Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Holy poo poo, so is Ignis now blind? Could I have prevented that?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was that scene cut from the final game? Cause that kinda seems like a major thing any other game, movie, comic, book, would have shown.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If it helps, the ending of the game is pretty great. Honestly I think it's one of the better ones in the franchise.

Even if people are still debating if the wedding scene was the afterlife or some reversed timeline.
Simple. It's their final fantasy. Then the post-clear start-screen art and song and visuals come up and another tear falls. Wish FF13 series had been with endings this nonshite.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was that scene cut from the final game? Cause that kinda seems like a major thing any other game, movie, comic, book, would have shown.
DLC

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I seem to have made 9999 damage magic entirely by accident.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just realized Ignis won't be able to chauffeur for me any more. :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nina posted:

I seem to have made 9999 damage magic entirely by accident.

Frankly it's harder not to make 9999 damage beyond a certain point.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

TopHatGenius posted:

I ran into that encounter TWICE and man it really burned me out on Costlemark Tower. First time I managed to easily pass it by having Ramuh pop up early in the fight and own just about everything except for the Nagarani (which died in 1 hit afterwards).

Second encounter was much less fortunate and I managed to scrape out a victory after using soo many consumables. I love how they make you fight three of some of the most damage resistant enemies and then add in one more who can easily Toad/Stone you.

I haven't done Costlemark yet but gently caress the Nagarini, I think that is the best thing to fight to highlight the issues I have with the combat system. Trying to lock onto an appendage of a thing flying around all over the place without a constant lock mechanism and things shifting all over, then every 5 seconds of combat having to go into inventory to down 2-4 potions to scroll through looking for a myriad of status ailment cures, potions, and elixirs. Sure I appreciate active combat, but why the gently caress couldn't one of the skill trees allow me to turn Ignis into a white mage that does a better job at party healer? constantly pausing to pop consumables just makes the fights like that incredibly frustrating and not at all fun.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I encountered a single Coeurl at around level 28 and it wiped my whole party in seconds. What? I've fought higher level enemies at lower levels (like Gigantoads) and came away without a scratch.

Speaking of, is there a good way to keep Ignis and Prompto from getting mulched in combat? Prompto especially is an Elixer-hog in dungeons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not a big deal since there's only one driving section afterwards; anytime you use Umbra after that you go back to the time where Ignis still has vision.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not a big deal since there's only one driving section afterwards; anytime you use Umbra after that you go back to the time where Ignis still has vision.

Ah. Am I being lead to the endgame at this point? This might be the shortest Final Fantasy they've ever made. (Yes, I know the majority of the game is sidequests.)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Deified Data posted:

I encountered a single Coeurl at around level 28 and it wiped my whole party in seconds. What? I've fought higher level enemies at lower levels (like Gigantoads) and came away without a scratch.

Speaking of, is there a good way to keep Ignis and Prompto from getting mulched in combat? Prompto especially is an Elixer-hog in dungeons.

Coeurls are just really badass in this game. The hunt where you have to fight five of the bastards is easily the hardest one I've done so far.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah. Am I being lead to the endgame at this point? This might be the shortest Final Fantasy they've ever made. (Yes, I know the majority of the game is sidequests.)

More or less yes, but you can always go back to do sidequests with Umbra. The game more or less railroads you for a while though, so you won't get that option til around the end of chapter 13.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's why you've got Umbra, the dog capable of time travel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Once you get past Chapter 9 it is a straight shot to the ending, yeah.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Coeurls are just really badass in this game. The hunt where you have to fight five of the bastards is easily the hardest one I've done so far.

When I rolled up and that hunt and saw FIVE of them I knew I was in for a tough battle.

Then Shiva popped up like 2 minutes into that fight and Diamond Dusted those fuckers out of existence.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do summons offer their help at random or do they only show up for specific fights? So far the only summons I've had was Ramuh during "Engage the Empire". Was that scripted?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bear is driving! posted:

When I rolled up and that hunt and saw FIVE of them I knew I was in for a tough battle.

Then Shiva popped up like 2 minutes into that fight and Diamond Dusted those fuckers out of existence.

I, unfortunately, was determined to do that hunt before I had the Armiger skill or a summon, mostly because I didn't know those existed. I mostly warp striked away from them and tossed magic everytime it was off cooldown. Gravisphere helped. But basically, gently caress Coeurls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Do summons offer their help at random or do they only show up for specific fights? So far the only summons I've had was Ramuh during "Engage the Empire". Was that scripted?

They show up at certain scripted points but otherwise show up semi-randomly under specific conditions which mostly amount to "you're getting your rear end kicked."

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

More or less yes, but you can always go back to do sidequests with Umbra. The game more or less railroads you for a while though, so you won't get that option til around the end of chapter 13.

Where "more railroads" actually involves a ride on a railroad, no less.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

They show up at certain scripted points but otherwise show up semi-randomly under specific conditions which mostly amount to "you're getting your rear end kicked."

Either I don't understand the criteria or the triggers are buggy, because Ramuh wanted to help my level 74 team out against some level 12 Vorethingies in a battle that had been raging for seconds.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

Either I don't understand the criteria or the triggers are buggy, because Ramuh wanted to help my level 74 team out against some level 12 Vorethingies in a battle that had been raging for seconds.

Well did you let him?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Deified Data posted:

Well did you let him?

What Ramuh wants, Ramuh gets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Ramuh apparently builds up 'charge' as you're walking around so he's the one who is most reliable to show up when you're not getting your rear end kicked and will just offer help after a while.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Ramuh apparently builds up 'charge' as you're walking around so he's the one who is most reliable to show up when you're not getting your rear end kicked and will just offer help after a while.

That explains a lot. I still haven't seen Titan once but I've probably summoned Ramuh a dozen times in maybe 5 hours of gameplay. He shows up a LOT.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
^Ramuh is also the only summon that can appear indoors, apparently.

I just had Titan show up just as the final fight started. The fight just kept on going even though the boss' life bar was empty, which goes to show it's only a glorified QTE.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo the dialog in dungeons is bad. No Promto I don't need to hear about how dark it is or how it's cold or how spooky that sound was that didn't actually deserve an effect in the game. Yes I know I'm walking across a loving bridge. And for the love of god Square if you're going to have dialog triggers space them out so that walking forward at a normal pace doesn't fire them all off over top of each other.

Also I really don't get why sometimes Ignis throws his Enhancement element ball at me and sometimes it teleports me all up in his grill. Maybe I had a good position and didn't want to be in the middle of a mob of enemies!

e: also Gladio I'm going to need you to stop getting hung up on poo poo in the environment and actually land your technique attacks thanks

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ImpAtom posted:

Sometimes they seem to be completely random. Yesterday I had Shiva appear at the beginning of a fight with some lvl27 daemons, the fight hadn't even been going on long enough for anyone in my party to get hit.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
The adamantoise fight is really bad

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Deified Data posted:

Coeurls are some daemon level poo poo. They move crazy fast, hit crazy hard, and can loving rest for ALL of their HP.

Most likely you got hit by their Blaster attack which not only does crazy lightning damage but has a fairly good chance of instantly killing you. That attack looks like they're charging energy on their whiskers and then attacking you with them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think dungeons are ok, but I hate how it makes you do the cautious walk animation.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bear is driving! posted:

I get that they're tough, but I just did that hunt at level 55 and it's like a level 34 hunt. The fuckers would be hardly touching me and then suddenly I'd be dying and have to pop a Phoenix down. I popped more Phoenix down in that hunt then probably the rest of the game combined. I think there's something buggy about them because there wasn't an attack animation or anything that I could tell when they would instakill me

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MMD3 posted:

I get that they're tough, but I just did that hunt at level 55 and it's like a level 34 hunt. The fuckers would be hardly touching me and then suddenly I'd be dying and have to pop a Phoenix down. I popped more Phoenix down in that hunt then probably the rest of the game combined. I think there's something buggy about them because there wasn't an attack animation or anything that I could tell when they would instakill me

They have a insta-death attack and it's not really well telegraphed, especially when there's 5 of them and combat with more than about 2 things tends to be a tumbling clusterfuck that's impossible to read any telegraphs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think dungeons are ok, but I hate how it makes you do the cautious walk animation.

Only when there's daemons nearby. Otherwise you run normally. I don't find it too annoying. In a certain dungeon I did last night, I rather welcomed it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I just read that coeurls have an even stronger variant :froggonk:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ROFL Octopus posted:

I just read that coeurls have an even stronger variant :froggonk:

Is that one Coerul that ambushes you outside the second royal arms tomb still hanging out there? I ran from him because there was no way I was taking him down then,but I'm up for a spot of revenge.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Coeurls are like a 99% safe bet to win with in the arena, and I like it, I think it fits. Reminds me of a cat I used to own get owned by.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Levantine posted:

Is that one Coerul that ambushes you outside the second royal arms tomb still hanging out there? I ran from him because there was no way I was taking him down then,but I'm up for a spot of revenge.

It's a hunt.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

I thought hunts only appeared when you took them. That thing was just out there after the second royal tomb.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Is gathering royal arms essential to the story or should I treat them as basically unmarked sidequests? Just randomly ran into one in a dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Levantine posted:

I thought hunts only appeared when you took them. That thing was just out there after the second royal tomb.

I didn't see one in my game, but there's definitely a tougher coeurl in a hunt that's like Rank 4 or 5.

• Locked thread