Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Right wing nationalism is a global plague that's going to kill all of us. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

angel opportunity posted:

The PRC thinks that Japan should have to apologize for WWII several times per year. It's not enough to apologize a few times, they have to just continually apologize for the rest of history. They're trying to make US readers think Japan is so evil for not apologizing, but they don't realize that no significant portion of Americans would think or even care if Japan apologized for something that happened so long ago and is so loving irrelevant as of today.
I think they don't understand the implied "do not apologize for Per Harbor, that way we won't have to apologize for Hiroshima and Nagazaki" thing in the US-Japan relationship.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, that's because there's no reason for such sentiment. And not just because the population of Japan would have been decimated through starvation, suicide, sickness and slaughter if the atom bombs hadn't forced a capitulation.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 23, 2021

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm not sure why Japan would need to apologize for Pearl Harbor specifically, to be honest. For stupid pointless poo poo like the Bataan Death March, sure, but Pearl Harbor is a pretty unambiguous military target. I acknowledge that I have a different perspective than some, though, and I'm willing to respectfully disagree.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The fact that it happened before the Japanese formally declared hostilities (Which is kind of a war crime, I think, but it's late and it might just be super rude) but to be fair that was mostly because they hosed up the communique unintentionally.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Attacking without declaring war is pretty lovely from a global political perspective but it's more something you're made to pay extra for in the peace conditions than something you have to apologise for years later.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

WarpedNaba posted:

The fact that it happened before the Japanese formally declared hostilities (Which is kind of a war crime, I think, but it's late and it might just be super rude) but to be fair that was mostly because they hosed up the communique unintentionally.

It was indeed an administrative gently caress up rather than an intentional war crime. Admittedly it was a risk they ran as they wanted the element of surprise, had war been declared an hour before the attack it probably wouldn't have been materially different and I'm not sure that it would have changed the psychological impact significantly either. The letter of the law wouldn't have been violated but the spirit of the 'law' would have been the same. The Japanese did horrific poo poo but Pearl was pretty standard military action in a war of aggression.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We should have bombed Japan more.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Higsian posted:

Attacking without declaring war is pretty lovely from a global political perspective but it's more something you're made to pay extra for in the peace conditions than something you have to apologise for years later.

It's also a little odd to care this much about Japan doing it in this one instance when you see how many undeclared wars (I'm sorry, "military interventions") have been happening since the end of WW2. I'm not talking about just the USA, just to be clear.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://www.japantoday.com/category/politics/view/china-says-it-has-places-japanese-leaders-should-visit-to-pay-tribute-to-war-victims

quote:

China says it has places Japanese leaders should visit to pay tribute to war victims

BEIJING —
China says it too has places that Japanese political leaders should visit to pay tribute to war victims, in response to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s plan to go to Pearl Harbor for that expressed purpose later this month.

“If Japan wants to deeply reflect upon (its wartime actions) and genuinely apologize (for them)...China has many places where they can visit and ponder on the past,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang told a press briefing Wednesday, citing the Memorial Hall of the Victims in Nanjing Massacre as one of them.

“Just as American people do not forget the Pearl Harbor incident, Chinese people also cannot forget…our compatriots who died in the massacre in Nanjing,” he said.

China will hold an annual ceremony next Tuesday for victims of the 1937 massacre committed by the Imperial Japanese Army in Nanjing.

Lu reminded that other Asian countries also have similar historically significant places and urged that Japanese wartime actions not be forgotten.

His remarks marked China’s first official response since Abe’s announcement on Monday that he will visit the site of the Japanese surprise deadly attack on Dec 7, 1941, that drew the United States into World War II.

Abe will become the first Japanese leader to pay tribute at the USS Arizona Memorial, dedicated to the 1,177 sailors and Marines on board the battleship who died when it was sunk by Japanese bombers.

His trip to Hawaii on Dec 26 and 27 comes after Barack Obama in May became the first serving U.S. president to visit Hiroshima, which the United States attacked with an atomic bomb on Aug 6, 1945.

Japanese government officials have said the visit by Abe, who will join the outgoing U.S. president at Pearl Harbor, is not aimed at offering apologies, but remembering the victims of the attack 75 years ago.

Lu said China and the international community are closely watching if Japan can “correctly understand” its militaristic past.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Whenever this talk always comes up, everybody seems to love to gloss over that the Japanese people had no agency during WWII, had no idea what went on until the war ended, and lived on the brink of starvation from the 1920's until they lived with real starvation in the 40's. It's not like they could do anything, let alone even vote for someone who wasn't a militarist after most left wing parties were banned after full male enfranchisement and the military started killing or silencing anyone who offered an alternative to the pseudo-fascism that grew in the 30's within Japan.

The German people democratically elected the Nazis and allowed them to continue until they were unstoppable. To accuse the Japanese people as a whole of being culpable for what transpired is like holding the German people responsible for WWI because Japan was pretty much under the same governmental system but with a more authoritarian power structure, more limits on democracy, and a food crisis. This isn't to say they were victims or that apologies shouldn't be given by the nation as a whole, they have been multiple times, but people need to stop pretending that Japan was a liberal democracy like it is today and the actions of the Japanese electorate led to the rise of the military there.

Japan paid for the war too with the firebombings and the degradations of the occupation. The Joint Communique of the Government of Japan and the Government of the People's Republic of China (http://www.mofa.go.jp/region/asia-paci/china/joint72.html) also absolved Japan of any war reparations and Japan donated very heavily to the Chinese until very recently in the form of a development fund so it's not like Japan is currently dreaming of taking China down a peg like China's propaganda machine shows them doing every day on TV. The Chinese government only cares because it's a distraction from the corruption and economic problems facing the Chinese people today.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Whenever this talk always comes up, everybody seems to love to gloss over that the Japanese people had no agency during WWII, had no idea what went on until the war ended, and lived on the brink of starvation from the 1920's until they lived with real starvation in the 40's. It's not like they could do anything, let alone even vote for someone who wasn't a militarist after most left wing parties were banned after full male enfranchisement and the military started killing or silencing anyone who offered an alternative to the pseudo-fascism that grew in the 30's within Japan.

Thanks for this. This is what's currently reoccurring in Japan.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

This doesn't really support Japan being totally different to Germany and therefore being less responsible.

Especially when the Germans also used the "we ordinary people had no idea what was going on, honest" to dodge responsibility for a few decades.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WarpedNaba posted:

I think the only thing to potentially apologize for is a sneak attack, but that's pretty much standard in warfare, so probably not. Some points:

Americans may have a different perspective vs China because eventually America exacted a measure of satisfaction by beating the Japanese Army/Navy to a pulp, conventionally bombing the Japanese homeland and then nuclear bombing the Japanese homeland. Then it had unconditional surrender and could basically dictate what it wanted. China and Korea never had this opportunity.

Accusations about the current populace not understanding Japan's role are kind of pointless. The real measure is whether this generation of leadership is likely to incite an aggressive war again like what happened in WWII. I think everyone can unequivocally agree that Japan passes this measure. At the end of the day this is what really counts. Everything else boils down to "oh but do you feel guilty enough". Which is kind of pointless and counterproductive.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

How about apologizing for starting a war in the first place ?
I actually like the Chinese demand to come visit the memorial places in china and other countries; German presidents/chancelors have done so a lot and this has helped with reconciliation a lot.
I do think we Germans overdo the whole thing a bit. Sometimes I feel like were proud of having been the best at being evil, and this is why nothing can be compared to the holocaust.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Abe would never do it but a Japanese PM coming to pay respects at Nanjing would certainly be a good thing for them to do. I am sure China would find something to nitpick to claim it wasn't a real apology but who knows, maybe it'd help.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Stringent posted:

Thanks for this. This is what's currently reoccurring in Japan.

Well, Abe has governed in a remarkably centrist manner considering his first term back in 06 and how hard people pulled the fascist alarm in 2012 when he came back to power. Like when Fillon wins the French presidency next year Abe will very probably be the most liberal G8/G7 leader behind Merkel, he's really not any different than May or Fillon. He's been committed to free trade, has actually carried out a fair amount of reforms on increasing women's' participation in corporations and government, and hasn't actually done anything major to roll back reconciliation with Korea or China or promote revisionism. Really the only criticism you can make of his administration is a bill that cracked down hard on whistleblowers and leakers of classified information, but even on the freedom of the press front the guy he put in charge of the NHK who caused everyone to freak out because he said essentially "as public broadcaster we do what the government tells us" on record, was voted out of his chair by the other members. He's still a Nazi shithead in terms of his personal beliefs, but when the rest of the developed world is electing people like Trump, May, Fillon, etc, Abe starts to look a whole lot less turd-like

http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20161202/p2a/00m/0na/017000c

quote:

Before becoming NHK president in January 2014, Momii was a vice president at trading firm Mitsui & Co., then president of Nihon Unisys Ltd., and then a special adviser to that company. Momii set off alarm bells almost immediately when, at his inaugural news conference as NHK chief, he stated that the public broadcaster "cannot very well say 'left' when the government says 'right'" regarding international broadcasts. Later comments also stirred controversy, as did Momii's use of NHK funds to hire a car to go golfing, for which he later reimbursed the broadcaster, earning him a total of three warnings from the board of governors over his conduct as president.

shrike82 posted:

Given that the Japanese have wiped out any mention of the wartime atrocities that they committed in WW2 and most Japanese youth don't know the poo poo that the country pulled, it's rich to say that the Japanese have done what they needed to.

Forgot about the dollar reparations, they literally have not learnt from the war beyond "we were atomic bomb victims".

That's not actually true

http://news.stanford.edu/pr/2014/pr-memory-war-asia-040414.html

quote:

Japan

In Japan, most of the textbooks are factual and not overly nationalistic, Sneider said. While that is a plus, they are too often a "dry chronology" of events and dates, leaving few opportunities to engage and motivate students through critical-thinking exercises.

One misleading perception of Japan in the West, China and Korea is that Japan's most nationalistic textbooks are in widespread use, he said. But it's not true, according to Sneider. Heavy media coverage of a few provocative Japanese textbooks somewhat distorts reality. Those textbooks – produced by one Japanese publisher – are used in less than 1 percent of Japanese classrooms.

Still, the textbook controversy has contributed to the perception that Japan has not done enough to confront its culpability in World War II, whereas Germany has done so, he noted.

Sneider said the revisionist conservative narrative about the war in Japan gets the most attention, but it does not necessarily reflect Japan's prevailing war memory. A wide spectrum of opinions exists.

"If there is a dominant narrative in Japan," wrote Sneider, "it is the pacifist narrative." This viewpoint considers war as the enemy and leads to the conclusion that no one country – including Japan – can be held wholly responsible for WWII.

Geopolitics makes the Japanese case different than Germany's, he said. Germany confronted its wartime past so it could reassert German leadership in Europe at a time when a unified Cold War stand against the Soviet Union encouraged reconciliation.

On the other hand, Japan, at the urging of the United States, was positioned in a long-term Cold War confrontation with its principal victim in World War II, China. As a result, little motivation existed for Japan to look deeply at its atrocities against China, Sneider said.

You can criticize the public narrative of the war, for being a left wing pacifist narrative that blames the military bureaucracy and not a liberal one that blames the Japanese public as a whole, but no, the textbooks are not revisionist and are factually accurate. Like I don't know why people keep insisting on this idea that the Japanese schools teach children to lust for the blood of Chinese and Koreans, it's demonstrably untrue and it seems more that the facts are accurately presented and people don't really give a poo poo for other reasons?

MonikaTSarn posted:

How about apologizing for starting a war in the first place ?
I actually like the Chinese demand to come visit the memorial places in china and other countries; German presidents/chancelors have done so a lot and this has helped with reconciliation a lot.
I do think we Germans overdo the whole thing a bit. Sometimes I feel like were proud of having been the best at being evil, and this is why nothing can be compared to the holocaust.

Grand Fromage posted:

Abe would never do it but a Japanese PM coming to pay respects at Nanjing would certainly be a good thing for them to do. I am sure China would find something to nitpick to claim it wasn't a real apology but who knows, maybe it'd help.

Three Japanese PMs have gone to Nanjing. Not while in office, but still. The last one did it right after Abe got elected as a gently caress you to him basically

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/18/world/asia/japan-hatoyama-china/

quote:

He is the third former Japanese prime minister to visit the memorial, following predecessors Toshiki Kaifu and Tomiichi Murayama. The tribute for Chinese victims stands in contrast to visits by Japanese officials, including Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and predecessor Junichiro Koizumi, to the controversial Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo, which is dedicated to Japan's war dead, including war criminals.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 8, 2016

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's a nice gesture on a personal level but the fact that they couldn't do it in an official capacity says all you need to know about Japanese politics vis-a-vis WW2 war crimes or comfort women.

And textbooks only listing events and dates and not explaining stuff like Unit 731 is an absolute travesty.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think it's less useful to genuflect oneself about things other people did decades ago than to grapple with how the same authoritarian forces are currently rising worldwide. What good is yet another apology from Japan if they continue down the course of re-militarization? Actions speak louder than words.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
^^ It would obviously have to be more than a one-time event to really mean anything, yes.

icantfindaname posted:

Three Japanese PMs have gone to Nanjing. Not while in office, but still. The last one did it right after Abe got elected as a gently caress you to him basically

That still seems like it's a far-cry from, say, Willy Brandt kneeling in front of the Warsaw Ghatto Uprising memorial.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This doesn't really support Japan being totally different to Germany and therefore being less responsible.

Especially when the Germans also used the "we ordinary people had no idea what was going on, honest" to dodge responsibility for a few decades.

There's actually plenty of evidence that the German people knew that mass killings were going on in the East and that Jews were being deported to their deaths. You can't really make that argument for people on an archipelago separated from the conflict zone. The crimes committed by the Japanese were more small scale and localized but happened on such a scale that people assume it was a mass campaign. The average Japanese army soldier was a few steps away from a child soldier in terms of conditioning and the violence is a result of that conditioning and a system that disregarded human rights for their own people, not an industrialized campaign of mass murder.

I would also question the narrative that Germans dodged responsibility for decades. Former Wehrmacht generals attempted to dodge blame for decades but that doesn't speak for German society as a whole. These men were held up by the conservative, anti-communist establishment in the West because they were fighting communists but this doesn't speak for the German people as a whole, who had a good idea of what went down.

EDIT:

Unit 731 is a special case because the US and USSR gave them immunity for their data and the information known for years was very limited. Most of what we know about them comes from their testimony, purposely limited, and what has recently been found in archives in China. The Japanese government allegedly doesn't even have access to the information because it's in US, Russian, and Chinese archives but has acknowledged that it's a big deal.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 8, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

shrike82 posted:

It's a nice gesture on a personal level but the fact that they couldn't do it in an official capacity says all you need to know about Japanese politics vis-a-vis WW2 war crimes or comfort women.

And textbooks only listing events and dates and not explaining stuff like Unit 731 is an absolute travesty.

Well, your initial claim was that all mention of wartime events was wiped from textbooks, soooo. And that doesn't say they don't explain Unit 731?

Definitely still criticize the Japanese public's attitude in general, but if the textbooks are factually accurate I don't see that big a problem with that aspect in particular? Like the tone and narrative should be better, but insufficiently strident tone is a lot different from "book full of revisionist lies"

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find the entire thing to be tiresome. China will never move on as they don't want to. They care more about the propaganda value above all else. Screaming kill all Japanese isn't going away no matter what happens short of revolution in China and even then the movies aren't going away over night. One day they will be viewed as quaint, that day is not today.

shrike82 posted:

Nothing will satisfy you as you don't care about that. You just want to bash that piñata. If you really cared about injustice, look no further than the Trump administration where you have the chance of punching real fascists just like the olden days.

The increased defence spending by Japan is a direct result of Chinese actions. Wouldn't you spend more if your neighbour is getting increasingly aggressive? The whole SCS situation pretty much screams Chinese aggression. Even Vietnam is getting weapons from the US to boaster their defence against China. Again, China is not interested in dealing in good faith and I can't blame anybody in the area who wants to increase spending to counter an obvious threat.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
What are some instances of China apologizing for stuff it did as the PRC, to other nations or to their own people? Just curious if there is any significant apologies from them.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

Higsian posted:

It's been a long time since I've read up on the pacific war, but I believe that it's always been the Japanese's navy's intention to deliver the war declaration minutes before the bomb drops, thus satisfying international protocol of war on one hand, leaving American too little time to defend themselves on the other. Whether the declaration arrive before or after would make no difference on the amount of damage. The idea that you have to declare war before attacking is how wars are traditionally fought in the west, but not in the far east. During the sengoku period, all the daimyos are constantly watching their neighbours for suspicious movements.

You were sneak attacked? It's your fault for not watching. I think Japan also did the last minute declaration strategy against the Russian in the Russo-Japanese war.

Back to the issues of apologies. I would say all three countries are complicit in prolonging all the WW2 grievances. It's absolutely true that both China and Korea annually demands the same apology from Japan as a political leverage, always playing the poor suffering victims and diverting attentions from their domestic problems. So no matter how many times they apologize, the same demand pops up every year. Sometimes from the government, sometime from civilian group who cries that they never received any apology or reparation. Nor does Japan help their own case whenever the prime ministers do their annual visits to Yasukuni shrine, known for interring war criminals that were tried and executed in the Tokyo war trial.

The closest analogy would be a graveyard in Germany where all the nazi war criminals were buried, and Merkel makes annual pilgrimage there to pay her respect to the dead, accompanied by the press and all her cabinet, because that's what she has to do to gain support from the conservative parties. Media jumps on that and the whole cycle repeats.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

symphoniccacophony posted:

The closest analogy would be a graveyard in Germany where all the nazi war criminals were buried, and Merkel makes annual pilgrimage there to pay her respect to the dead, accompanied by the press and all her cabinet, because that's what she has to do to gain support from the conservative parties. Media jumps on that and the whole cycle repeats.

Funny story, Helmut Kohl literally tricked Reagan into visiting a cemetery with SS officers buried in it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitburg_controversy

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

apologists like ohhboy wringing their hands saying nothing will ever satisfy the victims when the bar has been set so low

there're a bunch of complete steps that the japanese government can take to atone for WW2 war crimes -

1) monkasho to set a mandatory curriculum detailing the war time atrocities that the japanese committed
2) official declaration by abe or some future PM that Yasukuni is a cemetary for war criminals and he/she will cease visiting it
3) an official tour of a couple war crime sites such as Nanjing by the PM with an apology

i can't wait to hear why these things are bad

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I feel like those things would be good for Japan. The Japanese government doing as much Vergangenheitsbewältigung as Germany does is good. I don't think most of us are really focusing on whether that would be good or bad.

The point is that even if Japan did all of those things, China would simply frame it back as something like: "Look at weak little Japan begging to us on their knees! What is their true intention behind this facade of weakness? Are they trying to put us off guard so we will slow our rise? Is this a prelude to a Pearl Harbor style sneak attack on China?"

I think educating the populace about past atrocities so they never happen again is a good thing, and maybe a future Japanese government will take that more seriously. The key thing for me is that I think most modern Japanese people would be receptive to something like this and feel bad about it.

With China, you'd have to do like comprehensive de-brainwashing for probably a few generations to get them to actually feel bad about anything or to see Japan as something other than evil rapist dogs.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fake edit: AO pretty much covered what I wanted to say far better.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

What are some instances of China apologizing for stuff it did as the PRC, to other nations or to their own people? Just curious if there is any significant apologies from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RQwR7F_EPw

This video is the closest any Chinese leader has ever come to publicly acknowledging, let alone apologizing for, the Tiananmen Square massacre. The relevant bit is right at the end, when Deng says, approximately: "On those matters where we have not done enough, we can try a little harder."

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Japan should apologise to the Chinese people for all deaths and suffering inflicted as a result of their policies and actions as soon as the Chinese Communist Party apologise for the fall out of the Great Leap Forward, the Cultural Revolution and Tianmen . Also when they apologise to the people of Hong Kong for sponsoring state terrorism against them during the Cultural Revolution.

I should add that Japan did majorly horrible poo poo, they have dealt with it in a manner that shows more a sense that others have a legitimate grievance than what I would see as contrition. They made reparations to Korea (although the dictator just hushed the whole thing up) and have apologised for selective elements of their crimes against China. They could do more but the problem with something, such as a Japanese PM visiting Nanjing, is that China is so poised to exploit the issue for maximum propaganda value that I would expect the whole event to be stage managed with crowds of protestors and probably something like a tearful old lady 'managing' to break through the security cordon and get tackled by the Japanese security guards showing that the Japanese are really still out to attack the Chinese people.

Yes that's literally pulling scenarios out of my rear end but China has shifted the goalposts on Japanese apologies and raised it as points in response to unconnected issues. It is a propaganda tool for the CCP and any Japanese leader would have to be wary of playing into it. I think they could be doing more and sometimes they're dumbheaded about honouring traditions that have terrible, terrible optics but the idea that they don't give a gently caress and have never apologised or acknowledged their crimes is pure CCP propaganda.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MrNemo posted:

Japan should apologise to the Chinese people for all deaths and suffering inflicted as a result of their policies and actions as soon as the Chinese Communist Party apologise for the fall out of the Great Leap Forward, the Cultural Revolution and Tianmen . Also when they apologise to the people of Hong Kong for sponsoring state terrorism against them during the Cultural Revolution.

I should add that Japan did majorly horrible poo poo, they have dealt with it in a manner that shows more a sense that others have a legitimate grievance than what I would see as contrition. They made reparations to Korea (although the dictator just hushed the whole thing up) and have apologised for selective elements of their crimes against China. They could do more but the problem with something, such as a Japanese PM visiting Nanjing, is that China is so poised to exploit the issue for maximum propaganda value that I would expect the whole event to be stage managed with crowds of protestors and probably something like a tearful old lady 'managing' to break through the security cordon and get tackled by the Japanese security guards showing that the Japanese are really still out to attack the Chinese people.

Yes that's literally pulling scenarios out of my rear end but China has shifted the goalposts on Japanese apologies and raised it as points in response to unconnected issues. It is a propaganda tool for the CCP and any Japanese leader would have to be wary of playing into it. I think they could be doing more and sometimes they're dumbheaded about honouring traditions that have terrible, terrible optics but the idea that they don't give a gently caress and have never apologised or acknowledged their crimes is pure CCP propaganda.

I think governments apologizing to their own people is a different ball game than one country apologizing to another.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This is the most luridly racist thread in D&D. White nerds are too afraid to bash black people but apparently aren't afraid enough of Asian people to refrain from the outright hatred and contempt

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

This is the most luridly racist thread in D&D. White nerds are too afraid to bash black people but apparently aren't afraid enough of Asian people to refrain from the outright hatred and contempt
Good use of the word "lurid" there, really sets the mood, like we're debauched Englishmen in a smoke filled opium den cursing the vile oriental

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Change 'opium' to 'e-cigs' and you're not far off.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mozi posted:

Change 'opium' to 'e-cigs' and you're not far off.
Then it would probably better to shift the area either to an internet café or a skeezy expat bar

Though I guess the picture of the outlander with the "missus" is more of a SE-Asia thang, it might fly here.

Then we could all talk together about our mutual loathing and hatred of China and possible make vile plans to hurt the glorious CCP, possibly via internet rumourmongering

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

There's actually plenty of evidence that the German people knew that mass killings were going on in the East and that Jews were being deported to their deaths. You can't really make that argument for people on an archipelago separated from the conflict zone. The crimes committed by the Japanese were more small scale and localized but happened on such a scale that people assume it was a mass campaign. The average Japanese army soldier was a few steps away from a child soldier in terms of conditioning and the violence is a result of that conditioning and a system that disregarded human rights for their own people, not an industrialized campaign of mass murder.

I would also question the narrative that Germans dodged responsibility for decades. Former Wehrmacht generals attempted to dodge blame for decades but that doesn't speak for German society as a whole. These men were held up by the conservative, anti-communist establishment in the West because they were fighting communists but this doesn't speak for the German people as a whole, who had a good idea of what went down.

I know there is plenty of evidence the Germans knew about atrocities and exactly why I brought it up: the 'we didn't see nothing' defence was apologist garbage when applied to Germany and it is the same when applied to Japan. There is absolutely no way a population which has been indoctrinated into its own racial superiority in this manner did not on some level have an awareness endorse its leadership's violence. It also makes no sense you are attempting to absolve ordinary Japanese of responsibility by arguing that they were indoctrinated (poor victims of their own government!) who committed localized atrocities of their own volition, and that this is less bad than the more top down direction of the Nazis.

I don't think it is useful to get in a pissing match over whether Nazis or ww2 Japanese were worse but trying to defend one by reference to the other is always pretty disgusting.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Peven Stan posted:

I too believe that the Communist Party of China is representative of "Asian people" generally, ask me about my hard-on for autocratic rule and about the orientalism that I'm too stupid to realize is influencing my opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm not sure why but he's been posting anti-whitey messages in every Asia related thread recently.