Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You refused to write anything in Simplified and told them the Republic of China was the true government of all China, if I remember right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A Chinese expat Mandarin teacher in Thailand is like the perfect storm of an educational setup where there is zero chance anything will ever be learned.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Something I haven't talked about much is that being the only Mandarin speaker, I was also in charge of the Native Chinese teachers Thai schools are currently employing. So feel free to ask what working with them was like.

What was working with Native Chinese teachers Thai schools are currently employing like?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Thai government would really love to have more Chinese speakers to deal with all the tourists and look good, but if it's anything like their English programs they'll end up with a lot of kids who have had it drilled into them that whenever they see a Chinese person they shout NIIII HAOOOO MAAAA? at the top of their lungs.

One of my students there was a Thai-Chinese guy whose family still spoke one of the Chinese languages (Teochew, I think) at home. His dad really wanted him to learn Mandarin so he could do business with Chinese guys (was gonna give him a cushy job, basically, if he learned it) and he was just refusing. "Mandarin is ugly, and if I learn it, I'll have to talk to Chinese people all the time."

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Atlas Hugged posted:

Something I haven't talked about much is that being the only Mandarin speaker, I was also in charge of the Native Chinese teachers Thai schools are currently employing. So feel free to ask what working with them was like.

What was working with them like?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More of the usual Taiwanese animation madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fcwFnjx7yY

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

You refused to write anything in Simplified and told them the Republic of China was the true government of all China, if I remember right

I can't even pass up that opportunity when a family on holiday comes into a restaurant I'm leaving. You think I could restrain myself around Mainlanders I had daily contact with?

Sheep-Goats posted:

A Chinese expat Mandarin teacher in Thailand is like the perfect storm of an educational setup where there is zero chance anything will ever be learned.

The frustrating part is that there were two teachers who I actually thought could genuinely teach. One was a dude who was sharp as a nail, young, good looking, and honestly listened to my feedback and incorporated it into his lessons. He got fired for not being friendly enough to the Thai staff (read: they lost face because he was a better teacher than them).

The other was an emotional young woman who had more or less been driven to her breaking point by harassment from the Thai staff (read: she was pretty and therefore threatening, a common theme of why we had to shift our female western teachers around with some frequency). Anyway, this Chinese teacher just stopped giving a flying gently caress about decorum and turned into a complete battle-ax in the classroom, which is totally fine when you have a room of 50 seven-year-olds who are completely out of control. Out of a team of 7 Chinese teachers at the school, she was the only one who had been able to establish any discipline or classroom management and the Thai staff loving hated her for it. She called up my HR guy one morning and said, "I'm never setting foot in the school again," and that was the last we saw of her. Probably the best move she ever made.

The other Chinese teachers were your standard "stand at the front, drill and repeat vocabulary" that was the mark of the absolute worst worksheet warrior sexpat English teacher on our staff. But the majority of these were young Chinese women with degrees in education, some of them masters! It was maddening.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

oohhboy posted:

More of the usual Taiwanese animation madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fcwFnjx7yY

Oh poo poo I completely forgot about these guys, this is going to be a goldmine in the coming years.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Invisible Handjob posted:

Oh poo poo I completely forgot about these guys, this is going to be a goldmine in the coming years.

Hahaha good lord, the two morbidly obese American hotties puching out Xi and the panda at the end made my day.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
How did the mainlanders deal with the Thai being way more chill socially/sexually?

Like, that's something that always comes up when we had our teachers here; they were doing their last year as teachers here and seemed uneasy at first that their students were taking them out drinking (the Japanese were a different story though)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

How did the mainlanders deal with the Thai being way more chill socially/sexually?

This is more complex than it might seem at first. Thai society at large--not the parts that cater to foreign consumers--is a lot less "chill" than the usual idea of "woooooo Thailand!" Probably more chill on the whole than China (ex: Songkran).

E: I'm far from an expert here so after this I'll defer to anybody else who has a better idea what they're talking about.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 8, 2016

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Radar posted:

This is more complex than it might seem at first. Thai society at large--not the parts that cater to foreign consumers--is a lot less "chill" than the usual idea of "woooooo Thailand!" Probably more chill on the whole than China (ex: Songkran).

E: I'm far from an expert here so after this I'll defer to anybody else who has a better idea what they're talking about.

I'd be interested in hearing more on this, particularly what role Theravada Buddhism has in social conservatism. The third and fifth precepts are pretty clear about party time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Typically how it worked was that a friend of a teacher would be looking for work and we'd always have a vacancy (see good teachers being pushed out of schools above). There was almost zero chance we wouldn't hire them, but protocol demanded that they sit and chat with the HR guy (who spoke bad English and no Chinese but really loved Rod Stewart) before spending an hour or two with me for "training".

Now the interesting thing about the Chinese teachers is that the vast majority of them spoke Thai to some degree or another. Sometimes they were working in Thailand because they had family in Thailand and needed a work visa and other times they decided Thailand was the best place near China to work with a fairly easy language to pickup for a native Chinese speaker. One guy, who spoke no Thai, was 100% a Chinese sexpat teaching in Bangkok as an excuse to live there. I see him as sort of a pioneer.

Since most of them spoke Thai, nearly none of them spoke any degree of functional English. Training then consisted primarily of me doing an English lesson in the style that I wanted them to do a Chinese lesson. This meant for the first part of it I would speak nothing but English and have them do activities that built towards some target language I wanted them to be able to use by the end of the lesson. Then I'd switch into Chinese and explain the structure of the lesson. This was met with 50/50 religious note-taking (because I'm the teacher and you write down what the teacher says regardless of if you comprehend it) or gawking and, "WOW YOU SPEAK CHINESE SO GOOD!"

Anyway, we'd stick them into a school and that's where the problems would begin. Like their English teaching counterparts, they weren't exactly interested in writing lesson plans. They'd show up in the morning, flip to the page they were going to teach, then go in and drill the vocab for an hour before patting themselves on the back. Watching their lessons was excruciating. They'd all nod during feedback and tell me how wise I was and then teach exactly the same way the next time I saw them.

The Thai staff always, always complained that the women were dressing too provocatively and that the men weren't friendly enough. Usually there would be one or two Chinese teachers that were especially good at rear end-kissing that were always pointed to as exemplars and how the other Chinese teachers should behave and dress, but there was literally nothing different about them.

They also didn't get that they were living and working in Thailand on the Thai calendar. When Chinese New Year rolled around they'd all book flights and leave, usually with a polite note to HR saying when they'd return. They got incredibly angry when we told them that they'd be fired for doing so because we weren't respecting their culture. I asked them if they had to work on December 25th and they said yes. I asked them if the foreign teachers (because Chinese teachers aren't foreign, but white teachers are!) were there, and they said yes. I asked them if they knew what December 25th was and they said, "Christmas!" and then I asked why they thought they should get CNY off if the foreigners had to work on Christmas. "Chinese New Year is about family. It's different. You don't understand."

You had less "touching the children inappropriately and sending dirty texts" problems and more just straight up smacking kids when they didn't behave in class. Now the Thai teachers would do the same, and the Chinese teachers would point that out in their own defense, but obviously the Thai staff and parents weren't having it when the Chinese teachers did it.

But whatever we only paid them 20-25,000 baht a month for 8 months out of the year.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hahaha good lord, the two morbidly obese American hotties puching out Xi and the panda at the end made my day.
I liked xi in a diaper making GBS threads out islands in the south china sea.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Like, that's something that always comes up when we had our teachers here; they were doing their last year as teachers here and seemed uneasy at first that their students were taking them out drinking (the Japanese were a different story though)

Thailand is a lot more conservative than people realize, at least on paper. Obviously the sex industry exists way more for locals than it does for tourists, but it's not visible.

There was definitely a "do as I say not as I do" vibe towards all the non-Thai women. One day a week every Thai teacher, man and woman, would wear a Boy Scout uniform and on other days it was a free for all. But if one of our women came in dressed as a Thai teacher they'd be fired on the spot.

Hell, one school required all of their language teachers to wear traditional dress. So it was always hilarious to see these women scooting around in qipaos in 40c heat.

One young woman took the maibhenrai attitude of Thailand a bit too far and was sleeping with one of the male Thai teachers at her school. Only the wife of the teacher worked there too. A lot of face was lost.

And like I said there was the one guy who was totally a sexpat. He'd sit in class and joke about sleeping with ladyboys with his students. In this case his students were high school boys at one of the most prestigious private boarding schools in Bangkok. Like the prince himself would do an annual visit at this place. Maibhenrai.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

My girlfriend's coworker friend was employed by the Confucius Institute and worked in Thailand for 2 years. It was poo poo pay but at the end she managed to learn Thai and some of her kids got into Chinese schools.

My girlfriend graduated from a teaching school and transitioned from training school monkey to local Hong Kong school teacher to international school teacher.

So gently caress you

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I got a first hand lesson in Face Culture at the Ironwood Plaza in Richmond, BC today. A guy slammed his door into my car while I was loading stuff into the back of it, hard enough to rock the car and dent a door. When I confronted him he kept saying "I didn't do that" while pulling out of his spot and driving off. I got a picture of his car with the license plate and called it in to insurance out of spite. Nothing is going to come of it but I hope he gets hassled by ICBC.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wait wait it's not ironwood mall anymore? Is the Burger King still there?

I was so pissed off that the one on 3 road closed down

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I don't know I try to avoid Richmond but I had to be there for work today.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

caberham posted:

My girlfriend's coworker friend was employed by the Confucius Institute and worked in Thailand for 2 years. It was poo poo pay but at the end she managed to learn Thai and some of her kids got into Chinese schools.

My girlfriend graduated from a teaching school and transitioned from training school monkey to local Hong Kong school teacher to international school teacher.

So gently caress you

Hong Kong is not China cabey calm down

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
See I just realized I can say Thailand is now part of china. Yessssssssssss

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Thailand is real China. THAI LAND NUMBA ONE!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
More sexpat stories pls. Tia.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I just saw a white wimmin in the stairwell in my building, so that makes another foreigner here. Like many non-Chinese in China, I can usually smell the dense fog of perfume/cologne long before I see them, and she was no exception. I was like "drat, what is that stink?" and then a curly-haired, very portly white woman with hairy arms came into view and I had a chuckle (in my head).

At lunch at work the topic of LAOWAI VS FOREIGNER/WAIGUOREN came up and much of it was done in that Chinese way where if they are embarrassed about it they will say it in Chinese and refuse to translate so their honest opinions can be hidden and they don't lose face. There was much discussion suddenly switched to Chinese. My boss made a very concerned face and glared at one of the girls, who thought dropping her chopsticks and giving a peace sign was some way to make up for it (same girl I had the "I don't work these four days" conversation with).
All I really added was "Don't say laowai, it's rude, and if you know the person then use their name because it's rude as hell to call them something else at that point."

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

All I really added was "Don't say laowai, it's rude, and if you know the person then use their name because it's rude as hell to call them something else at that point."

but you are the laowai :confused:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

but you are the laowai :confused:
I DON'T WORK ON SUNDAY

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

JaucheCharly posted:

More sexpat stories pls. Tia.

I was out drinking with some of the other Bangkok goons as we are wont to do when one of the 140 teachers we had on staff recognized me and decided to hangout. I could barely even remember who this guy was but he got it into his head that one of my goon friends needed to get laid immediately. So he got his phone out and called in one of the girls he knows. He told this goon not to worry, that he'd pay for everything, and to just enjoy himself. My friend panicked, and being a goon, had no idea how to get himself out of the situation.

So he did the first most logical thing that popped into his brain.

He punched me in the face.

The girl at this point wanted nothing to do with the crazy violent farang and the teacher figuring he was paying for it anyway took the girl and left.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

I was out drinking with some of the other Bangkok goons as we are wont to do when one of the 140 teachers we had on staff recognized me and decided to hangout. I could barely even remember who this guy was but he got it into his head that one of my goon friends needed to get laid immediately. So he got his phone out and called in one of the girls he knows. He told this goon not to worry, that he'd pay for everything, and to just enjoy himself. My friend panicked, and being a goon, had no idea how to get himself out of the situation.

The girl at this point wanted nothing to do with the crazy violent farang and the teacher figuring he was paying for it anyway took the girl and left.

This is why we no longer do gooncons.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What. The. gently caress.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

I hope you incorporate that into your lessons, it's a real teachable moment

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was hanging out with a couple of my coworkers at the market by our apartment building, and we were talking about what we were going to do with our evening* when a couple of Asian girls walked by on the sidewalk. This was Bangkok so that's not exactly an event. But being the closest to them I was the only one who overheard them and could tell they were speaking English to each other. Another, much louder coworker saw them and noted, out loud, that they were a couple of right fit birds and he was already into double digits just in Thai girls and he wouldn't mind a go and etc, etc. So he goes jogging after them, calling out "Khor tohd, khor tohd krap!"

One of them glances over her shoulder at him, makes this little tch! noise and says to her friend, "Does this happen often?"

"All the time."

*drink, obviously

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 8, 2016

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

looking forward to this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Atlas Hugged posted:

lmao

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There was one morning when I was living in Bangkok when I woke up and seriously said to myself that that was it and I was going to stop acting like that, and that night we stole a gay Chinese dude's birthday cake.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pirate Radar posted:

There was one morning when I was living in Bangkok when I woke up and seriously said to myself that that was it and I was going to stop acting like that, and that night we stole a gay Chinese dude's birthday cake.

Go on...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

caberham posted:

So gently caress you

Chill dude, I was an 18 year old tefl escapist who yada yada yada, ended up teaching in a university, now own my own educational consulting business.

I still admit that most tefl teachers are not like me. Your girlfriend is an excellent human being, but lets face it, if she wasnt then she wouldn't be your gf. Not every mandarin teacher is like her - she's told us both so many times

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sheep-Goats posted:

I hope you incorporate that into your lessons, it's a real teachable moment

The follow-up is that I struck up a friendship with the teacher and would arrange hanging out for beers with him on occasion. One night I'm out and he tells me he'll be late. I text saying that's fine I'll see him when I see him. He replies back saying how sorry he is but he'll be late. Again I say it's fine. This goes on for a solid ten minutes until finally he sends me a picture of him having sex with a hooker.

20 minutes later we were singing karaoke.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, it's better than intentionally making GBS threads himself on the spot, but wth.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Atlas Hugged posted:

The follow-up is that I struck up a friendship with the teacher and would arrange hanging out for beers with him on occasion. One night I'm out and he tells me he'll be late. I text saying that's fine I'll see him when I see him. He replies back saying how sorry he is but he'll be late. Again I say it's fine. This goes on for a solid ten minutes until finally he sends me a picture of him having sex with a hooker.

(Clearly the hooker had the phone while he was busy pumping away)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Crafty

• Locked thread