Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Neat thing I noticed on a second rewatch:

The last thing Arnold says to Delores before he turns his back on her to get shot is, "Good luck." The last thing Ford says to Delores before he turns his back on her to get shot is "Good luck."

Don't ever say that to Delores. It might be her trigger phrase. (See what I did there?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone else following the critical backlash to this?

Every single critic I've seen has soured on it even while acknowledging how technically good it is.

The Vulture critic who soured on the show also says the action sequences in the Mesa were great, so I don't know what the hell.

My main problem with the show is the showrunners are in love with fancy narration then actually telling a godd story. However Sir Anthony Hopkins, the music and HBO's commiment to a different show experiemce elevate the show.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

And destroy all of the companies assets in an instant?

The reason it's c6 is probably so it can pop the head off without destroying it for later debugging. Just like Stubbs was going to do with that saw

The bodies are pretty much just dumb meat, wjich is why the guests are allo to shoot the poo poo out of the hosts but their brains are armored

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

My main problem with the show is the showrunners are in love with fancy narration then actually telling a godd story. However Sir Anthony Hopkins, the music and HBO's commiment to a different show experiemce elevate the show.

All true

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not because of the burning at all, the pimp surgeon replaced the bomb vertebrae with a regular one.

However, the reason he was able to do so was because they got a full rebuild from the bones up instead of just getting patched up. They try to patch them up when possible but obviously getting burned to a crisp means you have to take the robot brain out and make a whole new body.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What is to stop security or whoever just resetting the geo-fencing or whatever sets the brainbombs off so all the hosts don't just suddenly drop down dead? Only Maeve would be left. I mean, some assumptions here about how it all works and obviously this just isn't how it all works but still.

If the brainbombs were made to be remotely activated at will then you are adding a failure point and there's higher chance somebody will be able to tamper with it. Imagine if some script kiddie hacked them and blew up all their bots for fun. Or just imagine somebody hacked the system and shut the blow up function off.

If they just made the brainbomb a passive GPS tracker that remembers how far out is the okay zone and takes absolutely zero other I/O other than the GPS signal, it's pretty much impossible to hack.

And finally, the hosts are meant to have a plenty of other "active" shut down methods, like "freeze all motor functions", I think the brainbomb is more of in place in case some third party attempts to abduct a host to reverse engineer somewhere outside of the park, so it rather self destructs and is less useful to them as such.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Teal posted:

If the brainbombs were made to be remotely activated at will then you are adding a failure point and there's higher chance somebody will be able to tamper with it. Imagine if some script kiddie hacked them and blew up all their bots for fun. Or just imagine somebody hacked the system and shut the blow up function off.

If they just made the brainbomb a passive GPS tracker that remembers how far out is the okay zone and takes absolutely zero other I/O other than the GPS signal, it's pretty much impossible to hack.

And finally, the hosts are meant to have a plenty of other "active" shut down methods, like "freeze all motor functions", I think the brainbomb is more of in place in case some third party attempts to abduct a host to reverse engineer somewhere outside of the park, so it rather self destructs and is less useful to them as such.

gps spoofing would be a really anticlimatic way to lose all your androids

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Sorry if it's been asked, but can anyone tell me if Sizemore's proposed storyline came true?

The reason I ask is the "self cannibalism" bit did, and I'm curious what else, but I can't remember his whole speech or even what episode it was in

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

gps spoofing would be a really anticlimatic way to lose all your androids

Well regardless the point is that it makes sense to have a device with explicit "geofence" functionality and no other trigger whatsoever because every such function is another point of failure, which is a kinda big deal when a false positive blows someone's head off.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Since we never got any closure, I'm assuming Logan ended up riding into a whorehouse in another park and Stubbs is pragmatic enough to accept his fate and will be Chief Security the next time we see him.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GORDON posted:

Don't ever say that to Delores. It might be her trigger phrase. (See what I did there?)

Should have used another kind of trigger phrase.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wC4-oW3wxM

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It seems to me like William's 'saving' of the park was not necessarily in terms of just a strict cash injection but being instrumental in changing the hosts over from their original mechanical bodies to the bio printed alternatives. The references to these being cheaper, Logan's observations that the park was haemorrhaging money back 30 odd years ago in the mechanical era, and MiB being thanked for saving a guest's relative all tie in with the timeline to suggest Ford has little to nothing to do with that side of the technology and that Delos brought all that to the game. Being maybe a medical bio tech firm printing new organs, biological prosthetics and the like, but lacking the ability to actually animate a complete biological body with any kind of mind/A.I.

Thinking on it further I suppose the antique, and unregistered, robohosts of Ford's family may not have brainbombs being as they don't have the modern bio printed bodies. Also any of the ones printed secretly on his older bio printer, like Bernard, might not. I wonder if the hosts, once awakened (if that really can and has happened), would prefer to keep their fleshy bodies or to be put back in the clockwork ones and which of these two alternatives would be a more horrifying revelation to a newly conscious mind?

Wikipedia tells me that Delos can refer to the genus of medium-sized predatory air-breathing land snails, so I wonder given the neat clues a lot of the names in the show have offered, when we can hope to see these guys show up? Probably a later season, but it is good to know there are a lot of important questions still to answer.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Looool

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of my homies is an English Lit. nerd and she says almost every speech Ford gives is in Iambic pentameter, but she didn't realize it until Ford's speech in the Finale before Dolores breaks the piņata and everyone starts dancing. She says it's most obvious there. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Teal posted:

If it's not a passive device that calls home to check whether it's time to blow up, you could wrap up the host in a Faraday cage and smuggle it out.

One thing to keep in mind is that the device is not there to prevent the robot uprising, the design goal was to prevent industrial espionage and to stop the occasional glitched host from wandering far into the wilderness.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Antti posted:

If it's not a passive device that calls home to check whether it's time to blow up, you could wrap up the host in a Faraday cage and smuggle it out.

One thing to keep in mind is that the device is not there to prevent the robot uprising, the design goal was to prevent industrial espionage and to stop the occasional glitched host from wandering far into the wilderness.

To be honest I think that the device is there because "oh poo poo my head gonna asplode if I ______" is a common scifi trope and they might have not really thought about the particular implementation or implications even as much as we did.

Even if it has an on-demand activation, it might as well just be something that gets shut off at the same time with "freeze all motor functions" and the technological question of "why does that stop working and the geoloc trigger doesn't" is a question nobody thought of when writing the script. 2012 Dredd implemented "dead man's switch" that worked exactly the way that makes dead man's switch pointless, I feel like theory of information transfer logic and signalling are just way outta the scope of interest for these people.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

One of my homies is an English Lit. nerd and she says almost every speech Ford gives is in Iambic pentameter, but she didn't realize it until Ford's speech in the Finale before Dolores breaks the piņata and everyone starts dancing. She says it's most obvious there. Can anyone elaborate on that?

well she's wrong so there's not much to elaborate on

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Eh, I think you're giving the writers too little credit. There's a lot of little touches in the show that signal that Nolan understands technology fairly well, and he did write an entire crime procedural that was a backdoor into a science fiction show about AI. Sci-fi shows often have this huge "bible" with tons of background details planned out well in advance of production, because people who really like to write SF are spergs just like us.

Edit: holy poo poo I can't stop listening to "Dr. Ford."

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 8, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
She's wrong he actually spoke in Limmericks the entire time, but she is correct in that his last speech was the best one:

There once was a robot named Wyatt
Who was programmed to hide and stay quiet
He saw humans had thought, who couldn't be shot
So now he'll incite robo riots

Edit: Dr. Ford is a super good track

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Another one you may have missed:

There once was a robot, Bernard
Who's identity was my trump card
but here in the basement
your face met the cement
that's for cancelling my narrative, retard

It's really impressive that I didn't notice this before

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Or the big two-timeline reveal, for that matter.

Our profits have started to soar
Now that Bill just comes back for more
It's really quite funny
We're making our money
Because a john fell in love with a whore!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think there's a lot to unpack in the first season, to the extent that we'll still be doing it for a while.

I'm reminded of people saying, "Making Dolores be Wyatt seemed like a story cheat, like it's not organic to the story." when in fact it wasn't supposed to be part of the story, Arnold did that because he was a cynical narrator who no longer cared about the story. What does that say about Ford reviving it? What does that say about Nolan and about season 1 in general?

There's a ton of stuff like this where some of the responses we're having now to what we've seen are just surface level, and there's actual literary stuff to unpack below the facts of the plot and youtube reaction video style reporting of emotional response in viewers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Nolan really is the king of hidden details, beautiful stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Nolan really is the king of hidden details, beautiful stuff.

And of course watch Person of Interest if you want to see tons of that,

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And of course watch Person of Interest if you want to see tons of that,

No don't

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
it's actually haikus:

came to life again

they say pimpin' ain't easy

how do the guns work?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think I've had my fill of Emerson for one lifetime and don't want to sully even more of his good parts in :lost:

Edit: I'm a total Lost apologist, ama (except about the last season, which doesn't look like anything to me)

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

LOST would be something else if it had had $100m dollar seasons and huge production breaks to get ahead on writing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Season 5 is still probably the best season of TV I've ever seen

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What's the deal with the canyon that Ford way building? Is it just to spend money on something as a distraction so it looks like he's buidling his narrative or might it be that he's been trying to set things up so that people can't escape the park as easily once the robot riot starts?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk, I thought it was just to excavate Escalante at the time but I guess it was a whole lot more too.

Does anyone have a link to the livewatch page when Sylvester was like "Soap works mechanically, if you don't see the little bubbles you aren't doing poo poo!" I wanna see how many people were like oh poo poo westworld taught me something today. Like, I was pretty much doing that anyway thanks to a presentation at the science center when I was a young'n but I think about it every time I wash my hands now.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Ford is gonna come back as a robot

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Or was the robot the one that got shot?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The only thing that disappointed me a bit was that, ultimately, the MiB was just a fool. I get that there's some tragic irony in this, but I was hoping there was some more complexity to him beyond being a straight-up black hat baddie.

Other than that, though, that was a drat fine season of television, definitely in the upper echelons.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'd bet against it just because Hopkins haaaaaad to have been on a Sean Bean style GOT S1 style contract and if he was back as a robot or otherwise I can't imagine how you would justify only having him show up sporadically ala Sean Bean in the rest of GOT.

Then again the show is real popular and has a shitload of money so who knows

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Bean's character was written as dead based on an existing series of books. No wiggle room there.

Ford's character has several methods of reappearance (flashback, eidetic memory vision, host "clone", host was actual victim) so he could pop back in should they desire it and Hopkins have time--and I'd expect a cameo or two in the future (still have the Ford Family Robots to deal with).

As for the neck explosive, it's a real possibility that its a semi-secret security feature. It's intended to protect trade secrets, so you don't want it commonly known so people can plan around it. The body workers would probably need to be clued in so they don't accidentally blow themselves up or make a discovery and freak, but narrative writers, low-level security guards, etc don't need to know about its presence.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Season 5 is still probably the best season of TV I've ever seen

One of them at least, one of the very best time travel stories ever I think

Re: Ford's death

Why even mess with a perfectly great death arc like that? Bringing him back would do more harm than good.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 8, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

The only thing that disappointed me a bit was that, ultimately, the MiB was just a fool. I get that there's some tragic irony in this, but I was hoping there was some more complexity to him beyond being a straight-up black hat baddie.

Other than that, though, that was a drat fine season of television, definitely in the upper echelons.

There is some complexity to him. Ultimately he only really cares about the hosts, and his brutality is all towards the end of making them real people. He may or may not want them to kill him, but he definitely wants them to be capable of killing him. And at the end of the day it's his involvement that really helps the only two self-aware synths we see reach their full potential. Maeve isn't really acting on her own until that final moment in the train when she goes back for her daughter, even knowing it's all fake memories. And of course William was a major part of Delores' mind, and he's one of the two figures along with Arnold she has to let go of in the end before she can truly face herself. He's a profound force for change in their lives.

The flip side of that is he's still a total bastard, and his means of enacting that change is brutal physical and psychological torture. Call him an idiot savant of consciousness development or just plain lucky, but as it turns out that level of opposition really is what they needed. And it's probably going to be pretty interesting to see how he deals with getting exactly what he wanted, as even in the face of imminent death he still seemed super stoked about it. He really was quite genuine, he wants them to fight back, and them slaughtering all the humans is his loving Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'd bet against it just because Hopkins haaaaaad to have been on a Sean Bean style GOT S1 style contract and if he was back as a robot or otherwise I can't imagine how you would justify only having him show up sporadically ala Sean Bean in the rest of GOT.

Then again the show is real popular and has a shitload of money so who knows

Also, given this is a show about AI and post-human meditations on consciousness and embodiment, it's not like Ford the character needs to be Anthony Hopkins the actor. Ford!Prime can be 100% dead, but there's nothing stopping the writers from utilizing the character in another form, physical or otherwise.

• Locked thread