Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

photomikey posted:

I posted here looking for suggestions. Did you want to suggest something, or just insult the car I came in asking about and move on?

Mercedes are great but you picked literally one of the worst ones. If you want a mid-life crisis car at least get an AMG or something with some balls to it. You can get an SLK55 in your price range, this will satisfy the basest automotive desire of all which is rapid acceleration when you stomp the pedal. Probably not going to happen in your 3 year old range though. If you want a 3 year old fun to drive convertible Mercedes you are going to have to bring more money to the table or otherwise buy older and prepare to spend more on maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
A C6 Corvette is a pretty good mid-life crisis machine. I'm pretty sure they're down in the 30's now. Maintenance and fit & finish will be a little annoying, but the engine (LS2, LS3) and drivetrain (Tremec 6-speed) are very solid and will run forever.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

with a 25-35k range, I would consider the following in no particular order:

2012+ Porsche Boxster (the only 6 cylinder of the group)
2009+ Chevrolet Corvette convertible
2015+ Ford Mustang GT convertible
2008+ Mercedes SL600, SL63, or SL65 AMG (yes really)
2016+ (new) Chevrolet Camaro convertible - can be done with haggling, these cars are great but not selling well
2012+ BMW 650i convertible - with a warranty
2012+ Mercedes E550 convertible
2010+ BMW M3 hardtop convertible (many in this price range now)
2010+ Jaguar XK or XK-R convertible (look for supercharged 5.0 V8)

I would happily provide a defense for any of those cars as being objectively and subjectively better than an SLK250.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are you guys really telling him to expect a heavy maintenance bill on the slk250 and suggesting amg models instead?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Are you guys really telling him to expect a heavy maintenance bill on the slk250 and suggesting amg models instead?

With the AMGs he'll at least get some oomph to go with the bills

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I didn't say a word about maintenance, but many of those cars in the list above will be cheaper to maintain or under a warranty. Regardless, they're all better cars than the bank-manager's-secretary-special SLK250.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Tremek posted:

A SUV for Home Depot duty is significantly less useful than a truck unless you have a trailer, but I'm guessing you're not in the US. Beyond utility and lack of acceleration, I personally wouldn't choose to haul kids around in something that unsafe by modern standards.

I have a truck and I don't really want a quad cab. I am fully aware that I am giving up some amount of practicality.
Further, I am in the US. They regularly ride in my 911 or my 240z. I'm not big on safety.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

I have a truck and I don't really want a quad cab. I am fully aware that I am giving up some amount of practicality.
Further, I am in the US. They regularly ride in my 911 or my 240z. I'm not big on safety.

That is the most casual "I am living the dream post" I have ever read. Which gen 911 and how old are the kids? I'm wondering if I can stuff mine in a 997 once he's front facing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Some of my favorite memories as a kid are from riding in the back of my dad's 1974 911. Even as a kid it's obvious that the sounds and smells of that car were something special.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
If my wheels are ET 30'ish and the OE spec is ET 44 should I be concerned?

The summer tires were in pretty poor condition already but the Contisport Contact 3's in the front were bare on the outside shoulders.

Medieval Thinker
Nov 6, 2010
Hi guys,
Have a 2005 E500 RWD, no major problems currently but the independent shop I take it to has indicated all of the wheels are slightly bent. Aside from making alignment inexact/difficult the bent wheels wont harm the car keeping them on, but to have a smooth ride they say I would need to replace them. Being nice guys they suggested I look around and bring in the appropriate new wheels myself if I find a good deal instead of dropping many hundreds to have them find OEM wheels from the manufacturer. Does anyone have recommendations on good internet sources for new aftermarket wheels, preferably sort of OEM-looking as opposed to pimped-out style? Wheel size 245/45R17. They indicated current tires are solid and can simply be put on the new wheels, OEM Continentals in the front and Goodyear Eagles in the back. Thanks!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
08 CLS63 AMG, 395,000 Miles, $9k
http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/autotrader-find-one-owner-mercedes-cls63-amg-with-395000-miles-258157

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

A little pricey for a beater AMG. Those wheels rule though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Ugh, CLS. They attract the greasiest "VIP/Luxury" types who can barely afford them and don't maintain them.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i guess if youre gonna drive nearly from the earth to the moon and back, you probably want a nice ride

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Amazing, the things you can get for 100 bucks at bankruptcy auctions.

Waddup, ladies? :dukedog:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hi MB chat!

First, I don't know if the rest of MBworld is hot garbage, but the W212 forum certainly is.

Second, I just bought one of these things and it's insanity:

The M156 is post-60658 so I shouldn't have the head bolt issue, but I'm concerned about the lifters. Did they change out to the new SLS-like lifters at 60658? The old ones had a problem with oil drain-back and it apparently lunches the cams. Also how about them cam adjusters?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
No idea about the engine issues but nice ride. And yeah MbWorld can be pretty lovely

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KlementGottwald posted:

The Straight-6's time has come and gone :(. Lovely engines, but even BMW may stop with them soon, if the next 3 is any indication. The V6 just makes more sense packaging wise.

Kinda funny gazing back in time to the early days of this thread.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Anyone have any leads on wiring diagrams for W212s?

Also, what type of Star diagnostic tool should I be looking at?

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

Adiabatic posted:

Hi MB chat!

First, I don't know if the rest of MBworld is hot garbage, but the W212 forum certainly is.

Second, I just bought one of these things and it's insanity:

The M156 is post-60658 so I shouldn't have the head bolt issue, but I'm concerned about the lifters. Did they change out to the new SLS-like lifters at 60658? The old ones had a problem with oil drain-back and it apparently lunches the cams. Also how about them cam adjusters?

Nice ride, although the twin turbo v8 E63s are getting much cheaper these days too.

I think MB updated the M156 with SLS components during mid 2010. Not too sure on the on cam adjusters though. Fairly sure SDS C3 and above will work for all MB cars post MY2000. iCarsoft is another decent alternative.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

I just purchased a 91 300sl. I've fixed a few issues already and the car runs/drives great but I'm stumped with the radio. It came up saying CODE and I entered the code for the radio. It then cycles power antenna and then nothing. The display is blank and the buttons do nothing. The PO gave me another radio to try with the code card that matches the serial number. I installed this radio and I get the same results. I've checked the fuses and the electrical connectors and they are all good. Are there any common issues with this radio I should look into? I waiting on a FSM off ebay so I don't have a wiring diagram yet.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
How well do M-Classes hold up / are they a lovely SUV? I'm considering seeing if I can't get this : http://www.chtoyota.com/inventory/listing/used/2006/Mercedes-Benz/M-Class/979/578/ knocked down even further on Black Friday. It's got 133k km/ 83k miles on the clock.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Are there any glaring issues with the latest gen E and S classes (base models because we don't have autobahns here anyway)

My dads looking at the lexus gs and ls because his friends mercs and bmws apparently spend most of their time workshop, but both lexus models are more expensive than their mercedes equivalents (base model ls460 about 70K USD more than the S320 where we live). Also I drove a S on vacation in germany recently and holy poo poo is the interior and ICE lovely

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Are there any glaring issues with the latest gen E and S classes (base models because we don't have autobahns here anyway)

My dads looking at the lexus gs and ls because his friends mercs and bmws apparently spend most of their time workshop, but both lexus models are more expensive than their mercedes equivalents (base model ls460 about 70K USD more than the S320 where we live). Also I drove a S on vacation in germany recently and holy poo poo is the interior and ICE lovely

For a price difference of $70K I could justify a lot of maintenance. Plus the LS460 is like 10 years old at this point

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What years? 70k *more* for a lexus over an S-class strikes me as unusual.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Hello Mercedes thread, my wife and I are shopping for a new (used) car for her and my cousin's repair shop has a 2003 C230 for what seems to be a reasonable price of $6000 CAD. I have done some cursory looks online and the model and year have some good reviews.

I basically don't know anything about Mercedes, I am more of a Volvo guy. What should I know about this car?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

EL Bombastico posted:

Nice ride, although the twin turbo v8 E63s are getting much cheaper these days too.

I think MB updated the M156 with SLS components during mid 2010. Not too sure on the on cam adjusters though. Fairly sure SDS C3 and above will work for all MB cars post MY2000. iCarsoft is another decent alternative.

Thanks for the info!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mikerock posted:

Hello Mercedes thread, my wife and I are shopping for a new (used) car for her and my cousin's repair shop has a 2003 C230 for what seems to be a reasonable price of $6000 CAD. I have done some cursory looks online and the model and year have some good reviews.

I basically don't know anything about Mercedes, I am more of a Volvo guy. What should I know about this car?

If your cousin is going to give you discount maintenance during your ownership of the car *maybe*, but I'm going to be boring and suggest that if you're looking for a used car in that price range you might want to be looking at something Japanese.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

mikerock posted:

Coupe or sedan? I had an 02 coupe from ~40000 mi to 95000. Had a $1500 electronics failure (most of that cost was to remove the rear glass to get to the faulty component) but otherwise it was fine. Not very sporting compared to the 3 series. Good use of interior space, amazing brakes, sounds like a tractor.

These are going fairly cheap these days, 6000 CAD seems par for the course to me.

It wouldn't be high on my list if I was shopping again.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

What years? 70k *more* for a lexus over an S-class strikes me as unusual.

Current line ups ('17 models? we seem to get updated models about ~6 months after they come out in Germany).

Yeah its Singapore so an LS460 costs ~usd350k and an S320L costs 280k

Looking at the E vs GS too though theres still a pretty significant price gap (but not as insane as the S/LS), its about 2/3 the price of an S and more appropriately sized for the roads and traffic conditions here. Are there any rules of thumb re: mercs? I understand with bimmers the general principle is never own the first year model of any generation, especially if its a 7 series (because all the new-and-probably-not-totally-reliable whizbang tech gets put into the 7 first). Would the current first model year of the W213 be a safe bet?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 11, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mikerock posted:

For most daily drivers type cars...when you get a repair bill for 2K you would be shocked. When you own a MB you are shocked for the opposite reason.

They ain't cheap in the afterlife.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Current line ups ('17 models? we seem to get updated models about ~6 months after they come out in Germany).

Yeah its Singapore so an LS460 costs ~usd350k and an S320L costs 280k

Looking at the E vs GS too though theres still a pretty significant price gap (but not as insane as the S/LS), its about 2/3 the price of an S and more appropriately sized for the roads and traffic conditions here. Are there any rules of thumb re: mercs? I understand with bimmers the general principle is never own the first year model of any generation, especially if its a 7 series (because all the new-and-probably-not-totally-reliable whizbang tech gets put into the 7 first). Would the current first model year of the W213 be a safe bet?

I have no relevant or helpful information but jesus christ that is the most appropriate username/post combo I've seen in a long time.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Any thoughts on picking up a CPO e350? Finally got my buyback paperwork for my TDI, and the wife decided she wants a luxury car after we had a 528i rental car. I am leaning towards trying to find a 2013, just because I prefer the styling over the 2014 facelift models. Is it really worth the price difference for a CPO car? It seems like they have a ~$5k premium compared to other similar year/mileage/option cars at non MB dealers. Are there any options that are a must have or anything to avoid?

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 12, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

slurry_curry posted:

Any thoughts on picking up a CPO e350? Finally got my buyback paperwork for my TDI, and the wife decided she wants a luxury car after we had a 528i rental car. I am leaning towards trying to find a 2013, just because I prefer the styling over the 2014 facelift models. Is it really worth the price difference for a CPO car? It seems like they have a ~$5k premium compared to other similar year/mileage/option cars at non MB dealers. Are there any options that are a must have or anything to avoid?

What would be the warranty?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Colostomy Bag posted:

What would be the warranty?

Mostly it seems to be remainder of factory warranty plus a 1 year CPO warranty. Not sure if the CPO one starts when you buy it or when the factory warranty expires, but thats just cause I have yet to actually go to a MB dealer. Then you also have the options to purchase and additional 3(?) year CPO warranty. Like I said, I haven't gone to a dealer yet, but thats on the schedule for tomorrow. The other big down side I have found looking at whats available at non-MB dealers is that all of the cars seem to be lease returns from the NE. I live in Seattle where we don't worry about rust, so there is no way I am buying something that spent 2+ years in NY. Most of the CPO cars seem to be local ones, that have usually been maintained their whole lives by the dealer selling them.

Still not sure if I really want a 4matic one or not either. Most of them for sale here seem to be 4matics, but the few RWD ones I have found are ~$4k cheaper. I don't really need awd, but it would be nice the few times in the year I go up to the mountains or something. Any issues with their AWD system?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Some cars have been having transfer case issues, specifically the bearing at the front output shaft. The bearing sheds metal filings into the transmission and makes noise. The bearings are not available on their own (officially) necessitating replacement of the entire transmission. Other than that, lots of 4matics leak from the rear output. I've also seen several W212 e-classes with chattering clutch packs, some of which were cured by driving in circles, some which needed a clutch pack. All of these issues should be covered by a factory extended warranty.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

got it, so dont buy a 4matic without a warranty. i guess i will keep searching for a 2012/3 rwd in the color/options i want. mostly i just want one thats not black exterior, black interior with the black wood dash insert since i dont like the normal wood color contrast. keyless start would be nice, but not necessary.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

slurry_curry posted:

got it, so dont buy a 4matic without a warranty. i guess i will keep searching for a 2012/3 rwd in the color/options i want. mostly i just want one thats not black exterior, black interior with the black wood dash insert since i dont like the normal wood color contrast. keyless start would be nice, but not necessary.

Rule of thumb is don't purchase a MB without some sort of warranty.

I'm not up on the model you are thinking of buying in regards to issues. But, from what I've read the CPO warranty won't cover some nagging aspects of ownership. Things like inflatable lumbar support in the seats.

The cost to fix these things is literally insane. Does it have airmatic or normal struts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Yea, I am fully aware that I could have some very expensive repairs down the road, just something I have come to terms with in order to get my wife the car she wants(I might want it as well...). The 2 cars(2013 here and 2014 here) that I am considering right now appear to be the lower end of the e350's, so hopefully they will not have a lot of those features/issues. From what I can tell, they do not have the airmatic struts(judging from a vin decoder), so that is a plus. Still gotta find time to go to the dealership, but that probably won't happen till after christmas. I am guessing I might be able to get a better deal out of them if I get there before the end of the year, so I will have to make this a priority for the wife.