Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Was TCC ever anything other than a gulag for addicts like ADTRW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I learned the basics of growing psychedelic mushrooms there.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

om nom nom posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, I think there was like a lost stuff/request thread but I can't find it, so here seems like the place.

Anyhow I was in the Smithsonian air and space museum today and remembered the (i think) FYAD thread where the Russians who sent Laika the dog into space just did it to get their kicks killing a dog in a creative way. That was a funny one. Anyone have a link?

I don't have a link, just the bare quotes. Its the contrast in tone that kills me

quote:

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

quote:

the dog was certainly scared as hell and probably making GBS threads + pissing during launch so it was a dog corpse covered in fecal matter

quote:

the dog that got cooked to death in space is memorialized with a statue in moscow, commemorating the millions of dollars and man hours used to murder a stray dog in an elaborate way

quote:

after laika the russians killed two more dogs in space by blowing them up with remote explosive charges, lol

quote:

i hope i'm alive the next time we as a species collectively dedicate that much effort and manpower and technological innovation towards executing an animal, maybe like dunking a sheep into a black hole or something

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

George H.W. oval office posted:

Swole PT had started down the path of weird poo poo for a while. He had a couple iterations of his thread before his final meltdown.

I didn't follow any of that, but I saw the banner ads approximately a billion times and it wasn't until the final meltdown became a point of interest across the forums that I realized that it was "swole PT" and not "swolept", a single word whose meaning I could not for the life of me puzzle out and I was sure rhymed with "concept"

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The really depressing stuff in the heroin thread starts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2987795&pagenumber=83&perpage=40#post414354599

It goes for the rest of the thread (like 7 pages before it gets gassed)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

The really depressing stuff in the heroin thread starts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2987795&pagenumber=83&perpage=40#post414354599

Jesus Christ.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
TCC and The Goon Doctor forums really should both be closed. it's stupid to lend any kind of legitimacy to people with unverified credentials giving out medical advice. i think it is good that the different warez forums got closed down, but TCC and the Goon Doctor are imo worse because they are outright potentially harmful sources of misinformation.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Boiled Water posted:

Have you tried lsd my nigga?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Grandmother of Five posted:

TCC and The Goon Doctor forums really should both be closed. it's stupid to lend any kind of legitimacy to people with unverified credentials giving out medical advice. i think it is good that the different warez forums got closed down, but TCC and the Goon Doctor are imo worse because they are outright potentially harmful sources of misinformation.

nah

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There are probably just as many tales of goons who have ruined their lives via video games, like that guy who didn't attend the birth of his kid because his WoW guild was doing a raid

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

MikeCrotch posted:

There are probably just as many tales of goons who have ruined their lives via video games, like that guy who didn't attend the birth of his kid because his WoW guild was doing a raid

true & i don't think you should give a guy like that bad medical advice either when it comes to the issues he's probably got. basically, i think it is al-right for someone to make a mistake when talking about PóKEMON weakness charts in Games and accidentally saying something like GRASS types being weak against METAL, but it is not al-right to give out comparable bad advice to a recovering heroin addicts and people suffering from disease.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Did she ever post again?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I think you're thinking of the guy who tried to join a WoW raid at the hospital WHILE his wife was in labor.

If I remember right, the same guy adopted two shelter dogs, then pretty soon after re-homed them because he didn't have time to take care of them with his busy 8 hours a day of WoW schedule.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

iirc there was some kind of "PYF dumbest gaming thing you did" thread, and a few people posted dumb bs like making a bad gimmick build in a rpg, or never figuring out you could jump before passing half of a game, and then this guy posts about his father dying of cancer over a period of like 6 months and never going to see him, including on his death bed, because he was too busy raiding in WoW

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

I think you're thinking of the guy who tried to join a WoW raid at the hospital WHILE his wife was in labor.

If I remember right, the same guy adopted two shelter dogs, then pretty soon after re-homed them because he didn't have time to take care of them with his busy 8 hours a day of WoW schedule.

yes, that's wojtek, and after he got banned he reregged but never posted (the wow forum is hidden) so that he could see when people were making fun of him and whine ingame to the forums mod about it

he also went to blizzcon and got thoroughly owned on camera in a way that you have to be familiar with the game to get so i'll go with the part where he introduced himself as "Goon Squad's Former Top Druid" before asking his question

sword_man.gif has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Dec 8, 2016

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

the future is WOW posted:

Was Pillowpants the guy who posted an E/N thread asking for relationship advice in which he revealed that he created a spreadsheet tracking the number of handjobs his girlfriend gave him over the span of like several months? I think it was from back when E/N threads were still in GBS. Someone else has to remember that thread, I recall it being pretty funny (if only because he didn't seem to get that tracking your sexual activity in a set of carefully curated spreadsheets was not normal behavior).

No, the handjob spreadsheet guy was Dragonsven. It was his wife, not his girlfriend, and he started doing it after they got married. His main coping strategy was smoking a lot of weed and whining about it online.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Cervixalot posted:

The whole thing was posted here already including the video of him at blizzcon

Scudworth posted:

re: Wojtek

It's probably maybe the only mod thread to ever be goldmined. These are both so loving funny.

the mod report thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611265

the actual thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610831&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Scudworth has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Dec 8, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Vladimir Poutine posted:

This was a horrifying read but that Muppets racing video game post is instantly one of my favorite forums posts ever. I'm sorry I don't know how to quote it on my phone

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Big Centipede posted:

Did she ever post again?

Last post was 2014

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Sorry if it was already posted,but anyone has the link to the book barn (I think) thread where someone finds a horror book written by a 13 year old and that spawns a writing contest based on his writing style? I think some goon managed to track down the author,now an adult, and he judged the writing contest. It think that was one of the more sucesfull goon projects ever,and where the expression "vomiting with anticipation" came from.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

No, the handjob spreadsheet guy was Dragonsven. It was his wife, not his girlfriend, and he started doing it after they got married. His main coping strategy was smoking a lot of weed and whining about it online.

Ah, ok. I was familiar with the later Dragonsven stuff but didn't realize it was the same guy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Sorry if it was already posted,but anyone has the link to the book barn (I think) thread where someone finds a horror book written by a 13 year old and that spawns a writing contest based on his writing style? I think some goon managed to track down the author,now an adult, and he judged the writing contest. It think that was one of the more sucesfull goon projects ever,and where the expression "vomiting with anticipation" came from.

I know exactly which one you mean, but I can't remember the guys name. Mostly I remember it because there were like three fake posters pretending to be the author before the actual author showed up. Also the original stories were absolutely hilarious.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Len posted:

Last post was 2014

RIP

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Incarceration is a possibility but yeah, probably :rip:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
This thread led me to the "I Bought A Truck: Bad Decisions ITT" saga (and associated Comedy Goldmine thread "Requiem for a Jeep") about the goon who bought a 30's grain truck and enlisted a mechanic goon from Washington to come out to Nebraska and help get it running. I've been following it daily since it was posted here and tonight 14 Bar Riff got the 350 donor motor started!

Hopefully in the coming weeks we'll see this monster making its way to Florida from the icy fields of Nebraska. It's been an awesome thread to follow sating my interest in mechanical things and the story itself.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Horrors by Ben Biddick

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

19 o'clock posted:

This thread led me to the "I Bought A Truck: Bad Decisions ITT" saga (and associated Comedy Goldmine thread "Requiem for a Jeep") about the goon who bought a 30's grain truck and enlisted a mechanic goon from Washington to come out to Nebraska and help get it running. I've been following it daily since it was posted here and tonight 14 Bar Riff got the 350 donor motor started!

Hopefully in the coming weeks we'll see this monster making its way to Florida from the icy fields of Nebraska. It's been an awesome thread to follow sating my interest in mechanical things and the story itself.

It's one of the best threads to ever exist on SA. The story is even better when you know the backstory of how depressed 14" has been over the last year. That truck has given him a new lease on life.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

how passe is it to point out a username/post combo

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boiled Water posted:

I keep hearing about how bad ADTRW is, but I don't see it. Either I'm looking at the wrong threads there or it's been cleaned up a lot.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

I keep hearing about how bad ADTRW is, but I don't see it. Either I'm looking at the wrong threads there or it's been cleaned up a lot.

A lot of the unfathomable horrors of ADTRW predate about 2004. A bunch of the regulars were banned around then, and also one of them founded 4 Chan

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Yeeeesss thank you.its such a great thread.

Bavarious.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bummer about losing the artwork though, it was stellar.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vladimir Poutine posted:

A lot of the unfathomable horrors of ADTRW predate about 2004. A bunch of the regulars were banned around then, and also one of them founded 4 Chan

ADTRW in like 2001-02 was a disgusting cesspool of humanity. Venturing in there just for the SADCHUB links made me feel a bit dirty.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Rhyno posted:

It's one of the best threads to ever exist on SA. The story is even better when you know the backstory of how depressed 14" has been over the last year. That truck has given him a new lease on life.

Had he been? What's the story there? I guess I saw one of his posts in the thread speaking to his renewed sense of purpose and joy, however if there is more backstory I'd be curious...

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

19 o'clock posted:

Had he been? What's the story there? I guess I saw one of his posts in the thread speaking to his renewed sense of purpose and joy, however if there is more backstory I'd be curious...

14" is a nice boy.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Big Centipede posted:

14" is a nice boy.

...and a War Boy with the blackest of thumbs.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rhyno posted:

he was a lot more than depressed considering the insane videos he posted

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Jose posted:

he was a lot more than depressed considering the insane videos he posted

14" is.... special.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

19 o'clock posted:

He was supplementing his Adderall Rx with street meth because it was cheaper, started posting manic poo poo about how the emergency room doctors didn't believe there were bugs under his skin + posted a bunch of photo/video "evidence", and was eventually 5150'd by AI goons.

----
edit- this is far more crass sounding than it should be, watching AI scramble to get their boy the help he needed when he was in such a dark place was beautiful.

Scudworth has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Whoa! After the initial reply I made I started pouring through his post history. It was voluminous so I didn't catch that.

drat. I'm really happy that he has this project going, then. I think we've all been down and out at certain points in our lives. Godspeed to our fellow internet maniac!