Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

this entire chart just took place for me over the past week as my nova Handsome Boys can attest to

After those 3 utter stomps last night I know I'm about to bottom frag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

surc posted:

I'm glad somebody told me who you are because I'm bad at forum > game names, also because I don't know if you discord and you were the one dude I couldn't tag, here is our bestest game ever, immortalized:

Yeah my forums name is dumb but that's what happens when you make this poo poo up 15 years ago as a teenager

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I often wonder if I'm poo poo at this game and then I remember I have never lost a 1v0 on the mainstage of a Dreamhack.

Let me get some 1Gs up in the thread

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

metallicaeg posted:

Yeah my forums name is dumb but that's what happens when you make this poo poo up 15 years ago as a teenager

this is why you should forget your username and lose all associated emails every ~4-5 years

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Holy fuckin poo poo the new sound

I don't like it but it's extremely useful so I will learn it

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't use headphones and it sounds basically the same to me.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

first game since the update and i already made £5 off that bravo case drop

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Just gave it a spin in MM, it almost feels like cheating with how clear everything is. Single footsteps or nade pins are extremely easy to orient around yourself.

M4S decoys on the other side of smoke are extremely good poo poo if you can get it down before they're in range to hear the nade itself land.

It's much more pleasant to watch too, most of the situations where you'd previously "just have to know the map" to understand what is happening based on audio queues are largely gone. Definitely a net positive for the game. There will be a lot less ambiguity about sounds from a newcomer/casual spectator perspective.

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't use headphones and it sounds basically the same to me.

:engleft: If you aren't getting proper stereo separation then your speakers are not positioned correctly.

Edit: There's also a bug on Cache in CT Z where the literal garbage fire toggles on and off at the threshold instead of fading subtly and it is extremely disorienting. At first I thought someone was in vents just lighting and putting away a molotov then I did free spec and located the actual source

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 8, 2016

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
will morons finally learn to use ears yet

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Up Circle posted:

will morons finally learn to use microphones to call things out but not talk when they're dead

no

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I didn't like it but that was only after playing with it for like 5 minutes. I don't like change

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
yea 5 minutes in and the game just sounds bad

stump collector
May 28, 2007
agreed

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

bad hot takes ITT

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763612&userid=140455

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i think the directional sound is improved but if i'm moving quickly it sounds very hosed up

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sounds placement is good, quality of sound is awful.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
I really like the new sounds. It feels like the "all low lod bias a million graphics settings" of sound -- sounds way shittier, but is way more useful.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

sounds placement is good, quality of sound is awful.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I really like the new sounds. It feels like the "all low lod bias a million graphics settings" of sound -- sounds way shittier, but is way more useful.

yea it sounds like poo poo but its good too

i'm confused as hell tbh

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I believe in a csogo where you have both useful sound and good sound

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

It's extremely impressive that they could shoehorn this in at an acceptable performance level, given how old the engine is. It's almost gratifying to hear how bad the game sounds now, kind of the same feels as watching 1.6 videos :3:

I can't imagine it will get much better without hardware acceleration and a new engine capable of taking advantage of that. The foundation of that is getting there with DX12, exposing leftover performance overhead for general computing. Will be immeasurably more useful than previous attempts, namely PhysX

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Also I just had my best FFA DM life ever number of kills wise: http://plays.tv/video/5848ebec46ae4b9d65/the-best-ffa-dm-life-i-will-ever-have

There are still so many painful mechanical habits in this clip. I still haven't broken the TF2/Overwatch habit of jumping and wildly running around in close quarters fights. I also still haven't really figured out how to strafe and shoot with rifles -- I can do the ADshootADshootADshoot thing OK with pistols, but it just doesn't translate. E: also my crosshair placement LOL

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^ put
code:
gameinstructor_enable 0 
in your autoexec and or paste it into the console, P sure its permanent

Unless you like being told to press F to pay respects

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

New Zealand can eat me posted:

^ put
code:
gameinstructor_enable 0 
in your autoexec and or paste it into the console, P sure its permanent

Unless you like being told to press F to pay respects

Oh man thank you. I've had that popup blocking enemy players :(

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I'm not going to check but I'm like 99% sure this is mentioned in one of the extremely useful links in the OP, might want to go through all of those because you're probably missing a few other "freebies" that will save you a lot of confusion/frustration

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
A whole loving match 'orange' spent trying to 'fix' his sounds. :facepalm: cost us so many rounds.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Where would you guys play on Mirage as CT? I usually end up w teams who do one watching aps from near van, one watching cat from somewhere, one watching all of mid from snipers, and then two scattered around a watching palace/ramp. The snipers nest player in particular seems like it can't be the default way to play the map -- you have an aim duel like every round that someone wants one, which seems dangerous.

I'm not going to check but I'm like 99% sure this is mentioned in one of the extremely useful links in the OP, might want to go through all of those because you're probably missing a few other "freebies" that will save you a lot of confusion/frustration

Good call! I've had a frustrating time getting my config to stay.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I think mid on mirage is one of those things you have to have to contest on CT side because the alternative is letting the Ts get free control and merrily cruise thru every time and that probably isn't very good.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Where would you guys play on Mirage as CT? I usually end up w teams who do one watching aps from near van, one watching cat from somewhere, one watching all of mid from snipers, and then two scattered around a watching palace/ramp. The snipers nest player in particular seems like it can't be the default way to play the map -- you have an aim duel like every round that someone wants one, which seems dangerous.

Good call! I've had a frustrating time getting my config to stay.

snipers nest also is the fastest rotation to either site though, and you don't have to take the first duel you get every time from snipers

oh and the guy on cat should support mid if they aren't obviously pushing b, and so can an a player from connetor

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
One thing to note is that you can contest top mid from a few different locations other than window. If you have a good spawn, you can run from CT to ticket booth, past site and jungle into the left connector corner to try and get a pick at top mid. You can also spot mid from cat or boost above the double stack box outside ladder room. If you've got insane movement and have a good spawn you can try jump to cat from window on top of the railing and and get a pick there before running away up cat afterwards (obviously less practical for most players). You can also try jump down from window to underpass and surprise a guy at top mid before running away through connector.

Generally speaking I feel like most teams smoke top mid from T spawn so the CT can't get an easy pick from window. This lets the Ts cross and get control of top mid from the wheelbarrow/bench area, which lets them throw mollies and smokes at connector/cat/window and work mid control. It's pretty important to get a read on how they use their utility so you know where to contest mid from as a CT at the beginning of the round.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Ah ty all that makes sense!

Also: finally made it s3 -> gn1. Slowly approaching my immediate goal of being average at CS GO.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Typically if you're doing a 2-1-2, that cat player really needs to help out, I typically play cat/arches if I'm at B and will play fairly aggressive on cat if I know they're putting 1 or more mid, once Ts have mid control they open a lot of options (boost into window, go up connector, or go up cat) and makes it a lot harder to hold sites because that opens up an extra avenue or 2 to get into them.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Where would you guys play on Mirage as CT?

I like to play in b either towards cat or looking into halls from somewhere.

A site I find unbelievably frustrating sometimes because in mm there's a lot of getting shot in the back or side of the head on a. The potential for the other guy to decide he's going to be ultra useless in case of a take by being a ninja or hiding in ct spawn or looking at what you're covering from a weaker position without saying he's moved or the mid guy not mentioning they can be up connector or could be in the smoke in the window all adds to a lot of why the gently caress didn't you say anything you loving dipshit. But you can't say anything other than I was looking at slope\halls and I saw no one.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Take your dick out and play on ticketbooth with a bizon.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Take your dick out and play on ticketbooth with a bizon.

This is the correct answer, you want the lowest damage per headshot possible. Dinking them 5+ times from a distance is the best way to claim superiority as the alpha male of A site

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
GN3 and yet somehow the other teams's top 3 fraggers end the match with 80%+ headshot's... Just watched the demo and only 1 seemed to have aimlock. The other 2 didn't really look fishy. All 3 had 700+ hours and multiple games and full inventorys... gently caress me.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Holy fuckin poo poo the new sound

I don't like it but it's extremely useful so I will learn it

It sounds like I'm wearing a fishbowl on my head.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

fyallm posted:

GN3 and yet somehow the other teams's top 3 fraggers end the match with 80%+ headshot's... Just watched the demo and only 1 seemed to have aimlock. The other 2 didn't really look fishy. All 3 had 700+ hours and multiple games and full inventorys... gently caress me.

Ive found that there are certain areas that cluster people together and have a wide amount of skill between them.

GN3 - GN4 took me forever to get through, but once I broke through I got to MG2 fairly quickly, with much kore consistent games.

Also play prime. I have a second account for playing with a friend who is GN1 and I have yet to find a game that didnt have someone else MGE+ in it in non prime games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I want to rant about last night. I was holding top of mid mirage with an awp. Already peaked and killed 2 in window. Bomb was headed B. I figured that the 3 other T's could take site and I'd sit mid for rotates. I had also checked back on T spawn while they pushed apps. Perhaps this was a bad idea and I should have pushed site via cat while they pushed apps. All 3 of them got wiped. Then proceeded to yell at me to get bomb off B while 3 CTs watched it and I had my awp. I decided to save and got 1 exit. In my head this was the right choice.

Additionally, gently caress orange for trying to 'fix' his sound the entire game and gently caress green for not telling me he had moved (not watching something I couldn't) and got me shot in the side of the head.