Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
By LL does he mean Luelinks? Because that's a blast from the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Minrad posted:

Maple story? Maple story.

Could have sworn the max level in FFXI was 70 when I played it at the NA launch. I quit at around 44, though.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Minrad posted:

Maple story? Maple story.

i've charged enough nx cash on this game to buy a car (well over $40,000 total), and this thread is to kind of keep me from charging any more than i have to per month while also keeping a record of all my goals in the current server and character i am playing.

H-how is this even possible? How in the world could this person have enough money to do that? Or- the more likely scenario- how in the world could their parents justify enabling them like this?!?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
how the gently caress do you spend 40k on a game and get to level 60/250

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
In the late 2000s a lot of people went more than a little crazy with the easy credit that was abundant. I wonder how much debt that dude has racked up at this point.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
How much can I sell my wildstar account for?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Commissar Budgie posted:

How much can I sell my wildstar account for?

Give me $50 and I'll take it off your hands.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

CoffeeBooze posted:

In the late 2000s a lot of people went more than a little crazy with the easy credit that was abundant. I wonder how much debt that dude has racked up at this point.

There were a ton of ways to waste money on that game, too.

Everything in the cash shop back then was temporary unless it was a consumable item you burned, and only lasted 90 days. They didn't cost a whole lot, so you could buy a $20 card and pick an outfit and weapon mask and have a bit left over. Then you had pets which also expired after a few months, with their own special cash shop pet food you bought if you hadn't seen/talked to the special pet npc to find out you could just buy it ingame. And then the pets had their own equips to actually do poo poo, like letting it use hp/mp potions on you (two separate buyable equips btw) or pick up items. And by pick up items, the game literally meant whatever your pet happened to walk over as it trailed behind you. Actually moving around to pick up drops from poo poo you killed, picking up leftover drops from other people or a filter on stuff not to pick up were also entirely separate equips you had to buy.

Nothing I mentioned costs more than a few dollars worth of NX but keep in mind to keep this back then you had to rebuy it every 90 days or else basically everything expired. And this isn't including anything that would even directly benefit your character yet, like exp boosting coupons or scrolls or cubes.

At one point around 2009ish Nexon introduced a short lived auction house kind of thing they called the MTS. I remember a lot of server issues going on around then and issues with people hacking, so the MTS might have been their way of trying to stop people from spending real money offsite which was a way bigger business than you might think. People were making bank on that poo poo when it was in its prime. Anyway, the MTS was a loving godsend for a game as grindy as this, because all the "kill 20 of this monster. Now kill 50 of this other one. Now bring me 40 drops from this other monster which you'll probably have to kill a hundred of to get since it's an uncommon drop that only actually drops when the quest is at this state. Now I need 50 drops from each of the four varieties of stump with an eyeball you been killing this whole time" quests (this is not an exaggeration. This is how quests worked in this game.) could be skipped to an extent if you had a lot of ingame or real money to burn, so that's yet another money sink. There's also the fact that you could put scrolled equips on the MTS, which hackers took full advantage of for tons of free NX, and the upper limit on NX you could ask for was something like :tenbux: worth. So you could also just spend $10-$80 and just fully kit out a character with stuff you had no chance of buying in the free market, where similar things would go for 2.1 billion meso, the max you could possibly hold. This also let the hackers effectively money launder their poo poo, by duping stuff, listing it, and using the money to buy other things to list for meso in the free market. There was one item in particular that got duped to hell and back so much that Nexon just started banning anyone who had it on their character, leading to a lot of people legit buying it (it was a really decent equip) and getting caught up in the sweeps and banned for playing the game without following four different maplestory forums so they could know not to buy something.

$40,000 is on the extreme side but if that dude had been playing on and off for around three or four years I can see that figure happening easily for someone deciding to go "gently caress it" and just whale on the game. Nexon is really good at getting you to spend a lot of money by disguising it in their own currency and breaking it up into a bunch of smaller transactions with non-whole number prices so it never seems like you're spending very much.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Farg posted:

how the gently caress do you spend 40k on a game and get to level 60/250

Given the exp curves in those games I'd be surprised if he was even 10% of the way to max. Yikes.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

That doesn't seem that crazy, there's a few goons in the GW2 thread that seem proud of spending like $10k on Guild Wars 2, an actually kinda sorta almost good game.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
What the gently caress. How? Is there even $10k worth of stuff to buy in GW2? Or was it all loving dye packs?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Legends speak of the gem suicide pact.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

RottenK posted:

Legends speak of the gem suicide pact.

Spill, idk this legend

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
And here I thought the dude who ruined his life spending 25k on Fly for Free items (he mostly handed poo poo out to get people to like him iirc) was the worst.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

What the gently caress. How? Is there even $10k worth of stuff to buy in GW2? Or was it all loving dye packs?

Keys, mainly. Zhulik still bemoans the gem suicide pact occasionally, and it's how we know how much money Arus has spent on GW2. Ballpark, anyway.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/2016-12-08-wildstar-rocketing-into-2017/ i'm amazed this poo poo show keeps trucking along

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
As someone who hasn't followed the GW2 thread in quite a while: What the gently caress was the gem suicide pact? Did people go all in buying gems to convert to gold before conversion rates tanked or something?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

"We've been thinking a lot about meaningful and rewarding progression."

Like hell.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What they should do is announce a spacefaring expansion that takes the players to new planets, then go full Star Citizen and give players who preorder the promise of exclusive spaceships that will unlock when the expansion comes out.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Anoia posted:

"We've been thinking a lot about meaningful and rewarding progression."

Like hell.

They meant for their own careers, and how it would be meaningful and rewarding if they could progress towards working on something that isn't Wildstar.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

As someone who hasn't followed the GW2 thread in quite a while: What the gently caress was the gem suicide pact? Did people go all in buying gems to convert to gold before conversion rates tanked or something?

afaik the gem pact was whenever someone wanted to buy gems they all had to buy gems, so for key sales and stuff

I think it was supposed to be a way to mitigate the amount of money they spent on the game, but it backfired horribly.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

afaik the gem pact was whenever someone wanted to buy gems they all had to buy gems, so for key sales and stuff

I think it was supposed to be a way to mitigate the amount of money they spent on the game, but it backfired horribly.

Actually, it was supposed to be a way to get arus to spend more money on the game, so we could give him poo poo for it. It worked, while also backfiring horribly.

It seems incredibly silly in retrospect. I think back then we just didn't know him well enough.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's like a tontine with no survivors

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Give me $50 and I'll take it off your hands.

You're not allowed to gross more off Wildstar than Nexon does.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's hard to be angry at the people left behind. Most of the shitheads that drove the game into the ground went crawling back to Blizzard or, for some of them, got karmic retribution by being stuck on some random no-name mobile game.

The people still with Wildstar at the very least seem to be listening and doing what they can, like removing whatever archaic pieces of the game's design such as the faction split.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

It's hard to be angry at the people left behind. Most of the shitheads that drove the game into the ground went crawling back to Blizzard or, for some of them, got karmic retribution by being stuck on some random no-name mobile game.

The people still with Wildstar at the very least seem to be listening and doing what they can, like removing whatever archaic pieces of the game's design such as the faction split.

Yeah unfortunately it's really a too little too late situation.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure Wildstar is the game from that webcomic The Trenches.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MisterZimbu posted:

You're not allowed to gross more off Wildstar than Nexon does.

I'd be rather shocked if Nexon grossed anything from Wildstar...

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Deki posted:

I'd be rather shocked if Nexon grossed anything from Wildstar...

Yeah but their net is 0 which puts them miles ahead of anyone who actually worked on it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

30.5 Days posted:

Yeah but their net is 0 which puts them miles ahead of anyone who actually worked on it.

The outsourced QA companies probably did pretty well

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

Didn't they say they were just going to remove it for dungeon queues? They should really get rid of it altogether.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Byolante posted:

The outsourced QA companies probably did pretty well

Either they did extremely well because they basically did no QA or they lost several employees due to mental breakdowns from having to deal with Wildstar before the beta. God it must have been a mess.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Either they did extremely well because they basically did no QA or they lost several employees due to mental breakdowns from having to deal with Wildstar before the beta. God it must have been a mess.

From the people I know who were doing it, they were badly understaffed and Carbine just flat out ignored their tickets most of the time.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

From the people I know who were doing it, they were badly understaffed and Carbine just flat out ignored their tickets most of the time.

If you have ever had to work with QA you'd probably do the same. They're not people, like us.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Gildiss posted:

If you have ever had to work with QA you'd probably do the same. They're not people, like us.

QAs and second tier support staffers always end up being my best buddies because they party like it's the end of the loving world.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
So legit poo poo game?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

EvilElmo posted:

So legit poo poo game?

A fair-to-middling MMO that catered to a dwindling crowd (hardcore raiders) and paid the price for it. It's likely moribund barring some sort of incredible FFXIV:ARR retooling.

I hope some other MMO steals the housing system this game has though.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

A fair-to-middling MMO that catered to a dwindling crowd (hardcore raiders) and paid the price for it. It's likely moribund barring some sort of incredible FFXIV:ARR retooling.

I hope some other MMO steals the housing system this game has though.

Interesting. I would have assumed from the visuals this was a carebear hello kitty funland kind of MMO.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Interesting. I would have assumed from the visuals this was a carebear hello kitty funland kind of MMO.

Noooo. The raids were very good but way more difficult and mechanically complex than WoW.

Ditto dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
loved the setting, art direction and overall aesthetics.
loved the housing system.
absolutely loved the combat mechanics – yes, even though they turned pvp into one huge clusterfuck.

but even all that couldn't outweigh the horrible TEDIUM that permeated every aspect of the game, from questing through crafting, attunement grind (UUUUGHHH!) to endgame progression.

stopped playing about two months after I hit 50.

• Locked thread