegR| in text? It feels pretty redundant to have icons if they're just gonna spell out what it is anyway. For example: [Icon of right leg] |LegR| Raider Light Armor. I feel like I might have installed something wrong, because it would look a lot cleaner if those tags etc. were filtered out and I just had the icons. Maybe I'm asking for too much and it's working as intended, but I could've sworn it automatically filtered that stuff out before :v:

e: I have a "|LegR| Raider Light Armor VATS Enhanced (Buttressed) {Deep Pocketed} ★" in my inventory now and it just feels really messy. I must've done something wrong right?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 10, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Generally I usually hit apply filter for cleaning rather than filter for conflict losses. If you want to edit parts of WBO then you'll want to change either the weapon or attachment settings. Now, not all of the weapons/attachments are going to be overwritten by other mods, so for changes it's probably easier not to bother with the filter and just edit the numbers.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of mod issues, is DEF_UI supposed to display the tags/meta-data like |LegR| in text? It feels pretty redundant to have icons if they're just gonna spell out what it is anyway. For example: [Icon of right leg] |LegR| Raider Light Armor. I feel like I might have installed something wrong, because it would look a lot cleaner if those tags etc. were filtered out and I just had the icons. Maybe I'm asking for too much and it's working as intended, but I could've sworn it automatically filtered that stuff out before :v:

e: I have a "|LegR| Raider Light Armor VATS Enhanced (Buttressed) {Deep Pocketed} ★" in my inventory now and it just feels really messy. I must've done something wrong right?
Go to \Data\Interface\DEF_CONF

Open up DEF_INV_TAGS.xml with the texteditor of your choice. In this file you can customize which tags are hidden or displayed. So if you want to hide that "LegR" tag you find the following: <tag keyword='LegR' hidetag='false'/>
And change it to <tag keyword='LegR' hidetag='true'/>
You can add that keyword if it's not there in your version of DEF_INV_TAGS.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

Go to \Data\Interface\DEF_CONF

Open up DEF_INV_TAGS.xml with the texteditor of your choice. In this file you can customize which tags are hidden or displayed. So if you want to hide that "LegR" tag you find the following: <tag keyword='LegR' hidetag='false'/>
And change it to <tag keyword='LegR' hidetag='true'/>
You can add that keyword if it's not there in your version of DEF_INV_TAGS.

Oh poo poo, I had completely forgotten about that! It's VIS that for some bizarre reason changes all of them to 'false' isn't it. I remember troubleshooting this before now.

Thanks so much :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm considering buying the 3 workshop DLCs and giving up the adventuring life making myself a rad HQ after I've finished the DLCs. What are the "must-have" mods for base-building at the moment (or indeed, of all time)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Your Computer posted:

I'm considering buying the 3 workshop DLCs and giving up the adventuring life making myself a rad HQ after I've finished the DLCs. What are the "must-have" mods for base-building at the moment (or indeed, of all time)?

This isn't the end all list of settlement mods because I tend to just add stuff that I think should have been in the game rather than adding a bunch of wild poo poo.

If you're going to be using junk fences then Snappable Junk Fences is a must: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9000/

Stackable Concrete Foundations is pretty drat useful as well: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6362/

If you're going to actually have settlers and not just a bitchin' base for yourself, then get Settlement Management Software so you can keep track of them better: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12032/

Even though I try to keep settlement items where the game would normally let me place them, sometimes that isn't possible for what I plan on doing. So, Place Everywhere is very useful: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424/

You'll need the script extender for Place Everywhere if you don't have it already.