Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Ricky just said gently caress it and walked into a lateral water hazard to hit while still wearing his shoes. Gotta love that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It was the 18th hole anyway.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah but that only makes it own slightly less

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

His high-tops could've handled at least a few more inches of water before he would've had to worry.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

It's a fine line between Ricky's high tops and hip waders, that's fair.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
So the difference between a 2010 and a 2015 model driver is apparently 30 yards. GPS'ed one about 310 yesterday.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

So the difference between a 2010 and a 2015 model driver is apparently 30 yards. GPS'ed one about 310 yesterday.

5 years is a pretty big difference in driver technology.

Hell, the Taylormade M2 3 wood was 10-15 yards longer than any other 3 wood on the market right now. I spent almost an hour hitting 3 woods when I was buying a new one and the M2 was consistently 10-15 yards longer than any other 3 wood.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mattfl posted:

5 years is a pretty big difference in driver technology.

Hell, the Taylormade M2 3 wood was 10-15 yards longer than any other 3 wood on the market right now. I spent almost an hour hitting 3 woods when I was buying a new one and the M2 was consistently 10-15 yards longer than any other 3 wood.

I have a feeling I'll end up with an M2 of some variety before long. I hit my Nike VFP driver pretty well but seeing 95% of Nike staffers immediate jump to M1/M2 clubs is tough to ignore even though I know it shouldn't influence my decision. I doubt I'll drop my XR 4wood any time soon since I am more consistent with it than any other wood I've played but I'm also looking into a 6/7wood since hybrids haven't worked well for me and my 3i is a risky play when I need a 200-210 yard carry over water or whatever.

I am happy I played Sunday. It was 38 and sunny and there was nobody else at the course so I walked 9 and played 3 balls all the way through. First couple holes were ugly after not having swung a club in 2 weeks but after that it got decent. I don't think there is much hope for the next week or two looking at the forecast though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Early bday gift from my brother.

Replacing an almost 10 year old Nike ignite 001 putter.

Figured I blew the rest of my bag up this year why not the putter too!

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
That's an awesome present. Have you gotten to roll it yet?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's an awesome gift, you have a rad brother :toot:

New local rule from USGA:

quote:

“Accidental Movement of a Ball on the Putting Green

Rules 18-2, 18-3 and 20-1 are modified as follows:

When a player’s ball lies on the putting green, there is no penalty if the ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved by the player, his partner, his opponent, or any of their caddies or equipment.

The moved ball or ball-marker must be replaced as provided in Rules 18-2, 18-3 and 20-1.

This Local Rule applies only when the player’s ball or ball-marker lies on the putting green and any movement is accidental.

Note: If it is determined that a player’s ball on the putting green was moved as a result of wind, water or some other natural cause such as the effects of gravity, the ball must be played as it lies from its new location. A ball-marker moved in such circumstances is replaced.”

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Why, that's a common-sense rule change that represents what the vast majority of casual golfers do anyway. Are we in bizarro world now or something?

Counter argument- Now I can "accidentally" strike my ball while making practice strokes next to it and get a free read before replacing at no penalty, yay!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

Counter argument- Now I can "accidentally" strike my ball while making practice strokes next to it and get a free read before replacing at no penalty, yay!!

Attaboy :cool:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Why, that's a common-sense rule change that represents what the vast majority of casual golfers do anyway. Are we in bizarro world now or something?

Practice strokes aren't covered. But yeah, I guess you could do something silly like that.

I think there's a catch-all rule for disqualification if you egregiously cheat.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Unknownmass posted:

That's an awesome present. Have you gotten to roll it yet?

No not yet, probably tonight.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

David Duvall :unsmith:

Also there is no way John Daly's son doesnt become a pro golfer exactly like his dad, cigarettes and beer included. That kid can hit a ball a mile already.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol ian poulter

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I am thinking of trying single length irons next year. My thought is that if I can just do one consistent swing all the time instead of having to constantly change it maybe I can get better

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

I am thinking of trying single length irons next year. My thought is that if I can just do one consistent swing all the time instead of having to constantly change it maybe I can get better

I hit some recently, it's weird at first just visually, but you get used to it. Basically if you can hit a 7 iron good, but nothing else it might help

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I loving love Bubba Watson

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/bubba-watson-will-reportedly-switch-volvik-golf-ball

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yes.

Do it, Bubba.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

gently caress yes.

Do it, Bubba.

He's already wearing multiple colored gloves, we all know his driver. How long till his iron shafts are custom colors too!?

I will completely switch to volvik if he does this!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I can only imagine how much seeing a non white golf ball at Augusta will troll the old fogies of the golf world.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Uh, a green ball? Fluro Green?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bubba gonna step up to the tee on Sunday with pink driver and pink ball, dressed in the loudest fuckin' matched pink outfit that even Stevie Wonder would notice and it's going to be loving amazing.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who finally learned how to clear his loving hips today?

This guy :)

In one of the few times unsolicited advice during a round worked, this 82 year old golfer in our scramble group who can shoot his age and then some, motioned to me after hooking my 88374376553th tee shot of the day and says " Stop swaying like you're trying to play with a hula hoop and rotate your drat hips, that's the only thing wrong with your swing "

I'm striping it right now like never before.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Old golfers fuckin' own :radcat:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I'm going south in February and it's looking less and less likely I'll be able to play at all until then. Feels bad man.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tiger is officially playing Bridgestone balls.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/18281732/tiger-woods-signs-deal-promote-bridgestone-golf-balls

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

I'm going south in February and it's looking less and less likely I'll be able to play at all until then. Feels bad man.

I got to play yesterday just outside denver, but likely closed out for a while. 31 on the driving range, 35 when i teed off, bouncing balls on the greens, but frozen fairways make for lots of carry.

Gotta find a way to get south for some golf before spring.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

gently caress why did they just randomly throw in that blurb about the Costco ball?? They'll sell out even faster now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

gently caress why did they just randomly throw in that blurb about the Costco ball?? They'll sell out even faster now.

The kirklands sell out within hours anyways.

Get your f5 key ready on the 20th the next time they go in stock :)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah I got 2 dozen back in October when they were first offered, then they ran out and I missed the one morning when they were back in stock. Limit 2 per customer this time around might mean they last longer plus I'm sure Costco has been working to get Nassau to pump out as many as possible since they're going to sell them all no matter how many they make. I'm not too worried since I won't be golfing around here anyway with all this snow but having some on-hand would be nice.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah I got 2 dozen back in October when they were first offered, then they ran out and I missed the one morning when they were back in stock. Limit 2 per customer this time around might mean they last longer plus I'm sure Costco has been working to get Nassau to pump out as many as possible since they're going to sell them all no matter how many they make. I'm not too worried since I won't be golfing around here anyway with all this snow but having some on-hand would be nice.

Sooooo, someone on reddit mentioned they were going for crazy prices on ebay after like 3 major mags did articles on them this week.

I may have put my 3 dozen up earlier today and sold them for $50/dozen lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Sooooo, someone on reddit mentioned they were going for crazy prices on ebay after like 3 major mags did articles on them this week.

I may have put my 3 dozen up earlier today and sold them for $50/dozen lol

People are so stupid.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So like, the price of ProV1's? Lol yeah people are stupid.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

lol yup

Can't wait to buy a bunch more on tuesday for basically free!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

You should have aimed higher bro. I saw a dozen that sold for $100 + $14 shipping. Oh golf consumers :allears:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

This complete loving rear end in a top hat of a guy decided that he was entitled to skip ahead of our twosome. He was a single, and yeah whatever. But the bastard drove around us while we were teeing off on the first hole without so much as saying a word(strike 1), then proceeds to hold us up the next three holes(strike 2) while he takes about 10 practice swings per shot only to hosel rocket them, THEN didn't want us to play through when confronted about it(strike 3). I had to call the clubhouse to avoid bloodshed. ~~~~ Just Muni things ~~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Farking Bastage posted:

This complete loving rear end in a top hat of a guy decided that he was entitled to skip ahead of our twosome. He was a single, and yeah whatever. But the bastard drove around us while we were teeing off on the first hole without so much as saying a word(strike 1), then proceeds to hold us up the next three holes(strike 2) while he takes about 10 practice swings per shot only to hosel rocket them, THEN didn't want us to play through when confronted about it(strike 3). I had to call the clubhouse to avoid bloodshed. ~~~~ Just Muni things ~~~~

when he drove past, i'd have let it go. the first time he held me up, i'd have yelled at him. second time, call the club house. so, you gave him one more hole than i would have.