Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Data Graham posted:

"There's too much gauss in my monitor" *BWWOOONNNNGGGG*

An old co-worker of mine always used the phrase "Step on degauss to make Van Gogh" whenever the screen went all distorted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Claptain posted:

A ticket came in.

"I'm replying to this email, but it's bouncing back!"
"Ok, let me check."

To: no-reply@company.com

Stupid, lazy companies that don't properly configure a no reply address. Especially when there is a legit email address they could be replying to instead!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Do you use LinkedIn and think to yourself "man why don't I get more spammy notifications". Well now you can! With LinkedIn notifications inside the Windows action center!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/microsoft-linkedin-beginning-our-journey-together-satya-nadella

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pr0digal posted:

Do you use LinkedIn and think to yourself "man why don't I get more spammy notifications". Well now you can! With LinkedIn notifications inside the Windows action center!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/microsoft-linkedin-beginning-our-journey-together-satya-nadella

You've got to be loving kidding me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

I sometimes kind of miss the degauss button. :unsmith:

Long ago I found a monitor in a server closet that had been sealed off for at least ten years just glowing away. Not counting the command prompt burn in, the thwack sound that screen made when I pressed the button was righteous.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Long ago I found a monitor in a server closet that had been sealed off for at least ten years just glowing away. Not counting the command prompt burn in, the thwack sound that screen made when I pressed the button was righteous.

The Server of Amontillado?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Yeah. it was an OS/2 backup email server that had been been walled off when the cube farm was reconfigured and the hallway was changed apparently. We found it while assigning static IPs after we expanded the offices and started conflicting with it. Nobody currently at the company had been there from the time when the server was concealed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

http://bash.org/?5273

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

For the love of asset tagging, Montresor, for the LOVE OF ASSET TAGGING!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

This happened to me until I figured out it was my TV that I had put on the network. Spent a good twenty minutes physically checking devices

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Argh tickets are in, roughly 30 tickets assigned to my team, our lead is typically in meetings and dumb poo poo, so it's really me and another guy. The other guy has updated 1 ticket so far this week, and that took maybe an hour of his time.

I don't normally care and track what other people are doing, because i do my poo poo and it's not my business what other people do*.

*Except when I'm having to pick up the slack and as a team we get bitched at for poo poo not getting done. I need to GTFO

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'd like to think there was a moment of the lights dimming and nearby electronics being wiped clean by it :allears:.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

5-block radius EMP.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

5-block radius EMP.

An etherblast you say

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Check for magnets?
Yes, I know that LCD monitors don't work that way

My first TV had my alarm clock sitting on top of it for so long that if it was removed the entire image turned green and distorted.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

larchesdanrew posted:

An etherblast you say

Whatever you do, do NOT plug your monitor into the ethernet!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Whatever you do, do NOT plug your monitor into the ethernet!

But how else am I supposed to power my monitor?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yeah. it was an OS/2 backup email server that had been been walled off when the cube farm was reconfigured and the hallway was changed apparently. We found it while assigning static IPs after we expanded the offices and started conflicting with it. Nobody currently at the company had been there from the time when the server was concealed.

Wasn't it in one of these threads where someone either had directly experienced or was told about a time where this happened because some old grinch lady wanted her computer completely silent and it had been put in the janitor's closet next door, which had then been walled up?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Wasn't it in one of these threads where someone either had directly experienced or was told about a time where this happened because some old grinch lady wanted her computer completely silent and it had been put in the janitor's closet next door, which had then been walled up?

It is the spinning of its hideous fans!

EDIT: God, that was over 6 years ago.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 10, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n0tqu1tesane posted:

But how else am I supposed to power my monitor?

What in the actual gently caress?

What happens if you plug it into something that's at/af at a voltage it's not expecting?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What in the actual gently caress?

What happens if you plug it into something that's at/af at a voltage it's not expecting?

There's still a power brick that your ethernet goes in to, then networking and power come out of to feed the computer.

That thing actually looks rad as hell, figuring most thin client boxes are strapped to the back of screens anyway.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's still a power brick that your ethernet goes in to, then networking and power come out of to feed the computer.

That thing actually looks rad as hell, figuring most thin client boxes are strapped to the back of screens anyway.

Yeah, our touch screen kiosks are all poe. It's pretty neat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The brick is probably optional if you have Cisco switches with UPoE. I'm pretty sure that's a Cisco only PoE implementation and doesn't have an 802.3 working group designation as of yet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sfwarlock posted:

It is the spinning of its hideous fans!

EDIT: God, that was over 6 years ago.

That page is a magical time machine. CEO using an iPad issues. People installing Vista. Fake AV viruses being the big thing. One day we will look back at all this crypto locker stuff and go hey that's easy to deal with, what about Domain Hijack. Which I guess is future malware that joins you to a bogus cloud Domain to steal all your stuff.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

pixaal posted:

future malware that joins you to a bogus cloud Domain to steal all your stuff.

I posted it in one of the earlier threads (couldn't find it in that one), but years ago I had a dream where somebody got malware disguised as a bogus cloud backup service, it would add a drive letter to Windows and encourage you to save files into it. In my dream the user was dragging files full of salary info, banking info, etc. into it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pixaal posted:

That page is a magical time machine. CEO using an iPad issues. People installing Vista. Fake AV viruses being the big thing. One day we will look back at all this crypto locker stuff and go hey that's easy to deal with, what about Domain Hijack. Which I guess is future malware that joins you to a bogus cloud Domain to steal all your stuff.

Also: the term "netbook"

Jaco
Aug 14, 2005
A phone call came in, from previous employer. They're having a bad problem with a [Special File] header and they don't know why. I do, but unfortunately they were not willing to pay the outrageous number of dollars I said it would cost for me to share that information, or how to fix it.

They currently have a guy manually opening files in Notepad++, removing stuff, and resaving them. Seven days a week.

Since I left, they've also implemented an hilariously non-PCI-compliant payment system to complement the actual PCI-compliant payment systems that people slaved over integrating for 18 months.

Basically the people in the new outsourced call centre in a country renowned for its corruption take the card details and enter them at supersecurepay.companyname.com. This doesn't go to any of the secure payment providers they already work with though, oh no, it goes to a webserver in the datacentre, that is not updated or segregated from the other machines in any way.

The app on this box then updates a Google Docs spreadsheet with the customer's PII and card details. This is then accessed by another group, using shared credentials, and entered into an actual billing system.

Their next audit should be interesting.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

carry on then posted:

Also: the term "netbook"

Somewhat hilariously, I still use the netbook in question on a fairly regular basis. It's got an N280 (dual core 32-bit 1.66 ghz Atom), 2 gigs of ram, a "120 gig" ssd [read: about 114gb actual], and runs Mint 18 XFCE beautifully.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I have a MSI U-100 with about the same specs, that I still use all the time. Works perfectly and the battery lasts forever for just writing.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Jaco posted:

A phone call came in, from previous employer. They're having a bad problem with a [Special File] header and they don't know why. I do, but unfortunately they were not willing to pay the outrageous number of dollars I said it would cost for me to share that information, or how to fix it.

Even if they did pay you, there's not an amount of money in the world that would get me involved in that shitshow. When they get blasted into compliance audit hell you're going to want your name as far away from them as possible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Even if they did pay you, there's not an amount of money in the world that would get me involved in that shitshow. When they get blasted into compliance audit hell you're going to want your name as far away from them as possible.

I don't get why people fear this. The company assumes all the risk. Your name coming up has zero relevance. What personal risk do you take at all?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

I don't get why people fear this. The company assumes all the risk. Your name coming up has zero relevance. What personal risk do you take at all?

Reputation is a thing, and having your name there runs the risk of future employers assuming you had something to do with it, and not digging deeper(or digging deeper not having any actual records that you tried to stop it).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

Reputation is a thing, and having your name there runs the risk of future employers assuming you had something to do with it, and not digging deeper(or digging deeper not having any actual records that you tried to stop it).

Well in that case you already had your name there and it's too late. The reality is that likelihood your name is mud rarely is going to happen unless were a high level officer in the company. A systems admin isn't going to be a bleep on the radar unless you make national news like a few have.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

Well in that case you already had your name there and it's too late. The reality is that likelihood your name is mud rarely is going to happen unless were a high level officer in the company. A systems admin isn't going to be a bleep on the radar unless you make national news like a few have.

I don't know about that. Having just moved across the country, it seems that my reputation didn't follow me, since I went from getting new jobs in a hurry to taking months.

Tho it is possible the recruiters are lying to me about the availability of linux admin jobs. It seems to be about 50/50 at this point.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

It might be possible get blacklisted in a city if you really do something stupid to the wrong person. In my city at least there might be <1000 systems administrators of any capacity. That's definitely within reach of "I know a guy, who knows a guy".

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Sickening posted:

Also depends on the industry. If you work in TV/media (production, not broadcast) and you piss off the wrong people there is a drat good chance your name will get around. I swear everybody knows everybody else in the TV/media field, at least the execs.

Jaco
Aug 14, 2005
I'm not worried about further tarnishing my good name. This stuff was done after I left, at the direction of the boss, and implemented by another team. Blaming it on a contractor who spent an hour working on a completely different system, who officially doesn't know about the new stuff at all, seems like a bit of a stretch.

It is a goddamn shitshow, though. And only gonna get much worse.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I hate people who respond to my all-staff informational emails with irrelevant stuff.

Today I sent one because there was going to be server downtime, then an hour later I sent another stating things were back up and normal. FOUR HOURS later, someone responds to the first one saying "thanks". Then one minute later, she responds to the second one with "again, thank you". :psyduck: why are you wasting my time?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
why are you not sending that poo poo out from an unmanaged mailbox :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wa27 posted:

I hate people who respond to my all-staff informational emails with irrelevant stuff.

Today I sent one because there was going to be server downtime, then an hour later I sent another stating things were back up and normal. FOUR HOURS later, someone responds to the first one saying "thanks". Then one minute later, she responds to the second one with "again, thank you". :psyduck: why are you wasting my time?

She's just being nice.

• Locked thread