Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ocrassus posted:

This move would make more sense to me if there was a set of airpods bundled with the iphone 7. Stand by your vision of the future Apple and put the solution in customer's hands. It's what stebe would have wanted.

they did that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
their vision of the future is 'wireless' so bundle us some wireless headphones Apple.

it would wipe out almost every criticism of this decision.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hm i have an iphone 7 and only carry one pair of headphones when i travel. is it possible the friends you made up are idiots?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

zen death robot posted:

that's a rude thing to call my ears dammit :mad:

i only use vibration sound wearables, get with the program grandpa

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Iirc the old HTC Mogul had a hosed up port that required a dongle to plug headphones in. It was rightly poo poo on.

Apr 7, 2003

I work until 4 or 4:30 and then I'm out and about and frequently not home until 8:30 or 9:00 PM. I guess if you go right home after work every day you may not understand why someone would want to charge and listen to music at the same time.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

I work until 4 or 4:30 and then I'm out and about and frequently not home until 8:30 or 9:00 PM. I guess if you go right home after work every day you may not understand why someone would want to charge and listen to music at the same time.

one of the few times i'll agree with tori

Apr 7, 2003

man sitting alone in a dark, dank apartment covered in cat hair: why would anyone ever need to charge their phone and listen to music at the same time??

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

I'm married so my wife would be a little annoyed at my alcoholism and I can charge my phone in my car while using bt to listen to things just fine

*rides the train home to charge the phone in his car before going to class*

Apr 7, 2003

I am also married and my wife works about a five minute walk from my office and we frequently do things after work together. Very cool that you can't comprehend a situation like that and think everyone lives your life, though.

Apr 7, 2003

That's quite a corner you've painted yourself into trying to justify apple's hosed up design decisions.

Apr 7, 2003

*apple fanboy to person who goes to theater and dinner after work and needs a charged phone until 9 pm or later*: "you're holding it wrong lol"

Apr 7, 2003

Can't do that and listen to music at the same time.

It's says a lot about you that you can't imagine someone might do anything other than drive home immediately after work. Kind of sad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zen death robot posted:

it says a lot about you that you don't socialize with your coworkers long enough to take your earbuds out of your skull to find time to charge your phone

why do you think he spends so much time on here shitposting?

hint: it's not his choice

Apr 7, 2003

I can leave both plugged in with the superior Steve Edition, so I don't have to play Tim's hosed up dongle shuffle. Lmao at you.

Apr 7, 2003

It's shameful as gently caress that you do nothing with your life and assume that everyone else also does nothing with their life, so what works for you should work for them. I feel bad for laughing at you now.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
whole lotta heated dongle talk itt

just buy a google pixel, it has a headphone jack and Android 7.1 Nougat

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

i am just so angry about headphones!! lol if you don't use corded headphones for their intended purpose which is autoerotic asphyxiation.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

I'm gonna rename you Citizen Trump

lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i'm looking forward to laptop dongles; maybe then we'll get something that resembles a docking station

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

just buy a google pixel, it has a headphone jack and Android 7.1 Nougat

lol like I'd ever consider having a green bubble

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

C.H.O.M.E posted:

optical drives were very important for a while when a CD was 700 MB and you had a PowerMac 6100 with a 250MB hard drive. by the time they were phased out you could store several CDs on your multiple gigabyte hard drive in your laptop and get by if you wanted.

the 3.5mm jack is still useful and I don't want to charge things or use a dumb lightning headphone that my literally $4000 brand new mac will not even use without a dongle. everyone I know who has an iPhone 7 now complains about carrying two sets of headphones when they travel. this is dumb beyond belief. eliminating the headphone jack when even you, the headphone jack ditching company, can not release a proper wireless replacement product, is amazingly stupid and bad.

i can't even buy apple's vision of The Future here, they have not released the airpods, they either don't work right or they don't get the battery life or something, but they are not out yet. get it right if you are going to pull this stupid poo poo and ditch something everyone uses that works great.

I think the real deep down issue people have about the lack of the headphone jack is that the phone got jack poo poo in return for it.

taking out the optical drive gave about 170cm^3 of space which apple used to boost battery capacity into the "you can actually use this all day" region while also making the rmbp slimmer.

apple used the space they saved by taking out the headphone jack to give the phone a fake-clicky button.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they added water resistance, but other phones with a headphone jacks had that too

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
the amount of time Tori spends defending his ability to physically tether himself to his desk for 8 hours a day would more than cover any time spent charging a Bluetooth headphone or the cognitive load of having to remember to charge it a couple times a week, and also the other benefits of Bluetooth including being able to move freely around a room while still charging your phone and listening to music and the same or superior audio quality

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shifty Pony posted:

apple used the space they saved by taking out the headphone jack to give the phone a fake-clicky button.

no the fake clicky button was coming anyway, they traded the headphone jack for a fake speaker grille for the barometer

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
lol it has a barometer?

Apr 7, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

the amount of time Tori spends defending his ability to physically tether himself to his desk for 8 hours a day would more than cover any time spent charging a Bluetooth headphone or the cognitive load of having to remember to charge it a couple times a week, and also the other benefits of Bluetooth including being able to move freely around a room while still charging your phone and listening to music and the same or superior audio quality

You're really going to some bizarre lengths to justify removing a feature hundreds of millions of people use every day.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

C.H.O.M.E posted:

yes and I do all of this with my headphones plugged in and my phone in my pocket. no one spins. if you need to get up and go for a walk and stretch, take out your headphones, go grab a coworker friend, and walk to the cafe and get a cucumber mint water or one of the many other infused waters available to you. whatever you do, don't sit in your cube and spin like a dork.

My office only has one type of infused water in the break room but it changes every day. I spin for a living.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

no the fake clicky button was coming anyway, they traded the headphone jack for a fake speaker grille for the barometer

The fake clicky button is rather nice and I'm enjoying it until it breaks sometime next year.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

emoji posted:

My office only has one type of infused water in the break room but it changes every day. I spin for a living.

Strawberry basil is the best infused water. Lemon infused water is bullshit it's barely perceptible and now there's pulp in my water. I just get the raspberry lemonade from the fancy coke machine.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tk posted:

Strawberry basil is the best infused water. Lemon infused water is bullshit it's barely perceptible and now there's pulp in my water. I just get the raspberry lemonade from the fancy coke machine.

i am drinking raspberry water

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

lol it has a barometer?

they've had barometers since the iphone 6

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

zen death robot posted:

*plug your phone in for like 45 minutes at work idiot lol*

Like an android in 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Endless Mike posted:

yea finally caught up to android there but the new google pixel phone has a hall effect sensor so expect that on iphone 9 :nexus:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

When's the rectal thermometer sensor being added? Thanks and God bless

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Progressive JPEG posted:

When's the rectal thermometer sensor being added? Thanks and God bless

oh, i can offer you a dongle for that right now #donglepuns

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

that means I've had one on my primary posting device and never used it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

that means I've had one on my primary posting device and never used it
yeah, it doesn't surprise me that you would never walk up stairs out of your mom's basement

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, it doesn't surprise me that you would never walk up stairs out of your mom's basement

jfc bruh that's like a .01/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

im gonna get a surface phone when its finally out

• Locked thread