Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have a PF membership that I used pretty regularly until life got too busy. I like it more than my old YMCA membership, if only for the later hours. Also it cost 8x less.

I remember reading that places like Bally's would sign up a new member and immediately sell the membership to a management/collection company. So if the one year membership was worth $1000, they'd sell it at a discount to get a cash payout and reduce risk. That money would then go into marketing so they could get more new members.

Of course that creates a problem where your monthly cash flow is greatly reduced. The moment new members stop signing contracts, everything goes tits up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

, but hey (is for horses :downsrim:):

This thread needs more dad jokes.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah PF's whole schtick is that they have a big stupid alarm and they sound the alarm to keep dastardly jocks from making the nerds uncomfortable or whatever. At some locations the alarm is never ever used, at other locations it's some bored middle manager's only semblance of actual control over others and they will press it the first chance they get.
Holy loving poo poo I thought this was sarcasm. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo its real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXP6WaVTJpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eAj08nAFP4

It's called a Lunk Alarm. What the gently caress.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

Holy loving poo poo I thought this was sarcasm. noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo its real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXP6WaVTJpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eAj08nAFP4

It's called a Lunk Alarm. What the gently caress.

It's not hard to maintain a respectful gym environment with staff that know what they're doing if they're empowered by management/ownership to actually remove problems, but that costs money in the form of paying good help and isn't easy to see right away. The light and siren help the casual users feel safe and cozy. It's a marketing gimmick and the managers drank the koolaid because it makes them feel like they have some agency in the world.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

NancyPants posted:

It's not hard to maintain a respectful gym environment with staff that know what they're doing if they're empowered by management/ownership to actually remove problems, but that costs money in the form of paying good help and isn't easy to see right away. The light and siren help the casual users feel safe and cozy. It's a marketing gimmick and the managers drank the koolaid because it makes them feel like they have some agency in the world.

I don't understand why they even have free weights. They would be better off just sticking to machines since that is obviously the market they are targeting.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't understand why they even have free weights.

Also, why would they encourage someone who looks like they are a "lunk" to join in the first place? I know, I know, no business would ever turn away a customer, but you're basically guaranteeing that person is going to have a bad time and will probably tell people bad poo poo about your company, worse case scenario making a YouTube video about how dumb the lunk alarm is.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Also, why would they encourage someone who looks like they are a "lunk" to join in the first place? I know, I know, no business would ever turn away a customer, but you're basically guaranteeing that person is going to have a bad time and will probably tell people bad poo poo about your company, worse case scenario making a YouTube video about how dumb the lunk alarm is.

I'm guessing the number of fit people who actually care and would see the youtube video is like a fraction of a percent of their possible customer base, but "people who tell themselves they don't work out because they'll run into fit people who will make fun of them" is probably at least a fourth of the entire US population at this point.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Sepherothic posted:

Two kids, $10 an hour job, and 150K in unfinished untransferable art school debt.

Can I short the US education system?

Why do these people always have children. Hey look my takehome pay is about 400 bucks a week, making me barely able to live on my own. You know what will make it easier? More people to share that $400 a week with.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

We need a one child policy. So what if it messed up a generation of China?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

olylifter posted:

Why do these people always have children. Hey look my takehome pay is about 400 bucks a week, making me barely able to live on my own. You know what will make it easier? More people to share that $400 a week with.

Yes, Malthus, the poors keep breeding. You ever thought of what would happen to society if only the middle classes had kids?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

I'm guessing the number of fit people who actually care and would see the youtube video is like a fraction of a percent of their possible customer base, but "people who tell themselves they don't work out because they'll run into fit people who will make fun of them" is probably at least a fourth of the entire US population at this point.

I really wonder why so many people think fit people at the gym even look at them, much less would make fun of them for trying to get in shape. I know personally I spend the entire time at the gym staring at my own rear end and guns while flexing in the mirror in between sets. That or dancing to my gym music.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pr0zac posted:

I really wonder why so many people think fit people at the gym even look at them, much less would make fun of them for trying to get in shape. I know personally I spend the entire time at the gym staring at my own rear end and guns while flexing in the mirror in between sets. That or dancing to my gym music.

Social anxiety is like one of if not the most common kind of anxiety and most not-fit people are ashamed of their weight so idk I guess I understand how the two could amplify each other in people's heads and become "everyone is staring at me fail to run on the treadmill oh no oh no"

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yes, Malthus, the poors keep breeding. You ever thought of what would happen to society if only the middle classes had kids?

If everyone stopped having kids within 100 years we'd eliminate all war, poverty, climate change, Nickelback, deforestation, national debt, both the Cleveland Browns and The Cleveland Show, terrorism, drug cartels - the list goes on and on. We should give it a shot imo.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I use Planet Fitness the same way someone mentioned earlier, as a place to do cardio late at night and in bad weather, they rarely do the lunk alarm at the Daly City gym and then it is only when someone is abusing the equipment and it is more of a joke thing. Maybe it is treated more seriously during normal hours and not 11pm. There are still always plenty of people using the weights no matter the late time. It's probably the most affordable gym I've had that wasn't free with work

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

olylifter posted:

WAIT. You mean to tell me that there are people in this world who make decisions for emotional reasons rather than logically determining the objectively least difficult course of action and following that?! This is shocking news. You need to write up this research.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pr0zac posted:

I used to work with people who were in the habit of making snapchat videos of other people on the treadmill. Had people telling me about other people getting naked in the locker room and how gross it was. It's mind boggling, but it happens.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

The Nards Pan posted:

If everyone stopped having kids within 100 years we'd eliminate all war, poverty, climate change, Nickelback, deforestation, national debt, both the Cleveland Browns and The Cleveland Show, terrorism, drug cartels - the list goes on and on. We should give it a shot imo.

Sometimes the best solutions are the most simple. Though nothing will ever rid us of the Browns.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I use Planet Fitness the same way someone mentioned earlier, as a place to do cardio late at night and in bad weather, they rarely do the lunk alarm at the Daly City gym and then it is only when someone is abusing the equipment and it is more of a joke thing. Maybe it is treated more seriously during normal hours and not 11pm. There are still always plenty of people using the weights no matter the late time. It's probably the most affordable gym I've had that wasn't free with work

But they have a loving alarm. A lunk alarm.

It makes me feel justified to laugh non-ironically at that "No Chubbies" gym commercial.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

We'd finally have the solution to generational poverty?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SlapActionJackson posted:

We'd finally have the solution to generational poverty?

If there are no low wage workers in the world, exactly who do you think is going to care for the elderly, work in supermarkets, cook, clean, and that sort of thing? The working classes do the actual *work* you know. Just because they are despised by the likes of you, doesn't mean that what they do isn't important. Society would fall apart without them.

If some sort of "poor plague" wiped out the entire low-waged masses, they would be replaced by either immigrants or the current lower middle classes (you?) having to move down a rung.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

If there are no low wage workers in the world, exactly who do you think is going to care for the elderly, work in supermarkets, cook, clean, and that sort of thing? The working classes do the actual *work* you know. Just because they are despised by the likes of you, doesn't mean that what they do isn't important. Society would fall apart without them.

If some sort of "poor plague" wiped out the entire low-waged masses, they would be replaced by either immigrants or the current lower middle classes (you?) having to move down a rung.

Robots. We can fully automate the lower classes.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pr0zac posted:

Well to be fair there is that case of the model who is getting loving destroyed on social media for recording some other lady at the gym and making fun of her on said social media.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you were an out of shape kid you probably caught flak for it from your peers/teacher during gym or whatever, so when you decide to try going to the gym fifteen years later the point of reference you have for doing exercise is that, and you just sort of assume there will be people in better shape smirking and an aging alcoholic shouting at you.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ashcans posted:

If you were an out of shape kid you probably caught flak for it from your peers/teacher during gym or whatever, so when you decide to try going to the gym fifteen years later the point of reference you have for doing exercise is that, and you just sort of assume there will be people in better shape smirking and an aging alcoholic shouting at you.

It's also really lovely when you look around and realize you're the fattest person in the gym. You just feel like you don't belong there, like it's only a club for people who are already fit.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Being fat is BWM. Thread has come full circle.

more food, higher health care costs, having to pay for sex etc

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005

Boyfriend got her a horse. They've been together one year. ~30 years old. No, they aren't rich. No, they don't own a farm.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Moneyball posted:

Being fat is BWM. Thread has come full circle.

more food, higher health care costs, having to pay for sex etc
But being fat is GWM if it means you die sooner and need less retirement savings!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

If we eliminated 50% of the poors, the resulting gap in employable workers would actually drive their income and standard of living up, broadening the middle class substantially. Historically speaking, giant die-offs are great for societal equality.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Woodstock posted:

Boyfriend got her a horse. They've been together one year. ~30 years old. No, they aren't rich. No, they don't own a farm.

I thought "don't gift a pet" was one of the cardinal rules of Christmas

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

baquerd posted:

If we eliminated 50% of the poors, the resulting gap in employable workers would actually drive their income and standard of living up, broadening the middle class substantially. Historically speaking, giant die-offs are great for societal equality.

This is the most concise explanation of Trump's economic policy I've ever seen.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I thought "don't gift a pet" was one of the cardinal rules of Christmas

Maybe he's just renting it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

baquerd posted:

Time to make the Black Death Great Again

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

mastershakeman posted:

Time to make the Black Death Great Again

Not to worry, the anti-vax cultists are making good progress.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Fact - horse women want to gently caress their horses

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Woodstock posted:

I sure am glad they censored the name of the horse just in case someone might have wanted to horse doxx it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I sure am glad they censored the name of the horse just in case someone might have wanted to horse doxx it

Poor REDACTED, thought about being doxxed and died.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Wow, ford offers 500 bucks off a car if you're a American Quarter Horse Association member! look how much more money i could save as a horse owner!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

More planet fitness, less talking about the economic benefits of poors dying.

Planet Fitness ad: https://youtu.be/q7gzmoqmL7g

Powerlifting gym ad: https://youtu.be/gXwMXp0NV1I

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The horse is probably GWM. Unless he's a complete idiot, he found a deal from someone desperate trying to unload their equinity. He didn't buy her a year of boarding with the horse and if they break up he doesn't have to ride off into the sunset with an expensive gesture of his affection.

Dude knows where it's at. As long as he paid cash and didn't spend more than a Xbox.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, but what if it works out? Now they're stuck with a horse and no one can back out because it was this big romantic gift he made. Unless he's really ahead of the curve and intentionally rigged the horse to die in the next few years just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Yea, but what if it works out? Now they're stuck with a horse and no one can back out because it was this big romantic gift he made. Unless he's really ahead of the curve and intentionally rigged the horse to die in the next few years just in case.

Set up a very complex Rube Goldberg device that ends with one of those guns that just deploys a flag that says BANG! and the horse dies of fright.

• Locked thread