Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Haha, Raceflight recommends the use of o-rings with their fancy controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Haha, Raceflight recommends the use of o-rings with their fancy controller.

You're not wrong

Dampen the vibes!

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 6, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's kind of hilarious, given their past high and mighty attitude about their awesome filters that'd supposedly nip vibration in the bud, so much that it could continue to fly on severely broken props, not to mention this stupid poo poo about the center gyro, but now you get o-rings with it to get poo poo under control.

Well, their super secret gyro turned out to be yet another InvenSense IMU related to the MPU6500, which is prone to ultrasound vibrations typical of high revving brushless motors, so... surprise!

--edit: missing words

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 6, 2016

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So I sold my Toretto 130 and bought most of the stuff to build a SCX 140 to replace it. It's been crazy just buying the stuff for it:

Motors will be Tornado 1407's (I love the 2205's and these look like the nicest 3" motors right now), three had to come from CA and I got the last one plus a spare from Canada.

Frame is out of stock everywhere and they are made to order at Armattan and I'm not waiting two weeks for it. This is a mini quad! It will be obsolete in two weeks FFS! I found one NIB in the classifieds on RCG and sent the guy a message.

I really wanted to run a Kiss AIO on it but who knows when they will be out.

Trying a 4 in 1 Cicada and Omnibus on it since it was as cheap as a regular FC at PitchRollYaw.

For anyone looking at a Toretto, here's what I didn't love about it:

1. The Furious mini receiver is not that good. Had a few failsafes. I guess they have a new one now that is much better.

2. The camera sucks. Well, it's not terrible, on par with a whoop camera, but nowhere near a HS1177. Blurry images and no way to change exposure for flying in low light. Also can't run a GoPro lens.

3. It's got some weak spots. It took a while to break it but the top and bottom plates all broke at some really obvious spots.

It flies amazing though. I hope the SCX will fly the same but with better picture and more durable.

Edit: the frame was built but his ad is still up, the rear end in a top hat. gently caress. What's a good 3" frame?

Edit 2: getting an avant X3. It will be a baby brother to my 5" Alien!

Edit 3: the avant ships from goddamn Macau :wtc:

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 6, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i own every Bionicle posted:

So I sold my Toretto 130 and bought most of the stuff to build a SCX 140 to replace it. It's been crazy just buying the stuff for it:

Motors will be Tornado 1407's (I love the 2205's and these look like the nicest 3" motors right now), three had to come from CA and I got the last one plus a spare from Canada.

Frame is out of stock everywhere and they are made to order at Armattan and I'm not waiting two weeks for it. This is a mini quad! It will be obsolete in two weeks FFS! I found one NIB in the classifieds on RCG and sent the guy a message.

I really wanted to run a Kiss AIO on it but who knows when they will be out.

Trying a 4 in 1 Cicada and Omnibus on it since it was as cheap as a regular FC at PitchRollYaw.

For anyone looking at a Toretto, here's what I didn't love about it:

1. The Furious mini receiver is not that good. Had a few failsafes. I guess they have a new one now that is much better.

2. The camera sucks. Well, it's not terrible, on par with a whoop camera, but nowhere near a HS1177. Blurry images and no way to change exposure for flying in low light. Also can't run a GoPro lens.

3. It's got some weak spots. It took a while to break it but the top and bottom plates all broke at some really obvious spots.

It flies amazing though. I hope the SCX will fly the same but with better picture and more durable.

Edit: the frame was built but his ad is still up, the rear end in a top hat. gently caress. What's a good 3" frame?

Edit 2: getting an avant X3. It will be a baby brother to my 5" Alien!

Edit 3: the avant ships from goddamn Macau :wtc:

Hopefully you got the 3mm main plate. If not, well, I hope it's a fun maiden flight because with 1407's it won't be lasting much longer:( they're pretty punishing even with a 3mm plate.

I won't fly anything 3" other than my custom cut 4mm frames anymore. My graveyard is ridiculous. I don't understand the grandma style of flying that popularized sub 3mm frames. If you're not aiming for tiny gaps and full throttle 1inch from the ground why even go that small? Horsebones I say!

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 6, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

Hopefully you got the 3mm main plate. If not, well, I hope it's a fun maiden flight because with 1407's it won't be lasting much longer:( they're pretty punishing even with a 3mm plate.

I won't fly anything 3" other than my custom cut 4mm frames anymore. I don't understand the grandma style of flying that popularized sub 3mm frames. If you're not aiming for tiny gaps and full throttle 1inch from the ground why even go that small? Horsebones I say!

I'm not sure if all carbon is made equal, but I've beaten up my Morphite 180 with 2205's a lot and so far it's held up remarkably well...and it's 3mm. Most of the flying is in an concrete parking garage with 6'6" ceilings, so it's been trashed about. First frame literally got ground down before anything broke.
I'm doing a custom version of it and I'm currently inclined to keep it 3mm and save a fair chunk of weight. With 1407s, he should be perfectly fine.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm not sure if all carbon is made equal, but I've beaten up my Morphite 180 with 2205's a lot and so far it's held up remarkably well...and it's 3mm. Most of the flying is in an concrete parking garage with 6'6" ceilings, so it's been trashed about. First frame literally got ground down before anything broke.
I'm doing a custom version of it and I'm currently inclined to keep it 3mm and save a fair chunk of weight. With 1407s, he should be perfectly fine.

Yeah that's armattan carbon which is the same stuff I get cut. It's some of the best imo. But I've still managed to break a Morphite 155. Free replacement of course.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

I won't fly anything 3" other than my custom cut 4mm frames anymore. My graveyard is ridiculous. I don't understand the grandma style of flying that popularized sub 3mm frames. If you're not aiming for tiny gaps and full throttle 1inch from the ground why even go that small? Horsebones I say!

Yes definitely, I went for the 3mm main plate. I hope it's durable too as this is going to be my beater quad for diving and gapping stupid things and generally getting in practice when I don't want to risk destroying my alien.

I'm thinking I'll run 3x3x4 props in an effort to mimic the feel of a 5" setup and limit speed a little.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm not sure if all carbon is made equal,

Definitely not equal. There's all sorts of ways to make carbon as lovely and as fragile as PCB silicon. There's also plenty of ways of making G10 fiberglass ridiculously strong and crash resistant.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I tried my best to not care about drones but gently caress it I want one. Apologies if this isn't the best thread for this but here's my situation. Before dropping fat stacks on something like a Phantom 4 and flying it straight into a river I want to learn on a cheaper one first. My only desires are "decent" video, solid handling, and better than 5 minutes or so battery life. Under $200 would be ideal but isn't a hard limit. I've looked around the internet and honestly the options are so numerous that I barely have a clue what the beginner options really are. Help?

Also are any of these worth it for 30% off or are they mostly cheap toys?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Kilometers Davis posted:

I tried my best to not care about drones but gently caress it I want one. Apologies if this isn't the best thread for this but here's my situation. Before dropping fat stacks on something like a Phantom 4 and flying it straight into a river I want to learn on a cheaper one first. My only desires are "decent" video, solid handling, and better than 5 minutes or so battery life. Under $200 would be ideal but isn't a hard limit. I've looked around the internet and honestly the options are so numerous that I barely have a clue what the beginner options really are. Help?

There are like, three main kinds of drones. There are aerial photography drones like the Phantoms and Inspires which have a camera on a stabilizing gimbal, GPS for flying which requires zero skill (just some common sense), brushless motors, and digital video link to a phone. These cost from about 300 bucks for a Phantom 3 Standard (which you should probably consider) up. There are FPV racing drones which you either build or maybe sometimes buy ready to go which have no gimbal, an analog video link usually to goggles, brushless motors. They range from 200-900 depending on what you put into them. Then there are toys with no or gimmicky camera/video link, no gimbal, no GPS, brushed motors, no replacement parts available, and are either good fun toys like the 15 dollar Cheerson CX10 or garbage masquerading as photography or racing drones. If you buy anything that meets the description of column C for more than 50 bucks you are probably wasting your money on trash.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The nanos are fun but A) don't spend more than $20 (check Amazon) and B) it will feel nothing at all like flying a phantom or any aerial photography drone.

You'll have to make a pretty solid commitment up front if you want a rock solid stable flyer to get cool pictures from the sky, or if you want to experience flying into a cement wall at 60 mph from first person view and rebuilding your poo poo a lot. This is going to narrow down your choices real quick.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks guys! It seems like I'm definitely in the aerial photography group. The super fast stuff seems fun but I really just want to chill out and fly around looking at nature/my city and making interesting videos. I didn't even realize the Phantom 3 was that cheap, for some reason I remembered seeing way higher prices when I last looked.

e: I just had a quick look at a few YouTube videos shot with the 3 standard and yeah I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I'm looking for. Very stable, solid image quality. Is there any competition around that price point?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 7, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The competition has collapsed in various ways. Physically or otherwise. The only group in the us pretending they're competing at anything other than the high end are yuneec. And nothing at the p3s price point.

You can get a toy model that holds a fake GoPro style camera for about 160 though (syma x8hg)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm kind of the same as you except I found out I'm getting a Mavic Pro for Christmas. My question to the experts here is how difficult is it to fly these things? Is there some sort of simulator I should mess around with? I've never flown a drone in my life so I have no idea what to expect other than being scared of destroying/losing it the first time I try to fly it.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Get a toy micro drone for $20 and fly it around until xmas. Once your Mavic comes it will feel like a Mercedes Benz after you've been riding a bike for the month.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Vitamin J posted:

Get a toy micro drone for $20 and fly it around until xmas. Once your Mavic comes it will feel like a Mercedes Benz after you've been riding a bike for the month.

This.

Make sure you buy one with prop guards, so you can bounce it off the walls without damage.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thanks guys, ordered one off Amazon to mess around with.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

So a guy I work with bought a mavic as his first ever drone. Tried to make it fly. Got frustrated that it wouldn't get a gps lock and wouldn't fly without one in beginner mode. So then he disabled beginner mode took off and as it drifted in atti mode freaked out and dumb thumbed it into his garage door breaking three of the props. Somehow he didn't manage to break anything more expensive.

He is a clever first time drone user.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

mashed_penguin posted:

Got frustrated that it wouldn't get a gps lock and wouldn't fly without one in beginner mode. So then he disabled beginner mode took off and as it drifted in atti mode freaked out and dumb thumbed it into his garage door

I hate humans

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I wonder why it didn't have GPS lock. I'll bet there are a few huge bugs with the first units because DJI :china:

Also, http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20161207/women-sue-groom-say-drone-struck-them-at-wedding

People got seriously hosed up by what was either a Phantom hauling rear end or maybe something bigger. I wonder if it was a Phantom 3 or newer, which would be interesting since DJI advertises them as being safe indoors (of course they don't really care if they aren't because :china: )

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I can't understand how people don't see quads as flying blenders, but then I remember that most people have no prior exposure that would make them think so :shrug:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

quote:

The drone's propeller allegedly cut Ellis' forehead open, causing a large laceration that required at least 20 stitches to close, according to McCullough. She also suffered a concussion as result, he wrote.

Eaton was allegedly struck in the head with the drone, which the suit states fractured Eaton's orbital bones and nose, as well as caused a concussion and head injury.

:chanpop:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

i own every Bionicle posted:

I wonder why it didn't have GPS lock. I'll bet there are a few huge bugs with the first units because DJI :china:

Also, http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/20161207/women-sue-groom-say-drone-struck-them-at-wedding

People got seriously hosed up by what was either a Phantom hauling rear end or maybe something bigger. I wonder if it was a Phantom 3 or newer, which would be interesting since DJI advertises them as being safe indoors (of course they don't really care if they aren't because :china: )

I'm not sure. He got it working the next day after updating all the firmware and poo poo. It is a very impressive looking machine, very well put together and the gimbal is so cute :3:

DJI does seem to have improved their track record lately but they are still a very obtuse company when it comes to acknowledging any problems.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm not sure. He got it working the next day after updating all the firmware and poo poo. It is a very impressive looking machine, very well put together and the gimbal is so cute :3:

DJI does seem to have improved their track record lately but they are still a very obtuse company when it comes to acknowledging any problems.

Well as he was alluding too, that is basically every Chinese company ever.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

subx posted:

Well as he was alluding too, that is basically every Chinese company ever.

:agreed:

The only reason I know the guys "I hosed up" story is he was asking me for help as his goto "drone expert" I was trying to get to the bottom of it without hurting his feelings. I've strongly suggested learning to fly it in the middle of an open field vs on the balcony outside the office. We will see what happens.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

mashed_penguin posted:

:agreed:

The only reason I know the guys "I hosed up" story is he was asking me for help as his goto "drone expert" I was trying to get to the bottom of it without hurting his feelings. I've strongly suggested learning to fly it in the middle of an open field vs on the balcony outside the office. We will see what happens.

Learning to fly anywhere around other people (if you want to fly it near yourself, that's all on you) is always a terrible idea. Is this balcony over a parking lot or anything? I mean if it's not, whatever its his money if he won't listen to your advice.

And yea, there are some decent quality Chinese stuff around, but getting any sort of support or recalls and such is really, really rare.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

subx posted:

Learning to fly anywhere around other people (if you want to fly it near yourself, that's all on you) is always a terrible idea. Is this balcony over a parking lot or anything? I mean if it's not, whatever its his money if he won't listen to your advice.

Its even better its within 400m of an active heliport. Which I have pointed out and said is not a good idea to fly anywhere near.

Its ok though he assures me he won't fly anywhere near that :shepicide:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm so close to going for the Phantom 3 as my first drone but man gently caress Chinese companies. It's making it so hard to pull the trigger on it knowing that if it works then I'm good to go, if it has issues then lol good god drat luck.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

Its even better its within 400m of an active heliport. Which I have pointed out and said is not a good idea to fly anywhere near.

Its ok though he assures me he won't fly anywhere near that :shepicide:

If it's not screaming at him about that in dji go, it's likely still class g airspace. I guess he could try looking up an office number and let them know when he'll be flying

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm so close to going for the Phantom 3 as my first drone but man gently caress Chinese companies. It's making it so hard to pull the trigger on it knowing that if it works then I'm good to go, if it has issues then lol good god drat luck.

Name an American consumer drone manufacturer that hasn't crashed and burned spectacularly. Phantom support is slow but not like it used to be a year or two ago if you're that worried (or buy it from a seller that also handles support - there are several)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah just buy it from B&H Photo, or hell, Best Buy with a credit card and you'll have it warrantied through the store and your credit card, as well as DJI.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

If it's not screaming at him about that in dji go, it's likely still class g airspace. I guess he could try looking up an office number and let them know when he'll be flying

Its the downtown Vancouver Harbour which is class C afaik. It has active seaplanes and helicopters all day long. In terms of silly places to fly in vancouver its probably second only to the YVR approach for bad places to choose. For some reason DJI doesn't have it in their no fly zone system. Apparently their database for Canadian locations isn't that great.

It shows up on skyvector as CYHC 25/SFC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Harbour_Flight_Centre#Operations

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah just buy it from B&H Photo, or hell, Best Buy with a credit card and you'll have it warrantied through the store and your credit card, as well as DJI.

That's a good idea and certainly makes me feel safer about the purchase.

I noticed that the 4K camera equipped one on B&H is the same price as the standard. Am I missing anything here or is the 4K the obvious choice?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1208608-REG/dji_phantom_3_4k.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175626-REG/dji_cp_pt_000168_phantom_3_standard_with.html

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I noticed that the 4K camera equipped one on B&H is the same price as the standard. Am I missing anything here or is the 4K the obvious choice?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175626-REG/dji_cp_pt_000168_phantom_3_standard_with.html

I'm seein $100 difference

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

Its the downtown Vancouver Harbour which is class C afaik. It has active seaplanes and helicopters all day long. In terms of silly places to fly in vancouver its probably second only to the YVR approach for bad places to choose. For some reason DJI doesn't have it in their no fly zone system. Apparently their database for Canadian locations isn't that great.

It shows up on skyvector as CYHC 25/SFC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Harbour_Flight_Centre#Operations

If you want to be cheeky you can contact Brendan Schulmann about it on twitter or facebook, and there is a decent chance it will be fixed.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

If you want to be cheeky you can contact Brendan Schulmann about it on twitter or facebook, and there is a decent chance it will be fixed.

That's not a bad idea. The VPD was called on a couple flying an inspire over the seaplane dock a month or too back. I'm generally pretty chill on the whole "drone police" thing but this spot is pretty drat photogenic and seems to draw drones to it like moths to a flame.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Anybody here with a Foxeer Legend 2? I'm trying to disable its OSD so I can use one cam as both the recording cam and FPV cam. I can't find jack poo poo as far as a manual or anything, and the Android app does not seem to have the ability to change it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

UAV update:
Lots of and lots of small things, most which are not very exciting, but progress has been steady. All parts* has been bought/manufactured and it's mostly just down to wiring.
Main power-harness was installed yesterday and today I mounted the safety-switch and USB port for the pixhawk. Had to re-wire the USB port as it was mounted on a PCB that really only made it usable for 'inside' mounting, so that ate up an hour+. Then spent lots of time fiddling with cutting more thread on the nylon bolts of the wings and then trying to make sure that it got mounted in the right places.
I cut slots in the fuselage mounting plates as I wasn't initially sure where it would sit, but that now makes gluing the bolts in place a lot harder and eventually cut out some spacers, so that I can access the slots with the bolts more or less square. Still debating whether to just use hotglue or make a epoxy-paste. Hotglue will be removable, but doesn't grip nylon that well, epoxy will be much harder to change mounting position if needed.
It's going to be tight to have it ready for maiden after Xmas, but it's still doable goal.

While I was messing about with the wing mounting, I also realized that the usual over the shoulder toss for launching is going to bring (front mounted) propeller
*very* close to the face of the tosser, so I think an overhead two-handed launch will be much more comfortable. This will be a less powerful throw, so it better fly well!!

* My 3D printer had 2 power supplies blow up on it in one week, so I still need to make a bottom battery cover, but for now, I'll just a piece of coroplast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kilometers Davis posted:

Update time! It looks like I'll be diving into the drone world with a Phantom 3 Pro. It's currently $200 off at Best Buy and felt like the perfect choice. Sad I missed their $300 off sale by a day but it's still a great price. Now to get the FAA licensing stuff done and look up tutorials on how to not fly into trees.

Honestly I'm completely and utterly pumped though. It's bringing back the rc obsession I had as a kid, it was always such a fascinating hobby to me. The furthest I ever got into air stuff was buying a wonky rc helicopter from a flea market and nearly losing it on my first flight before sticking it in the closet. This should be quite a bit smoother. I'm only a few minutes away from Daytona Beach and am dying to get great ocean footage. I'm the kind of person that could stare at the clouds and take photos of the sky for hours so getting the chance to "be" up there visually is a dream come true.