Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Obstacle2 posted:

I deployed with one of the authors of the new COIN manual as the commander of my infantry battalion and we pretty much exclusively performed COIN operations. A lot of public works poo poo, get people on your side. Remain visible, build relationships, etc. It was very successful and the province we were in was the safest it had ever been during the war. Saw totally bloodless provincial elections in 2008-2009.

His PhD thesis was about using sociological theoretical framework to analyze social networks within insurgencies/terrorist groups to determine a way to disrupt them.

The reality is though that every year a new battalion runs in and you are just as likely (probably more) to get a shithead battalion commander as one that cares about hearts and minds.

The Army is also very much interested in teaching nuance and ethnic divides to its soldiers but the implementation is poo poo. At NTC there are classes given to soldiers on this very subject but often it just gets tasked out to the lowest ranking privates rather than NCOs and officers who might come back and teach their soldiers. There is a failure by leadership to teach the principles of COIN, basically.

Cool, thanks. This echoes a lot of what I just read in Andrew Bracevich's America's War for the Greater Middle East. He was saying there was a rather scattershot effort in terms of implementation of COIN in Afghanistan as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

Team Yankee is in 1985

87, and it was a great game :colbert:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

dtkozl posted:

I would like to read a good defense of COIN because my entire knowledge of it comes from a few college courses and the war nerd podcast.

I think the most open problem is trying to find successful COIN operations that don't devolve into people arguing over whether something is or isn't counterinsurgency or even a success. As for successes off the top of my head we have what, Israel? the Boer War? Both are problematic because in the first you are talking pure oppression by the other ethnic group in the region and in the latter you have a bunch of tactics that aren't going to play well with gamers because they are not considered war crimes. You look at the board game COIN series and a lot of that just isn't really like the Gallic campaigns by caesar. I guess Philippines was a success.

The Malayan Emergency tends to come up a lot in these discussions as a success for anti-guerilla tactics.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ultimate General Civil War caught me out. I'm a dumb Brit with little knowledge of the American Civil War, and I didn't know Shiloh was a multi day brutal slog of a battle for the Union. I picked a terrible battle to experiment with a high impact shock cavalry at the expense of buying more supplies. Sucks that you can't repeatedly detach skirmishers though, would make retreats a lot easier.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

PleasingFungus posted:

The Malayan Emergency tends to come up a lot in these discussions as a success for anti-guerilla tactics.

Yeah, but it (like Sri Lanka/Tamils, another commonly cited "successful" case) had many unique factors that helped make success possible, from geographic and a lack of foreign support for guerrillas, to racial divisions between Chinese guerrillas and Malay allies of the British, to an end goal other than "everyone lives together happily ever after in a free and fair democracy", and others. Malaysia seems to be the exception, not the rule, when you look at 20th/21st century insurgencies and civil wars.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Well I wouldn't call Malaysia the exception, after all the exact same thing happened in Thailand to the chinese peasants. They were brutally suppressed and Thailand was another domino that didn't fall. I think it just goes to show the problem with the myopic view the US had at that time where it tried to force everything in a neat little box of communism vs capitalism and completely ignored the ethnic/sectarian fissures in the region. If the Malays were mostly communist and the Chinese anticommunist, we probably would have seen a much different result in Malaysia. We could have stopped the Khmer Rouge as well by simply supporting their anti-vietnamese ethnic hatreds early on, but no one in the west wants to pony up to that one.

I think it is the same problem we have with getting a good cold war game. We are accepting this world view that was predominate at the time and which most major decisions were based on because there is just a preponderance of literature accepting that world view as fact because it is easier. We now know of course it is false. We now know that the USSR could never have launched a first strike through the Fulda gap, that most of its military was a paper tiger, and even before the berlin wall fell their missiles were rotting in the ground. It was the west's jingoism that was real, its first strike forces were real, and it always held the reins when it came to military aggression. You would have to dismiss contemporary US reports, histories, and foreign policy as based on bad intelligence and pure propaganda, fundamentally shift the built in ideological poles we have as sons of the west, and completely re-write the popular reality of the time when it comes to military and economic capabilities.

Plus no one wants to make the us a bad guy that kicks off ww3.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 7, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Baloogan your bad game is trying to convince me to not play other, much worse, games.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
And now for an actually unpopular opinion: Alea Jacta Est is a good game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The only thing I don't like about it is the AGEOD. The map is slow and stutters, the turns take forever but it's fun and the scenarios are cool. I've played it more than any other AGEOD game and it's really the only one I come back to.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I still play russian civil war and the american civil war ones. Honestly almost every game I play (combat mission, total war, ATG) has bad load times so I'm kinda immune to that sort of thing now. A SSD and a fast CPU makes things quick enough for me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
But can you form armies of naked German men with huge dicks swords in the civil war games?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dtkozl posted:

Well I wouldn't call Malaysia the exception, after all the exact same thing happened in Thailand to the chinese peasants. They were brutally suppressed and Thailand was another domino that didn't fall. I think it just goes to show the problem with the myopic view the US had at that time where it tried to force everything in a neat little box of communism vs capitalism and completely ignored the ethnic/sectarian fissures in the region. If the Malays were mostly communist and the Chinese anticommunist, we probably would have seen a much different result in Malaysia. We could have stopped the Khmer Rouge as well by simply supporting their anti-vietnamese ethnic hatreds early on, but no one in the west wants to pony up to that one.

I think it is the same problem we have with getting a good cold war game. We are accepting this world view that was predominate at the time and which most major decisions were based on because there is just a preponderance of literature accepting that world view as fact because it is easier. We now know of course it is false. We now know that the USSR could never have launched a first strike through the Fulda gap, that most of its military was a paper tiger, and even before the berlin wall fell their missiles were rotting in the ground. It was the west's jingoism that was real, its first strike forces were real, and it always held the reins when it came to military aggression. You would have to dismiss contemporary US reports, histories, and foreign policy as based on bad intelligence and pure propaganda, fundamentally shift the built in ideological poles we have as sons of the west, and completely re-write the popular reality of the time when it comes to military and economic capabilities.

Plus no one wants to make the us a bad guy that kicks off ww3.

I'm not sure the true nature of the Cold War really makes for an interesting game compared to Allan Dulles fantasyland.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of COIN, how is that Roman Britain COIN game? Looks interesting maybe?

Lum_ posted:

Twilight Struggle is a fantastic abstract game about resource management and bidding. If you try to play it as a Cold War wargame you'll be *very* disappointed.

I'm pretty sure I remember an interview where they said something like "Oh we were just trying to create a thematically rich and evocative board game" which I think you can kinda tell from playing it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah the designers notes for TS explicitly spell out that they know its bullshit and they were trying to create a fun game that made you feel like you're watching a hyperbolic 50s newsreel rather than a simulation of the actual cold war. Falling Sky (Caesar's COIN) is pretty good, it has cool asymmetry between the factions and manages to make it feel like a new take on COIN operations while also keeping it grounded in the core systems of the series.

Wasn't Korsun Pocket designed by a guy who worked for an outfit called People's Wargaming? I feel you could tap into a niche with leftist wargaming

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also on the subject of opium in Afganistan, one of the factions in A Distant Plain (the Warlords) has opium fields for bases. Technically the US is opposed to them but in practice they're actually more natural allies than the Afghan Government. The Government can eradicate those fields at the cost of support and potential Taliban guerilla activity in order to hurt the Warlords, accrue patronage (their victory condition, representing the strength of the government to aid its allies) and gain foreign aid from the US. So they eradicate the opium to hurt the US's natural ally, advance their own victory, hurt the US's victory, and increase Taliban forces- and the US pays them to do it

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh fuckin put me into leftist wargaming

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm one of those people that will get irl mad if the 92nd Inf. Div isn't in the final Fortress Italy upgrade.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

algebra testes posted:

Speaking of COIN, how is that Roman Britain COIN game? Looks interesting maybe?

Pendragon is interesting because instead of focusing on insurgency it uses the basic mechanisms for a different kind of system. It's got a lot more going on than Falling Sky, for example. Should be very interesting to play.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Quick googling and file searching from my copy suggests that the WorldRTW.LYR file is the one you'll have to modify. You can open the file in notepad, and you can spot some actual words (City Names, Countries, etc) but its mostly "random" characters.

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/54111/how-to-explain-what-layer-file-lyr-in-arcgis-desktop-is

Thanks for that - actually upgrading to the latest patch also worked which I should have thought of :3:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dtkozl posted:

I still play russian civil war and the american civil war ones. Honestly almost every game I play (combat mission, total war, ATG) has bad load times so I'm kinda immune to that sort of thing now. A SSD and a fast CPU makes things quick enough for me.

I'm probably going to regret this and so will you if you accept but would you like to PBEM Revolution Under Siege? I have never done it but have looked at it and the system is a mess but might be doable. I'm a terrible player btw.

even better (worse), how about a three player PBEM! :q:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Pendragon is interesting because instead of focusing on insurgency it uses the basic mechanisms for a different kind of system. It's got a lot more going on than Falling Sky, for example. Should be very interesting to play.

I was burnt out on the system by the time Liberty or Death came out, and was very cold to Falling Sky, but Pendragon looks really good and excites me about the system again.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Nenonen posted:

I'm probably going to regret this and so will you if you accept but would you like to PBEM Revolution Under Siege? I have never done it but have looked at it and the system is a mess but might be doable. I'm a terrible player btw.

even better (worse), how about a three player PBEM! :q:

Sure, do you have the gold version?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

That's a pretty fun game to PBEM, you can do co-op against the Reds too (one player for the Southern Whites, another player for the Siberians)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just thought I'd check out of curiosity if WitW has a new patch since I last played

:what:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think that was the fastest patch they ever implemented too. Insider sources claim its because they were afraid their userbase would be forced to modernize their gaming rigs and, as a result, start demanding expecting more from grog games.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dtkozl posted:

Sure, do you have the gold version?

Yep. Do you want to host the game? I'm open for grand campaign, Russo-Polish war or Drang Nacht Ost, all the same. Grand campaign wise playing as Southern & Siberian Whites might be fun, too.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I finally spent some time with WitW and I'm feeling pretty mixed. On one hand I can see a lot going on with the air war, but on the other I have no idea on impact, effectiveness, or even if I'm setting it up right. Are my losses too high? Low? Just right? The amphibious invasion mechanism is weird and gives very little info to let you know how long until it's ready. Same with the airborne mechanism. Then naval movement is something else entirely, and god forbid if you try and figure out if a port can move those units inland.

It's missing that sweeping sense of grandeur I get from War in the East, not to mention in that game I can have no idea what I'm doing interface wise and still take Minsk, or even Leningrad. I really want to like War in the West, but it needs another layer of polish. Hopefully they can get the issues worked out in time for WitEV2. The air mechanic really does need work in WitE, but I'm not sure the current implementation is the right one to do it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My only problem with naval interface is sometimes Ike gets stuck in England because all the support units go to him for assignment and as such his "unit" is too big to ship because he has all the superfluous AA and artillery attachments.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yooper posted:

I finally spent some time with WitW and I'm feeling pretty mixed. On one hand I can see a lot going on with the air war, but on the other I have no idea on impact, effectiveness, or even if I'm setting it up right. Are my losses too high? Low? Just right?

This was really the problem I had with Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich and it's still not really fixed with WITW.

They give you all the tools for planning air missions, but don't give you any sort of context as to how well you're doing. Recon missions to perform BDA on struck sites has to be a completely separate mission, but even if you always did it and you always got 100% post-bombing intel, that still doesn't tell you how badly you're hurting the German war machine and/or how well your losses are keeping up with historical numbers.

At least with HPS Sims's Defending The Reich, there's a plot of how much acreage was historically torched by Bomber Command week-on-week, so you can play the game as a sort of "time trial" against Bomber Harris's record.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I hate that I always try to find the perfect massive-scale Western Front game, and it always ends up being a scenario in TOAoW3 rather than a standalone game.

Maybe one day...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think that was the fastest patch they ever implemented too. Insider sources claim its because they were afraid their userbase would be forced to modernize their gaming rigs and, as a result, start demanding expecting more from grog games.

The greatest lie ever sold to grog gamers is that hardware and OSes stopped developing after 2001.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

nessin posted:

Has anyone tried Sovereignty Crown of Kings? I've mostly ignored it as a early access title on Steam but since it's on sale if it's looking to be a decent game I might pick it up.

bad. they decided to redo the engine rather than fix any of the underlying problems or add fun stuff to do, and then gave up. so it's still a lovely broken alpha but in c++

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

corn in the bible posted:

bad. they decided to redo the engine rather than fix any of the underlying problems or add fun stuff to do, and then gave up. so it's still a lovely broken alpha but in c++

They just patched it yesterday.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Sovereignty has been worse than it currently is, but I'm not sure it'll get much better than it is (which is mediocre).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

dtkozl posted:

I would like to read a good defense of COIN because my entire knowledge of it comes from a few college courses and the war nerd podcast.

I think the most open problem is trying to find successful COIN operations that don't devolve into people arguing over whether something is or isn't counterinsurgency or even a success. As for successes off the top of my head we have what, Israel? the Boer War?
Malaya was the classic 1950s into sixties example of a successful COIN campaign, the RAND boys who wanted to work out how to win in Vietnam interviewed more retired British brigadiers than you can shake a stick at.

Then the British tried the same tactics in Northern Ireland and it didn't really work for a number of reasons, such as:

- If you kill basically anyone, let alone a whole village in Northern Ireland, people are going to find out and care.
- Americans + Libyans sending the IRA + pals guns just to gently caress with the British (did not happen in Malaya, happened a bit in Aden but the UAR and both flavours of Yemeni were all backing different sides)
- Splitting up the country was the exact aim of the people who kicked off the Troubles, so there was no "fortified hamlet" type thing that was a good idea (although Catholics and Protestents sort of self-organised them).
- Flooding a country with soldiers and police looks even more absurd and reactionary when there isn't a rainforest or any mountains for guerrillas to hide in.
- The police were the main source of grievance, and because everyone spoke English, there was no reason the BA couldn't have worked that out almost instantly, which made them look bad when the RUC wasn't 100% entirely replaced on day one (which is what they were sort of originally there to do!).

North Yemen was an arguably successful COIN operation at great cost for the UAR/YAR and with nasty tactics like the very prevalent use of chemical weapons by Egyptian forces on Yemeni civilians and Royalist insurgents alike (and even then, the government that came out of the war was a mix of Royalists and Republicans).

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
Regarding Norm Koger, he posts every once in a while about what he is working on. It sounds like another game with a 3d engine. Unless it goes up on Steam I doubt I will buy anything he does again after the cock up that happened with Jutland and Distant Guns.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

vyshka posted:

Regarding Norm Koger, he posts every once in a while about what he is working on. It sounds like another game with a 3d engine. Unless it goes up on Steam I doubt I will buy anything he does again after the cock up that happened with Jutland and Distant Guns.

What happened? All I can piece together is he sold the distro rights to some Russians and they shafted him. You think he could get it back and Steam release it himself?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is steam and iron worth a purchase after playing the hell out of rule the waves?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I downloaded the demo for S&I and decided no, that RtW fit the bill for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is steam and iron worth a purchase after playing the hell out of rule the waves?

No