Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

SectumSempra posted:

So silly question considering I've beat the game. (still post game stuff though)

Can you focus your magic or is it always going to target the party and make them shiver, drop, burn etc?

One of your default outfits prevents shiver burn and shock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'll keep this short.

gently caress Costlemark Tower.

gently caress Dino.

3 Red Giants and a Nagarani???

At least the boss is a gimme after all the bullshit.

I ran into that encounter TWICE and man it really burned me out on Costlemark Tower. First time I managed to easily pass it by having Ramuh pop up early in the fight and own just about everything except for the Nagarani (which died in 1 hit afterwards).

Second encounter was much less fortunate and I managed to scrape out a victory after using soo many consumables. I love how they make you fight three of some of the most damage resistant enemies and then add in one more who can easily Toad/Stone you.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Alright, managed to crack out the last levels from 94-99 by abusing Expiricasts and the Altissia 3x XP inn. Cheesed the last two levels of cooking by just constantly camping in the same spot and having Ignis cook the highest level food I had ingredients for. Now all that's missing for the last two trophies is grinding the last two levels of fishing (ugh) and that one hunt I won't spoil even though everyone already knows about it probably.

I kind of want to do the last couple of post-game dungeons that I have in my quest list but urgh, they're all the same and kind of a pain in the rear end for little reward. Even more so now that I don't need the XP anymore.

Feels kind of weird to actually be done with the game after I've more or less marathoned around 80-90 hours into it in a week or so. I suppose I'll play it again when all the announced patches are in to see what they actually changed.

For a little anectode about Aranea. I did a hunt vs. a pretty annoying and hard enemy. I think they had around 800k HP and I ran through a LOT of my curatives because basically every attack that hit anyone did 9999 damage. Fights like this really show how abysmal the AI is and how badly the game needs some kind of commands you can give to your buddies. At the very least a "stand the gently caress back I'll handle this" type of thing. Anyway, after I had finally managed to whittle 'em down and kill em, I see a big red Magitek Engine pulling up and out jumps Aranea. She lands, says "Oh, you're already done? I guess my help isn't really needed here" and flies off again.

Thanks a lot for that lady, I could've used your help IN the fight instead of a snarky comment afterwards :mad:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I'm in chapter 10 now. How long do I have to drag around blind Ignis? Stop yelling at me Gladio no I will not slow down. Blind iggy should of stayed at home instead of slow walking through this lovely swamp.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DeathSandwich posted:

So I'm in chapter 10 now. How long do I have to drag around blind Ignis? Stop yelling at me Gladio no I will not slow down. Blind iggy should of stayed at home instead of slow walking through this lovely swamp.

He speeds up slightly after the dungeon at least, and by Chapter 14 he's no longer a hindrance.

But that's probably my least favourite part of the game. Characters are downers, dungeon crawling is annoying, and the plot is just kinda poor. It's worse than Chapter 13, for me.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

DeathSandwich posted:

I hit that part last night and I'm wondering the same. Such a baffling gameplay decision.

Also, the Leviathan "fight" was the most underwhelming thing of the entire game so far. I get why they want to put in gigantic setpieces like that, but with absolutely zero stakes it's just boring. Especially as dragged out as it is.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
For some reason Gladio keeps spawning on top of Ignis everytime I look away

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Got into an argument with a friend- he keeps insisting that Final Fantasy XV's aesthetic and locales place it in the urban fantasy category, but I heartily disagree- in fact, I wouldn't say this is much of a strictly fantasy game at all because there isn't anything fully supernatural; everything in this game works entirely within the physical reality of its world (daemons are just heavily mutated people, the 'eternal night' is caused by fully explained chemical changes to the atmosphere, 'magic' just seems to be a heavily converted and weaponized form of raw elemental and mineral energies, etc) where- despite it being very different to OUR physical reality, everything seen in the game can be boiled down to a realistic, practical process. I guess a good comparison to make would be the Star Wars universe, where no actual form of supernatural power or magic exists, although chemical processes caused by scientifically explainable factors (Midichlorians, etc.) can cause phenomena which seems supernatural at first glance.

I would say that this aspect marks FFXV as a Nowpunk (totally fictional world revolving around contemporary technology) game. Not quite a hard Nowpunk game like GTA or Saints Row 1, but in a more whimsical style a'la Rerto City Rampage (Saints Row 3 & 4 are urban fantasy and light sci-fi, respectively)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gods are real and created the universe through their divine powers

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Got into an argument with a friend- he keeps insisting that Final Fantasy XV's aesthetic and locales place it in the urban fantasy category, but I heartily disagree- in fact, I wouldn't say this is much of a strictly fantasy game at all because there isn't anything fully supernatural; everything in this game works entirely within the physical reality of its world (daemons are just heavily mutated people, the 'eternal night' is caused by fully explained chemical changes to the atmosphere, 'magic' just seems to be a heavily converted and weaponized form of raw elemental and mineral energies, etc) where- despite it being very different to OUR physical reality, everything seen in the game can be boiled down to a realistic, practical process. I guess a good comparison to make would be the Star Wars universe, where no actual form of supernatural power or magic exists, although chemical processes caused by scientifically explainable factors (Midichlorians, etc.) can cause phenomena which seems supernatural at first glance.

I would say that this aspect marks FFXV as a Nowpunk (totally fictional world revolving around contemporary technology) game. Not quite a hard Nowpunk game like GTA or Saints Row 1, but in a more whimsical style a'la Rerto City Rampage (Saints Row 3 & 4 are urban fantasy and light sci-fi, respectively)

Why do you keep posting this

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm like 80 hours in and I'm still messing around in Chapter 8 and I really like this game. There is no shortage of poo poo to do and I've kind of lost sight of narrative but I don't really care because Noctis bouncing around like Speedball in combat will never get old.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Ugh, I know how that feels, it's like when people keep calling my favourite band "rock music" when it's actually neoclassic industrial post-wavecore.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

That's not a thing, stop doing that. The game is fantasy.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, when daemons ("heavily mutated people") warp in out of the inky blackness in the ground, I think, "oh, science!"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Was this an essay prompt in your Literature course or something?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Congrats, Nowpunk is my new least favorite word.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
God the back half of this game is so bad that it's actually kind of souring me on the front half. The front half was kind of janky around the edges but it had some charm to make up for it. The back half has gone beyond simple jank now, everything is terrible, and you can now basically see where the developers have taken a hacksaw to the story, the world, and the plot in order to get something out the door after this whole mess of re-writes and false starts in the almost 10 years since the game was originally announced as VS13.

Such a shame too, because I really liked the first 8 chapters. I feel like I'm just slogging it out in order to see what passes for an ending now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lumpy the Cook posted:

:gas:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If it helps, the ending of the game is pretty great. Honestly I think it's one of the better ones in the franchise.

Even if people are still debating if the wedding scene was the afterlife or some reversed timeline.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Discussing genre is a fruitless endeavor in any form of art. Doubley so if you are going to insist on use fringe terms that are not widely accepted and most people will never have heard of before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

If it helps, the ending of the game is pretty great. Honestly I think it's one of the better ones in the franchise.

Even if people are still debating if the wedding scene was the afterlife or some reversed timeline.

Do people really not remember the fact that Lunafreya said multiple times they'd meet again in the afterlife?

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

you know who else was obsessed with classifying people into genres? the nazis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, it's true, Final Fantasy XV is about a glorious noble king of superior lineage and bloodline wiping out subhuman beasts who do not deserve to exist on his way to marry his perfect blond-haired blue-eye bride.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I always knew Noct/Prompto was gonna be a thing.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Prompto randomly stopped getting XP after level 20. Anyone know what's up with that?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NT Plus posted:

Prompto randomly stopped getting XP after level 20. Anyone know what's up with that?

Anyone who's dead when combat ends doesn't get XP, that's the only thing I can think of.

And given that it's Prompto, he dies pretty easily.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Can I change the camera distance out of combat somehow? For some reason the camera is hugging Noct's back super close all of a sudden

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Lumpy the Cook posted:

You people that don't like this post are philistines and 'Nowpunk' is an excellent term.

I like your angle but it's silly, like the guy said there's some kind of afterlife. Would the summon animations be hallucinations, like mortal minds trying to grasp the ineffable power they are seeing, or literal, like Titan actually just chucked a rock? Cause that poo poo would change the landscape.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

https://twitter.com/RayChase/status/806242638697361408

So I ran across the Papa Bird & Baby Bowl recipe! It's around the same place in Lestallum as the Mother & Child Rice Bowl. Look for a woman sitting on a bench eating.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Nina posted:

Can I change the camera distance out of combat somehow? For some reason the camera is hugging Noct's back super close all of a sudden

Yeah it's in the options somewhere

At least for combat

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Was I supposed to get ultima blade this early or did I luck into rare drops or something? It's way better than anything else I have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

Was I supposed to get ultima blade this early or did I luck into rare drops or something? It's way better than anything else I have.

It's really easy to get it super early, yeah. They didn't gate its crafting stuff behind anything particularly strong for some reason.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Andrast posted:

Yeah, you can get it in the 20's, really. The Sturdy Helixhorn can drop off a level 31 hunt, I think it is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm doing the Leviathan fight. It's pretty neat. And while the music is appropriately epic, I can't help but feel a different song would have been better...

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I am unreasonably upset Oblivion isn't in the FFXIV songset.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh my god the second Imperial base attack is even worse than the first.

"Don't let them see you! We need to capture him!"
"Good job capturing him!"
"Whoops he got away somehow for some reason. Oh well!"
"I'm anime boobs lady. Hey pretty boy let's fight pretty boy actually it's late at night let's not fight see you later pretty boy!"

What the gently caress was any of that mission?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Savage For The Winjun posted:

you know who else was obsessed with classifying people into genres? the nazis.

Someone had to inact :godwin:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Yodzilla posted:

Oh my god the second Imperial base attack is even worse than the first.

"Don't let them see you! We need to capture him!"
"Good job capturing him!"
"Whoops he got away somehow for some reason. Oh well!"
"I'm anime boobs lady. Hey pretty boy let's fight pretty boy actually it's late at night let's not fight see you later pretty boy!"

What the gently caress was any of that mission?

I love how somehow in the span of about two minutes Ignis delivered the guy to the hunters, he escaped, the hunters told Ignis and he got back just in time for the boss fight

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Nina posted:

I love how somehow in the span of about two minutes Ignis delivered the guy to the hunters, he escaped, the hunters told Ignis and he got back just in time for the boss fight

Not only that, why are the hunters even involved? And by hunters do they mean the one dude in the world you keep giving dog tags to? I know there are people milling around hunter outposts but they don't seem to actually BE hunters and there's never anything to interact with at the outposts themselves that's any different than a diner.

Also for some reason after I killed the mech and started attacking the generator it had me stop and came up with a "press X to operate" button prompt that did...nothing? But the generator stopped running anyway and Tits McMask showed up. Also I guess that fight is supposed to have extra guards added but I beat her too fast so they spawned, I took one swing at them, and they despawned in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy poo poo, so is Ignis now blind? Could I have prevented that?

• Locked thread