Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This is the most MTGO.txt thing I've read in a long time.
[/quote]

I'm tempted to write up a quiz of real vs fake MTGO bugs. Some of them are just hard to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

New formats are always cheap until anyone is actually playing them.

Can't wait to have an second chance to get rid of all the Khans cards I was too lazy to flip

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Entropic posted:

I'm tempted to write up a quiz of real vs fake MTGO bugs. Some of them are just hard to believe.

Good Gamery did this about a year ago

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
After scouring tcg player for damaged copies of ensnaring bridge the last 2 months, I have finally completed my stronghold playset. Not only does this have heavy sentimental value considering I played a lot of my first magic in those days, but at this point I am convinced we aren't ever getting a non-lotto version of this ever again. I can't see them putting this in modern/vintage masters no matter the demand because this is a card that can cause limited stalemates. I doubt they have the balls to move this to mythic. This fucker might as well be on the reserved list with how WOTC is run these days. I am happy at getting them for 22 per. Now I can finally give back the one I borrowed and be happy until they ban it I guess.

Tired of wotc not reprinting cards like this. Unique mechanics need to exist.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 8, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I suspect there are a lot of "soft reserved" cards like that where they aren't on the list, but they aren't really in WotC's design space anymore and they're un-popular/controversial enough that we'll never see them again. A lot of the hosers from 8th and 9th edition fall into this (Blood Moon, Choke, etc.)

Also Frontier is the best format because it is the only format that lets you run 4x Treasure Cruise and 4x Dig Through Time in your deck.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

After scouring tcg player for damaged copies of ensnaring bridge the last 2 months, I have finally completed my stronghold playset. Not only does this have heavy sentimental value considering I played a lot of my first magic in those days, but at this point I am convinced we aren't ever getting a non-lotto version of this ever again. I can't see them putting this in modern/vintage masters no matter the demand because this is a card that can cause limited stalemates. I doubt they have the balls to move this to mythic. This fucker might as well be on the reserved list with how WOTC is run these days. I am happy at getting them for 22 per. Now I can finally give back the one I borrowed and be happy until they ban it I guess.

I feel like it wouldn't be problematic in a set where they printed Kor Sanctifiers, Conclave Naturalists, and Oxidda Scrapmelter all at common.

Honestly, in a return to New Phyrexia with heavy artifact matters themes it would also be weak enough, even at standard levels as opposed to Masters level.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

You really expect them to print artifact hate in Mirrodin 3?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

You really expect them to print artifact hate in Mirrodin 3?

Yes? They printed artifact hate in Kaladesh, too.

I expect the best artifact hate in Mirrodin 3 to be a 3/4 for 2W that may destroy target artifact and you gain 3 life, but I expect there to be about 10 cards that destroy or steal artifacts in Mirrordin 3. There are 7 in Kaladesh that destroy or steal artifacts, plus Malfunction which taps artifacts that tap down.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 8, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So how about that U/W panharmonicon deck that top 8'd that GP?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

pr0digal posted:

The MTG Buying/Selling megathread would be a good place to start, eBay as a last resort.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

Thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Time Spiral, and Future Sight in particular, probably turned Wizards off to unique mechanics in general.

I know it's not entirely the same thing, but didn't they launch New World Order card design right after that set? Or was that Alara (which was in development when TSP block was in print)?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Time Spiral, and Future Sight in particular, probably turned Wizards off to unique mechanics in general.

I know it's not entirely the same thing, but didn't they launch New World Order card design right after that set? Or was that Alara (which was in development when TSP block was in print)?

Alara was the first set designed with NWO fully in mind. Shadowmoor block had some elements of it attached to it apparently, but the idea wasn't fleshed out enough in time to let it really guide design. I think Time Spiral block was the big motivator, but Lorwyn/Morningtide had a ton of complexity going on as well, maybe less so in the cards themselves, but the boards got pretty insane.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The anecdote goes that the Morningtide employee prerelease was the first time Maro saw someone drop after the first round because board states were complex and having to care about race and class tribal cards at the same time was too much for people. NWO is a consequence of Lorwyn as much as it is a consequence of Time Spiral.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I understand why they felt NWO needed to be implemented I just don't get why they had to make all the cards lovely.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I understand why they felt NWO needed to be implemented I just don't get why they had to make all the cards lovely.

NWO is only commons. Everything else is market research or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also simple != lovely. We've gotten delver, wild nacatl, eldrazi skyspawner, and lots of other powerful commons since then.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GimmickMan posted:

The anecdote goes that the Morningtide employee prerelease was the first time Maro saw someone drop after the first round because board states were complex and having to care about race and class tribal cards at the same time was too much for people. NWO is a consequence of Lorwyn as much as it is a consequence of Time Spiral.

It also sucks because Lorwyn by itself really hit the sweet spot for this. Adding the class was just a bridge too far.

It is actually really hard for me to think of a block that actually got better to draft when they added sets. Playing around in the flashback drafts I always enjoyed doing triple of the large set more than any other.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It was especially whacky in old formats because the draft would start out exactly the same as a triple-large-set draft, but then your last pack (after you've already built 80% of your deck) was suddenly different. It made things really unfocused - you couldn't build around any of the cool cards in the new set, because there was no guarantee you'd ever see the particular one you were going for.

Swapping the order so that you draft newest-first was definitely one of the better changes they've made to the game.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

It also sucks because Lorwyn by itself really hit the sweet spot for this. Adding the class was just a bridge too far.

It is actually really hard for me to think of a block that actually got better to draft when they added sets. Playing around in the flashback drafts I always enjoyed doing triple of the large set more than any other.

Original RAV I'd the only exception I can think of. I really like drafting the whole block there.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Original RAV I'd the only exception I can think of. I really like drafting the whole block there.

Full-block RTR was also better than triple Gatecrash :v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Full-block RTR was also better than triple Gatecrash :v:

Triple RTR was better than DGR though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm pretty sure that Zen block was the first actual implementation of NWO.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Frontier should include all cards printed since Magic 2015. Commander sets, Modern Masters 2015, duel decks, Eternal Masters, etc.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Yea but that would be a new and original direction so...

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

I'm glad some one made it work. Both W/G and B/W made it far into day two. Marvel even made a come back.
I'm excited to try W/B planeswalkers again when mini languish is printed.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Mezzanon posted:

LSV said something along the lines of "This is a great deck for today, I'm not sure that it has any steam going forward but here in GP Denver where nobody is expecting it's great for this tournament"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

whydirt posted:

I'm pretty sure that Zen block was the first actual implementation of NWO.

yeah people love to use NWO as a buzzword for 'i think WotC is dumbing down the game' rants but Zendikar is the most simple non-core set of the modern era mechanically and people liked it a lot.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah people love to use NWO as a buzzword for 'i think WotC is dumbing down the game' rants but Zendikar is the most simple non-core set of the modern era mechanically and people liked it a lot.

I loved it for draft but am in the extreme minority. If you read any "favorite draft formats" here, it's usually some really grognardy time spiral/Lorwyn/Ravnica block shenanigans with 50 mechanics going on. The old magic players at the shops I've been to all cite one of those as their favorites.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

Who are these people who liked battle for zendikar? That can't be the majority.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I loved it for draft but am in the extreme minority. If you read any "favorite draft formats" here, it's usually some really grognardy time spiral/Lorwyn/Ravnica block shenanigans with 50 mechanics going on. The old magic players at the shops I've been to all cite one of those as their favorites.

Zendikar draft is kind of awkward since they forgot to put good defensive cards in the set so you got a lot of 'ships passing' aggro races, but it's from the pre-Limited Resources era where far fewer people were chain drafting on modo and limited formats were under a lot less scrutiny. so it was a highly well-received set at the time, but i think if it came out today it would fare pretty differently.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sickening posted:

Who are these people who liked battle for zendikar? That can't be the majority.

We're talking about Zendikar here, not Battle for Zendikar which is rightly considered one of the worst modern sets by everyone up to and including Mark Rosewater.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tales of Woe posted:

Zendikar draft is kind of awkward since they forgot to put good defensive cards in the set so you got a lot of 'ships passing' aggro races, but it's from the pre-Limited Resources era where far fewer people were chain drafting on modo and limited formats were under a lot less scrutiny. so it was a highly well-received set at the time, but i think if it came out today it would fare pretty differently.

Getting passed foil tarn and marsh flats and probably a misty too (idk where I got that one) probably helps rose-colored glasses in addition to when I got into MTG but the aggro race was p sweet.

I still can't believe that at one point, lotus cobra was in such hype that it was worth more than foil fetches

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 8, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Welp, it appears that even gideon is getting counterfeited in semi large quantities at the moment and done so in the US. Held one in my hands yesterday and side by side they were identical to the point where i had a hard time believing that one was fake. The only thing that gave it away after close inspection was the imperfect transfer of a foil sticker to the card. Considering the cost of a counterfeit playset appears to be 10$ and a real playset is 120$, i would spend extra time on any trades you do. The cards are glossy (not as glossy as the chinese ones) and probably don't pass the light test. Often the backs of the cards are a dead giveaway but these US folks seem to have taken a lot more care to that and the backs are all in normal variance range.. It also appears that kalitas, avancyn, and new lily are all in inventory for these sellers. There are already well known methods to get rid of the glossy feel and move the dumb sticker from a bulk rare. So if you deal with MTGfinance binder grinder stuff (LOL) , then watch out.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

No picture?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

odiv posted:

No picture?

My phone was dead at the time, I reached out today to get one.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Welp, it appears that even gideon is getting counterfeited in semi large quantities at the moment and done so in the US. Held one in my hands yesterday and side by side they were identical to the point where i had a hard time believing that one was fake. The only thing that gave it away after close inspection was the imperfect transfer of a foil sticker to the card. Considering the cost of a counterfeit playset appears to be 10$ and a real playset is 120$, i would spend extra time on any trades you do. The cards are glossy (not as glossy as the chinese ones) and probably don't pass the light test. Often the backs of the cards are a dead giveaway but these US folks seem to have taken a lot more care to that and the backs are all in normal variance range.. It also appears that kalitas, avancyn, and new lily are all in inventory for these sellers. There are already well known methods to get rid of the glossy feel and move the dumb sticker from a bulk rare. So if you deal with MTGfinance binder grinder stuff (LOL) , then watch out.

I own playsets of all of these cards and am not upset by this at all.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've handled some counterfeits in the past week, and I can say they're REALLY good, but the light test is your best friend. These claimed to pass it and it does do better than most, but if you get really familiar with exactly what you expect from your exact light on a real card it's easy to spot.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like if they're sleeved in a deck and you don't have a genuine one as reference right next to it they're for practical purposes perfect then.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It sounds like if they're sleeved in a deck and you don't have a genuine one as reference right next to it they're for practical purposes perfect then.

Yes. Sleeved I would not be able to tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Tales of Woe posted:

We're talking about Zendikar here, not Battle for Zendikar which is rightly considered one of the worst modern sets by everyone up to and including Mark Rosewater.

Apparently the 'everybody'that considers Battle for Zendikar the worst modern sets is also the 'everybody' that made Battle for Zendikar the best-selling set of all time.

• Locked thread